Start by marking “Shaking the Trees” as Want to Read:

Shaking the Trees

From the very first page Shaking the Trees meets you at the edge of the forest, extends a limb & seduces you into taking a walk through the dark & light of connection. Suddenly, like a gunshot in the very-near distance, you find yourself traipsing though a full-blown love story that you can’t find your way out of because the story is actually the landscape undernea ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 72 pages
Published June 2014 by Words Dance Publishing

Liz Janet
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was read for the #readwomen month.
Did I cry reading this? Maybe. Have you not read the description? It was simply meant to happen.
Yes, I did feel like I was on a journey, and I did not go hungry, for the trees bowed for me to take their fruit, and water sprung from rocks for me to drink, and the animals lead me to the end while singing in my ear. But I did go hungry when the pain was the only thing filling my stomach, and I went thirsty when the rocks hid from the shadows, and I was lo
Chelsea Miller
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in the mail and had to wait 2 hours before reading it. I anticipated its contents so much that the timing and moment had to be perfect when I delve into its pages. I finished it as the trees around me shook from the wind and every word still reverberating through my soul. I wanted to cry and cheer and fuck. I wanted to take the next person I saw and kiss them straight on the lips and say, "Remember this moment for the rest of your life." Azra has been an inspiration to me si ...more
Michael Brown
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book pissed me off through no fault of it's own. I didn't want to return to that devastatingly lonely place of my youth, i wasn't looking to be laying awake crying at three a.m. for all the innocence and love left behind.

But it also tapped that place where passion remains undaunted and emotion is lived rather than observed.. ..and, if i dare, where slivers of hope still germinate.

Powerful juju, and cause for celebration.
Noura
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Noura by: Lily
I have no idea how this slipped my radar. I’ve been following 5000letters (that's the authors user name on tumblr who you should check out and basically worship her words) for quite some time and while I knew she had a book coming out I wasn’t sure when the release date was.
Lo and behold the morning of June 30th comes by and I check my email only to find a copy of this book sent to me by the lovely Layla in my inbox and before I even bother with washing my face or brushing my teeth I got to read
Rania
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Azra's poetry hurts. Azra's poetry is raw. Azra's poetry is absolutely beautiful.
Donna-Marie Riley
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I was first getting to know Azra, I remember her telling me her goal was to be a novelist, in particular (if I recall correctly), a young adult writer. I was surprised, as I think most of her followers on Tumblr would be. Because the thing is -- Azra does poetry so well. She knows how to gut a subject and leave the bloody pulp on the page. She knows how to strangle a topic until it is purple at its extremities and everyone reading can feel the pulse of it in their temples.

Nadia
Dec 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I began this book with low expectations, and it didn't even meet those. I do, however, recommend this book for comedic purposes; it has great (albeit unintentional) punchlines about having somebody to "fuck my body and not my mind". Equally, the cliche of pretty girls wearing red lipstick and chain smoking is there in abundance for anyone who isn't tired of it yet.

In addition to the comedic genius, we have some truly ingenious metaphors. Take for example: "I'm the toothbrush,/and you're the toi
Carrie
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Azra's poems are such a spectacular example of woven emotions. I am not usually a big fan of poetry, but there's something about hers that ensnares me every time. It's unabashedly honest, and natural, and visceral. If you're curious about her style, check out her website here. (She shares her own as well as works that inspire her.)

