Start by marking “No Good Deeds (Tess Monaghan #9)” as Want to Read:
No Good Deeds (Tess Monaghan #9)

No Good Deeds

(Tess Monaghan #9)

After finishing a shift volunteering at an inner-city soup kitchen, Ransome finds one of his car tires slashed and meets smooth-talking con man Lloyd Jupiter, who offers to help fix the flat for a nominal fee. Instead of calling the police on the 16-year-old scam artist, Ransome does the unthinkable and brings Jupiter back to his home, where he feeds him and offers him a b ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Harper (first published 2006)

Obsidian
stephanie
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i think this is the lowest rating for a Laura Lippman book i have given, and i don't know if that is fair . . . but i didn't like the split focus, and i truly hated the first person POV at the beginning and end. i didn't mind it too much in her last book, when it was the unknown killer, but crow? really?

i read these books mostly for tess, and there was barely even mention of the dogs in this. a couple sentences of uncle spike, feeney in the beginning, a great scene with whitney, but no real fa
Lewis Weinstein
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story begins with an incredibly stupid act ... bringing home a street kid for dinner and overnight. Much of what follows is predictable. Less than heart-throbbing action. But ok for my purpose, which is a quick and not too challenging nighttime read after much more focused reading during the day.
Beth666ann
May 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I've come to the conclusion that Tess Monaghan is a Mary Sue, which--okay. I can deal with that. This book reads a lot like an episode of The Wire told from the perspective of the white middle class--some of the situations the black characters find themselves in could be directly lifted from the show. I continue to dislike Tess's thoughtless, headstrong way of tumbling into things and also her general lack of empathy and sensitivity to those around her. What amuses me is that the book--through C ...more
Magill
Overall I liked this book, I thought Lloyd was a good addition. I liked seeing Crow as a contributor to the puzzle, more or less. I liked meeting her "partner". The mystery itself was fine but I did find the baddies to be annoying, heavy-handed, which baddies can be, but these ones seemed a bit cartoonish to me... starting to worry now though, that I am getting to the end of the Tess books... They have been a not unpleasant way to pass the time and it has been interesting to see how her writing ...more
Danielle
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Perfectly respectable but not exactly eye-catching. You pretty much know who's looking for Lloyd because of the split POV and it's annoying to have to watch Tess fumble through looking for the reasons when we know them already. Half the reason I read mystery novels is the race and anticipation of figuring out the whodunnit so there didn't seem to be much of a point in continuing when I already had a suspicion.
I do like that the author made an effort to discuss White-black racial social commenta
BJ
Another good installment in this series. One thing I will say about this series is that it takes awhile to get into the stories, but once you do, they are really good. This author just takes a bit of time setting everything up but if you stick with it, they are really enjoyable. This one is about a murder of a prosecutor in Baltimore, a young black man that Tess's boyfriend brings home, who Tess and Crow end up protecting from the cops, as well as a couple of other murders. Once I got into the s ...more
Mary Joy
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
I read this series mostly because it's set in Baltimore and I think it's interesting to see how a native describes the place to outsiders (although I think she often overdoes the local color). I find the main character's boyfriend really irritating. I'll read the next book in the series, whatever that is, but I think Sue Grafton does this kind of thing a lot better.
J. Ewbank
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, novel
This book by Laura Lippman was a good read. It is one of the Tess Monaghan Novels but this is the first one that I have read. I would be willing to read more because the characters are well defined and the plot is interesting and novel, though at times a clittle complex to follow. Enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Glad to have a new mystery-series-with-strong-female-detective-set-in-a-personally-familiar-and-fun-setting (this time, Baltimore). Picked it up in the BWI airport & enjoyed it as holiday reading while the rest of the olsons were Wii'ing. Now I need to find the eight books that came before it to learn how the protagonist & boyfriend got to where they are now.
Craig Pittman
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Last summer, one of my picks for a paperback thriller to take with me to be an adult chaperone at Boy Scout summer camp was one of Laura Lippman's novels about her Baltimore PI Tess Monaghan, "The Girl in the Green Raincoat," and it was terrific. This summer I took along another Lippman special about Tess, and it was even better -- a thick and meaty slab of hardboiled fiction that really gave me something to chew on.

