Start by marking “Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Hounded

(The Iron Druid Chronicles #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  67,405 ratings  ·  6,307 reviews
Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, pos ...more
Audio CD
Published October 28th 2014 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded, please sign up.
David Henson Personally if you haven't read it yet I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The style is similar (in my opinion) and he defiantly puts a…morePersonally if you haven't read it yet I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The style is similar (in my opinion) and he defiantly puts a fair amount of humor into his work. (less)
Bob Sorry, but that is a real cover model. Take a look at Gene Mollica's portfolio (http://genemollica.com/cover-art/) - there you can find several covers…moreSorry, but that is a real cover model. Take a look at Gene Mollica's portfolio (http://genemollica.com/cover-art/) - there you can find several covers of the Iron Druid Chronicles picturing the model.
(less)

·  67,405 ratings  ·  6,307 reviews

Patrick
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's hard for me to read urban fantasy these days and not compare the books to the Dresden files.

When the main character is a magic-wielding badass that interacts with mythological figures, it makes it harder to avoid the comparison. When the book is in first person, and the magic wielding badass is also a snarky, sarcastic wise-ass.... well... it's nigh impossible to avoid putting the two books side-by-side in my mind.

That said, there are a lot of differences. And the vast majority of the thi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book! ❤ I wasn't sure at first because lately when reading my urban fantasy books, they are taking me longer to get into and that's sad because I used to read them all of the time. At any rate, this one took off for me after a little bit and I freaking fell in love.

I mean this book has so much stuff in it! All kinds of gods, references to gods, God, the devil. We have Vampire and Werewolf attorneys, goblins, ogres... gah! there is just so much.

Anyhoo, so Atticus is a 2100 year old
Kat Kennedy
If Joss Whedon and Jim Butcher had a love child that would one day grow up and write a novel - this would be the novel he wrote.

Jim Butcher

PLUS

Joss Whedon

EQUALS

[image error]
Now would be the time to admit the truth about your parents, Hearne! ADMIT IT!

For the most part, Hounded is a delightful, action-packed urban fantasy novel with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, interesting characters and witty banter.

It's not a perfect novel. The main protagonist, Atticus, a 2100 year old druid living in Tempe, Arizona is a fanta
mark monday
The Learning Annex presents a three-session workshop:

HOW TO WRITE URBAN FANTASY IN 3 EASY STEPS!

Session 1: Uncover Your Inner Shallow Self And Flaunt It

Why waste time putting energy towards creating depth? Readers are not looking for intangibles, they are looking for escape! Depth often makes them feel out of their depth so why not create some positive impact. Research your mythology of choice, then surround that central mythology with as many other mythologies and fantasy figures as you possibl
Nikki
*sigh* This was quite the frustrating book to read. For the first third or so of the book I wasn't certain how I felt about it, but this was largely due to my hesitancy to jump to conclusions. Well the potential middle of the road rating quickly deteriorated to a well-deserved one star. Needless to say I will not be continuing in the series unless I am at a level of boredom I have not yet experienced.

Let's start with Atticus. Atticus is supposed to be a Druid who is 2,100 years old. However, he
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ten Things I liked/loved about Hounded and the Whys:

1. Sexy, redheaded Irish hero. Why, because I have a thing for red-headed guys, and I am a proud person of Irish ancestry, so I think Irish people are cool!
2. Hero is a druid who can also kick butt like nobody's business. Why, because I love characters who can kick butt, and druids are so mysterious and underutilized in contemporary fantasy.
3. The hero communicates with his dog. Why, because I am crazy about animals, I love the human/animal bon
Anne
Re-read 2017
Because Druids are hot!

description

I've been meaning to reread this series (and catch up on missing books) for a while now, but it took my oldest son getting into Urban Fantasy to kick my ass into gear. I gave it to him, he loved it, and then promptly wanted to talk about what had happened in the story.
Aw, fuck.
Yeah, I'd forgotten everything, so I had to 'refresh' my memory. Luckily, this was one of those first books in a series that wasn't bogged down by too much set up for the next installmen
Lyn
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atticus O’Sullivan, the protagonist of Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series, Thor, Stevie Nicks and Lyn sit in the left field seats watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game and discussing Hounded.

Thor: So why did you call me an “ass-hat”?

Atticus: I call ‘em like I see ‘em big guy. But don’t take it too hard, I’ll buy you another beer as my way of making amends. [hails a beer vendor]

Thor: I’m repeatedly described as difficult, and that’s a euphemism, and I’m not supposed to take it so hard?

Stevie: I thi
Rane
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rane by: Sans
Shelves: keeper, urban-fantasy
A few moons ago, I use to read PNR/UF books like I breathe air, and ate them like potato chips. Then the treads started up with many authors pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. Walking back to the genres has been (so far) very good with the help of many of my GR friend’s reviews; I’ve had a lot of luck with PNR and Romantic UFs, but haven’t had the true courage to try my hand at a UF until Hounded. Hounded is a book that made me remember why I loved and miss the genre so much! ...more
Kimberley doruyter
i was surpirsed at how much i loved it.
the myths are correct and from all over the world.
and i loved the dog.

re-read still love that dog!!

re-re-read i could read this every month if i had too.
Lesley
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I’m kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, it was fast paced, exciting, fun, and humorous. On the other hand, it’s a little muddled, has a couple of plot holes, and is occasionally silly to the point of being cheesy. I enjoyed it, but I honestly don’t know whether I would recommend it to someone else. So here is what I liked and what I didn’t - you decide.

Hounded has an interesting premise - a 2,100 year old Druid, along with the Celtic god of death, a magic sword, a pack of werewolves, and
Dan Schwent
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, lendable
Millenia-old druid Atticus O'Sullivan has a powerful magical sword in his possession and a Celtic god wants it in the worst way. But what does that have to do with a coven of witches? And which side are Flidais and the other gods on? Can Atticus escape with his skin, even with a pack of werewolves and a vampire lawyer on his side?

I had my eye open for a new urban fantasy series to try once the Dresden Files began tasting like ashes in my mouth. When the price on the ebook version of this dropped
Orient
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF fans
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
This book was a fun read I needed for recuperation. Thank you, Milda, for one more great rec ;)

“Hounded” is well soaked in Celtic mythology, with some spices from other cultures, also it’s fast-paced, humorous, magical, doggily fantastic and it has a great blend of modern and mythic worlds.

I think “Hounded” was a great read. I liked the variety of mythology a lot, it was interesting and engaging to read. The story is fast-paced and it wasn’t over-flooded with stereotypes, so no eye-rolling or
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Manchee fans (of Chaos Walking) - you will love Oberon!

Review for the males :

Atticus is a guy's guy. He's got a dry sense of humor, doesn't spew pretty language for the sake of having to impress anyone, and spends a good portion of his time communicating with man's best friend - yep, a dog. A very intelligent dog who happens to be loyal and helpful in a pinch, but would rather be eating sausages and banging french poodles.

Oh yeah, and this Atticus guy carries a big sword. And works some badass
Celeste
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, funny
Full review now posted!

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Sometimes, I want my fantasy dense and epic. Sometimes I want a fantasy that keeps things light and funny. Sometimes, I want a fantasy that is a happy medium between the two, something that isn’t dense and has humor, but where there are real stakes to the hardships facing the protagonist. That’s when I turn to Urban Fantasy. Some UF series (and most of them are series) are superior to others. While I like what I’ve read of the Dresden Files and the Hollo
TS Chan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Iron Druid has the strongest beginning to an urban fantasy series that I have read to-date. Hounded was thoroughly entertaining without being cheesy and resorting to too much sex, violence and gore.

Given that Atticus O'Sullivan is a druid, it is only fitting that the debut novel dealt heavily with Celtic mythology. Even though my knowledge of Celtic lore is painfully lacking, the one thing I would not desire is a story told with loads of clunky info-dump. My fears are unfounded as Hearne crafte
jv poore
Well, now I'm hooked on Hearne.
Denisa
1.5 Nope

It's not for me.
I really didn't like it... The beginning seemed really good then everything went downhill damn fast.

This guy was thinking like a 12-year-old! And he was just so damn annoying about it!

When I decided to read this one I saw two types of reviews: really good ones and really bad ones. I really hoped that I'd be in the "YES" category but well, guess I wasn't.
It was a bad read for me.

Why the 1.5/2 stars? I can see the appeal, the guy has his good moments (although I DNFed, so
Laurence
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By any objective standard, this is an awful book. It has a childishly simple plot, which still manages to get buried under page after page of the sort of clumsy exposition and background information that can only be shovelled on by an author who clearly believes the 'show, don't tell' adage applies to other people. It has a supporting cast of characters who, when they're not cheap caricatures lifted directly from Urban Fantasy for Dummies are so poorly fleshed out as to be virtually non-existent ...more
Richard Derus
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old--when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the A
Michael
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this first in the Iron Druid series. It reminds me a great deal of Dresden (that's a good thing). My only compaint...I didn't get as emotionally connected as I would have liked - probably beause he seemed rather nonconcerned about any conflict that would befall him. But that's a minor nitpick. (I'm a writer we always think about how we would have done things)

I highly recommend this book - especially for those that enjoy Butcher's Dresden.
carol.
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of male UF

Enjoyable, engrossing read. Definite fun. Atticus is the first praciticing druid I've read about in a long while, and it's nice to have a new take on magic in the urban fantasy line. In fact, all sorts of immortals and deities seem to be present, particularly from Celtic and Norse mythologies. They actually behave a lot like the stereotypes of gods from mythology (at least in the Greek myths I read), which is to say, manipulative, egotistical and randy. Hearne does a nice job of balancing their
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I jinxed myself. I read the first 5 pages and thought I might actually like it after procrastinating over the decision of: to read, or not to read? I blame myself for settling on the former, as many have compared it to Jim Butcher's writing. Me and that dude do not get on. We are chalk and cheese.

The humour is unfunny; it's forced. The info-dump is off-putting; too much, too fast. Dialogue-overload. Not enough description.

Atticus claims to be 2,100 or just 21 to humans. He lies to everyone but
Regina
2.75 stars. I listened to the audio version and the narration was good. I plan to listen to #2.

Okay, I feel sort of like the odd woman out here. Most of my goodreads friends loved this book and are gushing about it. But I just did not see what was so special about this book. I feel bad writing this review and saying this, but no this book is not a favorite.

Okay, the good things first. The writing is solid in Hounded and the pacing is good. The characters are interesting. There is not any chapt
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Atticus O’Sullivan is the last of the Druids. He seems to live mostly a peaceful life in Tempe, Arizona. He owns an occult bookshop that he also sells herbs and tea’s out of. On his spare time, he likes to shape-shift and go hunting with his Irish wolfhound. Life almost seems good, but an angry Celtic god wants his sword and he has been looking for Atticus for a while. Suddenly, people are showing up to try and kill him to get the sword back and Atticus needs to put this fight behind him ones an ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Buddy Read with Shandra, Ana, Loki, Skyla and Litchick!

Really strong for the first book in a series, and I'll most likely check out at least the second one if not the rest at some point along the way. Loved the premise and all the Celtic/Irish mythology (being of Irish/Scottish descent myself, it just feels good to find a story that involves all of that without resorting to leprechauns right off the bat), and all the characters were fantastic. Atticus and Oberon and Granuaile and the neighbors a
Phrynne
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily a five star book for me, and Atticus, the 2000 year old Druid, is a five star character too! This has LOTS in common with the Dresden Files which is a plus plus plus because I love the Dresden Files and have to wait patiently each year for the next in the series. This series will help me wait:) Hounded is a great read, full of magic and all the creatures that that entails plus a new to me superhero who eventually wins the ultimate battles. Oh and lots of laugh aloud moments too especially ...more
Megan Baxter
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sort of a sucker for good snark. And I've been bemoaning the similarities of much of the fantasy I've been reading recently. So this book came around at exactly the right time, and quite enchanted me. It's not the deepest book in the world, but it was thoroughly fun and diverting, and I look forward to reading more in the series.

In the meanti
Connor
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just pure fun for me. I didn't get connected to the characters very much because there wasn't much urgency. Atticus never gets riled up, so I never was worried about any of the main players. BUT I think I'll get more and more into it as the books go along. It's a fun intro into the world, but I wouldn't say it'll blow you away.
Bradley
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book by a friend and since I've also had a great time with several other series in the same way, I was perfectly willing to give it a try. I have to admit that my general reaction to Urban Fantasy is somewhat less than warm, but for some odd reason I can't quite figure out, I still get sucked right in and I enjoy some of them immensely. I started with Laurell K Hamilton, and even stayed with it through the myriad sexcapades. Then I was heavily surprised and overjoyed with ...more
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Cybermancy (Webmage, #2)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Eye of the Tempest (Jane True, #4)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and the Tales of Pell, a humorous fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. INK & SIGIL, a new urban fantasy series set in the Iron Druid universe, will be out in 2020.

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)
“Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” 300 likes
“Yer a good lad, Atticus, mowin’ me lawn and killin’ what Brits come around.” 197 likes