Start by marking “It's About Love” as Want to Read:
It's About Love

It's About Love

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  577 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Real life is messier than the movies. A bold, thought-provoking novel from the exceptionally talented, Steven Camden.

He's Luke. She's Leia.

Just like in Star Wars. Just like they’re made for each other. Same film studies course, different backgrounds, different ends of town.

Only this isn't a film. This is real life. This is where monsters from the past come back to take rev
Published August 4th 2015 by HarperCollins Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about It's About Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's About Love

Kyra
I received an e-arc from Edelweiss, but this does not, in any way, have an impact on my review.
More like a 2.5 stars, but a three.

First of all, thank you to HarperCollins 260 for sending me an e-arc. I really appreciated it and squealed and squealed because it was my very first approved e-arc on Edelweiss (my account was just, an hour old? anyways.) Thank you so, so much.

Yes, thank you, my brethren. Now on with the review.

THINGS THAT BOTHERED ME
1, Luke's kaartehan (Filipino term, guys.
Helen Stower
I have to say that based on the title and the cover, I would have never read this book. However, the girls in my student book club convinced me to read it and I really have to thank them - it’s great. This book oozes menace and tension and from the beginning, the reader is gripped by the fear of what has happened in the past and what that will bring to play in the present.

This is a coming of age story that is difficult to label. The reader is warned about this complexity of plot and theme in cha
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
4.5 stars Proper loved this. Had me crying several times because it felt really honest and painful.

I really loved It's About Love by Steven Camden. I had heard of the book when it was first published at the beginning of the year but I always felt a little bit on the fence about reading it. I knew it was about two characters, Luke and Leia, and that they meet on a film studies course at college, but nothing else apart from that.

It wasn't until I attended YALC in July that I changed my mind. I he
Klinta
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley, HarperCollins UK and the author – Steven Camden for a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

The story is about Luke, he is going to college and meets Leia for the first time – yeah, Star Wars! He feels something in there, but he’s uncertain about what she thinks and feels. He is bouncing between his current college life, his current life with friends and his past life in the shade of his brother Marc, who is returning to his life after
Kirsty
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a real thinker for me. I knew I liked Steven Camden's work before I started it but wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this novel. I am glad to report that it was as good as I had hoped it would be and left me with loads to think about.

I loved the way the story was told. It was a mix of traditional narrative and screen play notes which makes sense when you know the two main characters meet during their film studies class. The way in which it is told gives you a real chance to
Shay
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

*I received this book from the publisher through Edelweiss to review honestly*

First, I have a gripe with this book, it doesn't really matter overall, but it annoyed me. Here it is: WHY LUKE AND LEIA???? Why!? They're brother and sister in Star Wars, dang it! Yes, there's that confusing scene where they kiss, but they're brother and sister! Let me be clear, the characters in this book do point that out, it's not as if the author completely ignored it, but it still annoys m
Jazmen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I've said this time and time again but there is something some raw and real about novels from the UK, or written about the UK. It's just something in them, this grittiness--that says I don't care what is appropriate or normal to you. I'll write what I want. I'll write my reality and I don't care if you can't put it into a mold.

It's About Love pretty much does that. It's not overly romantic even though it is about love. It's not overly anything. It's just this story that you read and you either
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via Maximum Pop. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was something different, and it's proving hard to rate. I think it's a 3 star read, as I quite enjoyed it, but at the same time didn't, if you know what I mean? It's About Love follows the life of Luke Henry, a 16 year old coming to terms with his brother's return after two years in prison, a new college, and balancing his old friends with his new. Luke struggled with his anger a lo
Hazel
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

It’s About Love
is not a typical love story. The author of Tape, Steven Camden, has written a story from the point of view of a sixteen-year-old boy named Luke. In his first week of college he meets a girl in his film studies class. Her name is Leia and, ignoring the Star Wars connection, their passion for film makes them the perfect partners.

Luke, however, comes from a very troubling background. He has purpo
Catherine
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Steven Camden, and it certainly won't be the last, judging on the quality of the writing in It's About Love.

It is a love story, but it's also so much more than that. Like many YA books, it doesn't fit neatly into a pigeon hole. Yes, it's about love, but it's also about family, friends, growth, and generally being a teenager with secrets and angst and terror and wonder. I confess, I had a mini cry in this book, but not in a place I expected. What affected me wa
Brooke Garbarini
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I read Tape, Camden's last book, and it ended up reminding both of what I liked and disliked about Tape. When I first picked up It's About Love, the book struck me as melodramatic. Luke, the novel's protagonist, seemed unrealistically emotional about minor events. I also found bits of the story throughout to be cliché while pretending to be above clichés. These were traits I noticed in Tape as well, and they were unfortunately present in many parts of the book.

Howev
Jana
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
4.5*

I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Luke and Leia both have Dads who are massive Star Wars fans. They are in the same film studies course. They work on a project together and their ideas fit perfectly. It's like they're meant for each other. It's like in the movies. Only it isn't. It's real life, and sometimes, the past gets in the way.

This was a wonderful novel. I admit that it was cliché in many points - the film aspects, the ideas t
Kayleigh
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from a very awesome book blogger friend after meeting Mr Camden at an author event last year and talking to her at length about him and his first novel, Tape.

I really enjoyed the way this book flowed. Reading almost like a screenplay, the main character's story slowly unfolded, teasing early on then answering questions the earlier chapters raised towards the middle, this book is definitely an interesting read. Despite being written from the perspective of a somewhat ty
Isobel Radakovic

I'd heard mixed things about Camden's Tape, so I was wary about this going in to it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the general premise, of a romance formed due to a film studies class at sixth-form because it seemed like something I could easily visualise, and I did really like how realistic it was, how something similar has probably happened many times. I enjoyed reading from Luke's POV, and how he didn't have the best background. A good book.
Kashish
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: her-shelf
It was one of those "read because I had nothing else to do" reads. So I had no expectation how it would turn out and it turned out okay.

