Start by marking “The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)

The Devil Inside

(Cain Casey #1)

Brains, guts, and ruthless ambition should be enough to come out on top in any fight. Except when the battle is over love, all bets are off. Derby Cain Casey was groomed from birth to take the reins of the Casey family enterprises, which just happens to be one of the major crime organizations in New Orleans. Surviving by never turning away from a fight and knowing how to w ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Inside

Olivia
There is no instance, I mean NO INSTANCE imo, where the word 'sweetling' should be used as a form of endearment. As far as I'm concerned, the 16 times sweetling was mentioned by the unbelievably UNSEXY narration done by Hilarie Mukavitz, were 16 times too many. That and the horrible accents & intonation used for each character were jarring to my poor ears.

Perhaps my rating would be higher if I'd not listened to the audiobook. But I had a credit to spend so c'est la vie. I think I'll stick to
Stef Rozitis
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
A clear case for the argument that queer is not always good. I feel like going on a side rant about the depictions of lesbian relationships as butch/femme binaries and the invisibility of lesbians like me in most of these books in general. But coming back to the "butch" character with the odd name that is almost a given of these books, I found her one of the most unlikeable protagonists I have ever met.

She is controlling to the point of emotional abuse of her partner (even though she meets her e
Jane Shambler
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT!!!

Wow, I read this book in a day. I just couldn't put it down. I felt like I was reading an American version of Martina Cole. I've read all her books and now I'm hooked on Ali Vali and I'm gonna read all hers too. It's really well written and the characters are very realistic. The storyline is of high quality and outstanding. It has to be one of the best books I've ever read. I'm off to read number two. But you have to read this. I'd give it ten stars if I could. Enjoy!
Arien
DNF @50%. Emma is so stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. Everyone in this book assumes and doesn't communicate. On top of that all characters are one dimensional and the general flow of the story too predictable while some plot turns come straight outta left field and don't make much sense to me.

Why Emma doesn't believe the words of her partner of what was it, 7 years? Why Emma left without proper explanation from Cain? She just assumes and leaves just like that. Why was she fine for 7 y
Corrie
While reading The Devil Inside I often wondered how can any couple bounce back from that much pain, betrayal and mutual inflicted suffering? Derby Cain Casey and Emma Verde sure seem to have all of that stuff going on between them in spades. Then add to that the son Emma left behind when she walked out on Cain 4 years ago. Oh boy, major drama-rama with a nice big helping of angst.

Ali Vali paints a very intruiging picture of the machinations inside the various New Orleans crime families, the Iris
Heinerway
There are so many things I didn't like here in this story: the main character on the wrong side of the law, her too mature eleven year son, her wife that didn't mind her shady dealings but disapproves "that incident" and flees back to her family in Wisconsin, the flashbacks, the corrupt and incompetent law enforcers, the mother back in Wisconsin... So sorry, but I didn't like this book.
Velvet Lounger
Cain Casey Series – Ali Vali

I just read the first 5 books of Ali Vali’s Cain Casey ‘Devil’ series straight through, book a day, no stopping for anything. Wow.. brilliant! I don’t actually know how I hadn’t read them all before. They are favourite books of a friend, and I have really enjoyed Ms Valis’ other books.

For those who haven’t enjoyed them yet – Cain Casey is head of an Irish clan in NOLA. The family business if hooch, importing illegal alcohol and tobacco, and make the Casey clan one of
Kennedy
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cain is the head of one of New Orleans' mob families. That in and of itself catches your attention. A women with swag, sex appeal and a monolithic devotion to family. To enjoy this book you need to be okay with some questionable occurrences and responses. I was captivated by the characters and their commitment to family. There is definitely something intriguing about Cain, Emma and Hayden. The flashbacks were written in such as way to inform the reader about why things are the way they are right ...more
Heidi
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I put off reading this series, didn't think it was something I would like. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be and I'm totally hooked. Ali Vali is a great story teller and I was enthralled right from the start. I listened to this as an audio book and it was great. Book two here I come!
Alealea
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: f-f
What is not bad in this book ?
It's kinda hard to say.
Everything is wrong and feels wrong.

To sumup, very caricatural characters.
No mystery, no romance and story is just angsty. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I will never pick it up again and won't read what follow.
Lexxi Kitty
The book opens somewhat abruptly, or, I mean, after the ‘action’ has already started.

Four years ago, after a mistaken impression of how events unfolded, Emma Verde fled back to her parents’ home in Wisconsin. Leaving behind her son and partner (wife, if it had been legal for her to be wife). For, while she understood the concept that Cain Casey might be operating on slightly the wrong side of the law, she didn’t realize blood might be involved. A realization developed when she literally saw Cas
LVLMLeah
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dide
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gangsta, chase, espionage, some gore... I felt this was a full package of the female "Untouchables". I enjoyed it and so look forward to reading the rest in the series.
That said I agree with another commentator (Olivia) about the overuse of a word🤣😁... But for me that didn't diminish my enjoyment
Shannon Luchies
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent, but not great.

