Start by marking “The Book of Days” as Want to Read:
The Book of Days

The Book of Days

Most people believe the best way to forget someone is to throw them down a well. Or lock them in a room with eight keys, or bury them at a crossroad in the thirteenth hour. But they’re wrong. The best way to forget someone is for them never to have existed in the first place.

Madame Marisol’s Unreality House was where you brought people to make that happen.”

When Tuesday wak
Kindle Edition, Kindle
Published September 1st 2014 by Pan Macmillan Australia

Start your review of The Book of Days
Edacheeky
I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK.
Here is my attempt at a fan art!!
My attempt at a fan art for this magnificent book!!
more images here

Basically, to sum things up, A 16 year old girl wakes up in a strange house from a 10-year sleep knowing the basic human actions like talking and walking except she has no idea who she is. She's told her new name is Tuesday and receives a letter which is apparently from her "Old self" telling her to forget her past and live a new life fresh and without regrets BUT tuesday is determined to find out who she is and with the help
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The Book of Days was a fun, charming and quirky adventure set in a wonderfully imaginative setting. From Madame Marisol’s Unreality House which is a place where people go to be forgotten, to the floating Fortune City which was very steampunk in nature, to the corrupt Beggars End, I really enjoyed these creative settings. It was a true adventure story reminiscent of classic childhood stories like Peter Pan and Enid Blyton book
Steph Sinclair
Ohh, I love this cover!

photo TheBookofDays_zps3419691d.png

Check out the cover reveal on the blog and enter to win a signed copy!
Rachael
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have so much love for this book, it is an entertaining and heart warming adventure quest through a rich fantastical landscape populated with fascinating characters. Tuesday wakes in the Unreality House with no memory of her past and a deep need to find out who she is. With the help of Quintalion (my favourite character), an irresistible and gorgeously attired rogue, she journeys to find The Book of Days and her true name. Allies and adversaries are found along the way. The fiesty, ass-kicking, ...more
Paperback Princess
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paperback Princess by: Publisher
Shelves: for-review, publisher
This review was originally posted at Paperback Princess.

Turning the last page of this book was truly astounding and left me breathless...my mind hasn't stopped reeling from how it all came together at the end. The Book of Days by Australian Author K.A. Barker is truly a treat to read. It is so engrossing, original and the concept and characters within the book cannot be compared to any other book I've read in the past, that is truly how original this book is!

The Book of Days by KA Barker begins
Emily Mead
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read reviews, see awesome GIFS and see my rambling thoughts at my blog, The Loony Teen Writer

I wanted to read this book for a few main reasons.

1) The cover

I mean, isn’t it just BEAUTIFUL.
2) The blurb

I don’t often read blurbs. But this one was awesome. It sounded very whimsical and different and something I would vastly enjoy.
3) That quote from John Marsden.

“Dazzlingly different.” I mean, of course I’m going to listen to John Marsden.

All this contributed to a DESPERATE need to read this book.

Aaa
Deborah Ideiosepius
A gently quirky, fantasy of the personal-quest variety, with charming settings, witty banter and a generally fun adventure.

We start in the unreality house, where souls caught between life and death wait and sometimes are awoken. Our main character awakes when someone comes to collect her, she awakes knowing nothing about herself and sets off on a quest to find herself, despite a note her previous self penned to prevent just that.

The book of days is a pleasant reading experience, its strengths ar
Anika Claire
Tuesday wakes up in the Unreality House with no memory of her past. She is given clothes and supplies to make her way in the world and told to forget about finding out about her previous life, but she's desperate to find out who she might have been before ending up in the keeping house. Her companion Quintalion is keeping quiet, on that at least. What dark secret was she trying to cover up, even from herself?

Argh, it's taken me so long to get to this review, and it's partially because I loved th
Melissa Riley
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book of Days by K. A. Barker was a delight to read. The story revolves around Tuesday, a 16 year old girl who wakes up in Madame Marisol's Unreality House with no memory of who she is or why she ended up in this place. With only a letter from past self as a clue, she embarks upon an adventure to discover her identity.

Firstly, the cover is beautiful. The whole production of the book is lovely, with the map which is staple for any good fantasy adventure, and a fantastic plug from John Marsden
Gareth
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The first 200 pages or so of this I loved. The last 150 or so seemed to get a bit clichéd. I think I was hoping for a bit more after a promising start.

There are quite a few logical and continuity errors, but I'm putting that down to this being an ARC - I'm sure they'll get fixed up in the final edition.
Trisha
Aug 17, 2014 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Let's just dnf this, and be done with it. ...more
Dark Matter
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was reviewed on Dark Matter Zine; for more reviews, interviews and articles, go to Dark Matter Zine. Alternatively, this link is just to Dark Matter Zine's reviews.

A review by Nalini Haynes

The Book of Days is steampunk set in a fantasy world where pro-industrialist forces combat magic. The war is in hiatus but that doesn't stop the industrial forces — daybreakers — from hunting down magically-inclined folk, torturing them and killing them.

Quintalion, a dark stranger with mismatched ey
Sara
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I give this book 3 1/2 stars. First, the good things. I loved the characters! I couldn't choose a favorite because they're all my favorites! They were fully fleshed out and each one had their own distinct personalities. Speaking of which, the villain wasn't one-dimensional either. He had a motive for everything he did, and it was a rather sad motive, too. The author definitely pulled on my heartstrings, not only for the heroic characters, but also for the villain.
Now for the reasons why I rated
Samkabam
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh, how I wanted to like this book - especially being a fellow Queenslander and rather close by!
I mean, I finished it.. but the fact it took me 4 weeks to make my way through it (a book of 336 pages) really, in my mind, proves the 2.8* rating being given here.

