Start by marking “Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)

Highland Groom

(Murray Family #8)

Hannah Howell continues the breathtaking trilogy of the wild hearts of Scotland that began with Highland Angel in this passionate take of a wife determined to blaim the husband she loves…

Sir Dairmot MacEnroy, deciding his illegitimate children need a mother and his keep needs a proper lady, now stands before the altar with a gentle bride he hopes is too shy to disrupt his
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 1st 2003 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about Highland Groom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Groom

Start your review of Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Highland Groom is the first story I have read written by Hannah Howell and My Last. The whole story is Nonsensical. I couldn't find any reason to like the Hero Sir Diarmot MacEnroy or the Heroine Ilsa Campbell. The whole story is just stupid with very immature writing.

Diarmot has been beaten nearly to death and has lost all of his memory but this is not clear because he recognizes his brothers and his clan and children. Boy does he have a lot of children. He had a nursery full of Illegitimate c
Stacie
3 3/4 "Suspicious" Stars!

The mistrust went on for a wee bit long, but I liked both main characters and ALL the children. I enjoyed it a lot! I'll have to read more of this series and this author. Happy reading!
willaful
“Just as the priest asked if anyone knew why Diarmot and Margaret could not marry there was a disturbance at the doors of the church and a clear, angry woman’s voice said, ‘I think I might have a reason or two.’

Shocked, Diarmot looked behind him and his eyes widened. Marching towards him was a tiny woman with brilliant copper hair. Behind her strode eight large, scowling, red-haired men. She held a bundle in her arms and a small, dark-haired girl walked beside her carrying another.”

I’m mostly ov
Susan (susayq ~)

As anyone can tell from my TBR list, I have this thing for Scottish Lairds. And I couldn't resist this book. It was my first Hannah Howell book and I enjoyed it. I have to be honest though, I think Ilsa should have knocked the snot out of Dairmot long before he started to woo her. In fact, I don't think he should have ever gotten to the wooing stage in their marriage. He didn't suffer/repent near long enough for the pain he caused her. Yes, he had been attacked and lost his memory, but
Cheesecake
Diarmot and Margaret. I gotta agree with everyone else, it got SOOOOOO old how long it took Diarmot to overcome his mistrust of Margaret. (view spoiler)
Margaret was handfasted to Diarmot when he had to leave, promising to return soon. He never does. She gives birth to his twins and leaves to seek out her errant husband having lost all faith in his love
Paraphrodite
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
2.75 stars.

I didn't like this pairing. I had high hopes for the McEnroy brothers but Diarmot just fell flat. I understand I was supposed to sympathize with him losing his memories but he just acted so poorly and inconsistently throughout the book. Ilsa wasn't that much better. We're supposed to like her for taking his illegitimate children under her wings but at times I also found her actions TSTL.

All in all, this was a bit of a miss for me.
Holly
Howell follows a formula for her novels; tiny heroine with a big personality falls for giant hero who is mistrustful because of a past girlfriend/mistress/wife who screwed him over. She decides to fight for his love by being herself and he falls for her in spite of himself.

This one deviates in that the heroine has 14 large brothers and the hero has 6 bastard children.

Dairmot was a complete ass, which isn't new for Howell either. I didn't mind so much, though, because I read her books for the h
Zel Polev
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
June
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Diarmot MacEnroy and Ilsa meet, fall in love, marry and make promises to one another that are not kept after Diarmot is beaten half to death left for dead and with no memory of the marriage or promises he made to Ilsa. One year later Ilsa, along with 7 of her 14 brothers and twin sons go in search of MacEnroy. Ilsa is in for several shocking surprises that neither the reader or Ilsa expect. First, they find Diarmot kneeling at the altar about to marry another woman. The next surprise comes soon ...more
Jill
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: howell-hannah
I liked the story line of this book--that Ilsa and Diarmot were hand-fasted but he did not remember her after being beaten nearly to death. That being said, I did get a little impatient w/ his continued suspicions of her after they were married properly and had spent time together. I thought it was overdone and a bit contrived. I did like the characters, however, and will be looking forward to reading about some of supporting characters in future books.
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
Once I started reading, I didn't want to stop.
Poor Ilsa, that girl has way to many brothers. lol.
Ilsa handled all the stuff thrown her way better than most people would.
I loved little Odo, he was so cute.
highly recommend!

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2003
Length: 4501 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1471.
Sex: frequent, reasonably erotic. Sex before marriage, and, as a result of a handfasting she has twin boys. (view spoiler). Diarmot's nursery has 6 children before Ilsa arrives; only one is from his wife (Alice). Others are "probably" his. The late wife was extremely promiscuous and u
Darien
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the heroine and her practical loving way to approach life, I felt the author never gave me much reason to admire the hero, and thus be satisfied with the happily ever after. Ultimately, I wasn't sure he was good enough for her.

(view spoiler)
N.W. Moors
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Ilsa Cameron shows up just in time to stop her handfasted husband from marrying another woman. Diarmot MacEnroy was beaten up after leaving her a year ago and has no memory of his wife or the twin sons that she bore him. He's forced to marry her anyway in the church but is suspicious of her and her many red-haired brothers and cousins.
While I understood that Diarmot was hurt after the way his first wife acted, I thought it took way too long for him to get over his misgivings about Ilsa. I was re
Shirley J
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scotland
Took over 100 pages for me to get interested in this plot. I didn't realize I was reading on of the later books in the series until I read the notation in the title. For me, the book was easily a stand-alone read.

