Start by marking “If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #3)

If the Shoe Kills

(Tourist Trap Mysteries #3)

The tourist town of South Cove, California, is a lovely place to spend the holidays. But this year, shop owner Jill Gardner discovers there’s no place like home for homicide. . .

As owner of Coffee, Books, and More, Jill Gardner looks forward to the hustle and bustle of holiday shoppers. But when the mayor ropes her into being liasion for a new work program, 'tis the season

Published November 10th 2014 by eKensington (first published November 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about If the Shoe Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Shoe Kills

LORI CASWELL
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Spending the holidays in South Cove sounds wonderful if you can look beyond finding a dead body or two. Book three in this series introduces us to Ted Hendricks and a program that matches businesses up with people looking for work. They work as interns as they gain experience to land them a full time job in the future. We quickly learn that Ted is a real creep and had someone not put the people of South Cove out of his misery he would have been headed to jail. It looks like su
Rosemarie Hamilton
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has been on my TBR for, well a long time. I wanted to read a little cozy mystery and decided to go with If the Shoe Kills, although it's the third book in the series, it's also okay as a standalone read.

I have to say I was smitten with the story, especially with the protagonist Jill Gardner, owner of Coffee, Books, and More. I really enjoyed reading a book with a character that also reads a book every chance she got, just like us book lovers. Hence her opening a book store yeah! I totally w
Yvonne
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It’s holiday time in South Cove, California and Jill Gardner has her hands full. Not only does she have her own bookstore/café to run, but she’s asked to be the liaison for a new work program which is run by Ted Hendricks. Each business in the tourist town is assigned an intern to assist them, but the store owners are afraid the interns will turn out to be delinquents and not trustworthy. It’s up to Jill to convince them to participate. The big problem is that Hendricks is not a very nice guy. W ...more
Mary Brown
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If The Shoe Kills by Lynn Cahoon is the third book in A Tourist Trap Mystery series. I have read all three in the series and I have enjoyed all three.

It is Thanksgiving time in South Cove, California. The business community is participating in a work program where interns will help in their shops. Many of them are not happy about this because they are afraid that the interns will be trouble makers and delinquents. And most of them do not like the man in charge, Ted. He is unfriendly and obnoxio
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Kensington and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lynn Cahoon is back with If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery #3) with Jill, Aunt Jacklie, Greg the hot detective and love interest, and the gang at South Cove Merchant’s association.

This time when they try and do the right thing, all sorts of mischief and happenings as they prepare for the Christmas season; from small town dirty politics, murder, a not so pleasant mayor, a work program which tur
Gary Sundell
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another really good entry in the Tourist Trap series. This one was a bit lighter on the investigation than the first 2. Probably 4.5 stars. The towns cast of characters grows a bit in this book. Jill, the main. character, seems to be a trouble magnet. She discovers a dead body on her way to see her boyfriend at City Hall. So who killed the scumbag director of the work fare program? Was it a suicide or a murder.
Victoria Colotta
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Truth Time. I have never read anything by Lynn Cahoon, but this time I judged a book by its cover…and its name. If there was ever a murder mystery title for me, it would be If the Shoe Kills. Luckily for me, I hit the jackpot with this book. It is a classic small town murder mystery. Move over Jessica Fletcher! Jill Gardner is giving you a run for your money.

In the small tourist town South Cove, Coffee, Books, and More shop owner Jill Gardner is getting ready for the holiday shopping season and
Alisa
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
For me, the appeal of "cozy" mysteries is twofold: A book I can polish off in a couple of hours and a cast of recurring characters I come to view as friends. In these books, the developing relationships are as much a part of the story as the mystery plot.

This latest entry in the Tourist Trap Mystery series was a fun return visit to South Cove. Jill Gardner, owner of Coffee, Books and More, is still frustrating her cop boyfriend by getting involved in murders and Mayor Baylor is still a pain in
Linda
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Jill Gardner owns Coffee, Books and More, and runs it smoothly with the help of her Aunt Jackie and part-time employee, Toby. The town is participating in a work program headed by an overbearingly rude man, Ted Hendricks. All the work program employees seem happy in their placements, but are uneasy and afraid around Ted. Then, Ted turns up dead. Jill's boyfriend is a detective, Greg, who continually tells her to leave the investigating to him, but Jill's curious nature keeps her sleuthing instin ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
I am so enjoying this series and am thankful that I've been able to receive a complimentary copy from the publisher and NetGalley to provide an honest review.

