Start by marking “White Lady” as Want to Read:
White Lady

White Lady

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Sonia yearns for sharp objects and blood. But now that she’s rehabilitating herself as a “normal” mother and mathematics teacher, it’s time to stop dreaming about slicing people’s throats.

While being the wife of Melbourne’s leading drug lord and simultaneously dating his best mate is not ideal, she’s determined to make it work.

It does work. Until Mia, her lover’s daughter,
Published October 1st 2014 by Vine Leaves Press

To ask other readers questions about White Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lady

Jim
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should probably say up front that Jessica and I are friends. I should add that I’m not the friend you turn to to ask if your bum looks too big in something you clearly know you probably shouldn’t be trying to pull off at your age. I should probably also say up front that I don’t read thrillers and am frankly a bit of a literary snob. Not many people, be they Nobel or Pulitzer Prize winners, get five stars out of me. So the fact that I’m giving this book four stars is an achievement. The frustr ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: suspense thriller Jessica Bell fans
Recommended to Carolyn by: goodreads
White Lady by Jessica Bell I received a free kindle copy of White Lady by Jessica Bell in a goodreads promotion in exchange for fair review. It was an intriguing book. I gave it five stars.

Written from multiple points of view: Mia, daughter of Celeste & Nash, who are separated. Nash & Sonia are both teachers & 'special' friends.  Mick is Sonia's & Ibrahim's son. Ibrahim is a hardened criminal. They too, are separated.

Sonia listens to Mick's stereo through the wall. "Stereo full
Bri
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I WON THIS BOOK IN A GOODREADS GIVEAWAY**

When I first started to read this book, I felt really lost. The beginning didn't make sense to me and I almost thought to put it down. But I'm really glad I didn't! As you read, what made no sense in the beginning starts to make sense. It builds the story up so you have some sort of understanding of how things come together at the end. It seems like it's pointless info until you finish the book. Everything comes together in a really awesome way. I don't
Medeia Sharif
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nash and Sonia are boyfriend-girlfriend. They're both single parents, they get along well enough, and they're teachers. The dangerous thing between them is their association with one of Melbourne's drug lords. Nash was his good friend, while Sonia is his ex-wife. Sonia remembers all the things she did for her ex, but she tries to squash those memories to focus on the present.

Their children are attracted to each other. Nash's daughter Mia and Sonia's son Mick become an item. Mia gets hooked on dr
Julie
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I was offered a free copy of this book directly from the author in return for an honest review. From the blurb, I wasn’t expecting a cosy mystery but the constant explicit language and characters wanting to slit throats hits the reader bang in your face. On the other hand, Jessica Bell has tried to do something different in telling the story through multiple points of view. At first I found this hard to get into as I was only just getting to know one character when it was onto the next chapter a ...more
JJ Marsh
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A drug dealer, an overweight teenager, a foul-mouthed delinquent, a plastic surgery addict and a woman who yearns for sharp objects – families don’t come much more dysfunctional than this.
A strong story, peopled with painfully real characters, and so visual it reads like a film script.
With the atmosphere of Melbourne sunshine and the tension of a heist, this book grabbed me from the start and I scoffed it in one sitting. The tale is spun in various voices, each distinctively damaged in its own
Rebecca Hall
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If one were to use one word to summarise Bell's latest novel, it would be 'shocking.' But not in a negative way.
Her ability to show us the characters, situations and plot knows no bounds and is so cleverly written, one can see this being taken up for a movie - I kid you not. This would translate very well onto the big screen.
This is a novel that has you turning the pages, yearning for more - yearning to understand the mindset of the characters...such is the clever prose Bell uses.
Despite their d
Samantha Verant
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Jessica Bell has done the impossible and has told a story with five different POVs, all with very unique voices, to create an exciting an engaging read. Admittedly, it took some time (around 75 pages) for me to get used to the format and to emotionally invest in these (severely) flawed characters, but once I wrapped my head around everything...I was blown away. And now I understand what Jessica wanted to (and did) accomplish. She brings us into the world of each of her characters and then.. ...more
Cherie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The shiny blade of the knife is about to fall in Jessica Bell's White Lady. Told from several point of views, the story starts out as a snowball rolling down a mountain and becomes an avalanche of lies and betrayal. The characters are real and raw. Their flaws pull us in, make the characters relatable, and make us feel a tiny bit better about ourselves. The tension builds brilliantly until I felt like I was gasping for air. And that ending--wow! Bell's writing style is sometimes poetic, sometime ...more
Sue Ann
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unique and engrossing, I couldn't put White Lady down. I found reading all the characters different points of view to be fascinating. I couldn't put it down until the very end. And what an ending. I love Jessica Bell' s writing . Great Book.
Dieter Moitzi
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, I was a bit dazzled at first by the frequently changing voices. True enough, each new chapter brings up a new point of view - five all in all -, a technique that could end up in a huge mess. But not here. That's thanks to Jessica Bell, who shows an amazing strength and authenticity when creating her characters. Yes, some might think they're more than a bit weird, even flawed, but that makes what they have to say sound even truer. And yes, despite their flaws, th ...more
Sherry Fundin
White Lady by Jessica Bell is a psychological thriller that starts out slow. It seems as if the people are your normal, run of the mill people, just trying to get through life but, WHOA! I sure did not see that happening! The ending caught me off guard and left me speechless.