Miss Howell is a best-selling author and definitely has a large following of beloved readers and this book has been highly rated. The suspense that picked up more than half-way through the book "figuring out who was the perpetrator" was the only reason I kept going, besides the setting
Laurla2
"there are times that i fair ache to tie him to a chair and give him a severe talking to, mayhap slapping him upside the head now and again to make my point."

"ye expect a lot of a woman ye treat so poorly."

-the kindle version had SO many ridiculous typos and punctuation errors. i marked some, but i'm not getting paid to edit and gave up after 15. one particularly annoying error was that every single word with the exact combination of the letters 'tl' in that order, the 'tl' got changed to 'd'. s
Simara
I usually like Angela Dawe as a narrator but something happened on this story. There were too many children and women for which the narrator did annoyingly low pitched voices. Also, at times the narration turned too dull. I had to speed up the narration just to make it bearable.

The story was also not good. I didn't even feel the slow burn of falling in love or the connection between the main couple. The love felt forced. The fact that the hero had 6 children from different women was VERY off pu
Theresa
Pretty fair...

Frequent humor, good characterization, and a mysterious villain make this a pretty good story set in Middle Ages Scotland. The author writes Scottish dialect well and keeps a good pace throughout.
My only criticism is the last 20%. At this point the mystery is solved and the H/h can get down to the business of strengthening and enjoy their marriage that had been put through so much. It is at this point that the heroine, Ilsa, decides that she needs to get away “to think.” While the
Joann Maggio
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Highlander Groom⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️by Hannah Howell

Diarmot MacEnroy stands at the alter to marry the lovely Margaret but the church doors slam open. Marching towards him is Ilsa unbeknownst to him the girl he handfasted with a year early and she carries his twin boys.

The story was enjoyable and the dialect is delightful. I liked the mystery thrown into the plot but the book in general was a bit to long and repetitious.

I do, however, enjoy Ms Howell’s descriptions of the Highlands.

Debra
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highland Groom

This was written by Hannah Howell. I have read and enjoyed many of her books. This is no different. Here is the story of a couple who will go through many ups and downs. There is a mystery to be solved. She was hand fasted to him almost a year ago. When she and her brothers catch up with him he is about to marry another. Let's just say in true highland fashion fist were used well. I will be reading the rest of this series soon.
Pam
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, however, the editing on the copy I had on my Kindle was one of the worst I have ever encountered. I usually submit changes/mistakes but there were so many I didn't bother.

As for the story, it was very enjoyable and had just the right amount of sex and description to keep me happy. I am not a fan of "they kissed and woke happy in the morning" kind of sex scene, this book gave you just enough without being erotica.
Sydnee Walsh
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book Jax all the emotions involved. I laughed I cried, I wanted to throw things and I wanted to just smile at the joy that became. Diarmot is starting off on a ledge with missing his memories. Add in a handfasted Wife Ilsa that brings their twins baby sons to add to his already four sons and two daughters, a murder plot and her 14 brother and so many more cousins you have the best story plot ever.
Sherrie Collis
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needs better editing

I mostly enjoyed reading this book, however, there are too many misspelled words of wrong words used. It was distracting from the story each time I came upon them as I'd try mentally to correct the spelling or try to figure out what correct word should have been used.
Pamela
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good

A bit hard to get into, but is worth reading. The main character has lost his memory after a severe beating. He is suspicious of every one including the woman he married before the attack. Lots of mystery and twists and turns until attempted killers revealed. If course an HEA.
Donna Nealey
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good!!!

This one has everything you could want. Love, betrayal, memory loss, babes galore, murder, attempted murder, almost weddings, and so much laughter from Odo, 5 yrs, Alice, 3 yrs. I will look for more from them in future books. Well done, it kept my interest throughout the whole book. Happy Reading. Donna
Lynne
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author did a great job of weaving in humorous moments as well as witty dialogue. I had no trouble rooting for the heroine and was left with a satisfying ending. I also enjoyed some of the secondary characters, such as the evident friendships formed between women.
Melinda Kaye
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Spirited Highland Romance

I live most, if not all, of Ms Howell’s books, and this is no exception. It starts with a new mother and a missing groom, and flows through memory loss, bastard children, betrayal and danger, crazy relatives, and finally love. A wonderful adventure!
AmazingJ
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I truly enjoyed reading this Book, Albeit between Isla & Diarmot it was page after page with Internal dialogue.
I would have given this review 5 ⭐'s.
I was truly shocked when I found out who the villain was. Someone no one expected.
Otherwise the plot was Great & the Story was well written.
Meranda Semeniuk-Wappel
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an exceptional book! Although, knowing who was trying to kill the protagonists, was an easy give away. At first it wasn't but once you figured out the clues, it got easier and easier to realize who the antagonists were. But overall, it was a good book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Highland Captive (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #4)
  • Highland Hellion (Highland Weddings, #3)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • Hunting for a Highlander (Highland Brides, #8)
  • To Marry a Scottish Laird (Highland Brides, #2)
  • Falling for the Highlander (Highland Brides, #4)
  • Highland Betrayal (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #3)
  • The Deed (Deed, #1)
  • A Protector in the Highlands (The Campbells, #2)
  • The Highlander Takes a Bride (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Highland Flame (Highland Weddings, #4)
  • Wicked Highland Ways (Highland Weddings, #6)
  • The Hellion and the Highlander (Devil of the Highlands, #3)
  • Highland Vixen (Highland Weddings, #2)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • Tempting the Highlander (The McTiernays, #4)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)
  • Highland Champion (Murray Family, #11 & Camerons, #2)