Start by marking “I Am Juliet” as Want to Read:
I Am Juliet

I Am Juliet

(Shakespeare)

The world's most famous love story told by one of Australia's most respected authors

Ages: 10+

This is the well-known story of Juliet Capulet and her love for Romeo. It also the story about the increasing helplessness Juliet feels as she realises that unlike young men her age, her life will effectively be determined and controlled by others, who see her having an arranged
Published July 1st 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about I Am Juliet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Juliet

Rosanne Hawke
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
‘I am Juliet’ by Jackie French
I couldn't stop reading this. This is one of my favourite Shakespearean stories and I fell in love with it in Year 8 when our English teacher very wisely decided the way for us to connect with it was by having us act out parts of the story. For that’s what plays are for: acting, not reading. Jackie French, however, has brought the story to life in a new and exciting way with Juliet on centre stage. I found myself reading it as it were a new story. It is written the
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

As far as historical fiction goes, you know from the moment that you pick up a novel by Jackie French - be it set in the Australian outback or otherwise, that it's going to be something special. With I am Juliet she has definitely once again delivered an outstanding story with a interesting twist on one of Shakespeare's most acclaimed plays. With a unique insight
Tilli
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yet again, Jackie French has written another outstanding novel. Based on the Shakespearean play Romeo and Juliet, the story is set roughly in the Middle Ages, and is told from the perspective of a young, thirteen year old girl called Juliet.

Juliet is a strong and likeable main character, and her thoughts certainly reflect her actions, which are almost unheard of in a wealthy, Middle Age society. Juliet is raised as a Capulet, a side which hates and has constant feuds against the Montague's, ene
Ivy
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was such a quick and easy read, and I recommend this to anyone who is intending on/has read Romeo and Juliet.

Although Juliet really annoyed me, I loved reading about the Capulet household, getting more background on what occurred in this famous love story and getting insight into Juliet's thoughts.
Parul
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
The novel almost perfectly recounted my own ideas on the occurances within the play and the words flowed together SO well. From when I started, I could not put this book down!
Ruby
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gaby
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, on-shelf
I love the story of Romeo and Juliet and enjoyed French's interpretation of Juliet's character. I love Jackie French's heroines, and Juliet was no exception. We are told this famous tale from Juliet's point of view. The story is also introduced by a young actor who has been given the role of Juliet in Shakespeare's time. He is trying to understand the point of all the words that Shakespeare chooses to use and how he will be able to portray Juliet on stage.

I saw this book in a lovely bookstore t
Story
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Shakespeare, so I may be biased, but this was a beautiful rendition of the tragedy. Unfortunately, I am biased against Romeo and Juliet because it’s a tragedy and I don’t tend to enjoy the tragic part of a tragedy. So I guess we’ll get to find out whether these influences balance each other out or not.

When re-telling a classic, especially a play or movie, it’s always important to fill in the gaps. I think Ms. French has done an excellent job of this. She has filled in the thoughts, emotio
Trisha
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting framing of the Romeo & Juliet story. There is nothing new here, but French's attempt to delve deeply into the mind of 13 yr old Juliet is fascinating and well written. It would be a great companion piece to an in-depth study of the play.

I am curious as to why publishers have put 10+ as the guide for the audience. There is much quoting straight from Shakespeare's text, not easy language for anyone.

In typical French style, there is a substantial glossary and detail explanations, wh
Loren Johnson
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was a sweet story which I did enjoy. But at times my attention wavered somewhat and I found it difficult to get into the action of the story. Jackie French is one of the most renowned and well loved Australian authors of our day and I love her writing style. This was a nice, easy read to get through, with lots of reference to Shakespearean literature. Maybe one of her weaker novels but still a gallant effort. It was nice to see the tragedy from the eyes of a girl who would have b ...more
Crystal
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This novel revealed a lot of things that I did not know about Romeo and Juliet. It was a very nice introduction to the 16th century and the social dynamics of that era. It was a very well written novel. Lovely

Edith
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the way Jackie wrote the classic Shakespeare from Juliet’s view. Just brilliant.
Starling
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
well written
Brit McCarthy
Thank you to HarperCollins for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

I have loved Jackie French’s writing since primary school, and Shakespeare since my first time reading Romeo & Juliet in high school. I was that one kid that really got Shakespeare. I thought he was funny and witty, I could see it all as I read it. I went on from Romeo and Juliet to read a lot of Shakespeare plays (my favourite being Much Ado About Nothing), but i
Sagarika
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book Review: I am Juliet by Jackie French
Published by Harper Collins
Subjects: Shakespeare, William –Characters – fiction, Romeo and Juliet Fiction, Family relations fiction, Love stories, Verona fiction and Award Winning Author.
I am Juliet is Romance story written by Jackie French. It is Shakespeare’s finest tragedy; this love story between two star- crossed lovers from warring families is as timeless as the angst and beauty of the young love.
This story is unique and takes on Romeo and Juliet
Matilda
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matilda by: Bella and Breanna!
Definitely recommend this book for young teenagers!
The Basic Bookworm
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The full review is available on The Basic Bookworm