Monaghan's boyfriend, Crow, gets hustled by a street kid named Lloyd and winds u
Daniel Stern
Tess Monaghan series #9- I am reading these in order and enjoying the character development and Baltimore and its environs. It's enjoyable to read a series with relatable characters who develop more each book. This one has a lot more about Crow than any other, and, of course, Tess continues to evolve. The story itself, as most of the Tess Monaghans, doesn't keep you on the edge of the chair (we're usually aware of what's going on) but it's a good solid story about helping some city kids while ex ...more
Richard Thompson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, best1019
Maggee picked up this Mass Market paperback edition of NO GOOD DEEDS at a G2G PG meeting (which always includes a book exchange). When I eventually started reading it, I immediately thought that we may have stumbled onto a winner. Having just finished the book, I can confirm that Lippman's Tess Monaghan books will be an ongoing presence on our Read-alouds Shelf. (We are already part was thought BALITMORE BLUES, her first book.)

From the Goodreads blurb:

After finishing a shift volunteering at an i
Madbethcash
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
7/10

Enjoyed especially character development in this one.

(view spoiler)
Virginia Van
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When PI Tess Monaghan's partner Crow comes out of his volunteer shift at an inner-city soup kitchen on a cold winter night, he finds one of his car tires slashed. However, when 16 year-old con artist Lloyd Jupiter shows up with amazing speed and offers to help fix the flat for a small fee, rather than calling the police, Crow takes him home for the night. This turns out to be a deadly mistake when Tess finds out that Lloyd may have information concerning the brutal murder of a federal prosecutor ...more
Jamie
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read other Lippman books but this is my first Tess book. So far it has me interested but I'm not expecting much as I find it hard to believe that someone would be ok with a random 16 year old staying in their house. In addition, Crow and Tess are so okay with it that they feel comfortable enough to have sex, which Lloyd can actually hear. That's so out there to me.

Then Lloyd finds a box with a "horned horse" that he later deftly recalls is a unicorn. He's made to be dumb but this is after
Kristi Lamont
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
As a former journalist, I very much appreciated the message inherent this book, about how the media treats some lives as more "worthy" than others. As a series reader, I also appreciated finding out a little bit more about one of our main characters. As someone with a real life to which I was trying to attend while reading this book, I found the mystery proper actually more engaging than I thought I would over the course of several days (vs reading a book like this in one sitting). Two more to g ...more
Alarra
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
On one hand, we get to meet Lloyd! I like Lloyd's character and how he develops through the next few books. And Crow the do-gooder gets a big lesson in his well-intentioned but very white, middle-class privilege in this, which is a breath of relief after so many books of how great he is (I mean, he's still great in this, but certain things are pointed out to him that he has to acknowledge and learn from). HOWEVER it also has this convoluted plot of double and triple crosses between three governm ...more
Andrew Langert
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have read several books by this author, but this one is the book I liked least. It is about the unsolved case of the murder of a federal prosecutor and that event’s possible connection to the drug trade in Baltimore.
I found the book to be slow-moving, choppy and lacking in suspense. None of the characters were well-developed, interesting or appealing. The choppiness is a result of frequent scene shifts and the utilization of more than one point of view.
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
so... this instalment was okay, but it felt pretty clunky at times. privilege and entitlement in an unequal society are highlighted, though i felt it could have used a bit more nuance. i like crow, and appreciated that we got a bit more of his voice and story this time. for me, the use of his first person POV wasn't distinct enough.
Susie
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of this series, but maybe I've read too many or there are too many. A policeman with a backstory is killed. Tess' boyfriend brings home a street kid for some shelter and the story rolls on as to how the boy and the killing are connected. I like Tess and Crow but I'm going to need a more exciting mystery next time.
Cindy
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This starts to tie Tess together with Crow so that there is a direction for their relationship by having Crow be the instigator of the ‘situation’ by bringing home a street kid to keep him out of the cold and by having him experience some of what Tess does in her job when the whole ‘situation’ goes downhill. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Anna
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book yet

