Start by marking “Hanging Upside Down” as Want to Read:
Hanging Upside Down

Hanging Upside Down

Anthony Otero's first book is a first person narrative about men who make continual bad decisions in their love lives. Louis Ortiz is a student affairs professional looking to advance his career after a painful divorce. His life is turned around when he has to deal with life altering experiences surrounding his close friend, Frank. The story includes plot twists involving ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Latinegro

To ask other readers questions about Hanging Upside Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hanging Upside Down

Start your review of Hanging Upside Down
Thelonious Legend
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It takes a talented writer to weave a tale of a pilgrimage of self-discovery with a deeply flawed character that can keep readers enthralled. Mr. Otero is such a write and Hanging Upside Down is such a book. The protagonist is a charismatic character that is controlled by what Freud would define as his ID. His impulsive and self-destructive behavior careens between cringe worthy and stupefying but always manages to stay addictive. You find yourself rooting for this character in spite of himself ...more
Constance Burris
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was featured in the Blerd Book club. I would never have found this book. But I'm really glad I did because I was having a hard time finding books that kept my attention.

The first half is 5 star read. Its full of action with humor and punchy dialogue. The second half felt more like 3.5. The quality of dialogue and editing dropped off. Some parts felt like a technical manual or a brochure.

I would definitely recommend it, though. A fun, fast read.
N.D.
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read fiction novels written by men, so it was a pleasant experience reading Otero's work. His dialogue and inner thoughts were, hands down, the best part of the novel. They read as authentic, even when I didn't care for what was being said or thought. His characters were far from perfect, which was both a pro and a con of the novel. Too "real" characters can also equate to unlikable characters for the reader, characters the reader doesn't have much emotional investment in because they d ...more
Rick
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book was excellent, well written and engaging. I typically read on my commute to and from work on the train and I finished this book in about two and a half days. I found myself reading more of it after I got home because I couldn't put it down, wanting to find out what happened next.

If you're a Syracuse native or have more experience with Central NY (like what comes from being and alumni of Syracuse University like the author) then you'll appreciate the attention to detail regarding the are
Leticia Negron
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a compelling story of a man's journey finding himself. The book presents several twists and turns that keep the reader wanting more. I found myself unable to put the book down and was able to finish it in about a week. What I appreciate most about this book is the rawness of the characters, specifically Louis Ortiz. The author does a great job making him relatable and gives us hope that we all deserve a second chance at love. Definitely a must read!
Annamaria Felix
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING BOOK. Couldn't put it down. Very well written and it flows through events soo naturally! Can not wait to read more from this young man!
Michelle Soto
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is something so distinctly human about this novel. It's a story about a man who is figuratively and at one point literally Hanging Upside Down, trying to understand all the events that lead up to the culminating realization that he is being given a second chance at life. I find it marvelous that the protagonist isn't a villain, or a hero, but a man, and is everything that comes with it, owning his mistakes and pulling himself out of a totaled car that once siginfied his life.

I love that th
Sj
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Engaging and written fairly well for a first book. Good descriptive writing, so I could fully imagine the scenes he presented. Funny characters, although I almost needed a flowchart to keep track LOL

Some themes and ideas about dating resonated with me so I enjoyed reading a male perspective. I do look forward to more from this author.
Andre Cole
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A compelling story. It's rare that we read the love stories of men much less men of color. Otero has crafted a wonderful page turner detailing the sexy, sad and sobering love life of a man trying to figure it all out.
Zulay
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story --- a love story from a male's perspective. Storyline keeps you on the edge of your seat with great learning lessons for any young man with a jaded view of love.
EJT
Silje
Jul 18, 2014
Cat
Anthony Otero
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Joannella
Kathy Kinney
Sara Lynott
Marie Ryant
Oct 08, 2014
Anthony Otero, a Bronx native, Syracuse University alum, Afro-Latino blogger/podcaster, and former contributor to the Huffington Post, has aspired to be a published author for most of his life. He began his blogging career in 2009 which chronicled his journey through life as a student affairs professional going through a divorce to his journey toward self-publishing.

His first book, Hanging Upside

News & Interviews

“I would tell you that she is global warming.
She’s the one that completely altered the
climate of my life and like the people
on this planet, I’m not ready for her.”
1 likes
“They say that a near death experience makes a person see a flash of their past, but that hasn't happened to me at all.” 0 likes