We start out with all the issues teenagers have – bullying , weight gain, friends, desertion by a parent……

The more I read, the tension rises. These people are seriously fucked up.

Mia – I used to be hot, now I’m not. She used
Hart Johnson
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Holy Crap, What a Ride!

Jessica Bell's tagline about writing stories about families more F'd up than yours doesn't go amiss and this isn't for the faint of heart, but she does a fantastic job of giving real heart and motive to some really messed up people. Mia, age seventeen is stuffing herself with food to fill the void left when her shallow mother left she and her dad for the rich plastic surgeon. Her dad, Nash is a hell of a nice guy, but clueless about raising a teenaged daughter with issues.
Hooked On Books
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
White Lady starts off slowly, letting us get to know the main characters. Mia & her father Nash, then Sonia & her son Mick. Nash & Sonia are teachers & are an item.
In the background there is the story of Sonia’s ex-husband who is a dangerous drug lord, he was also Nash’s best friend.
Sonia is desperately trying to be a “normal” mum to Mick & try to forget all the bad stuff she had to do for her husband. Nash is just trying to be a good father for Mia, after his wife left him.
M
Becky Stephens
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Bell delivered a unique story told from multiple points of view. What I found so interesting was that each point of view was truly unique to the character and I got a real sense of who that character was deep down.

I admit that I was nearly a quarter way through the book before I began to fell attached to the characters and wrap my head around the slang. It's not that it was slow, but that it took me a while to feel like I was truly getting to know the characters, and realizing how each of their
Kate Millin
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A very strange book written from the viewpoint of a number of characters who have all been affected by the criminal Ibrahim. His best friend who has a daughter and an ex wife married to a plastic surgeon, his son and his own ex wife. It takes time to work out who is who, and there are a few red herrings and plot twists with people turning out differently to how they first appear. I don't like the amount of swearing - although it is in character. I found it really hard to get into the story in th ...more
Carol Cooper
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a ripper of a story. In addition to drugs, there’s also violence, sex, and even rock and roll. If bad language offends you or you’re after a cosy mystery, steer well clear. This is an edgy tale.
Even though I didn’t warm to the characters, I was hooked on the roller-coaster events in their lives, and I couldn’t leave the book alone till the end.
My only small quibble is that I would liked more of a sense of place. It was meant to be Melbourne, but could have been Birmingham or almost anywhere
Kathryn Mckendry
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
White Lady is a thrilling read full of danger, drugs, and deceit. Jessica Bell does a great job writing from five different characters' POV and weaving together an intricate plot that leaves the reader stunned by the end.

I have to say though that I'm not a reader of thrillers as they are too creepy for me, (This was actually the first one I'd ever read!), and that's why I gave it only 3 stars. If you like psychological thrillers, you will love it!
Jamie Buehler
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
White lady was a captivating, suspenseful, unpredictable read. Brilliantly written, each chapter cleverly entwining the lives of each character but just when you think you know what's coming you couldn't be more wrong! This is certainly one of those can't put it down, need more, type novels that cannot be missed. I can't wait to see whats next from Jessica Bell.
Deborah Peck
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book from page one. very easy read. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because I wanted more and was left with questions about the ending but that is good because it makes you think about the book and hope maybe part 2.
A.B.
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
The plot of this book is why it gets three stars. Otherwise it probably would have sunk. The characters are difficult to swallow. The book starts with the melancholy self-dissection of a teenager and all her problems. It doesn’t get better.
Kimberly
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
slow moving for me. didn't care for the bits and pieces of info dropped here and there.

saving grace was the twist at the VERY end.
April
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book a lot I enjoyed the plot, writting and characters. I would really recommened to friends.
Anna-marie
Review on Ltmk Onbooks as part of Blog Tour
Dawn
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Proper review to come!
Sydney Michelle
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is so much good and crazy stuff in this book. I loved it. It reminded me of JK Rowling's Casual Vacancy in some ways. Sick, twisted and sad and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Melissa
Oct 19, 2014
Samantha Warren
Oct 01, 2014
  • Soul Cutter
  • Through the Fish Bones (The Fish Bone Series, #1)
  • That Dating Thing
  • The Blemished Series: Complete Boxed Set
  • The Chair
  • If Pigs Could Fly (West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency #1)
  • The Electrician's Code: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery
  • Losing Mom: A Family's Journey of Transition, Hope & Perseverance
  • Embracing Her Wolf (Her Wolf #1)
  • The Fourth Wall
  • West of Paradise
  • Emperor of the Eight Islands (Tale of Shikanoko, #1-2)
  • The Judas Church: An Obsession With Sex
  • Heart of Annihilation
  • First-time Parent
  • Flashback (Saskia Brandt, #2)
  • EFT and Tapping for Beginners: The Essential Eft Manual to Start Relieving Stress, Losing Weight, and Healing
  • Roxanne in La La Land
If Jessica Bell could choose only one creative mentor, she'd give the role to Euterpe, the Greek muse of music and lyrics. This is not only because she currently resides in Athens, Greece, but because of her life as a 30-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, award-winning poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, whose literary inspiration often stems from songs she's written.

Being