Start by marking “The Plains of Kallanash (Brightmoon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Plains of Kallanash (Brightmoon, #1)

The Plains of Kallanash

(Brightmoon #1)

What happens when you stop fighting an endless war and start asking why?

It’s not easy being the junior wife. Mia’s only dream is to catch the eye of the dashing lead husband, and her sister’s unexpected death gives her the chance at last. But was it just a tragic accident? Mia’s not sure, but if she asks enough questions, maybe she’ll find out. Or maybe she’ll uncover too
Published September 12th 2014 by Sutors Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Plains of Kallanash, please sign up.
Pauline Ross Whoa, people can ask questions about the book! I never knew that - so sorry for seeming to ignore you, Eleni. No, 'The Plains of Kallanash' is not…moreWhoa, people can ask questions about the book! I never knew that - so sorry for seeming to ignore you, Eleni. No, 'The Plains of Kallanash' is not part of a continuing series with the same characters. It's a stand-alone story. However, it is one of a number of books all set in the same world. The next one, 'The Fire Mages', is completely independent of Kallanash, but the one after that will feature one or two characters from Kallanash, in the background.(less)

Charlie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 fantastical stars!

It's such a great feeling when you read a good epic fantasy book and this was an excellent example of the fantasy genre!

I can't quite put my finger on what specifically made me love this book, the whole thing was just so enjoyable. Some fantasy books can feel like a chore to read and while you may like the overall story, there's usually a few chapters or character perspectives that you don't enjoy as much.

That was not the case with The Plains of Kallanash. I enjoyed reading
Elise Edmonds
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fantasy
This book was a mixed bag, although overall I enjoyed it.

Good points:

- Great worldbuilding. A fascinating background story which is gradually revealed. Our characters are stuck in a mundane but comfortable world of home, religious law and ritual, and battle training and skirmishes against the barbarians. But there's more to the strange Slaves of the Gods than meets the eye. I love the way the mystery unravels as we go through the book.

- Ingenious plot, very detailed, with links between mechanics
Anachronist
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was sent a complimentary copy of that novel by the author, Pauline M. Ross, who is, like me, one of contributors of the Fantasy Review Barn. I’ve known Pauline’s online persona for some time – we’ve befriended each other on Goodreads and Twitter. At one point I even proposed (and was rejected, alas ;p). Writing my review I tried hard to be as impartial as possible, all things considering, but I admit I might be a tad biased – I had the pleasure to be one of Pauline’s beta readers when she work ...more
M.A. Clarke
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a grand, ambitious tale full of thought-provoking ideas and surreal circumstances that somehow manage to strike a balance between the real and the fantastical. I was hooked from the start - the notion of the double marriage is a concept I'd never come across, and it starts out as the backbone of the many troublesome dilemmas and familial drama that the characters have to deal with. When things reach a head, the story takes a turn for the adventurous and Mia and Hurst - the two likable pr ...more
Béatrice
Interesting world, interesting story, but too many detailed bedroom scenes.
Emma
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fantasy book is set in a wonderfully constructed world. It is slowly revealed throughout the book although the first few chapters are pretty dense with terms. If you are patient they are explained well later on. The plains are divided into Karnings and they are run by a marriage group. Our story starts with a marriage of 4 people. Hurst and Mia are the junior couple with Jonnor ans Tella being the senior couple and the only two having sex. Right at the beginning of the book (view spoiler) ...more
Anne Monteith
I really enjoyed this story and I think for the most part Ms. Ross has done an excellent job providing her readers with enough information without overwhelming us with details. I also like her world-building but would have like a bit more detail about the religion, why multiple spouses and the companions were established, why is one of the Most High dies there companions are also put to death and I’d like to see a map of this world.
Because of a devastating war magic has disappeared and those lef
Kyra Halland
The Plains of Kallanash takes us into a world where magic once existed but was lost in a great Catastrophe. The Plains at the heart of the world are now peopled by a civilization ruled by a mysterious, powerful, and omnipresent religion, which enforces a highly stratified social order governed by strict rules and customs. Group marriage is the norm among the nobility, or Karningholders, and the men of the Plains are engaged in a never-ending but carefully-regulated war against rampaging barbaria ...more
Neil McGarry
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most fantasy focuses not on people but on grand quests and foes beyond human ken, but The Plains of Kallanash thankfully steps away from this well-worn path and blazes its own trail. Although the story reaches for the heights, it never gets away from the basics: the struggles of ordinary people.

The good:

The prose is crisp and clear, which sets Ross head and shoulders above the competition. This is so easy to read that the pages seem to turn themselves.

The world Ross has created is refreshingly e
J.R.
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, indie
I’ve never had such a hard time deciding on a rating for a book. On the one hand, this was unusual and unexpected and the writing style is phenomenal. But on the other hand, I just couldn’t get past my dislike for the main character. I’m giving this novel three and half stars (I’ll round up on amazon and goodreads) mostly for the main plot line and the writing style. I think anyone looking for an unusual fantasy novel with fantastic twists and turns will be pleased with this book.

I loved the wri
Loni
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was interesting. Ms. Ross weaves an intricate tale with threads leading to deep in the world's culture. The prose is clear and well-done. The world-building is superb.

I often say characters will make or break a story for me. Hurst and Dethin were of some interest to me, but they didn't captivate me. Mia was a door mat for the beginning parts of the book, and therefore I didn't have much vested in her. Gantor had the most personality, and I'd have to say he was most memorable and prob
Amelia
I read this book when it was still a manuscript, as a beta reader, so I won't give it a star rating. It's set in a world with multi-partner marriages and a mysterious and totalitarian religion. The characters' journey takes them beyond the edge of their known world, into barbarian lands, then back to the heart of their country as they unravel the mysteries that have ruled their lives.

