Start by marking “Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)

Strange Skies

(Burn Out #2)

Caelia is the new Earth. That's what the Consulate told everyone and, against all odds, Tora finally has made it there. She can't see the ocean from her cell in the Consulate's containment center,
Published April 28th 2015 by Carolrhoda Lab

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

A thrilling second installment, STRANGE SKIES was more then I anticipated, and left me yearning for more! After reading book one, and not really liking it as much as I hope too, but still liking it enough to have me wanting to read the sequel, I was a little reluctant to read STRANGE SKIES. But no worries, because STRANGE SKIES has proved to be more thrilling then I ever hoped, and surpassed it's predecessor in more ways then one.

Kristi Helvig steps up the plot in this action-packed seq
Giselle
Strange Skies was a bit of a slow read for me. Honestly it might had something to do with the fact that I just finished watching The Martian movie and was in a huge science-fiction mood.

Caelia is one character that needs to be read because she smart, brave and will do anything to save the people that she loves. In short, she's a wonderful heroine for all the readers out there. This one has some great action and an even better story arc, though I found that I didn't enjoy the pacing as much as I
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (EgmontUSA) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Strange Skies is the sequel to Burn Out. The story takes place 3 months after the cliffhanger ending to Burn Out. Tora Reynolds isn't in Kansas anymore. In fact, she's no longer on Planet Earth where the sun is so hot, that it quickly kills anyone not wearing a spac
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
4.5/5 Stars

An action-packed and sexy sequel to Burn Out. It keeps the same fast-pace that started Tora's journey and it seems that these characters can never catch a break. Tora continues to be a badass and I love her so much. This book is officially released in 7 days and I'm already dying for the third book. I had some minor problems with Strange Skies but nothing that I couldn't overlook. I am ecstatic that my suspicions about James were right but that's the only spoilery thing I will say abo
Kristi Helvig
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Oh wait, is this my own book? ;)
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to EgmontUSA and NetGalley

Point of View: Single (Tora)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: Caelia (Fictional World)
Genre: Young Adult | Science Fiction/Dystopia

It's 3 months after the event happened in the first book, and now Tora is being kept under surveillance of the Consulate. There she has been drugged and tortured. Tora is able to escaped, and now she's out for blood and revenge.

I was super excited to read this book because I really loved the prior book in the series, Bu
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
So first off...I have a serious weakness for YA survival stories and dystopians and I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Burn Out. Burn Out was so different than anything I have ever read before....a world where the sun is so hot that you can't walk outside without being burned and dying within minutes.

Strange Skies picks up about 3 months in the future from where Burn Out ended. Tora has been captured and is being kept by the Consulate by staying drugged and basically unconscious.
Louisa
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book, so good, great to see these characters again, and yeah, I can't wait for the next book!
Lynne Matson
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AN AMAZING SEQUEL. I still want more!!!!!!:) My mind is still kind of blown.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: I enjoyed this second installment, though I was more disconnected from Tora in this novel.

Opening Sentence: The boy raced away from me, looking at something in the distance.

The Review:

**Warning!** This review will contain lots and lots of spoilers from book one, so beware! In Burn Out, we met Tora, living alone on a ravaged Earth. The sun sent out a massive solar flare that toasted the planet, so she is living alone in a bunker, her only wat
Tammy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I randomly came across the book along with its sequel at my local library and thought why not. I'm so glad I decided to read them. I couldn't wait to see how everything unfolded. Can we make it a trilogy?! I'd love to know how all the whatifs!!!
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
I can't figure out why I thought this book was just average. The main character? The audio narration by Suzy Jackson was really good. It's not better than the first book but certainly just as good.

One thing I think authors do that trips them up is inconsistency with language. If you're going to set a story in the future, then drop the slang we use now. I know language changes, but the antagonist in this story was "cussing" and said "Hitler!" Unless he's a history aficionado, I doubt he'd even k
Trisha Perry
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tora is rescued from the Consulates hold, but not before she finds out her father is also alive and held in their grasp. Tora and others in the resistance must save him and his weapons before they fall into the Consulates hands and can be used against them and seal the Consulates reign forever, but are all the people in the resistance there for the right reasons and to help Tora, her father, and her friends?

This is the second book in the Burn Out series, and this one does not disappoint it to is
Rachel
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this novel via Netgalley for an honest review.
An amazing sequel to Burn Out. This novel picks up a few months after the last left off, but everything is still in a fog for Tora and she does not know who she can and cannot trust entirely. As Tora begins to see the new planet of Caelia, and absolutely fall in love with it, she also needs to learn who is loyal to her cause of not letting her father's weapons get into the wrong hands.
Another action packed novel from th
Jaye
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced sequel to Helvig's debut Burn Out. In this chapter, we're off Earth on a new planet, yet still fighting the Consulate. In a fast-paced, action-filled adventure, Helvig keeps us wondering who we should trust and who we shouldn't, a question that's never really answered till the explosive end. There's also a romance that adds just enough heat and spark to keep readers feeling the feels. Burn Out readers will love seeing where the characters go next!
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tora's just as spunky as ever, with a whole new world to conquer and a guy who's got a lot of 'splainin' to do after what happened in BURN OUT. It's hard to forgive a guy who's shot you -- or is it?

