Start by marking “The Case of the Insufferable Slave” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Insufferable Slave

The Case of the Insufferable Slave

Dear Author,
In this society all detectives receive a slave as part of their job title. Their world is dark, rough, crime ridden and the job of a detective is incredibly difficult. A slave is meant to ease their burden at home by serving both as a house and a bed slave. Problem is, this newly-made detective does not want a slave, but he forced to take one or lose his job.
Published June 25th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Insufferable Slave, please sign up.
Andrea Here ya go - http://www.mmromancegroup.com/
Here ya go - http://www.mmromancegroup.com/
2nd paragraph down has the link to 2014 where this book is. If you don't already belong to the group just click Home on the page and join, easy to do. You can download in mobi, pdf, etc. Gillian has one I liked even more in the 2015 collection, Deep Magic.

If you've never read any of the Don't Read in the Closet stories from the mmromance group you've missed a gold mine. Some of my favorite authors have written stories for the event and I've also found some wonderful new to me authors, Gillian being one of them. Happy reading.(less)

Start your review of The Case of the Insufferable Slave
Julio Genao
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella
squicked. the fuck. out.

the voice was great. the mystery wasn't bad. and the prose was both breezily amusing and competently constructed.

but i have no earthly idea what i can have been thinking about when i picked this up.

1960s AU america where the south won the civil war and slavery is still legal.

with white slaves.

as if.

and one black slave.

as—

—oh.

speaking as a brown boy in liberal-assed noo yawk who had to study the black-american diaspora for six years, i can tell you this shit just ain't my
Rosa, really
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lover's of Noirish Detectives, Slaves and games of tie me up, tie me down.
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Sofia

I regret having to tell you this, but...

description

So I'm not going to "write" a review with a large amount of what one may refer to as "words."

So here we go.

The Case of the Insufferable Slave Recipe

Take 2 cups of Private Dick Harry Flint:

description

And 1 cup of Friday, a slave who creates trouble in Flint's life as well as a throbbing in his groin:

Add a few dashes of this plus 100 years:

description

(It's supposed to represent Civil War soldiers. What? What? You don't get it? And I thought I was so clear.)

Plus just a skosh of
Emma Sea
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My brain is filled with squeesplosions and general adoration. I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. I'm a bit speechless, but that was SO MUCH FUN. Wheeeerawrsqueesplorkboom. That's the sound of my synapses collapsing under the sheer weight of hard-boiled, rope-bound noir pleasure.
READ IT.
Vivian
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Talk about taking a prompt and running. Damn.

Hard-boiled detective story that twists North/South pre-Civil war politics to make one of the most unique slave fics I've ever read. Set in twentieth century America it reads smooth like the whiskey Flint drinks. Brilliant use of the prompt and just... wow! Nicely woven mystery that has enough twists and turns, double crosses, and implications that it is fun and exciting.

Loved the characters. Flint is a crusty guy with his own past,
Sofia
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Why I loved this little noir gem:

the writing - Ms St Kevern hit the noir nail right on the head.
Flint's voice - his quips are pure noir, his heart in the right place
the very twisty turns of the investigation, right to the end
the slimy baddies
the alternate reality with no info dumps, whilst at the same time giving me all the details I needed.

After I finished this short I was left with a pure noir feeling, happy but desolate. Happy because I enjoyed reading the story and desolate because I
Lisa Henry
Oh yes.

It's MM noir.

Let's call it MMoir

It's Sam Spade meets slash, and it's wonderful.

The story... you guys, I don't even remember the story. (That's a lie, I do, and it was a good actual mystery!) I was concentrating too much on the way the words were put together in that perfect hard-bitten detective story way. Flint is 90% cynic, 10% poet and 100% gruff asshole. I love him.

This story was so much fun. I'd love to read a full length novel set in this world.

ETA: Holy crap. This story made
LenaRibka
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to LenaRibka by: Meep
Between 2,5 and 3 stars.

I know why I stayed well clear of this book.

I don't enjoy slave's AU fanfic.
And in spite of the nice writing in a noir atmosphere, it is exactly the reason for my rating.
I could have enjoyed it probably more at least if I had liked the mystery, but it didn't impress me also.
My next problem -I couldn't connect with the MCs.
I give an extra bonus because it was a debut novel.