Story was simple, characters were okay and some of the one-liners were quote worthy.
Melissa
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love love looooved this book!!! I loved it. I loved the characters and the backstory and just the way the main character Luke's train of thought was like a movie/script. I want more from this author, he is fantastic.

We live our choices.
Dayna.
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I am a maker. I am a builder of ideas."
Fangirlalert_07
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Amazing. A little cheesy if you're not into contemporary, but amazing. It was so perfect, the way the plot was built and the story it was a magical combination of beautiful words and a strong plot.
Different from the cliché romance novels. A book about two people who love movies more than anything.
"He's Luke. She's Leia. Just like in Star Wars. Just like they're made for each other."
Steven Camden has written this entire book so well, that every line to me sounded like the best quote ever. Am de
Mamzelle Potter
Je n’ai pas accroché à l’univers et à la plume de l’auteur. La narration m’a déstabilisé et je n’ai pas accroché tout au long du roman. J’ai faillis une fois de plus, reposer le roman. J’ai pourtant essayé de lui laisser une chance mais rien à faire, le roman n’est pas fait pour moi.

La référence m’a fait sourire avec “Luke et Leia” mais cela s’est arrêté là pour les personnages. Au début, je ressentais beaucoup d’empathie pour Luke. C’est un garçon plein de colère, qui se cherche finalement. Mai
Readingee
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I really liked the concept of the novel, but I think it could've been executed better. I liked the contrast between life in a film, and life in the present. It put things into perspective and really let you see how movies are never really like real life. I enjoyed the fact that Steven Camden kept alluding to the idea that life is never a film, and it's not all sunshine and rainbows, and it's things like this that we don't see in the movies.

I liked the level of insight we got into each ch
Eve
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Luke meets Leia in his media class where teacher Noah, was once in a film he wrote himself. As Luke and Leia work together, their world's collide as Luke's brother Marc gets released from prison after he caused ABH, Like finds himself questioning whom he truly is after a few brushes with fights himself and discovering why Leia suddenly goes quiet on him after they'd been getting along so well.

It was quite slow in places but the drama about violence and aggressive behaviour from siblings was int
Milly Paris
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a bit slow to start but overall I really enjoyed it. I got so frustrated with Luke for the first half of the story. He was moody for no reason and it drove me insane. Such a typical teenager (which is something I struggle to relate to now that I'm 24). It also annoyed me how none of the boys would talk about their feelings but I guess that's just true to the real world... That said however, I loved all the other characters. His parents, his brother, his friends. The second half of ...more
Blandean
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
J’ai esperé aimer ce livre, j’ai voulu l’aimer, mais malheureusement je suis un peu déçue par cette lecture.

J’ai eu beaucoup de mal à rentrer et donc accrocher à la façon dont s’est rédigé : on est plongé dans la tête et les pensées de Luke, et j’étais complètement perdue au début avec lui (si c’était l’effet voulu, alors c’est gagné !).
Pour autant, j’ai été touché par certains passages, je me suis reconnue dans certaines situations, j’ai apprécié les dernières pages et le joli message de fin.
Ma
Rachael Carter
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
for me it was a difficult to understand book. the parts I understood and could follow along with was great. maybe I'm just not the type to read a play type of book. I'm not sure. but was a cute love story
Mycoton32
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

17/20 - J'ai été touchée par Luke, par les luttes qu'il mène, par son mauvais caractère et sa colère mais aussi par tout l'amour qu'il a pour les autres (et bordel cette fin <3 )
Chelsea Shepherd
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
it keeps you pulled in and reading but also doesn't have much of an ending, just kinda floats through the book
Thalia Vermeiren
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Luke and Leia together. Also Luke’s thoughts are well described as are his feelings. Once I began reading, I kept on going. That’s how I know that I love a book.
Emma
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY USHENKA 8:5

It’s About Love is a modern-day love story. The author of Tape, Steven Camden, has written a story from the point of view of a sixteen-year-old boy named Luke. In his first week of college he meets a girl in his film studies class. Her name is Leia and, ignoring the Star Wars connection, their passion for film makes them the perfect partners.

Luke, however, comes from a very troubling background. He has purposefully chosen a college two bus journeys away in order to escape hi
preferableworlds
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really easy laid back read. I thought this book was very gripping and interesting and it was very nicely wrote.
Over all this was a very good book, I really recommend you read it if your looking for a book to relax with.
Children's Book Chat
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review by Caitlin

in 3 words: films, love, brothers

What I liked: I like the passion portrayed in this book. Not a romantic passion (that does feature though), but the passion protagonist Luke has for films and script-writing. He knows what he wants to do and is trying to make his dreams a reality. I like that, in fact I really admire that.

I also really like that Camden delays giving physical descriptions of characters. Details about each character's looks are revealed little by little as the plot
  • Cracked
  • Panther
  • The Language of Stars
  • The Seeing
  • Lessons I Never Learned At Meadowbrook Academy
Steven Camden is one of the most acclaimed spoken-word artists in the country. As Polarbear, he has performed extensively around the UK and internationally. He also writes plays, teaches storytelling in schools, and was a lead artist for Ministry of Stories and The Roundhouse poetry collective.
More about Steven Camden
“Apology is pointless. Apologies are for when you forget something. Or bump into somebody. Apologies are for accidents. You can't apologise for something you chose to do. That's like apologising for being you.” 5 likes
“But if you do find your thing, something that makes your blood crackle, you better damn well do it.” 1 likes