Start by marking “Glitch” as Want to Read:
Glitch

Glitch

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,070 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
When a robot defies his programming, is he broken? Or is he something else?

A short story of 5,000 words.
Published June 16th 2014 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Glitch, please sign up.
Joyce If you are a member of audible, they have it in the channels section

Paul
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
entertainingyet ultimately shallow short story

sometimes I'll read a novel and think it would have been more effective as a short story. this is a short story that could have been a novella. the writing is strong but I would have liked to know more about the characters.
Jordon Greene
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Great Quick Read

Howey's Glitch is a great quick read about AI, but it ends so abruptly. It makes sense and it isn't a bad ending but it left me wanting more, wandering, but I guess that's the point.
Pippa DaCosta
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Thank you Kindle Unlimited, without you I wouldn't have one-clicked this short (I don't usually read shorts) and it's wonderful. Intriguing characters, excellent world building, fabulous pace, and all in a few pages. I just wish I knew what happened next...
Kels
"Maybe this is why we’ve never gotten over this hump before because progress looks like a glitch and it can’t be copied or reproduced. I wonder how many times we’ve been on this precipice only to delete what we can't understand. I wonder if this is why downloading human consciousness has been such a dead end. Like there’s some bit of complexity there that can’t survive duplication.

Great writing, great world building, great characterizations, great plot, but I can't ignore my feelings that say
Jo Ann
Nothing new here, just an old plot line that's been done to death. Still I like Hugh Howey's style of writing so it wasn't a total waste of half an hour.
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

This was a super short yet cool read. And although it was pretty short I enjoyed the open-endedness of it. The struggle that the scientists had with shutting him down or allowing him to evolve and maybe/possibly revolting was clear and concise in this book. Is it a Glitch or something more?

What would you do in this situation? I mean, you have essentially created life right? Do you kill it? Does it have a soul to kill? Do you let it ‘live’ and if you do, ar
Tiara
“I remember holding Sarah for the first time, marveling at this ability we have to create life where before there was none.”

In a world that craves the brutality that come with robot bouts (basically brutal cage fights between robots), Sam, Peter, and Greenie investigate why their prize fighter, Max, refuses to obey their orders. Their future depends on him being combat ready since these bouts seem to determine what contracts they land with various companies who want the best tech their money ca
Dan Absalonson
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This short story was amazing. I did not want it to be over. It pulled me in right away. For how short it is, you really feel like you know the characters by the end. I hope there will be another story continuing this one, or that Hugh will expand it into a longer work because I love the world this story takes place in and the characters in it. Fantastic story.
Steve
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one reminded me of the old robot stories, like "I, Robot", from Isaac Asimov, back in the golden age of science fiction. This could easily be tied in to a pre-robots/pre-foundation story (or series of stories) leading up to Daneel Olivaw.

Good stuff!
Gretta Germroth
I want to hear more about Max.

This seem like a good beginning of a longer story. I look forward to more. Don't disappoint me. If only most humans were sentient.
Andrew Greatbatch
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
What happens next???? :(
Books, Vertigo and Tea (Danielle)
“—where servants are assembled for the wealthy, healthcare bots for the infirmed, and mail-order sex bots that go mostly to Russia. A lust for violence, in some roundabout way, funds other lusts."

This is a very fast read, clocking in at 15 pages. We are presented with a group of programmers who have suddenly discovered that their prize robot Max who has been designed to fight no longer wishes to cooperate. Designed to learn as he fights, the one thing Max should not be capable of is defiance. Su
AudioBookReviewer
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ABR's original Glitch audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Two formerly married scientists have sold out their love of robotics and artificial intelligence design for the far more lucrative business of making fighting robots. Wrapped in their effort to get back what they worked for is their buried search for their own humanity and their deep love and respect for each other.

Listening to short stories is at once satisfying and frustrating. On one hand it is great to
E.J. Fisch
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, sci-fi
I'm always amazed by standalone short stories and how much of a STORY an author can create in such a small amount of words. This was actually the first Hugh Howey story I've ever read, and I really enjoyed the writing. Even in the short period of time it took me to read it, I felt totally immersed, like I was right there observing everything with the characters. And of course the whole concept of robots/sentience/free-will/what-does-it-mean-to-be-human is something I've found really intriguing a ...more
Jessica
I read this after I was reminded of how much I enjoyed Howey's other short story, Wool. Wool is an example of how great a standalone scifi short story can be. Unfortunately, while I liked Glitch, it didn't work as a short story. It definitely felt like the beginning of a novel (a novel I would read!); it didn't have that punch of a well-done short story.

Great premise, definitely had me interested, but definitely reads like a first chapter.
Romina Nicolaides
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I read this out of curiosity over H. Howey's work and I wasn't disappointed. Though it deals with computers and A.I which isn't really my bag literature wise, it's still captivating despite the seemingly technical aspects of the language. As with any book, or short story in this case, tackling A.I, the conclusion is more philosophical than anything, so it is worth a quick read.
Bill
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good. Short.
Leslie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, ku
This is an absolutely delightful, very short, science future story. Utilizing bleeding edge ideas and DARPA it is an enchanting read.
Larka Fenrir
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A great quick read - (view spoiler)
Lars Fischer
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun little short-story on tech, developing tech, and about emergent behaviour in parallel processing. Made me smile.
Daniel
As expected from Hugh Howey this was a well-written piece, but unfortunately the whole story and especially its conclusion are rather banal and predictable. Feels more or less like something that was hastily put together for the quick buck. Sorry Mr. Howey, you can do much better than this...
Tim Martin
This was a very fast read, being only 15 pages (5,000 words), one I was very easily able to read on my lunchbreak. I don’t think this was anywhere near as self-contained as the other Hugh Howey short story I read (_Little Noises_) but I still found it engaging with some fairly well drawn characters (at least the two main characters).

The story wasn’t especially ground breaking (robot developed for sport gladiatorial fighting seems to develop sentience) but the author showed skill by developing in
M.E. Tudor
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this out of curiosity. Hugh Howey is one of the most successful self-published authors, ever, so I wanted to check him out and see what the big deal was. Well, he's a great writer, that's what the big deal is. I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, but I loved this short story and will be looking for the one following it, because I'm sure there is one.

My only complaint about the story was that I was a little confused about the main character at first, and part of that was just my own misconcep
Kenneth Cummings
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of science fiction, cyberpunk and robots.
Thought-provoking and enticing, - though not entirely original - Glitch is a short story that tackles a common theme in science fiction: the self-awareness and exploitation of artificial intelligence. As the title implies, Howey begs the question: "is self-determination a glitch"? If any of this sounds familiar, than that's probably because you have a passing familiarity with science fiction. Still, whilst not the most remarkable thing I've ever read, Hugh Howey presents a near-future scenario i ...more
Kishor
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robots gaining consciousness has been a topic dealt with a million times by a million authors. Still, this extremely short story stirred up all sorts of ideas in me, and felt like the unison of all the robot movies I've ever seen.

What's interesting is the idea that the DARPA is sponsoring the research that goes on in the story (or in the setting, at least). Currently, DARPA is looking into automated binary analysis and has an annual competition where machines are pitted against each other with t
Fabrizia
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-u, reviewed
3.5 ⭐ I've just started getting into scifi books, but this was an excellent example of what I like read. Very good writing, and gripping story although nothing particularly groundbreaking. I'm a little bit sad that it's just a short story, I would have definitely read a whole book to know what happens next to Max.
Charla
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

For anyone who's read this author before and those who love science fiction. This is only the beginning of what can be an incredible story. The ending took my breath away and left me smiling. Now to wait for the rest of the story, if the author decides to write it,or just imagine on my own. Either way, it's a win win.
Debbie
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's plenty of food for thought packed into this short story. The minimal sketch of the world this story occurs in presents a fairly grim picture. Max, and his glitch, brought to mind Asimov's robot history. I'm also intrigued by the thought that progress can happen in such small steps that a major milestone can be passed without fanfare. Maybe that's true. This is entertaining reading.
Princessjay
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much story and emotions packed into a short couple of pages. An excellent take a well-trod story.
Lord Nikon
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Simple, and yet perfectly enthralling and enjoyable. Made me buy other work by Howey!
Around the Year i...: Glitch, by Hugh Howey 8 18 Jul 21, 2016 10:30AM
  • The Robot Chronicles
  • The Last Rail-Rider
  • The A.I. Chronicles
  • My Sweet Satan
  • The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)
  • The Tale of The Wicked
  • The Beam: The Complete First Season
  • The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • The Future Chronicles: Special Edition
  • Betrayed (Frozen Sky #2)
  • #NaNoWri War Z, Hugh Howey Must Die
  • Zero Hour (Zero Hour #1)
  • Doctor Who: Dead Air
  • Public Enemy Zero
  • Second Variety
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse (SFFWorld.com anthology, #1)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Soda Pop Soldier
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified
More about Hugh Howey

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The Wrath is what Peter named my mood before eight in the morning. Our marriage might’ve survived if we’d only had to do afternoons.” 2 likes
“I wonder how many times we’ve been on this precipice only to delete what we can’t understand. And then thinking we can just copy it back, and find that it’s been lost. I wonder if this is why downloading the human consciousness has been such a dead end. Like there’s some bit of complexity there that can’t survive duplication.” 1 likes