Start by marking “Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed - A Children's Kindness Book” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed - A Children's Kindness Book

Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed - A Children's Kindness Book

Celebrate the fifteenth anniversary edition of this feel-good story that continues to inspire and celebrate a world full of ordinary deeds!

Can one child's good deed change the world? It can when she’s Ordinary Mary—an ordinary girl from an ordinary school, on her way to her ordinary house—who stumbles upon ordinary blueberries. When she decides to pick them for her neighbo
Published April 29th 2002 by Gibbs Smith (first published April 1st 2002)

Chance Lee
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
Nice artwork accompanies a long, rambling story about how a good deed can spread. The story is a little heavy handed, but nice in spirit.
Hazel
Jun 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: some
The premise is slightly cliche; Ordinary Mary does a good deed, and the reader watches the ripple effect of good deeds as each person who benefits from one person's good deed in turn does five good deeds. Quickly, the benefits of kindness reach everyone in the world (this is shown by a two page display of mathematical figures that reach 6,103,515,625 within 14 days of each person accomplishing five deeds.) The premise could be successful, but this book doesn't manage it.

Here's my list of compla
Tatiana
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book just lovely, with a beautiful message of spreading kindness in a sort of "pass it on" type of gesture. Ordinary Mary's simple act of kindness sets off a chain reaction wherein five people do a similar kindness, and then each of those people do something nice for five others, and so on and so forth, until good deeds have been done for every person on the planet.

I read it to first graders, who were mesmerized. It helped that we could make a text-to-self connection with a simil
Wendy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Added this one to my Christmas book collection this year although it is not a Christmas book (it just gave me a good excuse to buy it, and I ended up giving several as gifts). Delightful little tale and explanation of the "pay it forward" idea. A great tool for an object lesson on service or the great impact little acts of service can have. A good message for kids and adults alike.
Elaine
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I am grateful to have won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway and intend to donate my copy to the library where I work so that it may be shared with many children and families!

Wow! This book shares an amazing message: one small act of kindness multiplies quickly into BILLIONS without even realizing! Very young children all the way to the very old adults can be inspired by this book to do good for others!

This story is fun and the poetic flow of the text makes it a quick and intriguing read. It's an
Loreanna McKinney
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is a children's picture book, it has a message for everyone: be kind. Emily Person's book, Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed, tells of how one act of kindness can change the entire world. It encourages the reader to take something so ordinary, like blueberries, and see how they can become something so extraordinary. The illustrations were the perfect companion to the story. Vivid colors and cartoon-like figures made the lovely book even more enjoyable.

