Start by marking “No Matter What” as Want to Read:
No Matter What

No Matter What (Emma Dodd's Love You Books)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  456 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A mama elephant knows her baby and all of his moods. ?Sometimes you?re happy. Sometimes you?re sad. Sometimes you?re good. Sometimes you?re bad.? But no matter what, one special little elephant will always know his mother?s love. The love shines on the foil-splashed, padded cover and all the way through this color-saturated book.

Published March 27th 2008 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Matter What, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Matter What

Andrew
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked: the hug I get at the end.
she liked: acting out all the feelings in the book.
Tasia
This is adorable, but is it wrong to say that my favorite part was the shininess of the illustrations? The silver is just so beautifully incorporated that even I was ooh-ing over the prettiness.
Bianca Orellana
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
Sweet, as always!
Mommooshka
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice sentiment about unconditional love. Lovely simple illustrations. The love between the mother elephant and it's child are apparent in the subtle drawings.

I do, however, have a problem with labeling the child with their behaviors. Child psychologists teach that you should be careful to tell a child that their behavior is bad, they are not bad. Children learn to believe what they're told by those they love and trust, and can grow to believe that they are a bad child. Unfortunately, this simpl
Michele
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
I am a graphic designer and the paper and inks used for this book are out of this world. Foil stamping. Pantones. Thick, glossy paper that doesn't leave fingerprints. This book is a work of art. And the story is just as good--a short, sweet book, perfect for bedtime with little ones. Recommend.
Loonie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty artwork of silver rain
Leo and Ian
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hug-kiss
apparently this is a new edition of the same book entitled "no matter what". would make a great gift book.
Madison
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The title we have at the library is "Always" but I'm pretty sure it's the same text.

Great one on one story for bedtime.
Tracy Morton
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, simple text.
Kelly
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series by Emma Dodd is wonderfully written in such a way that it reaches the youngest of readers, delivering a deep message.

In this book, mama elephant is telling her baby that she will always love him, no matter if he is naughty or good, clean or dirty, happy or sad.
Meredith
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these shiny pages.
Rachel
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We love this book. The illustrations are lovely and shimmery. The silver on the ‘clean’ page is my favorite. Beautiful book I’ve read hundreds of times to my little one!
Ritz ☾
A gorgeous little book.
Vivian
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We simply had to use this simple book about opposites told from baby elephant's point of view because a) it works very well as a read-aloud to young children, b) the last page is a double-page spread of a star filled night sky and c) is gently reassuring that "no matter WHAT you say or do, it makes no difference... I love you!"

The starry night tied into our "Arabian Nights" Middle Eastern theme and served to introduce one of our craft activities. We found a simple idea that uses black or dark bl
Ponytaorponyboy
The context of how I was able to read this book is the most important reason why this book has such a high rating.

The cheesy message on its own is not something I haven't seen before, it's the parent's message to their child written as a preface of a Christmas gift given by "Santa" that really got me. Most of my coworkers got tear-eyed. I was just so touched.

This goes into #Parentingdoneright moment
Alice
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off this book's illustrations are exceptional! There is some metallic foil in some of the pages that just make the story pop.

It is also a great story in the fact that is covers "Some times your good, sometimes your bad ....but I will always love you"

I think I want to look at the pictures again ;-)
Michelle
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2015
This is an adorable children's book, simply written, with interesting illustrations. I really enjoyed the simplicity of it. The odd thing about it is that when I found and read it, it is actually under a different title, called "Always." This book could really be for any age, as the message of the story is unconditional love.
Christine
I loved this book! It shows opposites as told by a mother elephant to her baby, and it really emphasizes that there's nothing a child can do to make their parent stop loving them. I think the moms at storytime enjoyed this more than their toddlers, but I think toddlers would really like it one on one.
Kristi
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love Emma Dodd's books!! Although the title we have of this one is called "Always" which goes nice with the other title we own by Dodd titled "Forever" both are wonderful reads, that as a mother definitely tugged on my heart strings, plus these books are just adorable! One of my go to buys for new mommies!
Naomi Blackburn
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute. It is another one of the parent love book. I still prefer Nancy Tillman's Wherever You Are My Love Will Find Youif you are looking for this type of book. For me, I had more of an emotional reaction to that one. This one was just cute and got the message across.
Margaret
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clear
Little ones are sometimes, happy, sad, scared, or bad … but momma always loves them. This little elephant plays in the mud, hides from a mouse, and chases the birds. Some of the images include bits of silver on the pages making the simple drawings sparkle. Simple text and illustrations make this a delightful read for parent and child.
Carol
A simple, short book about a parent's unconditional love for their child - whether they are kind or mean, dirty or clean. I've been asked to reread it several times so I know it's a winner with our 24 month old.
Jenna
I am definitely a fan of Emma Dodd now. They're always a hit with the parents and the shiny, bright illustrations are attractive to the babies. It's fun to finish a book with a great round of "AWWWWWW."
Ariel Cummins
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute little lesson about opposites and feelings.

Bold lines and bright colors show the sweet scenes of a baby elephant practicing all his moods.

Excellent for a baby story time, because it's got only a sentence of text on each page, and it's full of great words to know for tiny folks!
Bmack
I love this book! The illustrations are adorable and the text simple. She uses a silver metallic ink that really makes the illustrations pop. It talks about the baby elephant sometimes being happy, sad and many other emotions! Very adorable.
Gail
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
There are a bunch of books that follow this rather boring formula; my baby does this and that but no matter what i will love her. This one explores opposites. The pictures aren't great and my two year old was not interested. Maybe for a younger child.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the edition with the silver shiny bits (the moon, the water, the rain, the stars). The other version is good (the text and illustrations are great) but the shiny additions just make the kids "oooh" and "aaah" a bit more.
Rhonda K
I can't say enough good things about Emma Dodd's Love You series. The stories are sweet and endearing and the illustrations are absolutely lovely. These all make for great bedtime reading since they are not too long, and always lead perfectly right into nighttime hugs and kisses.
Nicki
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
"No Matter What" is the same book as "Always" with about six different words, and minus the shiny paper.
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Kiki's Blankie
  • The Wonderful Book
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her
More about Emma Dodd...

Emma Dodd's Love You Books (10 books)
  • Forever