Oddly this book reads like the third book in a ongoing series, not the first. So you have a lot of ongoing threads and plots you are just kinda dropped into the middle of, instead of getting any kind of set up. Mind you, it's not a bad book if you like that sort of style, but it didn't entirely work for me.
poppp
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

Took me a while to get used to the writing style, but overall good read. It was a little dragging, and was sometimes unbelievable -- especially Hayden's age and all. Still, I'll be reading the next in the series.
Kexx
See Netta's review: Oh! Dear! I'm not.
Warmus
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sapphic
What a fun and entertaining story. Are some of the characters unbelievable? Yep. Is the incompetency of the FBI a little scarey? Absolutely. So what, I'm enjoying the ride. This story does however, highlight important life lessons such as family values, loyalty, forgiveness, an eye for an eye, and always pay your taxes.

Some have complained the story jumps to different POVs. I think it's necessary for this to be a well-rounded gangster tale. As far as the characters are concerned, I'm lovin' me
Kerry  sullivan
I didn't finish this. I found that there was just too much back story that the reader was expected to understand. This felt like book 2 and you so needed to read book 1.
Missouri Vaun
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read. Cain Casey is a great character. And you might as well go ahead and buy book two, The Devil Unleashed. You'll want it the minute you finish book one :-)
Jenn Matthews
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
With heaps of conflict, misunderstanding and drama, The Devil Inside is a good read. The characters are well-rounded and flawed, and the youngsters are realistic. I especially loved how, as a reader, I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on, until I read further and things became clearer. This created a good sense of suspense.

Negatives: personally I’m not a fan of cliffhangers. Although the emotional aspect of the story concludes, Ali manages to spark the readers interest with a hint at more tr
Lisa R. Smith
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Cain Casey series. Cain is a modern, female underworld character, bound by her Irish family’s sense of loyalty and honor among thieves. Her family business was started by her bootlegging ancestors in New Orleans during prohibition. Cain’s father, murdered in the course of business, saw to it she was ready to take over. The books are about her finding a wife, having a family, and cheating the government out of liquor tax. Cain is fair and respected by people in her business and is of c ...more
Jodie L.
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A "must read" book one from Ali! Great B/ f action (my favorite!)

I have this story five stars because I literally couldn't put the same thing down. When the kindle reader hopped me on the nose at night, would put it down - but only once the threat of personal injury was involved!😂
Michele
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a well written book. If I counted the number of times I rolled my eyes, it would be well into the double digits. Multiple annoying, unlikable characters starting with the main one. And all given the most annoying dialogue. Not even sure why I'm giving it 2 stars.
Marta
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a good read, but a fun read.
Feistync
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is how I’d like to write if I were a writer. Except minus “sweetling” cuz ugh. Anyway, I liked the characters and the pacing and how she set up the next book so I have to read it.
Kristy Drexel
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story I’m enjoying getting to know these characters and I love that Cain Casey is a female mob boss can’t wait to start the next one as this one left me hanging on the edge of my seat
De-Undra
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME. You should definitely read this book
🖒🖒🖒🖒🖒🖒🖒🖒
Jean Tiposah
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT WHAT A STORY!!!!!!!
Fleppy85
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the suspense, it kept me reading and reading although I had other plans and I'm very glad I had bought the first three books of this series together so I can continue with the second book.
My favorite scene was when the front teeth...were extracted in a not dentist way :D
Serenity Snow
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an entertaining read. I think I'll give the next book a try.

• Hunter's Pursuit
  • The Scorpion
  • Storms of Change (Provincetown Tales, #4)
  • Rebecca's Cove
  • Madam President
  • Snowbound
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
Ali Vali is the author of the long-running Cain Casey "Devil" series and the Genesis Clan "Forces" series, as well as numerous standalone romances including two Lambda Literary Award finalists, Calling the Dead and Love Match, and her 2017 release, Beauty and the Boss. Ali also has a novella in the collection Girls with Guns.
Originally from Cuba, Ali has retained much of her family's traditions an

Cain Casey (7 books)
  • Heart of the Devil (Cain Casey, #0)
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • The Devil Be Damned (Cain Casey, #4)
  • The Devil's Orchard (Cain Casey, #5)
  • The Devil's Due (Cain Casey, #6)
“shut up", it means be quiet and listen!” 3 likes
“anger, in and of itself, is a good thing, within reason, but it will be your greatest enemy if you don't learn to control it!” 2 likes