Lots of surprises, plenty of action, gun-play, and snappy comebacks, Strange Skies is everything you loved about Burn Out and then some!
Kelsey
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Amanda (Born Bookish)
I enjoyed this one a lot less than the first book. The cheesiness factor skyrocketed and so many of the plot points were flimsy at best.
Isis
I would like to thank Egmont & NetGalley for granting me a copy of this e-book to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Goodreads Teaser: "Action, adventure, and romance are heating up in this sequel to the futuristic science fiction thriller Burn Out. Perfect for fans of Across the Universe and The Memory of After.

Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, arc

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

The first book in the series, Burn Out, had some interesting ideas that was let down by somewhat poor writing. I reviewed it well, however, due to liking the snarkiness of the main character. Book two, however, feels very much like a sophomore effort in which the author ran out of story in book one and is prolonging this into a trilogy. As such, the problems with writing, pace, and characters in the first book are magnif
Kasey
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
* I received this book from the author and Rockstar Book Tours in exchange for an honest review*

This book picks up a few months after the events of Burn Out. Tora is clearly out of it and drugged. This left me feeling very confused because at the end of Burn Out, she was talking to the Consulate and grateful for their appearance. It quickly becomes clear that their help was conditional on Tora helping with the guns. Which no one, especially Tora would help the Consulate with the guns. Tora esca
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After procrastinating on whether or not to read Burn Out, I finally just skimmed through it. It’s not that I didn’t want to know the details of this plot, I just never had time to just sit and read. That said, I couldn’t really get into this book and it’s totally my fault. It felt weird from the start, but I kept reading. By the end, I can say that I want to read the next book and maybe go back and really read Burn Out. There are many questions that need answering for me, and it’s only fair that ...more
Mrs. Kenyon
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-audiobooks
Tora has finally made it to the new Earth. Unfortunately, she isn’t able to enjoy the clean air or the abundant water because she is being kept in the Consulate’s containment center under constant observation. She has no memory of what happened to the weapons her father risked his life for, but when a chance to escape presents itself … she makes a run for it with the help of an unexpected group of individuals. As she questions the loyalties of those around her, she must determine which crisis wi ...more
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now that Tora has finally made it to the new Earth, Caelia, she has even more problems since she happens to be enjoying the new planet from a cell. How will she find James? How will she get out so she can find her father's weapons that he died for? And the big question...is there anyone she can trust?

My thoughts: This was just as thrilling a ride as book 1 was. I had been waiting for this one for some time but wasn't disappointed at all. Helvig did a great job of continuing Tora's adventurous s
Shannon
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, arc-galley
I was a huge fan of Burn Out. Tora was an absolute badass. She thought she was the last person on Earth but she survived. She knew people wanted her dad's weapons and she was going to go down fighting.

I can understand Tora changing her priorities once she finds out her dad is really alive. But she's lost the spark that made her awesome. She's become love sick and a bit pathetic.

While the book is nearly 300 pages, not a lot happens. She escapes to Caelia, she sees trees and the ocean, she eats
Sophi Frost
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh Kristi, this book was fantastic! I am very impressed with the earth like planet you created and the interaction between the characters. I was elated and deflated by the situation you created for Tora's father. I had hoped to know him better. I adore Alex, and his unwavering affection for Tora and his angel. As far as James is concerned, I trust him a little more, but I am reserved in my enthusiasm for him. I am breathlessly awaiting for the next novel.
Sarah Capps
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fast read on par with the first book. In fact, I didn't actually believe the book was over and kept checking to make sure I hadn't actually skipped ahead somehow.

Our main character Tora, gets some character development as she learns how to function in her knew world with actual people around her. This story has a little romance, plenty of action, and an easy to follow narrative.

I was provided with an advance copy of this book to review via NetGalley.
Susan
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-read
I read this book because I had received the second book in the series in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I do not usually like science fiction, so I was not expecting to like it, but I did. Unfortunately, it is a believable possibility. There is lots of action and you have no idea what is going to happen next or who is on which side. As soon as I finished it, I jumped right into the next book.
Alisha
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars*

Strange Skies is a great action packed sequel. Not quite as fast-paced and suspenseful as Burn Out but it was still a good read. I really enjoyed reading about these characters and the world of Caelia. Overall, a good read and I am looking forward to the next book!
Kelsey Ketch
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not as thrilling and suspenseful as the first novel, Burn Out, but definitely a great read. I can't wait for the third.

• Rebellion (Extraction, #2)
  • Blackout (Annum Guard, #2)
  • Moirai (Aberrant, #2)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)
  • Uniquely Unwelcome (The Shadow World, #1)
  • Imaginable (Intangible, #2)
  • Wisteria (Wisteria, #1)
  • Chantress Fury (Chantress, #3)
  • The Vault (The Farm, #3)
  • The Darkness Within
  • Charmed Deception
  • Dark Horizons (The Red Sector Chronicles #2)
  • Invasion (Last Princess, #2)
  • Darkthaw (Winterkill, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Ascendancy (The Van Winkle Project, #2)
  • Submerged (Outbreak, #1)
  • Infected
Kristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. She muses about Star Trek, space monkeys, and other assorted topics on her blog. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and behaviorally-challenged dogs.

Burn Out (2 books)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)