The author has a lot of potential and I hope that the next book works better for me.
KatieMc
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am not one to lead the pack in reading brand new books or even DRitC stories. I usually wait to see what bubbles to the top so I can make more informed choices (thanks GR friends!). But I do like AU slavefics, and I do like cozy mysteries, so I grabbed this puppy soon after it was released. Lucky me.

It didn't take long before I had a squee of delight realizing that this is an exceptionally special story. Talk about imaginative. Think of a literary version of Iron Chef where the author is given
Bree Cheese
Squee! This was my prompt and the wonderful Gillian turned it into something extraordinarily unique and far better then anything I could imagine. Getting some tasty tidbits from the author early on, I knew this was going to be a hard-boiled-noir-mystery but I didn’t expect this to a hard-boiled-noir-mystery-of-extreme-awesomeness. Loved the worn down alternate-universe of Atlanta where slavery is legal and the dark, sexy and twisty plot.

Thank you Ms. Gillian St. Kevern for taking on my prompt
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING!

description
As a young whippersnapper, I was introduced to the noir genre by my parents, and I remember thinking the language was odd, the men always seemed a little terse and the ladies always had a secret. The endings were sometimes happy, sometimes bittersweet, but the mystery was always solved and the dick was always on to his next case.

Ms. St. Kevern knocked it out of the park with this gem. She captured that time and added a mouthy and lovable slave named Friday of all things!
Crispy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully original blend of detective noir and slave-fic set against the background of a seedy alternative-universe Atlanta. The story follows the adventures of hard boiled private detective Flint as he deals with the unwanted gift of slave boy Friday, the machinations of the sinister crime boss Galapagos, and the mysterious disappearance of a client's sister. Everything in this eccentric world is slightly skewed, the language is not quite Humphrey Bogart, the cultural references and mores ...more
Sunny
This story wasn't what I was expecting, and it took me awhile to adjust to it. Once I did, though, I enjoyed the read. Flint and Day made a great pair, and the humor in their interactions kept me smiling while the sexy times kept me satisfied :)

A well written mystery with some great details.

I highlighted the crap out of this story.

Side note:
I admit I was uncomfortable with the rewritten history regarding the civil war and the north/south division, and that took me out of the story a few times.
Therese
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, dystopia
What I really liked in this novella, was the AU created. The whole set-up with a private investigator and his slave/secretary just screams sequels, and they would probably be pretty damn entertaining to read.
The dystopian kind of world is mainly described in the first half of the book, but after a while, the story mainly focused on the mystery plot, and less on the world building, and at some points I did not really feel the difference between our world and the AU.

I was entertained while
Kat
Hmz.

Me, being late to the party again.
Martin
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute little story about private eye Flint in a world where slavery exists. A rich patron gifts him a handsome slave and despite Flint's reluctance, he grows fond of Day (short for Friday) and together they solve their first case.

I didn't really get into the story. The narration was a bit all over the place and didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The concept sure is interesting, though.

2.5 stars!
Adam
Thank you to the author for participating in the Loves Landscapes event!

DNF at 58%

2 stars. Probably.

description

I've realized that noir fiction is definitely not for me. Simply put, I was bored out of my mind. And I'm fairly certain that it wasn't the fault of the author. Very much so a "me-not-you" case. Granted, I was already somewhat skeptical of the noir-theme before starting, but I'd thought that the slavery and mystery would hold my attention.

However, I couldn't help but take the slavery aspect with
Meep
Recommended to Meep by: Rosa, really
Wonderful detective story full of Noir flavour.

The writing is very good and ropes you into this alternative world with a lot of character yet not one awkward info dump. I'm not a fan of slavefic! something that almost stopped me reading (BIG thanks to Rosa, really) but the politics and dynamic here are fascinating. Previous bad situations are referred to but never witnessed or detailed.

This is a real detective story, with a mystery full of intrigue and twists to the very end. I didn't predict
Otila
Recommended to Otila by: Sofia
OMG. This was soooo good. I have no words so go read these reviews which say it way better than I can, and do yourselves a favor and READ THIS STORY!

