Start by marking “Spell Check” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  87 reviews
"It’s a little known fact that witches are alive and well in Salem, Massachusetts . . .
They call themselves cheerleaders."

Allyson Peterson believes that being hanged by the Salem High Witches is the absolute worst thing that can happen. But when her powers, wrested from the trolls of ancient Sweden, manifest themselves, she realizes that a prank hanging by vindictive cheer
Paperback, First, 218 pages
Published June 10th 2014 by Heart Stone Press

To ask other readers questions about Spell Check, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spell Check

Spirit of the Knight by Debbie  PetersonHidden Monster by Amanda  StrongQueen of Someday by Sherry D. FicklinAs You Are by Sarah M. EdenHope Springs by Sarah M. Eden
Whitney Award Eligible Books 2014
65th out of 186 books — 370 voters
As You Are by Sarah M. EdenFor Elise by Sarah M. EdenHope Springs by Sarah M. EdenFull Steam Ahead by Karen WitemeyerSpirit of the Knight by Debbie  Peterson
2014 Swoony Awards
497th out of 539 books — 1,681 voters

More lists with this book...

Inspired Kathy
Spell Check is a fun book appropriate for almost any age. I enjoyed it reading it as an adult, it would work as a read aloud to my 8 year old or I could give it to my 12 year old to read on his own.

Set is Salem, Spell Check weaves a tale with anew spinon witches based on Scandinavian folklore. While somewhat predictable this story has lot of unique elements that made it an enjoyable ready.

If you enjoy fantasy and are looking for an original, entertaining story that is squeaky clean give Spell Ch
Oh, man, such a great book! Wish I'd read it on Halloween, oh, well! So good! Kinda wish it was a series, but it ended in a good place!

Full Review from Blog:
I really enjoyed this book, so much! It was a nice, cute, sweet book, with a thread of seriousness,i n the magic, and the responsibilities there, between the trolls and the treaty made, but yeah, there were just a lot of hilarious comments!

I really enjoyed the notes to self, they were hilarious, like one was a repeat of a previous one, and
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
After finding out that the women in her family inherit powers that were wrested from the trolls of ancient Sweden, Allyson Peterson did not expect the amount of responsibility or troubles they can cause. Suddenly the saying, 'be careful of what you wish for' holds a whole new meaning. Especially after accidentally sending her parents off to the jungle to fight anacondas, cursing the cheer-leading team and turning her own little brother mute. Now her Swedish grandmother is involved in fixing her ...more
What a fun story from Julie Wright. I've read her romances as well as her Middle Grade novels (Hazzardous Universe), and this was a fun surprise. I wasn't surprised at the humor and the fabulous characters, which are Wright's specialty. Set in Salem, with just a little magic, this is the perfect summer read for adults and teens alike.
I was introduced to Julie Wright's stories through her Newport Ladies Book Club series, and her books have been one of my "go-to" choices ever since.

I opened up Spell Check with the intention of reading a couple chapters before getting things done for the day. Spell Check had me hooked from the first page. Julie's characters leap to life, and quickly become likeable and relatable. Julie can see straight into the soul of an awkward teenage girl and help her find her power. I could not stop readi
Walter Peterson
I just finished reading Julie Wright's new fantasy book Spell Check. It was a complete delight and a fun read. I peviously have read her other books, including the Hazzardous Universe series book one and two. I hope book three will be coming out soon. This book is as interesting as it is imaginative and well written. I generally read military, spy, and thrillers, but enjoy a good fantasy every now again.
Summer Peterson
Spell Check was a super fun read taking some old ideas (witches, girl finding out she has powers) and making them new and fresh (trolls and witch trials that are totally unlike anything that happened in Salem). The story had great humor with some laugh-out-loud moments. I loved the notes to self and the reindeer at the doorstep. Fast read. Good heart.
Chelsea Nissalke
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Julie ties in the struggle of high school matched with magical powers so well, I didn't want to put the book down. This book really makes people think about those strange "accidents" that tend to happen in high school. The characters are easy to relate to. Can't wait for more books from Julie Wright!!
This is such a fun read. As usual Julie has created wonderful characters that you will connect with. Her ability to infuse humor while creating the story, is one of the things I most like about this author. An absolute must read.

Spell Check is full of drama, action, teenage drama, magic gone wild, humor and characters that you like. Also it is a clean read. it grabs your attention right off.
It is almost Halloween and Ally has agreed to help the cheerleaders film a skit. She is going to be hanged as a witch. When Ally is hanging from a tree things go wrong fast. Ally starts wishing bad things to happen to them. It comes true.

Ally has just turned 16. Her parents are divorced for two years now. They still fight when
Taylor Knight
I was drawn to this book based completely on the cover and when I read the blurb, I got so excited when I seen
"ancient Sweden". I love Sweden and the idea of having some cool, old time magic was a really great idea to me.
However, I didn't really get as hooked on this book as I thought I would.

The beginning was good. I liked how the chapters started with "Note to self". It added something original to an otherwise not so original plot.
I tend to roll my eyes at any YA book what has Salem and wit
Mark Smiley
Well done, Julie!

I have met Julie several times at science fiction symposia in Utah. I have sat in on her panel discussions and enjoy her insightful and articulated responses. I own many of her books although they were written for a younger generation. I can always trust her to write something wholesome even though at times less than savory situations are involved.

This story is of a young girl who finds out she is a troll witch, thanks to her father' s mother. She is plagued with troubles and ma
Kristine Hall
Be careful what you wish for because wishes can come true! It's Ally Peterson's sixteenth birthday, and as she dangles from a tree -- the victim of a cruel prank -- maybe Ally wishes a little nastiness on bully Lisa and the rest of the cheerleaders, and maybe those wishes come true. Ally soon finds out that it is not coincidence but her family lineage that is making her wishes come true, and that even the most innocent of wishes can have dire consequences. Already Ally's life is complicated with ...more
This was a fun, clean fantasy read. It was so creative, humorous, and descriptive. The author has a fascinating imagination. I wondered if it would be about magic before I started reading and then the beginning made me rethink that until the magic started to happen. I became bored about half way through the book, but a younger audience wouldn't be bored. This book would suit the pre-teen/early teen age very well. It will help them remember that they are loved even if they aren't the most popular ...more

I wish to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

Honestly, this has to be the best coming of age witch book I've read in ages. Perfect for the teen reader, it also draws in to the imagination of those older. Who doesn't think it would be cool to find out that they are actually a witch? Unfortunately for Ally, she didn't read the letter her grandmother had sent, so she haphazardly
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself laughing out loud quite often. When I had to put it down I couldn't wait to pick it back up again.
Alina Syed
*I received a free eBook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Spell Check is a story about witches and trolls, set in Salem. It tells the story of Allyson Peterson, who comes into her witching powers on her sixteenth birthday. That’s when all her wishes begin to come true. Her parents are divorced, which she doesn’t like at all and therefore wishes them to be together. Her parents disappear, she makes the whole cheerleading team sick and her Farmor from Sweden comes to help her wi
(;Lucy.Lala;) (;Book-A-Holic;)
Everyone knows that witches are myths, and are very well known in childhood fairytales, and people once believed that they used to exists before the 1600s. Well, if they did exist today, we would really use the term "witches" another word for female dog, which is what we like to call to cheerleaders.

Well, in this story witches are real (no not what we call the really mean people that treat others who are lower than them kind of witches, REAL witches!!!)