In the classroom, th
Steve Holden
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is another book found in my search for positive behavior promoting picture books. The concept of this one is awesome - be kind and do good deeds to others because no matter how ordinary you may be/seem, it can have a great affect on others and cause a positive chain reaction. It's a story intended for young audiences, so it can be overly optimistic. The idea of being kind to others is simple to teach, promote, and be positive about. The idea of one good deed going on to have an impact on so ...more
Danielle H
I just felt like this story went on tremendously too long and was unrealistic for it's length and the deeds, but did like the intention. It also bothered me a little bit that the message seemed to kind of be it was good that Mary did something kind because she got something out of it, indirectly, in the end, when the point should really just be that she wanted to do the kind thing. I think it would still function as a good discussion starter for my students and lead to some good writing pieces t ...more
Kylie Matusiewicz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After all the news about Texas and Louisiana with the flood, this is the perfect book to pull out. This book practices a skill which is finding a current event and reading a book that focuses on the subject for younger students to understand this more. The book follows how kindness can really go a long way and remember how to treat everyone. Doing one good deed could set off a chain reaction of things. I believe that this book could be read to any age it is always important to learn these messag ...more
Macy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the book Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed by one of my favorite authors Emily Pearson. This book is about a girl named Mary who decided one day that she was going to take her neighbor, Mrs. Bishop some berries. Her neighbor then decided to use those berries and make some blueberry muffins and give them to five people. Those five people went and did nice things for five more people and on it went. It continued and acts of kindness were spread to many people all over the world. Then it ca ...more
Audrey
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book quickly at work as I was fixing a cataloging error on it. This will be a book I revisit when my son gets older. The message about random acts of kindness was written so simply, so naturally and will be perfect to not only explain why doing nice things is important, but also what can happen when you do them. I loved it and I love finding kids' books to hoard away until my son gets older and will be able to understand them. Also, the illustrations were adorable! I loved the art st ...more
Christine
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story about the ripple effect that kindness can have. It starts with a little girl does a kind deed which in turn inspires another act of kindness and so forth and so forth. Read this book with a class of kindergarten students for World Kindness Day and then we made Kindness muffins to share with other students and teachers in the school. The children loved this story and were inspired to go out and do good in the world. It is a great addition to any children's library. I kno ...more
Alison
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
I was looking for stories that would encourage kindness, and while this does have a good message about how one person's kindness can inspire kindness in others in an ever-widening ripple, the story and language are basically ... boring. There are inconsistent rhymes with terrible rhythm, which makes it even worse. The idea is a good one, and the book gets the idea across bluntly, but surely other books do it better.
Donna Thomas
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this beautiful children's story to my spiritual formation ladies that meet at my home once a month for brunch. It's a sweet reminder that the random acts of kindness that we extend to each other bring joy to not only the recipient, but to others beyond our little corners of the world. For an unexpected blessing is the impetus to pass along another thoughtful treasure to brighten one more person's day. And the giving keeps on giving.
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
One day Ordinary Mary finds some blueberries in an empty lot. She picks them and gives them away to Mrs Bishop who baked them into blueberry muffins that she gave away to five different people. One of these characters is so glad that he does something good for 5 other people. The story continues in this vein until it comes round to Mary. The message of paying it forward is obvious, but it's worth reading anyway.
Mindy
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I could love this book more than I already do. It's the children's version of the "paying it forward" concept with a math component as well. I will say that this is a text-heavy picture book, so it will be more difficult for littles to sit still until the end and comprehend the message. Perfect for lower elementary audiences.
Amanda
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a delightful book that shows how the power of simple kindness can spread and multiply. My children really enjoyed when the book numerically detailed how Mary's kindness multiplied, and they could see what an enormous impact it had. A perfect book for young grade school aged children.

Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I never heard about this book before but Wow! So beautiful and inspiring! I cry every time and want to be a better person. My children love this book as well and even lead out with bnb ideas to to nice things for others just like Mary did in the book.
Melissa
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has a lovely message, and my math girl loved the numbers toward the end of the story. The text seemed a little clunky (some lines rhyme and others...don't), but my girls didn't seem to notice.
A sweet pay-it-forward type story that would be perfect for Craft Cart Story Time but too much and too long for my preschoolers. (It might even need to be shortened for the elementary school crowd, but that could easily happen).
Pam Vickers
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story about being kind!

Cute book! Love the idea and will definitely use it in my pre-k classroom! The illustrations were beautiful and I recommend reading this to your child.
James Bailey
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the message of the story...one good deed can have a ripple effect that literally goes to billions of other people (30,517,578,125 to be exact). However, some of the message gets lost in the details here.
Shelley
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-8, character, age-4, age-6
Simple little book about how one girl doing something nice can affect a lot of people and even come back to her.

Building up others builds up the entire community/world.

*Could be fun to have blueberries while you read this or make blueberry muffins to give away for a service project afterwards.
Emily
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kindness multiplies! Ordinary Mary starts a chain reaction that grows exponentially. Have you considered how you might change the world from your small nook in the world?
Roger
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I liked the premise--children can impact the whole world--much more than the execution. 2.5 stars
Bonnie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new favorite! It shows how doing one good deed can affect another and bring more joy across our world.
Pamela
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for kids because it teaches a lesson
Philippa N
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet book with a good concept. The attempts at rhyming were inconsistent and fell a little flat though. Wasn’t a hit with my boys. 2nd Jan 2018
Kim
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic illustration of paying it forward.
Rachel
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching citizenship and mathematical exponents!
« previous 1 3 4 next »