I own this book and I will never donate it. I'm thinking of getting a second copy to let others borrow.
Afia
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this last night when I was bored and just looking for something to read. I wasn't sure If I would like it or not.. Azra's poetry is beautiful! It's so different and raw. The perfect book to curl up in bed with and that's exactly what I did.
brittaney
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
oh my god my heart will never be the same hel p
Leonor Morrow
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love Azra's poetry. It reads almost like prose, and I find myself wanting more with every page. I also like how cohesive the book is. A solid debut!
Jamall Andrew
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Exceedingly sweet. 51 pages of beautiful prose and poetry. Not excessive but enough to get inside you.
Kayla
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Note to self: reread "Feed" by Azra over and over until your eyes are sore.
Cassidy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Love, love, love. Lovely. Loving. Loved it. You get the idea.
Reygan Parker
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Silvia Feldi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The poetry I found on her blog was so good that I had really high expectations regarding her book. It's not so bad but it was more of a teenage love drama that you will find close to your heart or not depending on your own development stage in life. Mix between prose and poetry, I found the prose bits more powerful and engaging. Definitely check her blog for some really inspiring poems about love and life.
Mirna Rebeca
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Right through every fiber of my heart and soul... how could I not think of him with dazzling poetry?
Daphne
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Like someone's diary
Amanda Carrier
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. After reading all the reviews I was excited and hopeful, though ultimately disappointed. It's a good read for young adults, or those wanting to relive some inevitable tragedies and lessons youth brings. In theory, it's wonderful, however it lacks the emotions and raw gut feeling of actually experiencing these things. I found some parts rather clichéd (while trying not to be).

It read like a star crossed teen soap opera- poems chronicling the lifespan of a relationship
Clemence
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
after re-reading again and again the first pages i finally found proper time to read and it was nice though hard to follow sometime. i want to read more poetry
Lorna Victoria
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I'd forgotten that I had this, but I remember taking a long time deciding whether to buy it or not. Poetry in most forms with love at its center just bugs me because it usually comes off trite- like Hallmark Valentines you send to your crush when you're 9.
When I found it in a box today i looked at the cover and thought "did I really buy this? I thought I'll read it and hate it and put it in the "to sell" pile.

This is NOT that kind of poetry with "love" in it. I wanted to hate it, but it got me
k4dra
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was alright. I read it in one sitting as i do most short anthologies, but this one didn't kick it where it hurts for me. A bit fluffy and cliche at certain parts. To be honest, i guess i was just looking for something more... groundbreaking out of this?

I feel like it had the potential to be so much more, and now i'm left mourning the loss. It was interesting following the story, but it felt too forceful to resonate with me.. I guess you could say i was hungry for more and unfortunately, i wa
Amanda
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Full of sex and foul language and butterflies and fires and natural disasters. My favourites were This is How You Will Fall in Love and Delilah. My favourite part of reading this was finishing the raw and emotive narrative poetry and then reading the author's bio. The juxtaposition was intense and I think she is a soul sister.
Melony Rose
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jewels
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. so much potential filled this book, but the fluffy "tumblr" poetry wasn't very original and I have a hard time trying to remember a specific poem--they all blur together. I look forward to reading more poetry by azra, hopefully she'll branch out and improve with age
Matilde
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was looking forward to reading this so much, and it completely lived up to my expectations! One of my favourite poetry collections.
Keondra Freemyn
Jan 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, 2015
Solid first work for a poet that i am really looking forward to watching grow in the craft.
Camille
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Raw, emotional, powerful. I loved it. Perfect for the late nights.
HY Mire
A poignant look at the experience of first time loves, beautifully done by an emerging writer.
Regan
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 There were some beautiful, resonating lines throughout. But for me, her age distracted from some of the poems- when she ruminated on marriage, it was definitely a 19-year-old's slant. That's not necessarily bad, but I'll be interested to see whether her poetry evolves with age.

• Healing Old Wounds With New Stitches
  • Belly of the Beast
  • Home
  • This Is How We Find Each Other
  • Unwritten Letters to You
  • Love and Other Small Wars
  • Literary Sexts: A Collection of Short & Sexy Love Poems (Volume 2)
  • It Looked a Lot Like Love
  • The Year of No Mistakes: A Collection of Poetry
  • There Should Be Flowers
  • Songs from Under the River: A Collection of Poetry
  • Visiting Hours
“Hold everything very carefully unless it is your lover’s back. Then, become metal, become teeth, do not gentle yourself for any man. Do not change for the ones who think that
you should be softer, less mouth, less voice. You do not owe regrowth to anyone but yourself. When they begin to ask for you to shape yourself around them, leave. Shut the door firmly. Do not look back.”
11 likes