Whilst the cover, blurb and map pulled me in, the story didn't spur me along, leaving no real desire to become immersed in the story. In saying that, I enjoyed the idea of the fierce friendship created between the lead characters Tuesday,
thegreensofa
What a confusing book! Great cover though. I spent most of this being confused, imagining Johnny Depp, and wondering which words were real and which were made up, and not really knowing if the story really was going anywhere!!
Becky Tarr
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very well written. Loved the characters and explanation of the fantasy world.
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I can't remember where I discovered this book, but its immediately eye-catching cover art is something that reinforced my desire to read it. Another positive is that K.A Barker is Australian and I really need and want to find more Australian fiction (I keep finding myself reading the John Marsden's book's over and over again instead, who coincidentally has his opinions of the book on the front cover!).

One thing for sure is that "The Book of Days" is definitely "dazzlingly different" in its over
Ursula
Mar 10, 2017 added it
This was a great book full of unique scenery, humour and characters which left you in tears. A must read on so many levels and like nothing I've read before. ...more
Lisa Fleetwood
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews at www.illuminationsbylisafleetwood.word...

In June last year I attended 'Pitch Perfect' at the Australian Society of Authors with Pan Macmillan editor Claire Craig. It was one of the most helpful and immediately useful courses I've done in regards to confidently pitching and selling your book to publishers. Read about the course HERE. Claire talked about writing blurbs and first impressions and submissions, how to write a great synopsis, how to hook the reader and amongst man
Caity
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
~Sixteen-year-old Tuesday awakes from a long ‘sleep’ for the first time: she has no memory of her past or how she came to be in the Unreality House. All she knows is that her past-self wrote a letter to her future-self begging her not to discover the secrets of her past. So what does Tuesday do? Embark on a fantastical quest to discover who she is and why she told herself not to do the things she’s about to do...~

I’m not looking to be particularly delicate here; I think I should just speak my mi
TheCosyDragon
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

Tuesday is 16, but she doesn't remember any of her life so far. She's been forgotten for 10 years, and the person who comes to find her isn't all she expected. Not that she could expect much, since she can't remember anything of what she is.

Tuesday, in her own silly way, is endearing. It's fascinating to imagine what a person with no memories wou
Kristen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This was overall an okay read. The ending was a bit disappointing, but the story was clever and for the most part I liked the characters.

This book started out really strong. I thought the premise was interesting and unique - definitely something I have not seen before. I was definitely drawn in to Tuesday's story, and very interested to see what she did next once she had been woken.

Unfortunately, from that point on, I found Tuesday to be wishy-washy, and very much in the vein of the heroine tied
Belle
You can find this, and other reviews, on my blog.

Oh how I enjoyed this book. Everything about it was fresh and fun, from the way magic worked, through to the plot itself. I was hooked from the opening paragraph:

The Book of D
Jen
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun and adventurous this book was everything I expected and more. The plot is very original and the writing threw the reader into a world that had its own style and language which you came to understand throughout the story (rather than being given all of the information you need to know at once like some other books I have led, leaving you to grasp at everything all at once). The characters are well-written and full of layers that do not necessarily show themselves at first. I thought this was ...more
Katy Shaw
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The Book of Days was amazing. I do not know where to begin with the amazingly original fantasy book. From the character depth, to the multi-faceted universe which they live in, its hard to put down when you become so immersed.

The Unreality house was one of my favourite settings, the air of magic surrounding it, where anything could be possible, and people could sleep for years upon years was curious, intriguing and engaging. From the moment the place was described I knew I wanted an Unreality h
Emily Craven
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This book was quite entertaining, the settings were brilliantly depicted and the characters were a bit of fun. It was definitely a highly immersive fantasy world. I did find though that the first third of the book seemed to be highly polished and focused in its plot and characterisation, but the rest of the book seemed to wander a bit. I'm not really a fan of wanderings off into cute little scenes if they have no point to the overall plot. And though I liked many of the weird and wonderful chara ...more
Romi (likes books)
(Review copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia!)

The Book of Days was a joyous read, full of all the things (and some more) I want in a book- airships, delightfully witty characters who are unique, diverse and hilarious, one liners galore, memorability, creativity and an incredibly interesting, unique story. Tuesday was fantastic and I just loved all the places she went to, all the people she interacted with (good or bad or truly hard to decide about), and I just wish I hadn't finished Heir of
Jemilla
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, i-own
Kathy
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The quote in the cover over sold this book, making me disappointed at every turn. I'm not sure if the characters were as one dimensional as I thought it the story frustratingly simple, or if it's just that I was expecting more. Not a bad story, but it really feels like a debut, and could have done with a more critical edit. There are good ideas here and you feel like the characters have more meat, we just don't get to experience it. ...more
Melanie
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hopefully I'll get around to reviewing this properly one day, but let me just say that this book is fantastic! I loved all of the characters (especially Jack and Quintalion, oh my gosh!) and the story was really intriguing and compelling - I kind of want to live in the world of the story. This book is easily one of my favourites that I've read, hats off to the author. ...more

• Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • The Naturalist's Daughter
  • You Were Made For Me
  • Missing
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • Now You See Them (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #5)
  • Fuckness
  • The Haunted Vagina
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • The Grammarians
  • Hamnet
  • Halloween with Snowman Paul
  • The Roll-Away Pumpkin
  • The Tell
  • A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
  • Die Dog or Eat the Hatchet
  • Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)
  • Header
K. A. Barker is a twenty-something writer from Brisbane, Australia. She writes books about imaginary places and impossible deeds. Her first Young Adult novel, The Book of Days, is due out in September from Pan Macmillan Australia. She is fond of dirigibles, good books, shower singing, cheesy adventure movies, and time periods not her own.

If you love any of the above, feel free to tell her about it