I am Juliet by Jackie French is a re-telling of the classic Romeo and Juliet, according to Juliet Capulet. This book combines history and romance to create a historical fiction suitable for individuals from the age of ten and up. Personally, I was excited to learn about Juliet’s thoughts on falling for Romeo and his exile; however, I felt that the plot was slightly dull. Jackie French is a renowned author in Australia, and I studied two of her ot
Linsey Painter
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adults
I loved this book. I have read Romeo and Juliet and also watched various movies that have been made, so I know how the story goes. Jackie French brings a fresh approach and down to earth look at one of Shakespeare's most well known plays.
'I Am Juliet' is written in first person from Juliet's perspective so it's a very limited story. We only see what Juliet sees and hear the conversations she takes part in. It's quite refreshing to get to know her much better. 'I Am Juliet' brings a deeper under
Lexie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely worth reading.
I love Jackie French and have always admired Shakespeare and his plays, but 'I am Juliet' really made me appreciate Shakespeare even more. As a high school student I can understand where students are coming from when they say Shakespeare's play are 'confusing' and 'too boring' but what I love about this book is that it brings out the beauty behind 'all those words' and conveys the true message of Romeo and Juliet to young readers.
It takes more than an avera
Kerryn Lawson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Having read ALOT of Jackie French's amazing historical fiction I have to say I wasn't blown away by this one. I have never read Shakespeare but I did see Baz Luhrman's movie :), so I knew enough of the story to feel as though this was nothing new and ground breaking. What it did give me though was that interest in picking up the actual Shakespeare so that's got to be a good thing. With all this said, it was an easy enjoyable read taking me not much more than a couple of days to finish. But I cer ...more
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Jackie French has made a familiar Shakespearean story into a compulsive page turner! The story of Romeo and Juliet told through Juliet's eyes and Juliet's words. It's compelling, and will greatly help high school students struggling with Shakespeare as assigned reading. But it's more than that, it's a great read on it's own.

Sienna
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I now understand the story of Romeo and Juliet a lot more. Even though this book wasn't written by Shakespeare, or by Juliet herself, I felt as if I was listening to that young girl, dreaming of love and the future that she hoped to have. Jacking French's writing mesmerised me, just as Ophelia had done, and it was incredible. I would recommend this to anybody who loves historical fiction, or even just the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet. Five stars for sure.
Patricia Baker
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The traditional Romeo and Juliet told through the eyes of Juliet. We see the world of Juliet, her life controlled by custom, her parents, her nurse, the family feud. Her world turned upside down when she falls in love with Romeo only to find out he is a Montague, a family enemy. The novel is full of shakespearean language and we see the world of Italy at that time - sewn into dresses, nurse sleeping by her bed, banquets for the future husband her parents choose.

Celena
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Great work by Jackie French. Not easy to write historical fiction, especially for teens. Loved how she emphasised the strength of Juliet as a young woman of her time. Lots of great information at the end to help interpret Shakespeare. Wish this had of been around when I was studying the Bard at school.
Chloe Palin
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It seemed to take on a different perspective of the story Romeo and Juliet. The story starts of with Rob Gouge, watching Master Shakespeare scribble down the words for the story of Romeo and Juliet. Rob sits there in awe. The story continues with the star crossed lovers, yet Juliet takes the centre stage. I'm quite fond of Jackie French's books.
Lisa Gizariotis
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up scanning childrens books with my kids. A story for older children. It interested me because I recently watched an amateur production of Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed this novel based on Juliet's side of the story.
Kendall
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took awhile for me to get into the novel, but then I was encapsulated. The voice given to such a famous literary figure was intriguing, and hearing her inner thoughts and perspective on the famous love story was engaging.
Angelique
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the book is sooo diff to the movie
it shows that Juliet is up set when she finds out that romeo is banshed
she killes her self diff to the movie in the movie she has a gun but in the book she has a knife and she stabes her self
Deb
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fabulous book. It will be so useful to anyone reading Romeo and Juliet. You step right into Juliet shoes as well as her head and heart. The last 30 pages are covers topics as Elizabethan weddings,food, drink and table manners. Jackie French, you never disappoint! I loved this one.
Karsia
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I found it extremely interesting to read, and although I know the story of Romeo and Juliet so well, I couldn't help wondering, "what happens next?" as I turned each page in anticipation.

• Writing Clementine
  • The Year It All Ended
  • Nona & Me
  • Forget me not: The Story of One Family's Voyage on the Titanic
  • The Lover's Path: An Illustrated Novella of Venice
  • The Sultan's Eyes
  • Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead
  • Cracked
  • Sunrise of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #3)
  • Awakening Foster Kelly
  • Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Escape from Verona
  • Protected
  • The Sidewalk Artist
  • Valentine Joe (Rose #1)
  • In Mortal Danger (Resisting the Enemy #2)
  • Tristan and Iseult
  • The Things We Promise
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more

Shakespeare (4 books)