Start by marking “Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman” as Want to Read:
Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman

Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman

“A graphic revelation, an artistic and political document of enormous value in our troubled world.”—Paul Buhle

Disaster and Resistance outlines pressing social and political struggles at the dawn of the twenty-first century. In his bold comic style, Seth Tobocman chronicles events as they happen, musing not on the chaos of instability and fear, but on the struggle against i
Published June 1st 2008 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about Disaster and Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disaster and Resistance

Kristen
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
On the surface this is my kind of graphic novel: Hurricane Katrina, Israel, oil company abuses in Nigeria, The Carlyle Group directly responsible for 9/11? Yet I'm left feeling that either I am just a cynical shell of a human being or the author is completely and utterly naive. Or both. I appreciate the author's GR profile describes him as a propagandist and these were mainly pamphlets and so I can overlook the over the top hyperbole. And I'm glad there are people who have yet to give up hope th ...more
Michael
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Collection of various political and social rails done by Tobocman over the past few years, focusing on New Orleans post-Katrina mostly. He makes some good points, draws great, though he shares Michael Moore's tendency of over-state his point and try to make the Right seem like cackling, moustache-twirling uber-villains. Intriguing stuff.
I.
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a history book, and everyone really should read it.

This is an important record of how things have progressed since the turn of the millennium. Please, read it. Please.

We need to keep the perspective, and recognize what works and what actions are being taken long term.
Anna Wallman
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What better way to remember people of the injustices of the world that in pictures. This is a powerful comics book. Read it.
MRM
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Seth Tobocman is a venerated activist and artist, but I get the most out of informative comics, rather than reprints of handbills and posters (no matter how striking they might be, as the full-color ones here are). Disaster & Resistance has a good chunk of the former but also a lot of the latter, so, unless you're going to rip pages out of your copy, you might not want to spend the money on this book. (You can perhaps read your friend's copy, as I did.)

"A policy of disaster. A strategy of ca
Edwin Vazquez
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
A concerned look into the world of today. Seth Tobocman's political strips voice subjects that many other artists shy away from or do not truly understand. An authentic visual journalist, Seth delivers memorable art which will surely be markers for our current state of woe.
Alan
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Alan by: My Librarian
One of the best examples of political cartooning...graphic novel...sequential art...an amazing synthesis of activism and and art, whatever you call it. Just absolutely brilliant. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
libertine
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
can hardly put this thing down!
specially since it's not real thick, makes me wanna jus sit and read til it's done..

UGH!
DJ
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
highly highly recommend
Amanda
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Intro by Mumia. Clarification on the world bank. Traveling comic er.
Francisco Javier
Momoxshi
Dec 09, 2011
Mino
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"We, the people, must help each other."
Doug Hansen
Dec 09, 2017
Emily Young
Feb 19, 2017
Emily
May 21, 2016
Patrick
Aug 17, 2011
Radical comic book artist who has been living in Manhattan's Lower East Side since 1978. Tobocman is best known for his creation of the political comic book World War 3 Illustrated, which he started in 1979 with fellow artist Peter Kuper. He has also been an influential propagandist for the squatting, anti-globalist, and anti-war movements in the United States.