Start by marking “Spell Check” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
"It’s a little known fact that witches are alive and well in Salem, Massachusetts . . .
They call themselves cheerleaders."

Allyson Peterson believes that being hanged by the Salem High Witches is the absolute worst thing that can happen. But when her powers, wrested from the trolls of ancient Sweden, manifest themselves, she realizes that a prank hanging by vindictive cheer
Paperback, First, 218 pages
Published June 10th 2014 by Heart Stone Press

To ask other readers questions about Spell Check, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spell Check

Kathy
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Spell Check is a fun book appropriate for almost any age. I enjoyed it reading it as an adult, it would work as a read aloud to my 8 year old or I could give it to my 12 year old to read on his own.

Set is Salem, Spell Check weaves a tale with a new spin on witches based on Scandinavian folklore. While somewhat predictable this story has lot of unique elements that made it an enjoyable ready.

If you enjoy fantasy and are looking for an original, entertaining story that is squeaky clean give Spell
Louisa
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, man, such a great book! Wish I'd read it on Halloween, oh, well! So good! Kinda wish it was a series, but it ended in a good place!

Full Review from Blog:
I really enjoyed this book, so much! It was a nice, cute, sweet book, with a thread of seriousness,i n the magic, and the responsibilities there, between the trolls and the treaty made, but yeah, there were just a lot of hilarious comments!

I really enjoyed the notes to self, they were hilarious, like one was a repeat of a previous one, and
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
After finding out that the women in her family inherit powers that were wrested from the trolls of ancient Sweden, Allyson Peterson did not expect the amount of responsibility or troubles they can cause. Suddenly the saying, 'be careful of what you wish for' holds a whole new meaning. Especially after accidentally sending her parents off to the jungle to fight anacondas, cursing the cheer-leading team and turning her own little brother mute. Now her Swedish grandmother is involved in fixing her ...more
Heather
What a fun story from Julie Wright. I've read her romances as well as her Middle Grade novels (Hazzardous Universe), and this was a fun surprise. I wasn't surprised at the humor and the fabulous characters, which are Wright's specialty. Set in Salem, with just a little magic, this is the perfect summer read for adults and teens alike.
Stephonie
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself laughing out loud quite often. When I had to put it down I couldn't wait to pick it back up again.
Alice
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alice by: Deleen
Shelves: book-group
As an aging adult, I enjoyed reading this book! It wasn't exactly a mature YA book - sort of more on the juvenile side of YA; but most any teenage girl would really love it, I think. And it is clean and has a good moral code between the lines.

At first, I was afraid this was going to be too juvenile (for my book group) when it opened with a cruel, immature prank the "popular" girls played on Ally; but it moved on from that, and Wright was able to put in a lot of underlying things that many of us
Jenboyack
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Julie Wright's stories through her Newport Ladies Book Club series, and her books have been one of my "go-to" choices ever since.

