Start by marking “A Sparrow in Terezin (Hidden Masterpiece #2)” as Want to Read:
A Sparrow in Terezin (Hidden Masterpiece #2)

A Sparrow in Terezin

(Hidden Masterpiece #2)

Bound together across time, two women will discover a powerful connection through one survivor's story of hope in the darkest days of a war-torn world.

Present Day: With the grand opening of her new art gallery and a fairy tale wedding just around the corner, Sera James feels like she's stumbled into a charmed life until a brutal legal battle against fiance William Hanover
Published April 7th 2015 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 1st 2015)

Start your review of A Sparrow in Terezin (Hidden Masterpiece #2)
Hannah
Beautiful story! Just as enjoyable as the first book, and not quite as painful to read. Kája is a vibrant character, so much so that I feel I could step back in time and recognize her in her secretarial work or her teaching.

My one gripe is that Kája's suitor curses twice. Yes, he was provoked, but I was very disappointed to see that Cambron put in the actual word. Minus one star.
Sarah Sundin
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Sparrow in Terezin takes you from the terror of London during the Blitz, to the horror of the concentration camps, to modern-day London and San Francisco. Kristy Cambron paints a touching picture of a woman trying to do the right thing in a time when evil prevailed, and the ripples her actions send into the future. Beautiful writing and heartbreaking imagery make the novel sing, proving Cambron’s acclaimed debut novel, The Butterfly and the Violin, was no fluke. I highly recommend this book.
Rachel McMillan
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were moments of lyrical genius and snatches of a poetic sensibility showing that Cambron has honed her skill in her sophomore novel. As in the first, the underlining themes of art amidst the atrocities of the Second World War and Concentration camps (here, Terezin: the ghetto and labour camp in Prague) is well-met with the characters' crises of faith and trust in their Creator. As in Butterfly and the Violin, I found that the modern frame was disjointed; but Cambron is SO adept at winding ...more
m a r y l i z
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reread Jan/Feb. 2019:

*clutches heart* I love this story so much, and Liam and Kája are one of the sweetest couples in WWII fiction. Though not as good as its predecessor (in my opinion), A Sparrow in Terezin is piercingly beautiful & breathtaking in an unassuming way. It shines a light in the darkness and reminds you that beauty is found in broken things. That art is a powerful, important thing. And that His eye is on the sparrow - even in Terezin.

Do yourselves a favor and read this book.

/ / /
Cara Putman
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the Sparrow of Terezin, Kristy Cambron has crafted a beautiful story of parallel journeys: a completely free-standing story set during World War II, and the other a continuation of the contemporary story in The Butterfly & the Violin. The pages move seamlessly from one story to the next, yet leaving me with a longing for more in each story. This makes the pages fly and makes it difficult to walk away from the story when real life intervenes.

The historical characters are so real, their losses
Sarita
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristy Cambron's writing is captivating and filled with emotion from page 1 of this story.

Sera and William - it was great to catch up with these two and the challenge they faced was filled with emotion and except for the struggles newly weds had to face, there was another challenge Sera and Will had to face which could make or break a marriage. Some of the decisions they made had me frowning, but everything flowed together by the end of the book.

Kaja and Liam - The WW2 story was interesting, fil
Brenda Hawley
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I was very disappointed with this book. I am an avid reader of this genre and expected another spell binding experience but the more I read, the more of the plot seemed contrived and unrealistic. The modern day story had too much useless dialogue and the main character, Sera, seemed to whine most of the time. The second plot centered in 1942 when a Jewish girl who escaped the Nazis in Prague and ended up in London, decides to go back to rescue her parents from the Nazi war machine. First of all, ...more
Olivia
I want to cry because I love this book so much!

As Sera and William battle issues at the start of their marriage, Kaja flees Prague as the Nazi's take over and she meets the dashing reporter Liam Marshall. Through the darkness they endeavor to find hope-not in what they can see-but in what God can.

The writing was definitely improved from the last one and I felt that both timelines flowed better together. The emotions surrounding both stories pull at your heart and make you wish the book wouldn't
Alicia
On one hand I really liked it. On the other hand I didn't. Unlike The Butterfly and the Violin, I didn't feel like the past and present storylines connected very well. I also enjoyed the historical part much more than the contemporary part- in fact, I think that the former could have been its own book (since so much happened!).