We have a girl named Allyson; Who believes
Spell Check is a fun story of a young woman, Ally from Salem Massachusetts, whose life is turned upside down in just a few days. Not only does she find out that her thoughtless wishes are coming true, but also that she is a witch. Turning 16 is the key that unlocks her powers and boy does this cause havoc in her and her family's life, her friends and her "frenemies" lives. I really liked how her magical powers came from the four elements of earth, air, water and fire. The best part of the book ...more
This is an enchanting young adult novel about the coming of age of Allyson. The catch is that with her 16th birthday also comes a mysterious wish fulfillment ability. And before Allyson can get a handle on how this wish thing works, she makes the whole cheerleading team sick, turns her arch enemy's hair and fingernails green and slimy, and sends her parents off to fight giant snakes in the jungle. Can her Swedish grandmother help her with this strange ability? A fun read with intriguing characte ...more
Elizabeth Jane
I've read loads of different novels based on witches and witchcraft but this one felt fresh and original. I loved Ally's character! She is spunky, witty, and quick-thinking. She is a social underdog thanks to a jealous nemesis but manages to stay positive (and eventually stands up for herself in a truly profound way--using honesty!). I hope that Mrs. Wright decides to keep going with this type of book! :)
Shaina Pierce
I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review, but that in no way effects my opinion. I absolutely adore this book! It's unique to the magic genre. She's not your typical "witch" and that in itself is nice. Plus, it's worded appropriately for young readers, but I am 25 and can say it's still something that can be read by an older crowd and still widely enjoyed. :-)
I loved this book. It was fun and entertaining. The characters were great and I enjoyed every minute of the book. It is a book about a 16 year old girl finding out she has powers. Her coming to terms with them and finding her strength along the way. It is humorous in parts and overall enjoyable.
It is refreshingly clean and a good choice for pre-teens and older.
Annette Holbrook
This is the charming coming of age story of Ally who has a very unique 16th birthday. And the days following are even more interesting! Ally, along with her family and friends experience a suspenseful adventure that left me chuckling to myself, cheering on our heroine and compelling me to turn my pages a little faster. I love stories that are timeless and can be shared by multiple generations. That's just what this story is! A rare find in my opinion.
Julie Wright

I loved this story. I've read loads of different novels based on witches and witchcraft but this one felt fresh and original. Spell Check was a super fun read taking some old ideas. Awesome book! Great characters, great story line, great writing!

Rating: 4.5 Stars - Highly Recommend
Luanne Aspinall

Spell Check

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy!! The characters were very real to me, like I was there watching it all happen.
C.M. Keller
I enjoyed this book very much. The pacing was excellent. The characters were believable and sympathetic. The writing was clean. And the plot was fun and creative. Highly recommended.
Andrea Smith
This was a fun read, just in time for Halloween. Loved the main character's personality and spunk. I think I've found a new author to follow.
What a fun story. This is one I would recommend without hesitation and I would read again because of the fun details and the humor. Another awesome story by Julie Wright.
Debra Chapoton
Great read. I highly recommend this to teens and anyone who likes YA books. The story is original, the writing natural and entertaining, and the characters and plot completely original.
  • Heart of the Ocean
  • A Walk in Heaven
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Rumplestiltskin (Faerie Tale Collection, #3)
  • Sweet Chaos (Kali Sweet, #2)
  • Cassidy Jones and the Seventh Attendant (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #3)
  • New Order (Bo Blackman, #2)
  • Lord Trowbridge's Angel
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • The Most Important Catch
  • Descendant (Descendant, #1)
  • Max's Revenge: A Wedding, a Party and a Plate of Dog Food Stew (The Max Books #1)
  • Kate's Kisses (Sweet Treats Bakery #1)
  • Date Shark (Date Shark, #1)
  • Accidental Leigh (Literal Leigh Romance Diaries, #1)
  • Jack at the Helm (The Berenson Schemes, #3)
  • Under Zenith
  • Bob's Hungry Ghost
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written over twenty novels since then. She is represented by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger Inc. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending o
More about Julie Wright...
Cross My Heart My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club) Eyes Like Mine The Fortune Cafe (A Tangerine Street Romance)