Start by marking “Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation: How Silicon Valley Will Make Oil, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal, Electric Utilities and Conventional Cars Obsolete by 2030” as Want to Read:

The industrial age of energy and transportation will be over by 2030. Maybe before. Exponentially improving technologies such as solar, electric vehicles, and autonomous (self-driving) cars will disrupt and sweep away the energy and transportation industries as we know it. The same Silicon Valley ecosystem that created bit-based technologies that have disrupted atom-based ...more
Published June 16th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation

Bert Long
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and, to some degree, scary book although it is not a fictional novel. I saw the author present at a conference late last year, and his illustration of when-thing-change, they change quickly feels dead on. I am not sure I agree with the timeframes he is projecting, but even if he is off by a rough order of magnitude, we are in for a interesting ride.

I found myself shaking my head repeatedly, in awe of some of the stupidity that we as a Americans and/or humans exhibit
Jim Rossi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book read like a really long ad or a MBA student's overly long, overly quantitative business plan - long on numbers, short on critical analysis.

I just graduated with a Masters degree in History, with solar energy as a focus. Seba has mastery of number-crunching, but very little sense of history, why the grid has been so successful for over a century, or the risk of unintended consequences. He makes no mention about the privacy risks that the "clean disruption" he describes will
Jose Papo
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's great to read a book that details how Moore's Law Economics is really taking shape in the Energy and Transportation industries. The author details the technologies and companies who are disrupting our actual Oil-driven economies. And also how Solar Energy is lowering in capital costs and its combination with advanced electric storage batteries and electric vehicles will change our world for the better very fast.
Jane Richards
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superb analysis of the future of #solar and #EVs and the demise of fossil fuels. Recommended to my #cleantech friends... and thanks to my hubbie for such a great Xmas present.
Rohit Grover
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Has he been paid heavily by battery and Solar companies to give these lectures and write these kinds of books? Solar is definitely cheaper, but will it ever be able to completely substitute power requirement with the help of batteries. Do we really have so much Lithium to cater to all the battery demands arising from transport and power storage requirement? Can anything ever be as feasible as a burning engine to produce power? Solar's efficiency hasn't really increased drastically and occupies s ...more
Pere Bou Sabrià
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tot i que no està massa ben escrit (repetint dades i amb la gràcia literària d'un ficus de vegades (de vegades no, eh)) el contingut és tan bo que em falten estrelles. Crec que confia massa en el lliure mercat, em fa gràcia que es sorprengui que els òrgans regulatoris funcionin a favor de les grans companyies que han de regular i en contra dels usuaris, i no al revés. Serà perquè al nostre país de pandereta això és massa evident. M'encanta quan s'indigna perquè "es socialitzen les pèrdues i es p ...more
Lee Shaver
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
When I first picked this up I was thinking I might not make it very far, given that the book is now almost five years old. But it was interesting to see that what Seba was predicting back in 2014 is the sort of trend that many others are just now waking up to. In the time past, we've gotten closer to a future of self-driving electric cars running a solar and wind powered grid with storage. While it's rather poorly edited and the barrage of statistics can be overwhelming, it's thought-provoking a ...more
Rajneesh Kadian
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very detailed and compelling arguments for technological disruptions in energy and transportation. Scary to some extent in terms of what these disruptions could mean for jobs and asset values. Even though Tony has very compelling arguments he hasn't considered or explained the human factor like people not willing to share cars and increase in peak hour traffic.

Still highly recommended this book. Amazing insights in 2014 and some of it is coming true now.
Kevin Kelley
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Brighter Future Explained

A powerful explanation of how quickly advances in wind, solar, and electric vehicles will soon usher in a world of cheap clean energy. Well worth the read.
Paul Bloore
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well worth a read

I’ve read this book twice, and on the second reading was quite amazed by the fact that quite a few of Tony Seba’s predictions are coming true faster than he forecast despite my initial skepticism. Political influences are looking somewhat akin to King Canute.
Paul
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tony Seba is Amazing

Tony Saba has it all laid out, he explains it all in this book, the disruption process is inevitable, if anybody is interested in disruptive technologies this is the book for you.
Ankit
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! if what this guy writes is true then we are in for a much better world in 2030...welcome to the Age of disruption....
Jason Orthman
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book examine the sustainability of different energy sources and transportation methods. Good insights on solar and electric vehicles.
Ken Switzer
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Should be required reading for all new car buyers and home owners and to graduate high school!

Or if you breathe
Bruno Konieczny
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great content from a very optimistic writer, but not so well written.
Seems to be taken from many papers and talks he has given.
Jun
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yes, this book has some drawbacks, i.e. repetitiveness, overflowing numbers with comparatively few insights, logical lapse etc. But what the author suggests is so persuasive that I don't see any way to refute it.

The three forces, i.e. solar power, electric car, and auto-piloting vehicle, are powerful technologies by themselves, but the true power comes from their synergy. Solar energy gets cheaper and cheaper as the technology advances, and this in turn, renders electricity-driven ve
Dom
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's few topics that get me as excited. Soba's book is forceful, clear and definitely energizing. Read it!