I opened up Spell Check with the intention of reading a couple chapters before getting things done for the day. Spell Check had me hooked from the first page. Julie's characters leap to life, and quickly become likeable and relatable. Julie can see straight into the soul of an awkward teenage girl and help her find her power. I could not stop readi
Walter Peterson
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Julie Wright's new fantasy book Spell Check. It was a complete delight and a fun read. I peviously have read her other books, including the Hazzardous Universe series book one and two. I hope book three will be coming out soon. This book is as interesting as it is imaginative and well written. I generally read military, spy, and thrillers, but enjoy a good fantasy every now again.
Summer Peterson
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spell Check was a super fun read taking some old ideas (witches, girl finding out she has powers) and making them new and fresh (trolls and witch trials that are totally unlike anything that happened in Salem). The story had great humor with some laugh-out-loud moments. I loved the notes to self and the reindeer at the doorstep. Fast read. Good heart.
Chelsea Nissalke
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Julie ties in the struggle of high school matched with magical powers so well, I didn't want to put the book down. This book really makes people think about those strange "accidents" that tend to happen in high school. The characters are easy to relate to. Can't wait for more books from Julie Wright!!
Cindy
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun read. As usual Julie has created wonderful characters that you will connect with. Her ability to infuse humor while creating the story, is one of the things I most like about this author. An absolute must read.
Kristine Hall
Be careful what you wish for because wishes can come true! It's Ally Peterson's sixteenth birthday, and as she dangles from a tree -- the victim of a cruel prank -- maybe Ally wishes a little nastiness on bully Lisa and the rest of the cheerleaders, and maybe those wishes come true. Ally soon finds out that it is not coincidence but her family lineage that is making her wishes come true, and that even the most innocent of wishes can have dire consequences. Already Ally's life is complicated with ...more
Sheila
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spell Check is a fun story of a young woman, Ally from Salem Massachusetts, whose life is turned upside down in just a few days. Not only does she find out that her thoughtless wishes are coming true, but also that she is a witch. Turning 16 is the key that unlocks her powers and boy does this cause havoc in her and her family's life, her friends and her "frenemies" lives. I really liked how her magical powers came from the four elements of earth, air, water and fire. The best part of the book ...more
(;Missy.Lala;)
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everyone knows that witches are myths, and are very well known in childhood fairytales, and people once believed that they used to exists before the 1600s. Well, if they did exist today, we would really use the term "witches" another word for female dog, which is what we like to call to cheerleaders.

Well, in this story witches are real (no not what we call the really mean people that treat others who are lower than them kind of witches, REAL witches!!!)

We have a girl named Allyson; Who believes
Marni
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5

I wish to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

Honestly, this has to be the best coming of age witch book I've read in ages. Perfect for the teen reader, it also draws in to the imagination of those older. Who doesn't think it would be cool to find out that they are actually a witch? Unfortunately for Ally, she didn't read the letter her grandmother had sent, so she haphazardly
Rhonda
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Spell Check is full of drama, action, teenage drama, magic gone wild, humor and characters that you like. Also it is a clean read. it grabs your attention right off.
It is almost Halloween and Ally has agreed to help the cheerleaders film a skit. She is going to be hanged as a witch. When Ally is hanging from a tree things go wrong fast. Ally starts wishing bad things to happen to them. It comes true.

Ally has just turned 16. Her parents are divorced for two years now. They still fight when
Taylor Knight
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was drawn to this book based completely on the cover and when I read the blurb, I got so excited when I seen
"ancient Sweden". I love Sweden and the idea of having some cool, old time magic was a really great idea to me.
However, I didn't really get as hooked on this book as I thought I would.

The beginning was good. I liked how the chapters started with "Note to self". It added something original to an otherwise not so original plot.
I tend to roll my eyes at any YA book what has Salem and wit
Gilisgreen_15kindle.com
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, clean fantasy read. It was so creative, humorous, and descriptive. The author has a fascinating imagination. I wondered if it would be about magic before I started reading and then the beginning made me rethink that until the magic started to happen. I became bored about half way through the book, but a younger audience wouldn't be bored. This book would suit the pre-teen/early teen age very well. It will help them remember that they are loved even if they aren't the most popular ...more
Mark Smiley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well done, Julie!

I have met Julie several times at science fiction symposia in Utah. I have sat in on her panel discussions and enjoy her insightful and articulated responses. I own many of her books although they were written for a younger generation. I can always trust her to write something wholesome even though at times less than savory situations are involved.