I have now read all three books in this series so far and have found them to be well written and with great characters and plots. "If the Shoe Kills" didn't seem like the best title to me, but the story itself was great, Jill and Greg are great together and the remainder of the cast of characters were interesting and fun. I like that the au
Amanda
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Great easy, fun read! There were several suspects and I didn't guess the culprit before it was revealed. Though the story doesn't take place during the holidays, Jill's shop and the rest of the town are preparing and decorating and getting into the holiday spirit. I really like the elements of giving to those in need and helping others in this book! Looking forward to reading #4 as soon as I can get it.
Ann
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a nice Christmas story in the Tourist Trap Mystery series. This is a cute cozy book with re-occuring characters and a great little California town setting. Jill and her Aunt Jackie are having a Christmas party for the Children's center and in the midst of the planning a man is murdered. Between the party and the investigation, Jill is busy keeping out of Greg's official police probe. Can't wait for the next installment.
Ruth
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and is fast turning into one of my favourites. I love Jill and all the other characters, and really enjoy reading about how she is developing her business and becoming part of the community. I like the fact that the murder mystery is intriguing and kept me guessing, but doesn't dominate the story completely.
Micky Cox
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The third book in the series and an interesting twist to the plot. While there are multiple plausible suspects, it is pretty well set up to lead the final suspect. Great characters, although I did struggle a bit with the personality development of a few characters in this installment. The glass shop owner apparently hates Jill, yet trusts her? While it is a little thing and did not detract terribly from the storyline, it doesn't sit quite right. Overall the story line was good, characters are go ...more
Vanessa
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Very Very good. Like this whole series. Good story. Mystery I can't figure out right away. Write more!!!!!
Sylvikb
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before I begin, I must admit that I started this novel with a biased perspective. This is due to the fact that I had already read the previous novel, “Guidebook to Murder” by Lynn Cahoon and had immediately grown smitten with the story. So when I started the next installment of Tourist Trap Mystery series with, “If the Shoe Kills” by Lynn Cahoon I had high expectations. I am happy to admit that some of my expectations were met while other aspects of the story exceeded my own imagination.
Holiday
Robin Morgan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
This book is one of three I’ve recently won which had been offered as part of an internet giveaway by the publisher and the following is my honest opinion for this book.

This story takes place in the relatively small tourist town of South Clove, California. Who doesn’t love these quaint small towns, I know I do; especially the small stores which populate towns like this. As I read this book images of the television program “Murder She Wrote” kept popping into my mind. I saw Jill Gardner filling t
Katherine
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-read, audible
I think this is my favorite so far. It's full of mystery, holiday cheer, and little things that made me chuckle. One thing I wouldn't mind changing is Jill and Greg, they seem more like brother and sister. I believe their personalities are too similar and rather boring together. I like both characters just not together.
Clare O'Beara
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime
This cosy crime story is set in a northern California seaside town, and in the run-up to Christmas everyone is busy.

This being the case I wasn't sure how the protagonist is able to sign up for evening classes in a craft, which she does to further her investigations into a death. She's already in the busiest time for shop-owners like herself, she's planning a Thanksgiving family meal, and she's got a very nice partner to cater for and spend time with, so her schedule would seem to be full.

Anyway
Jeanie Jackson
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-amateur
Loved If the Shoe Kills, too. The story starts just before the before the holiday season and Jill's aunt Jackie has a project rolling before Jill has time to blink, but one again it is a great idea, raise money to provide books for the children's center in nearby Bakerstown. Who can say no to that! The local businesses rebel when the mayor places his wife in charge of the town's decorating! That has been Darla's job for years.

Businesses in town have agreed to accept short term interns for unempl
Rhonda
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

This is the third book in the Tourist Trap Mystery series. It has the familiar characters and some new ones too. I did not guess who the murder was. It also had some Christmas cheer. Good drama.

The setting is small town on the California coast called South Cove.

Jill Gardner owns Coffee, books, and more. Jill is involved in a lot of things. She dates Detective Greg King. She is always told to stay out of his murder cases.

Ted Hendricks is coming to down to bring some interns to work the Chr
Kathy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been enjoying this cozy mystery series by Lynn Cahoon. Tourist Trap Mysteries are based in a central coast California town South Cove..I'm thinking a town like Cambria. Jill Gardner owns the town's book and coffee shop called appropriately....Coffee, Books and More. She also has a penchant for becoming involved in local murders.