Sofia's review
Rosa, really's review
Tali Spencer
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this story. There's such wonderful world-building here: a different take on slavery, a reluctant master like no other, and a truly twisty mystery plot. And how could I resist a detective so hard-boiled he could have leapt from the pages of a 30s pulp novel? I couldn't. I toppled into this story from the first paragraphs and was sad when it ended and I had to leave.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love's Landscapes event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

3.5 stars The author did an amazing job with this prompt. A really creative story that takes place in the south (early 20th century?) if they had won (tied?) the Civil War, and slavery was legal below the Mason-Dixon line.

I loved the hard-boiled language and style, it allowed for some great quotes:

"Even the smoke he exhaled had a price tag."

"My drink came with enough ice
ttg
Shelves: m-m, reviews, wow-free
This was a very fun novella to read, with the extra bonus for being free!

This is a noir-ish historical mystery set in an alternative world where owning slaves is allowed and expected. New private detective Flint, a freed slave himself, finds that he's unhappily saddled with taking on a slave of his own, and he's somewhat lost on how poor, low-rent him is supposed to handle the beautiful young man that's knocking on his door.

Flint can read people, and he reads gorgeous Friday, who is a mix of
Cari Z.
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. Not at all what I was expecting, but if possible this story was an improvement on Bree's prompt, which was already awesome.

This is a genuine mystery story, a detective noir filled with ridiculous similes, a down-on-his-luck PI and the kind of skillful world building I don't normally expect from anything other than a full-fledged fantasy novel, which this definitely was not. I loved the fact that the author chose to go alt. history with the Civil War, I loved the vivid scenes she
Steelwhisper
Somewhere between 1.5 and 2*, one of which is for being a freebie.

I guess for people liking copycat Philip Marlowe this reads perfectly fine. I'm unfortunately over copycat film noir. Really over it. And what's left after that are unlikeable, macho alpha-males who talk and behave as if someone fed them a strict diet of dog testicles.

So, this was not my thing.
Danny Tyran
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Noir about Flint, a detective, who has to investigate a missing person case that involves a bad guy who gave him Friday, a slave that Flint doesn't want at all. Flint drinks and smokes too much as every PI in the old time noirs. But Flint tries to reduce his drinking and smoking for Friday's and his investigation's good. The tone of the dialogues is also consistent with this genre.

For a Noir crime rookie writer, the author is very good and the relationship between Flint and Friday is
Ami

When this was posted, the pretty prompt picture and the prompt itself intrigued me. I mean, detectives! Noir! I am a huge fan of mystery (grew up with Agatha Christie here!) -- and I don't mind the lack of romance when the mystery is good. I am not really sure with the slave element because I'm NOT a huge fan of slave fic for my romance.

Well, I do kinda like it but unlike others who give this higher ratings, I am actually a bit distracted by the slave plot. Personally, I think the
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I won't lie: I feel a bit weird.

Partially because reading it made me feel weird, and partially because so many people seemed to love it while I just felt... weird. And what's even weirder is that I don't even know what exactly about this made me feel weird.

I don't know if you've already noticed, but there's a theme to this review.

Trying to think -- let alone talk -- about this book is like looking through some really really strong prescription glasses: kinda gives me a headache, but mostly, I
Star
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent m/m noire in an alternate Southern future with slaves. Sounds weird? Yes, but it works!
Leanne
What a delightful read! Loved everything about it.

Ms Kevern, I'd happily pay for this. Plus anything else you might happen to write in the future.
Kudos on a pretty awesome debut. :)
Eve
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loves-landscapes
Really enjoyed this. An AU noirish detective-slash-slavefic story with a good mystery. Would have liked a little more backstory and more development of the dynamics between master and slave, but really, it was delightful reading.
Teresa
3.5 Stars - I loved how it started like an old fashioned Detective Movie, I practically read in sepia. The twists and turns in the plot kept me guessing and the world was interesting. The only thing was I didn't feel any connection between Flint and Friday other than employee/slave and boss, and even that felt grudging.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Taken From Him
  • His
  • Only You
  • The Heartbeat Under a White Coat
  • The Alpha King (Kingdom of Askara #1)
  • Half Past Forever
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • He Didn't Have To Be
  • Tidewater
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Foxes Over Flowers
  • Aunt Green, Aunt Brown and Aunt Lavender
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)