This story is of a young girl who finds out she is a troll witch, thanks to her father' s mother. She is plagued with troubles and ma
Alina Syed
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received a free eBook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Spell Check is a story about witches and trolls, set in Salem. It tells the story of Allyson Peterson, who comes into her witching powers on her sixteenth birthday. That’s when all her wishes begin to come true. Her parents are divorced, which she doesn’t like at all and therefore wishes them to be together. Her parents disappear, she makes the whole cheerleading team sick and her Farmor from Sweden comes to help her wi
Becky
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
It's always a relief to read a YA book with loving, supportive parents. You don't realize how rare it is until you run into one that has them, and this book not only has great parents, but it also has a truly wonderful grandmother. The approach to magic was unique and fun and the story moved quickly and was engaging with great characters who maybe tried a little too hard not to be cliches. I've read a lot of light YA lately so maybe I'm over-saturated, but I'm a bit tired of the outsider girl se ...more
Linda
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an enchanting young adult novel about the coming of age of Allyson. The catch is that with her 16th birthday also comes a mysterious wish fulfillment ability. And before Allyson can get a handle on how this wish thing works, she makes the whole cheerleading team sick, turns her arch enemy's hair and fingernails green and slimy, and sends her parents off to fight giant snakes in the jungle. Can her Swedish grandmother help her with this strange ability? A fun read with intriguing characte ...more
Annette Holbrook
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the charming coming of age story of Ally who has a very unique 16th birthday. And the days following are even more interesting! Ally, along with her family and friends experience a suspenseful adventure that left me chuckling to myself, cheering on our heroine and compelling me to turn my pages a little faster. I love stories that are timeless and can be shared by multiple generations. That's just what this story is! A rare find in my opinion.
Elizabeth Jane
I've read loads of different novels based on witches and witchcraft but this one felt fresh and original. I loved Ally's character! She is spunky, witty, and quick-thinking. She is a social underdog thanks to a jealous nemesis but manages to stay positive (and eventually stands up for herself in a truly profound way--using honesty!). I hope that Mrs. Wright decides to keep going with this type of book! :)
Carri
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was fun and entertaining. The characters were great and I enjoyed every minute of the book. It is a book about a 16 year old girl finding out she has powers. Her coming to terms with them and finding her strength along the way. It is humorous in parts and overall enjoyable.
It is refreshingly clean and a good choice for pre-teens and older.
Yanelis
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Julie Wright

I loved this story. I've read loads of different novels based on witches and witchcraft but this one felt fresh and original. Spell Check was a super fun read taking some old ideas. Awesome book! Great characters, great story line, great writing!

Rating: 4.5 Stars - Highly Recommend
Shaina Pierce
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review, but that in no way effects my opinion. I absolutely adore this book! It's unique to the magic genre. She's not your typical "witch" and that in itself is nice. Plus, it's worded appropriately for young readers, but I am 25 and can say it's still something that can be read by an older crowd and still widely enjoyed. :-)
Kristen
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute ya novel. I enjoyed the whole thing. Hopefully there will be a sequel. There wasn't a cliffhanger, but it did leave me wondering what would happen next...

Moral Note: Very clean. Some mild bullying in high school.

(Some minor editing errors)
Luanne Aspinall
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Spell Check

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy!! The characters were very real to me, like I was there watching it all happen.
Allyson Maclay
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book and just because the main character spells her name the same as my name. i could really see all ages loved this book. i am going to give it to the girl i baby sit to read she will enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Heart of the Ocean
  • First Light (Forever After, #1)
  • Ghost Moon Night
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Love Me Always
  • Solstice
  • Lord Trowbridge's Angel (Six Rogues and Their Ladies #5)
  • Descendant (Descendant, #1)
  • The Outer Edge of Heaven: A Love Story
  • Life Cycle (Preternaturals, #4)
  • Cassidy Jones and the Seventh Attendant (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #3)
  • The Phantom of the Post Office (43 Old Cemetery Road, #4)
  • Kate's Kisses (Sweet Treats Bakery #1)
  • Doodle Adventures: The Search for the Slimy Space Slugs!
  • In A Stranger's Arms
  • If It Rains Pancakes: Haiku and Lantern Poems
  • Corrigan Lust (Corrigan, #5)
  • The LAST Snowman
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written over twenty novels since then. She is represented by Sara Crowe. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending on attrition).

She loves
More about Julie Wright...