1.5% vs. 0.00007%. 7 car-dinal wins. Attack aftermarket and peak prices. Baseload solar is power. Being green and/or saving 'green'. Business model innovation to empower tech innovation. China Water For Coal Transfer Project. Community choice aggregators. Connected devices, a learning community. Decreasing vs increasing returns. De-energized wastelands. DIP-ME (Distributed, in
Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very hard to read. And strangely, hard to care while reading (despite being encouraged by disruptive technology!). Hard to tell the target audience - anyone who doesn't already agree with the basic principles would not find the presentation at all convincing; anyone else must just be reading this for supporting facts (which I found hard to find/follow given the referencing system).
Even the font, typeface and spacing made the book physically hard to read.
I read this after attending a
Paul Bruemmer
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great insight to our future energy and transportation industries, uplifting and reassuring to read facts about fossil fuels being on track to being obsolete by 2030. Fantastic facts and figures supporting solar energy taking over fossil fuels as an economic reality. Inspiring writing and vision, highly recommended read.
Jana L
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: societal-trends
VERY interesting book about an industry totally replacing another industry. The author and keynote speaker in Downtown Nashville proposed the idea of "Parking Lots into Parks". I enjoyed expanding my vision of what could a metropolitan center could look like.
Pyoungsung Choi
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
2차전지의 가격, 태양광의 발전단가의 지속적인 하락으로 기존의 화석연료 발전, 자동차산업, 원자력, 바이오매스, 천연가스 발전 등의 산업이 머지않아 붕괴될 것이라는 전망을 담고 있다. 논리의 개연성과 뒷받침 데이터 등으로 인해서 허황되지 않고 진지하게 생각하게 만들어서 재미있었다. 하지만 책의 후반부로 갈수록 같은 내용의 반복과, 약간은 자극적이고 선동적인 문체로 인해서 지겨운 느낌도 있었다. 미래 전망 관련 책들 중에서는 읽어볼만한 상당히 재미있는 책임에는 틀림없는 듯 하다.
Jeff Sutherland
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gas engines will be obsolete by 2030

Great summary of Silicon Valley disruption of energy industry. This year I will be giving away electricity because solar powers my house (heat, light, and cooling) and my electric cars with lots left over.
Klas Andersen
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: energy
Great book, the energy sector is extremely exciting. The book is very biased though and very optimistic on solar and wind. I would have liked a chapter with a more critical point of view on the potential for solar and wind.
Jim Worthington
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Good Ideas with a Zealous Tone

The automakers a good case for electric, autonomous vehicles, Soderbergh, and wind energy. There are times where his enthusiasm comes across as strident his overall message seems sound.
Ashkan Ziabakhshdeylami
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
The book contains a lot of exaggerations. The Author clearly tries to wow an inexperienced audience. Having said that, I agree with a lot of concepts he talks about. However, I wish that Tony Seba took a more objective approach to explaining the numbers and comparing them.
Eric
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superb book on how game changing innovations can change the world in a very short time. The possibilities Tony Seba sees for the future of solar energy are exponential and quite possibly the age of renewable energy is really upon us!
Miguel
robert reveley
Dec 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Think Like a Commoner: A Short Introduction to the Life of the Commons
  • The Madhouse Effect: How Climate Change Denial Is Threatening Our Planet, Destroying Our Politics, and Driving Us Crazy
  • The Optimistic Environmentalist: Progressing Toward a Greener Future
  • Building the New American Economy: Smart, Fair, and Sustainable
  • Faster, Higher, Farther: How One of the World's Largest Automakers Committed a Massive and Stunning Fraud
  • Blue Future: Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever
  • The Burning Question: We can't burn half the world's oil, coal and gas. So how do we quit?
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • The Politics of Climate Change
  • Climate Change and the Health of Nations: Famines, Fevers, and the Fate of Populations
  • The Emerald Tablet: Alchemy of Personal Transformation
  • The End of Ownership: Personal Property in the Digital Economy (The Information Society Series)
  • The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order
  • Powering the Dream: The History and Promise of Green Technology
  • Beyond Beef: The Rise and Fall of the Cattle Culture
  • The One Skill: How mastering the Art of Letting Go will change your life
  • We Are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change
  • Free to Make: How the Maker Movement is Changing Our Schools, Our Jobs, and Our Minds
“When the wind of change blows, some build walls, others build windmills.” - Chinese Proverb.” 2 likes
“The solar virtuous cycle is in motion. The lower cost of solar leads to increased market adoption, and this, in turn, lowers the perceived risk and attracts more capital at a lower cost for capital. And this, in turn, lowers the cost of solar, which leads to increased market adoption, not to mention increased investment, more innovation, and even lower costs for capital. Once this virtuous cycle reaches critical mass, market growth will accelerate. Solar will become unstoppable and the incumbents will be disrupted.” 1 likes