This book had me on the edge of my seat. I was so impressed with the story telling that I think crow deserves his own series. Crow Brings a guy home, but the guy had knowledge of a murder that took place. He just doesn't know it. Tess is hired to investigate but ends up putting the kid in danger when he gives the story to a reporter.
Frank
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
[library audiobook]

Tess Monaghan stories are always good. For this one, Crow's compulsive effort to protect a con man, a black teenage street kid, and Tess going along with him, seemed absurd. Even when the reason for Crow's thinking is revealed, it still didn't make sense. The rest of the story was pretty good.

Will read another
Ellen Listens 24/7
Absolutely the BEST Tess Monaghan book written. Crow's POV is totally implicit in bringing it out. His thoughts and words during the battle with life and violent, needless death while also balancing a moral dilemma steer him to making choices that affect all he's in contact with, not just himself. And that's irony. You'll see what I mean!
Carolyn Munroe
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book basically because I have become familiar with many characters that recur. I will say that this book had s few "officials" whose personalities ran so close together that I was halfway through the book before I had them well differentiated. Good result and an explanation for a character which pops up in a later book I have already read.
Loretta
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I might have reached the point where I can't pause between books. Really enjoying this series. I especially enjoyed that we get a little bit more of Crow in this one, after appreciating his absence from the last one. He is growing on me, and he grows as a character in this story as well. I am carrying right on to the next book in the series.
Beth
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A solid addition to the series. This must have been written during the height of The Wire. It is the first of the series to look at Baltimore from that lens. More predictable than most of the other books, this was still enjoyable.
Kimberly
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A solid effort, but was disappointed with the manner in which the crime and it's back story was revealed. Strong writing and driven plot by the author as usual, but the device of changing POV's could be frustrating.
Betty Day
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read too many of the same author . . . this is the book where the boyfriend brings a kid home rather then leave him on the street in the winter cold . . . don't remember what the other story was.

• The HarperCollins Study Bible: Fully Revised & Updated
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • The Mysterious West
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)
  • Tart Noir
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #4)
  • Trick of Light
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Iced
  • Nerve Damage
  • Chicago Lightning: The Collected Nathan Heller Short Stories (Nathan Heller Short Stories, #3)
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • Terminal (Burke, #17)
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • The Case Of The Mischievous Doll
Laura Lippman is a New York Times bestselling novelist who has won more than twenty awards for her fiction, including the Edgar Award—and been nominated for thirty more. Since her debut in 1997, she has published twenty-one novels, a novella, a children’s book, and a collection of short stories. Her books have been translated into over twenty languages. LitHub named her one of the “essential” fema ...more

Tess Monaghan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan #1)
  • Charm City (Tess Monaghan #2)
  • Butchers Hill (Tess Monaghan #3)
  • In Big Trouble (Tess Monaghan #4)
  • The Sugar House (Tess Monaghan #5)
  • In a Strange City (Tess Monaghan, #6)
  • The Last Place (Tess Monaghan #7)
  • By a Spider's Thread (Tess Monaghan #8)
  • Another Thing to Fall (Tess Monaghan #10)
  • The Girl in the Green Raincoat (Tess Monaghan, #11)
“He brought down Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Jay Cantor’s Krazy Kat, then grabbed an omnibus volume of Dick. “And this is the book that inspired the film we saw tonight.” Tess stifled a laugh, but not the surge of affection behind it. Where some might have seen an almost woeful ignorance” 2 likes
“And he had no quarrel with dessert—a choice of chocolate, pistachio, or strawberry ice cream from Moxley’s, served with homemade brownies. His plate cleared, he” 1 likes