Start by marking “The Innocent Assassins” as Want to Read:
The Innocent Assassins

The Innocent Assassins

There are three rules to staying an assassin at the corporation of Covert Operatives: (1) your parents must be deceased, (2) your contracts must remain confidential, and (3) you must be under the age of eighteen.

After a murder mission goes awry a month before her eighteenth birthday, Covert Operatives assassin Jane Lu finds herself caught by the federal government and forc
Published June 24th 2014 by Astraea Press (first published June 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Innocent Assassins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Innocent Assassins

Heena Rathore P.
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA readers
You can read the original review at JC's Book Haven

NOTE: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Good
I liked everything about the book, right from the cover to the last page of the book. I'm more than happy that I got to read this one. What stands out in the book is the concept. CO or Covert Operatives is an organization that takes in orphans and trains them right from the age of 5 to become assassins. These assassins are given contracts to be completed, in other wo
Shay
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author to review honestly.*

Underage assassins and spies? Yes, please. That was pretty much my entire thought process when I was asked to review this book...good thought process, no? This book sounds mysterious and badass at first glance, and it's both those things, in a way. This is going to be a short review because, unfortunately, it's one of those books that just toes the line; I definitely didn't dislike it but I didn't love it either.

Jane
AJ
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
(Read this review and more at Pretty Bookmarks)

I absolutely adored The Innocent Assassins.

It is no secret that I love anything Nikita-esque, so its not surprise I jumped at the opportunity to review this book.

The Innocent Assassins is action-packed and extremely fast-paced that it keeps you turning pages from start to end. The Innocent Assassins revolves around Covert Operatives agent, Jane and her journey after a mission goes awry and is forced to double cross CO to work for the CIA.

If you’re f
Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews)
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books-tbr
Find this and more super amazing (duh) book reviews here.

I was given this book by the author and, as always, that does not affect my overall opinions of the book.

MORAL RATING:

PG-13: Violence (it’s about underage assassins ahaha come on), some mentions of sex (implied sex? idk), lots of kissing

THE GOOD:

When I read this novel’s premise, I was instantly intrigued. Kids close to my age entrusted to carry out assassinations of high-paying clients? I can’t say that I’ve read a book that shares a plot
Kat
Shelves: read-in-2014
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Innocent Assassins was an enjoyable focus with a really fun focus on spies and assassins. It also had a very large focus on romance, but I didn't feel like that overwhelmed the other parts too much. A good portion (especially the beginning) was hard to put down, which is a sign of a decent book. I did have two issues with this one that brought down my rating a bit. The romance went back and forth a lot. It didn't bother me for
Izabella
*****I recieved a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.*****

There are three rules to staying an assassin at Covert Operatives: one, your parents must be deceased, two, your murder contracts must remain confidential, and three, you must be under the age of eighteen.

Jane Lu and her best friend Adrian King were taken in by Covert Operatives aka CO from the foster care system when they were just 5 years old.
CO provided Jane, Adrian, and many other kids with food, clothes, she
Tikaa
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
See Original Review & Similar Posts Here

Innocent Assassins is one of those books that will keep you up until 3 am because you can't put it down. One of those fast paced, fun reads, that sucks you in from the beginning, and spits you out at the very end. I found myself laughing at the characters, even yelling at them because I was so invested. It was just that good. IA follows Jane Lu, a trained assassin for the organization Covert Operatives. What I loved
booksandbark
Recommended to booksandbark by: Pema Donyo
Shelves: reviews
Source: Review copy given to me by the author

Let it just be said that I read this book in under 24 hours.

This book is most definitely romance. That being said, it is most definitely also a thriller.

I’m not a big fan of romance books. I never have been, and probably never will be. I mean, I have basically skipped over every romance scene in every book I have ever read. And yet Pema managed to get me to stay up until 2 AM finishing this book. Now, my friends, that is good writing.

Strong female cha
Jessica
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
plot

I was fully intrigued by the idea of teenage assassins, especially in such an organized setting that could easy be compared to a boarding school/workplace. It added an idea of institutionalized murder, which is equally intriguing as it is horrifying.

Jane works for Covert Operatives, an organization that 'rescues' orphans off the street and gives them a home... the catch? They are trained as professional assassins carrying out the dirty work for greedy people across the world. Except, Lucy is
Heather
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
**Reviewed for EBooks Galore**

Innocent Assassins follows young adult Jane Yu as she graduates from Covert Operatives, a secret society that uses children to "close contracts." Jane knows she doesn't want to stay with the company once she ages out, despite being in a relationship with Adrian King, fellow assassin and (perhaps) her new boss. On one of her last missions, something goes wrong and Jane gets captured. The price for her freedom? Betraying the only family she's ever known.

I wanted to li
Rochelle
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked about this book is how courageous, determined and honest the main character Jane was, especially in the beginning. If you didn't know, I love brave characters. I also really like where the story was set, it was a very interesting kind of world and It'd be nice to learn more about it.

There were some decisions the protagonist made that I wasn't necessarily happy about, but the good thing was that I didn't get really anno
Angela Mitchell
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults and Adults
I had the great pleasure of doing some edits on "The Innocent Assassins." a first novel by Pema Donya.

From the very beginning this book will attach itself to you and keep you completely hooked until you read that final page.

This school of assassins called Covert Operations start training children when they're barely out of diapers. They have to be under eighteen years old to go on killing missions.

Jane Lu loves Adrian King, but it seems like Adrian loves Covert Operations more than her and is d
Lily Paradis
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was given to me for an honest review.

I'm a huge fan of action books and TV shows, and this one really reminded me of Nikita or Alias in a great way. Donyo's writing style is very vivid and expressive, so I felt like I was right in the middle of all the action. I also really enjoyed the romance factor as well, because it was interesting to see how love factored into such a dangerous world.

One thing that I would have liked to see was a different side of Adrian, beca
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
3.5/5 stars! Review is up! Check out A Bookish Nerd for a complete review!

A few things I liked:

- The main character, Jane.
- The plot
- The writing style

A few things I didn't like

- The romance (AT ALL)
- Not that many action scenes
- Wanted to see more of the CEO

Katie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-14
Things I liked: the action! it was fast paced and kept me reading and wanting more. the main character! Jane is kick butt and really enjoyed reading her story
Things I wasn't sold on: The romance! I was on and off with liking this romance as much as they were on and off. Sometimes characters just need to make up their mind.

This was like a mix of Legand and Reboot but subtract the dystopian aspect. I totally recommend if you are burnt out on dytopian but want some kick butt action.
K Y L A
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
3 STARS.

Full review soon.
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great read, not perfect, but overall just too fantastic to miss.
Book Freak
Debbie
Jul 20, 2014
Charlie_jh134
Jul 30, 2014
Pema Donyo is a full-time finance professional, part-time author, and at-all-times coffee lover. She believes creativity can be infused into all endeavors, whether building a brand new story world or solving a quantitative problem. She currently lives in San Francisco. Learn more on her website: http://pemadonyo.wordpress.com

Sign up to receive e-mail alerts for new releases: