Start by marking “Solitaire” as Want to Read:
Solitaire

Solitaire

(Solitaire #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  17,794 ratings  ·  3,644 reviews
In case you're wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but th
Hardcover, US, 368 pages
Published March 30th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Solitaire, please sign up.
Theo Hendrie She released a novella about them I believe but she also writes and draws the Heartstopper web comic on Tumblr which is about the two of them!

·  17,794 ratings  ·  3,644 reviews

Start your review of Solitaire
Alice Oseman
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi! I highly recommend you check out the content warnings before reading this book: aliceoseman.com/content-warnings

As of August 2020, I am currently in the process of making editorial changes to SOLITAIRE.

***
This is my first published book! I wrote it in 2012 when I was seventeen. It features:
- a protagonist battling undiagnosed depression with self-deprecating jokes and learning to find joy in the world
- an eccentric speed skater who likes solving mysteries but doesn't have any friends
- two ve
Kiki
This book was pretty damn bad, but my review for it was also hot rambling garbage. Let me just be succinct: if you're looking to read the Oseman backlog, don't bother with this one. It's not worth it. ...more
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, underrated, owned

4.5/5 stars

I first heard about Solitaire on Tumblr. I've been following Alice Oseman ever since and I desperately wanted to read her novel. So when I finally, finally! found it at the library I think I maybe made some loud joyful sound and hugged it...yeah.

I loved Solitaire from the beginning. I couldn't wait to read about all the
daph pink ♡
Well in case you forgot this was her debut novel how can you expect her one the biggest fan ( me) to dislike it ???❤️✨
Romie
Just because someone smiles doesn’t mean that they’re happy.

This isn’t a book about happy people. I don’t even think this book was made for happy people, they would dislike it, say everything inside this book is utter bullshit. But it isn’t. It’s the absolute truth.

This book broke me, I think I’m reading it at the exact right moment in my life. 16-year-old me wouldn’t have liked it all that much, she would have sympathised with the characters, but she wouldn’t have understood them like 21-year-o
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I really wanted to write a very detailed, slightly objective review of this but honestly I'm realizing I just can't. I thought this book was super problematic so I'm just gonna word vomit.
FIRST OF ALL big ass trigger warnings for suicide/suicidal thoughts, self-harm and eating disorders. Pretty sure there's more so please be very aware and feel free to ask me if you want to know about any specific ones!

I know the main character is relatable for many and I hope that any of you who read this will
lily ☁️
You can find my review here on my blog!

me: [hands out one- and two-star ratings to books everyone loves]
also me: [finally likes a book … its top reviews are mostly one and two star ratings]

“My name is Victoria Spring. I think you should know that I make up a lot of stuff in my head and then get sad about it. I like to sleep and I like to blog. I am going to die someday.” (I am Victoria, Victoria is me.)

🌈 buddy read with a golden soul

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
Lol no.

This book has such inflated notions of itself but the execution is abysmal.

The MC Tori is supposed to be this sad and chronically depressed person that as a reader we are supposed to empathise with... But instead she's just a judgmental jerk! Honestly there's a difference between writing legitimate anxiety and depression versus general teenage malaise at life...
And sadly this book got both things wrong. *smh Solitaire*
Look I get what the aims were, but Oseman did not craft her MC well
✨    jami   ✨
I think this is one of those books you either love or hate the reviews seem very polarising - I'm not sure exactly where I sit yet. I know I did enjoy it overall, mostly because of the writing style. I love Alice Oseman's writing, it flows so well you just get so caught up in it and I think she writes teenagers incredibly well.

I didn't love this anywhere near as close as I loved Radio Silence, but also this is Alice's debut, and I think it's nice to see how much she's grown and improved.

I know
tappkalina
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Wow, what a mess.

I liked Tori and her friendship with Michael, but what was this book about?
Friendship? Love? Family? Bullying? Depression? Or was it a thriller?
I honestly don't know.
I'm confused af.
Lucy Tonks
"All I know is that I’m here. And I’m alive. And I’m not alone."

This has just become one of my favourite books. I do think that I liked Radio Silence a little bit better, but man this is right next to it. I just loved this book so much. I was a little bit hesitant going into this book since I've seen a lot of people saying that this book is not as good as Alice Oseman's other works but I personally really loved it. I know it's not a perfect book by any means, but it simply worked for me.

TW:
Emily May
Aug 31, 2014 marked it as dnf
I found the writing awkward and stilted. Couldn't finish. ...more
sarah
"There comes a point, though, when you can't keep looking after other people anymore. You have to start looking after yourself."

Solitaire is Alice Oseman's debut novel, and as such the place I decided to begin with her full length works. (I have already read some of her Heartstopper webcomic, but none of her books) I had heard pretty mediocre things about this one compared to some of her others, so decided it would be a good place to start, as to gently increase my expectations and not be too di
Sara
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after i read Radio Silence but i wish I'd read it first.
The two books are set in the same world just a couple years apart and there are a lot of nods to this in Radio Silence.
That being said i think i did enjoy Solitaire more, the character was more relatable to me and i found myself far more interested in the major plot points of this story.
Once again Alice's writing is great and I think this is a great story for a younger generation.
Ashley
Aug 28, 2014 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

I stopped reading this book at 27%.