Jill's boyfriend, Greg, is a detective with South Cove's police department. He wishes that she should stay home and keep her nose out of trouble but trouble seems
Betty
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lynn-cahoon, e-books
Secret s Revealed!

A book book fun curl up and read on a cold winter's night or at he beach on a hot day n summer. South Cove is getting ready for the Christmas holidays. The mayor is at again giving the businesses more work. He agreed that the town would accept workers from government training program. He names Jill as the liaison for the town. Mayor puts his wife in charge of South Cove holiday decorations upsetting the person who usually does it. The owner of the Glass Slippers is reluctant to
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Another great installment in the Tourist Trap cozy mystery series. Lynn has a great series going here and the books keep getting better and better. The town is a place I would like to live (well as long as I am not the one that ends of dead!) with its small town charm and friendly residents. Although the Mayor leaves a lot to be desired, but you have to have some conflict otherwise the story wouldn't be as interesting.

Once again I never suspected this character as being the killer. I guess I sho
Jonathan
The third book in this series, this was a fast read that I enjoyed.

The characters were great, I love Jill. Greg annoyed me at times, but overall he was an okay character. I loved the secondary characters and was upset when we never met Toby's new girlfriend.

The mystery was okay, the killer really wasn't a surprise and I figured out who it was awhile before Jill did, but there were some twists that left me gaping at points, so overall not very bad.

The only down points were there were a few incons
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed the first to books in this series, I was thrilled to finally read IF THE SHOE KILLS. This story did not disappoint!

I would totally hangout in protagonist Jill Gardner's shop, Coffee, Books and More, Every town needs a place just like it.

In this third installment I continued to enjoy the relationships between the characters in the series. It's been fun watching the grow throughout the series.

Ms. Cahoon once again kept me guessing as to the identity of the killer. She has
Kim
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, net-galley, kindle, n
This is a cosy mystery set in a tourist spot called South Cove in California. Jill Gardner runs a bookstore/cafe that is taking part in a programme set up by the mayor. The local businesses are worried they will be left with delinquents and the person in charge is very unpleasant to deal with. When he's found dead it's deemed a suicide- but Jill thinks he has been murdered and investigates.

It's the lead up to Christmas and I love the American small town setting- it makes you want to visit! I und
Davec
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable light reading - more of a romance / mystery than a mystery / romance. It won't have you on the edge of your seat, but you will find yourself rooting for the characters, and occasionally trudging through some areas. Also, in my opinion, this book is clearly aimed at the mature female audience. Nevertheless I did get through it and enjoyed the journey at times, even though the ending wasn't exactly a shock.
Betty
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining cozy featuring Jill Gardner. Jill is the owner of Coffee, Books and More and the resident sleuth of South Cove, California. When a rude, domineering resident commits suicide or, as Jill suspects is murdered, she is on the job to track down the culprit despite what her detective boyfriend thinks. A fun, lighthearted read.
Jenni Schell
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little read. The characters in the series are all wonderful. As always, I loved the mystery and was on pins and needles until the very end. I can't wait for the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Drape Expectations (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #4)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Harlow (League of Literary Ladies #3)
  • Death of a Lobster Lover (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #9)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • Masking for Trouble (Costume Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Cracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Threads of Evidence (Mainely Needlepoint, #2)
  • Murder Most Finicky (Pawsitively Organic Mystery, #4)
  • Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Turning the Tide (Quaker Midwife Mystery #3)
  • Ginger Snapped (Spice Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Knock on Wood (Superstition Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Row to Hoe (Home Crafting Mystery #6)
  • The Calamity Café (Down South Café Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Mansion (A Kelly Jackson Mystery #2)
  • Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)
Lynn Cahoon, award-winning NYT and USA Today best-selling author, pens several cozy mystery series. The Tourist Trap series is set in central coastal California includes nine, soon to be ten, novels with six holiday novellas. She also pens the Cat Latimer series (set in Colorado) available in mass market paperback. The Farm to Fork mystery series is set in her home state of Idaho. No matter where ...more

Tourist Trap Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Guidebook to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #1)
  • Mission to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #2)
  • Dressed to Kill (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Run (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Wheels (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #6)
  • Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7)
  • Hospitality and Homicide (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #8)
  • Killer Party (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #9)
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mystery #11)
  • Memories and Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery # 10)
“I think any reading is good reading, even if it's commercial fiction. A good story well told is worth the time” 4 likes
“Sometimes life was a vicious circle. The things we love can draw us nearer to the things we hate.” 1 likes