Start by marking “Wystan (The Heckmasters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wystan (The Heckmasters, #1)

Wystan (The Heckmasters #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Her search for safety lands her in a totally new kind of danger.

The Heckmasters, Book 1

Certain that an ad for a job in a small New Mexico Territory town is the answer to her prayers, Nebraska schoolteacher Rhia Duke packs her sister into a rickety wagon and heads west.

Except when they reach the near-deserted town, she learns the truth. There is no job, no future, and no we
Published October 21st 2014 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wystan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wystan

Sophia
Demons in the Old Wild West? Three half-demon brothers that are guardian to a town populated by demons and protecting the human world from a gateway to hell? Brave, stubborn human woman and her friends seeking refuge? Well, I do declare! I love it when a story is a blend of genres particularly a historical paranormal and this one is a western paranormal at that. Too cool! It presented a good read with its unique world, fascinating dynamics between the characters, gritty element and action. It ha ...more
Lisa Medley
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
Oh, Dear Sweet & Fluffy Lord, the Heckmasters are my new favorite book boyfriends. Don’t even MAKE me choose just one.

Three half-demon brothers trying to save the dying town of Berner and protect the world from whatever comes out of a hellmouth in the New Mexico Territory? Yes, please.

Wystan, the eldest of the three brothers, carries the burdens of his demon father as his legacy. The last thing he needs is another complication. Enter a young down-on-her-luck school teacher and her little si
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Historical meets paranormal in this delightfully unique western romance!

Read full review in the 2015 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

I enjoyed the premise, but the romance felt forced, and I didn't think there was much chemistry between Rhia and Wystan. Tell was my favorite of the demon brothers, so I do want to read his book.
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Checkout my revised review on Flame Resistant Undies Romance Reviews at http://www.flameresistantundiesromanc... ,
Lynn Worton
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in The Heckmasters series. I absolutely loved it!

First off, I absolutely love the cover! It fits the story perfectly.

Rhia Duke is a wonderful character. I liked her very much. She is a schoolteacher by trade. She is a very determined woman, with a stubborn streak a mile wide. Desperate to leave her past behind, she sets off, along with her young sister and a companion they pick up en-route, to answer an advertisement in the newspaper for a job in New Mexico. But things are
Maghon Thomas
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three demon half brothers are guardians to a wild west town, a community of demons, and protecting the humans from a gateway to hell. This was such an interesting story. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel but it sure was fun. The world building is unique, the writing was well done, had some fun characters, and action to boot. Rhia, her sister Sylvie, and her friend Beryl, are arriving at their destination when they find a nearly dead town, mostly looking like it's seen better days, where she ...more
Cara Bristol
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wystan hooked me from the start when Rhia rolls into town with her younger sister and a sick friend to report for the teaching job that was advertised, only to discover the town is nearly deserted and her services are not wanted. Though she is ordered to leave by sheriff Wystan Heckmaster, her financial circumstances don’t allow it, so she stays and finds out the hard way that the town has some chilling secrets.

A smooth blend of historical and paranormal, Wystan kept me turning the page (well,
V Duwane Ledbetter
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun read with lots of excitement. Wonderfully written. I cannot wait for the next one from Ms. Merritt. I am not a big fan of the romance genre, however this book fits with what I do enjoy - Paranormal - if you love paranormal stories this is a book for a must read on your list! Thanks Ms. Allison Merritt. See you all again, soon I hope!
V. Duwane Ledbetter.

WystanAllison Merritt
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5/5.0

Historical meets paranormal in this delightfully unique western romance!

Read full review in the 2015 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Salisa
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the book. But i gotta say i am not a fan of the cover page.
Teresa
Holly Holland
Dec 04, 2014
Ginny
Dec 08, 2014
A love of reading inspired Allison Merritt to pursue her dream of becoming an author who writes historical, paranormal, contemporary, and fantasy romances, often combining the sub-genres. She lives in a small town in the Ozark Mountains with her husband and dogs. It's not unusual to find her lurking in graveyards, wandering historical sites, or listening to ghost stories.

Allison graduated from Col
More about Allison Merritt

The Heckmasters (3 books)
  • Eban (The Heckmasters, #2)
  • Tell (The Heckmasters, #3)