Start by marking “The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail” as Want to Read:
The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America - A Chronological Paper Trail by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt 1999 Paperback
Published September 1st 1999 by 3d Research Co (first published January 1st 1999)

Start your review of The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail
Leah
Sep 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I read (or started to read) the Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt because a homeschooling association emailed me the free pdf (which is available on the interwebs). I gotta stop reading these books that homeschoolers love. It’s like they are trying to talk me out of homeschooling.

I decided to read this one only because I thought she couldn’t really mean that the decline of America’s education system was deliberate. That would be crazy, right? Well, it is crazy. It i
Roslyn
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book can be summarized well with a loose quote from the preface: If a child can read, write and compute at a reasonably proficient level, he will be able to do just about anything he wishes with his life, able to control his destiny. Because providing such basic proficiencies is not and should not be an expensive or complicated proposition, it becomes obvious that it is only a radical social agenda to brainwash our children that is the costly proposition--and complicated to hide what's real ...more
wally
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: iserbyt
this lady, i believe she was secretary of education at some point during the reagan years, had been away, out of the country, where i don't recall. she returns to the u.s.a. and is shocked by what she sees in american education. she compiled this book.

i read it a few years ago and it just came to me, just now, in a flash and i don't even want a pickle.

so...here i am, writing this. i read it on-line....did i use that hyphen correctly? and does it matter?

anyway, this work, as the sub-title says...
Zalee Harris
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By the time I finished reading BK Eakman's "Cloning the American Mind, I was fired up. A community friend connected me with Chalotte Iserbyt. Chalotte came to Maryland to be a keynote speaker at annual PTA Awards meeting I co-planned. She shipped 100 copies of this book and she gave autographed copies of this book to all that attended. We became friends. For me, this book connected the dots in the research I was doing regarding the education system where I lived.

If you want to understand the pro
Travis Koch
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More Crimes Against Humanity...
ELB
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years ago, it is a great book! I loaned it to my cousin, he loaned it to his father-in-law, the Mother-in-law read it and I don't know where it is today but at least a few people got to read it before it disappeared. This book convinced me to home school my daughter, I'm so happy that I did. She has graduated Home High School, her senior year, she passed 7 College C.L.E.P. exams, for 27 College credits.
6 credits for American History 1 & 2, 3 credits for psychology, 3 cre
Joyce
Aug 21, 2011 added it
...it was prophetic, in a measurable and statistical way, i.e. rational, orderly, and, hence, scientific!
Sally
Aug 30, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: education
free download on her site. saw a clip on youtube....
John Smith
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I basically admire the thesis and intent of this book. But I fault it for its format and execution. This book is one long last, paragraph after paragraph, of quotations from sources which together allegedly show a "deliberate" dumbing down. Moe interpretation needed.
Recynd
I've not read/studied this book yet, though I've listened to many hours of her lectures on various, related subjects. If anyone is interested, she IS a compelling speaker, if you can get through her introduction. Just enter "Iserbyt" in the search box on YouTube and lots of videos will pop up.
*****************************************************

While I haven't read the book cover to cover (this is more of a reference book), I have read enough of it to get the idea. It is well-written and very,
Bridget
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
It's no surprise that our education system is headed for the dump. This is a very detailed collection of events and publication excerpts that portrays the decline of public school education. It is a laborious read and put me to sleep many nights to the point where I had to just skim read the last half.
Philnotfil
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great compilation of primary sources, but the editorializing between the primary sources often skews the perception of what was happening in those primary sources. Worth having access to, but be aware of the heavy bias in the editorial commentary.
Karan
May 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Did not read the whole thing...okay...didn't have time to read it since it is not a book, it is a tome...but she does have a great deal of documents - and these are troubling. Is it credible? I think the greatest evidence is the educational tailspin our current generation is experiencing.
Budd Turner
Paper trail of the "education reform" over the past century.
Depressing, helped me decide to get out of the education enterprise, away from budget politics and the good ole boy/gal net I was never invited into.
Boky Oo
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You have The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America, Revised and Abridged Edition on Amazon:
Jesse
Oct 06, 2010 is currently reading it
Terrifying and can't stop reading it.
Kasey Malone
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Revelatory!!!
Patrick
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not too sure if the points she makes are still valid in this day and age of on-demand information.
Rafael Perez
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Strong book i think every parent should have a copy.
Beebee Pomegranate
Feb 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
Cpl. does not have it
Dawn
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well argued thesis as to the intentional sabotage of the American intellect.
Walter  Bradley Jr.
Oct 17, 2007
Jacob Furdui
Feb 23, 2020
Anthony
rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2012
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• It's Heaven to Be Seven
  • Codependent No More & Beyond Codependency
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Learning to Love Yourself
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus