Start by marking “Cei doi domni din Bruxelles” as Want to Read:
Cei doi domni din Bruxelles

Cei doi domni din Bruxelles

Modesta croitoreasă Geneviève nu bănuieşte că viaţa ei banală în cartierul popular Marolles din Bruxelles este urmărită cu sufletul la gură de un cuplu de binefăcători misterioşi care trăiesc astfel prin procură experienţele ce le sunt refuzate. Într-un orăşel din Hainaut, taciturnul doctor Heymann este mai ataşat de câinele lui ciobănesc decât de semenii săi. Fie că se af ...more
Published July 2014 by Humanitas Fiction (first published October 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cei doi domni din Bruxelles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cei doi domni din Bruxelles

Maestrul şi Margareta by Mikhail BulgakovParfumul by Patrick SüskindÎmpăratul muștelor by William GoldingMinciuni pe canapea by Irvin D. YalomPlânsul lui Nietzsche by Irvin D. Yalom
Raftul Denisei
270 books — 27 voters
Toate acele locuri minunate by Jennifer NivenPrintre tonuri cenușii by Ruta SepetysÎn căutarea unui destin by Jojo MoyesMinunea by R.J. PalacioColecţionarul by John Fowles
Recomand!
61 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Cei doi domni din Bruxelles
Emily Crowe
This man is without a doubt the finest short story writer of our time.
Stef
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eh, read-in-2016
It's been a long time since I've read any of Schmitt's work, which back then I read in the German translation. But I do remember liking a lot of his books, especially Odette Toulemonde, so I had high hopes for this one.

Either my tastes have changed or this book is actually bad; either way I could not find a way into it.
From a book called "Invisible Love" I had expected subtlety. The stories in this collection are about as subtle as a slap in the face, which made me wonder if the author expected
Betsy
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable book. Each story is poignant and beautifully written, all about the vagaries of love, seen and unseen.
Pavan Amara
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this by chance when it was displayed in a local book shop. And I'm so glad I did! I think I have found a new favourite author. These are not romantic 'love' stories, as in Hollywood fairytales. They are love stories from reality which show the unexpected angles love can emerge from and morph into due to time and circumstance. It all runs pretty deep! But I love that about this collection.

These stories are about grief when you lose someone you love, responsibility in love, responsi
Kolumbina
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my second book of short stories by Eric-Emmanuel Scmitt. The first one, "The Most Beautiful Book in the World", I bought because of the title and I never regretted. Not being a short story person I absolutely loved them, all of them, each of them.
I also loved "Invisible Love', loved every single story, hard to make my mind which one is my favourite one. Perhaps "The dog" but then also "The ghost child"...
E. E. Scmitt's stories are very unique stories, very unusual and very European. I
Richard Cytowic
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delight when a writer hits his target as deftly and with such beauty as Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt does in Invisible Love.

His quarry lies in the book’s title. The love he illuminates elegantly and with the lightest touch is “invisible” only because Schmitt approaches his subject obliquely.

To illustrate one thing while ostensibly talking about another is a high gift for any writer. No wonder that Schmitt is one of Europe’s most popular authors, awarded the French Academy’s Grand Prix du Théâtre
Susan Zinner
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Love this French writer; the cover blurb compares his short stories to those of Guy de Maupassant. The five longish short stories (about 200 pages total for the book) are uniformly excellent, but the second one, involving how a Nazi camp survivor allows a dog to bring him back to life and forgive those around him, contains this remarkable line: "If men are naïve enough to believe in God, dogs are naïve enough to believe in men." I've bought--and loved--all of his books; an overlooked French wri ...more
Ilovesweets
The short stories are so easy to read and yet so deep. I loved each and every one of them and found myself surprised at the fact that after each one I felt the need to put the book down for a few minutes to sit and think. You know you have a good book in hand when you get this feeling.

Here's to love, in all its twisted, beautiful, tragic, splendid glory!
Alina
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Five touching stories
Lien
This book left me speechless for its intensity and humanity.
Julie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful stories. A bit haunting. A lot of sad. But clever and connected and compelling.
Shubhendu Trivedi
The oft repeated description of Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt being like-Maupassant-but-gentler, certainly has some grounding. In some stories this descriptor appears quite in sharp relief, while in others it seems apparitional, and in still others it seems not true at all. Which is to say that he is sometimes brilliant, sometimes almost brilliant, but more often he can get as cliched as they get. The same holds for this collection.

Granted that short stories are really difficult to make an impression w
Maria Carmo
Marvellous book by an Author that I love more and more. Five exceptional short stories all bringing with them questions about love, life, human dignity and ethics. I loved it!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 1st. May 2014.
Useresu
As a whole I have mixed feelings, some stories have his depth and take you on emotional paradox rollercoaster, but some feel shallow, rushed and play with simple surprise unlike the previous books of him I read.
Elizabeth La Lettrice
I love this author. However, I feel the need to say that this isn't my favorite of his collections. But still amazing. As he always is.
Dave
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent collection by the author. Five excellent short stories- the highlights being Two Gentlemen from Brussels and Dogs.
Marzena
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Schmitt's writing's getting downhill.
Anne
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what an amazingly talented writer...
Liresansfrontiere
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Liresansfrontiere by: Club lecture
Shelves: 2015
Good little stories which good ideas and a very good writing. Just very nice to read !
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such lovely writing, resulting in some very lovely and poignant stories, although the first two are the standouts
Michelle
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, short-stories
Not as powerful for me as Most Beautiful Book in the World, but still great.
Cristina
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the other stories.
Joe Canas
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars
Leonie Cassidy
Absolutely loved the first story in the book. The others not so much.
Andreea Mînzăraru
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author of one of the most beautifully written books, Éric Schmitt touches my soul once again with his vivid, brutally honest stories of life, death and everything in-between.
MLV
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not usually a fan of short story collections or novellas but these stories are beautifully written page turners with human insight that makes emotions seem like solid mass.
Larisa Dană
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When i want to take a break from all the books I NEED to read, i immerse myself in one of E.E Schmitt books.
His stories are short, but intense and full of passion, of life.
Maria Mcginley
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in French first in French since Mme Bovary which I could not put down.
Wonderful.
Catalin Ivanov
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Four stars only for the Gentelman and the Dog story which is emotional and beautifull.

• Brisbane
  • Cartea Reghinei
  • Ei mă consideră făcător de minuni: viața lui Arsenie Boca
  • Зулейха открывает глаза
  • De som dro og de som ble igjen
  • Despre frumusețea uitată a vieții
  • Clair de Femme
  • El mejor lugar del mundo es aquí mismo
  • Felii de lămâie
  • Фелікс Австрія
  • Tatăl celuilalt copil
  • J'ai toujours cette musique dans la tête
  • How I Became Stupid
  • Love in Lowercase
  • Vers la beauté
  • Unter dem Safranmond
  • Minciuni pe canapea
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Four Paws of Spiritual Success
A popular contemporary French author and dramatist, his plays are translated and staged in more than 30 countries all over the world.

He studied at the Lycée du Parc in Lyon and was accepted at the famous École normale supérieure in Paris (1980–1985), where he received a doctorate in philosophy. As the theme for his dissertation, he chose "Diderot and metaphysics". He spent three years teaching in