Let's talk about Solitaire

In the book, Solitaire is some kind of blog/prankster group. We learn pretty quickly that their blog URL is http://solitaire.co.uk . My first thought (which continued to bug me throughout the book) was: "There's no way this domain name would be available." I'm pretty sure every non-obscure dictionary word is taken at this point (at least with the original and most common TLDs, like .com, .net,
April (Aprilius Maximus)
TW: self-harm, suicidal thoughts, eating disorder triggers.

I had a lot of problems with this book, but since I am currently on holidays, I will go into more depth at a later date!
Zitong Ren
From what I know, this is Alice Oseman’s Debut novel, and compared to her other books that I have read of hers, which are Radio Silence and I Was Born For This, this book does not live up to the quality of those two books. I was excited to start this one since I loved those two books and comparing these two to this book is that I can certainly say that she has improved greatly as a writer.

Now, I’m not one that reads many contemporary novels, and as such, I may be sprouting absolute rubbish in my
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
1.5 STARS
To go into a book with no expectations and then come out disappointed is an impressive feat. But not a good one.
The writing may have been relateable but the protagonist was not. By the end of the book I honest to god couldn't stand her and it made what could have been an interesting book with powerful messages, painful to read.
Alexandra ☁
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I read this in 3 days. I don't do that. It's a thing that doesn't happen.

Alice Oseman, we stan.
Nina
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Book #5 for The Reading Rush: Read someone's debut novel.

I really, really enjoyed this one! It was such a quick and well-written read and I'm so glad I put it on my tbr for the readathon!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Yashaswini Malik
I can't believe that Alice Oseman wrote this at 17.
RTC
* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

This rings true and maybe that’s why I couldn’t fully enjoy myself. I was a moody teen once. I know what it’s like to hate the world, to disengage, to not want to be like the popular people but resent them at the same time.

Regardless, Tori doesn’t conform. She doesn’t want to necessarily try hard either, but when she meets another outcast Michael, things slowly start to change. Somewhat… wellllll…. not really.

YA is a tough one to win me over. It toed the line of being of course, too youn
Swaye
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2018
If I could give this book minus stars I would.

There's no plot, just a list of references with a whole lot of diet lemonade to fill in the spaces between.

DNF'd at 51% because
Eva B.
If you want to know the truth, the Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books of all time, and so I was a bit suspicious of the blurb of this one. Publishers always wanna compare books about teenage sadness and mental health to Catcher, and I always sort of raise my eyebrows at that. See, they always wanna reel in readers by comparing contemporaries to famous books, and then you read the book and it's pretty goddamn phony. But Solitaire?

Solitaire is not a perfect book. I mean, no book is a
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Thank you Andye from http://www.readingteen.net/ for your Review my Books program!

I quite honestly really really really enjoyed this book. Honestly. Solitaire was a major win.

Get it? XD

When the synopsis says it is "unflinchingly honest", it speaks the truth. Alice Oseman wrote a brilliant contemporary. Though I wouldn't expect anything else from a fellow 90s child. ;)
description

This book is hard to explain. I went into it knowing merely what it has printed on the cover, "This is the story of...Tori. Michae
Lauren ✨ (TheBookishTwins)

Solitaire is a refreshing and brutally honest realistic fiction written by a teenager (Alice Oseman is only nineteen) for teenagers so it's totally and utterly relatable.

You know what I loved the most about Solitaire? Tori. Whilst she's cynical, sarcastic and rather mentally troubled, she's real and it's great to read and see her develop and I loved every second of it.
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
I definitely have a lot of different things to say about this book... but I'm just not sure how to put it into words.

I understand that the main character is supposed to dealing with bad mental health, but a lot of her comments just crossed the line and we’re never addressed, which made it just uncomfortable to read and possibly triggering. I know Alice Oseman has gotten better about handling these subjects, though. Her other books are just better.
Meags
4 Stars

Solitaire is a unique, thought-provoking, and immersive YA story – one that captures the genuine highs and lows of the high school experience and takes a deeper look at the affects that mental health problems (both acknowledged and unacknowledged) can have on teenagers, including issues relating to depression, anxiety and eating disorders.

Now, that all sounds a bit on the heavy side, but I promise it’s not all doom and gloom. In fact, even with the themes surrounding mental health, which
shopping for a moon
Content/trigger warning for suicide, depression and disordered eating.

Overall this book definitely fell flat for me!

Firstly, why does the tagline say "This is not a love story" when in fact it's very much one? Nothing's wrong with that, but this is kind of misleading.

So, let's start with what bothered me about the book. Whilst I get that Tori, our protagonist, can be very relateable to lots of people out there, I do think that it was quite problematic that she didn't seek out any help to deal wi

• Hani and Ishu's Guide to Fake Dating
  • One Last Stop
  • Felix Ever After
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (I Wish You All the Best #1.5)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • I Wish You All the Best (I Wish You All the Best, #1)
  • Perfect on Paper
  • Bloom
  • The Henna Wars
  • Ace of Spades
  • Cemetery Boys
  • Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, #3)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Here the Whole Time
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
See top shelves…
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alice’s first novel SOLITAIRE was published when she was

Articles featuring this book

Author and illustrator Alice Oseman is known to her long-time fans for her young adult novels about—as she calls them—"teenage disasters,"...
“But books–they’re different. When you watch a film, you’re sort of an outsider looking in. With a book–you’re right there. You are inside. You are the main character.” 243 likes
“As far as I'm concerned, I came out of the womb spouting cynicism and wishing for rain.” 97 likes