Check it out!

Terrie Stamey
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Plains of Kallanash-Wonderful

This story keeps your interest the whole time. Always keeps you looking forward to the next adventure these people get involved in. You never expect what you find around the next bend in this great read. I recommend it to anyone that likes adventure and intrigue.
Jenni
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting story with twists and turns. A stronger than she at first appears female character and plenty of problems, anguish and mysteries to keep you turning the pages. Well written, good dialogue and descriptions. There is a story behind the story and some interesting solutions to rival male syndrome!
I recommend to fantasy readers.
Frances I. Guempel
A fun adventure

I enjoyed this book after I got into it and kept reading til the end. Great characters and fun adventure s
Kevin
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a long book. I liberally skimmed to get to the meat of the story. It starts with a rigid society in which women have little power, only the upper class matter, and religion dictates everything. Some of it is cruel. Then when a particular wife dies, the husband starts asking questions. This leads eventually to revolution.
I ignored talk of men going to war in the beginning of the book because it was dull and seemed irrelevant. It turns out to be important later, but I still managed to unde
Rebecca
3 star

Rating would be higher if I hadn't felt like I was constantly playing catch-up understanding the world. The author avoided info dumps, which is wonderful, but the world is so complex and foreign that I felt constantly on the outside trying to put the pieces together. I'd actually assumed it was a side book or later book in series because of the feel with the worldbuilding but it wasn't.
Leann Feldt
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
👍

Great! Another fantastic sage in Brightmoon. I didn't read them in order, really no need. 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃
Julia Stephanie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm in love with the complexities of this world. I feel it's easy to forget how great epic fantasies can be, but this has been such a mesmerizing and fun read. I do hope to learn more of the magic of their world in the next book!
Miranda Honfleur
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-fantasy
4.5/5 stars

A cozy, enjoyable read, thought provoking and sexy... I'd read and loved The Fire Mages before and was thrilled to read this first book in the Brightmoon series. I think I'd call this a fantasy mystery with romantic elements, written in third-person limited multiple POV with two viewpoint characters. The book opens with the main characters involved in a four-person marriage, with a senior pair and a junior pair. Mia, the junior wife, is infatuated with Jonnor, the senior husband, who
Gaynor Meredith
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book to sink your teeth into

Whether make or female this book will intrigue and entice both sexes. Sex,, battles, skirmishes, magic, let your imagination run wild and this book will have it. Truly a gifted writer, I have read all of her books in this series series and not all in order. I loved each one and hated to see the end of each book. Now I will have wail for the "Dragon Egg" to be released by Pauline Ross
Laetitia
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found this book to be very interesting. Pauline Ross has created a great universe and although the books are not quite related, some characters come back in later books.
I thought that this book was a great commentary on societal norms, relationships, and religion. This book is for open minded people. I could not put it down!
Stephanie
LOVE this author and this world. I always start off completely confused because she drops me into a new part of the world, but it works because it's all presented matter of factly. I really love how Pauline Ross writes relationships, because it all feeds into the overall worldbuilding.

Read this book, and the others!
Angela Kitchen
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. The characters were well developed and evolved through the story. This new world was well thought out, with many layers and weavings coming together in the end. I liked how the book seems to be self-contained. Well worth reading.
Susan
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Would recommend it to any adult who likes a good, sexy, fantasy getaway. Perfect for cold snowy days. Was disturbed that it leaves you with questions and supposedly there is no sequel to answer them.
Seth
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would be half the size if all the characters stopped wringing their hands worrying about who should sleep with whom. The only reason I didn't abandon this book was the promise of a hint of magic, and the fact that other books in this universe are really good.
Jeanne Abbott
A fantasy land and a coup

The story of a people ruled by laws and rituals and the discovery of secrets. Mis asks to many questions and finds herself in trouble.
A look at relationships. An adventure story with a hint of magic.
Bethany  T
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Highly original. I will read this author again.
Rene
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Couldn't put it down

This is a fantasy romance a beginning of a new world, setting the story for many adventures and unknowns. And finding your place and what is right for you.
Logan Blackisle
Apr 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I tried, but I couldn't finish it. Why? There wasn't really anything to keep my attention.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge/delete duplicate Kindle edition? 5 19 Oct 19, 2015 06:32AM
  • Storm Dancer
  • To Whatever End (Echoes of Imara, #1)
  • The Ritual (Theft and Sorcery, #1)
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City #1)
  • The Rostikov Legacy (Malykant Mysteries, #1)
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • Beggar Magic
  • Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)
  • The Shadow & The Sun (Militess & Mage, #1)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • The Chocolatier's Wife
  • Necromancer Awakening (The Mukhtaar Chronicles #1)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Six Celestial Swords
  • The Goddess of Dance (The Spirits of the Ancient Sands #2)
  • The Rose Crown
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
  • The Bone Knife
I live in the beautiful Highlands of Scotland with my husband. I like chocolate, whisky, my Kindle, massed pipe bands, long leisurely lunches, chocolate, going places in my campervan, eating pizza in Italy, summer nights that never get dark, wood fires in winter, chocolate, the view from the study window looking out over the Moray Firth and the Black Isle to the mountains beyond. And chocolate. I ...more

Brightmoon (9 books)
  • The Fire Mages (Brightmoon, #2)
  • The Mages of Bennamore (Brightmoon, #3)
  • The Magic Mines of Asharim (Brightmoon, #4)
  • The Fire Mages’ Daughter (Brightmoon, #5)
  • The Dragon’s Egg (Brightmoon, #6)
  • The Second God (Brightmoon, #7)
  • Findo Gask's Apprentice (Brightmoon, #8)
  • The Dragon Caller (Brightmoon Book 9)