The WWII storyline: Kaja escapes her beloved Prague as the Nazis invade, moving to London (where she meets a charming reporter named Liam). When she discovers the truth o
Jesseca Wheaton
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I started this book as soon as I finished the first one yesterday.
Wow.
It's been awhile since I got this caught up in a story. Kristy has a way of making you feel as though you're right there with the characters.
I enjoyed this book even more then the first one (if that's even possible). I can't remember the last time I've laughed and then cried over a book like I did with "A Sparrow in Terezin".
It has a simple, easy-to-relate-to feel, but at the same time there is the deeper meaning that the
Alyssa
Anna
Wow, I couldn't put it down, reading late into the night.
Sera and William are celebrating their wedding day when William is arrested for fraud. Sera believes with all her heart that William is innocent. What their journey to prove that William had no role in the wrong doing is the unraveling of the story of Kaja. Kaja and her sister leave Prague before the Nazi's begin to round up the Jews. Her parents remain behind. Kaja's father is Jewish, but as a doctor hopes to use his skills to save the l
Staci
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Kristy Cambron has followed up her debut, The Butterfly and the Violin, with a beautifully written novel in A Sprarrow in Terezin.

The story of Sera and William picks up where it left off and the action on the current day story was immediate.

Kaja's story set during WWII was a bit slower to develop and I admit took me a bit to appreciate the background leading up to her time in Terezin. In hindsight, I do see the beauty of setting Kaja's back story to fully appreciate her as a character.

The last 1
Cheri
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley!

If you haven't read the first book in this series The Butterfly and the Violin you really should read it first.

I couldn't put this book down! This book has two stories-one is a modern day story and the other is a story set in WWII. Both stories will grip you from page one until you turn the last page and are sad that it had to end. I will be reading both books in this series again.
Nicole
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would rate the historical part of this book (Kaja's story) 5 stars, but overall went with 4.
I've read other books that take place in the holocaust ghettos, and like those you can't walk away from this book and forget what you've seen in those streets. This story was bittersweet and powerful. And I can't leave a review without at least mentioning Dane. Uhhhgh... *cries, conflicted* Wow. Really good read.
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very rarely do I like a sequel as much as its predecessor. Not so with “A Sparrow in Terezin”; it was just as good as the first one in the series! Maybe even a bit better, in the historical parts. Historical fiction about the London Blitz is very interesting to me, and the author did a great job of making it feel “real”. As for the conclusion of the Holocaust chapters, and also the modern-day ending, I defy any reader to not get a lump in the throat!
I recommend this to all history buffs. It woul
Amanda
Absolutely beautiful

If I could rate this higher than 5, I would. It's such a beautiful fictional telling of terazin. I had tears in my eyes at the finish of the story.
Julia
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Sparrow In Terezin by Kristy Cambron is the second book in the Hidden Masterpiece series, and I was blessed to receive a copy. There are some books that you read, and then get on with your life, without so much as a backwards glance. The Sparrow In Terezin is not one of those books. This novel pierces your heart, and will remain with you long after the last page is read.
A Sparrow In Terezin continues to follow Sera and William, who marry at the start of the novel. William is immediately accuse
Erin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

There's no point in denying it, I was excited about reading Kristy Cambron's A Sparrow in Terezin. I downloaded the book to my kindle the moment the publisher issued it for review and jumped in without a second of hesitation. Three pages later, I slammed on the breaks.

Had I done my homework it wouldn't have been a problem, but I'd jumped the gun and learned the hard way that Cambron's Hidden Masterpiece series aren't writte
Amanda Geaney
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this title ever since I turned the last pages of The Butterfly and the Violin - which made my personal "Best of 2014" list. All the waiting paid off when I finally held this book in my hands. Like a delectable treat, I slowly savored the beauty of this story.

[Present Day] Sera and William Hanover's "happily ever after" is inevitably linked to the past. This becomes painfully apparent when William is arrested on the night of their wedding. In an effort
Savanna Kaiser
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been eagerly anticipating this novel ever since I finished the first book in the series. I could hardly imagine a story sweeping my emotions away more than The Butterfly and the Violin. Once again, I was surprised.

A Sparrow in Terezin is one of those books you read slowly, savoring every word. And let me warn you, you will lose all sense of time as you fall immersed into it.

The story picks back up with Sera and William from the first book, along with a few other familiar faces, and their si
Kate Breslin
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kristy Cambron weaves a masterful tapestry of past and present in her novel, A Sparrow in Terezin. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this beautifully written tale of two women of faith, each from a different time and place, yet both seeking to recapture love through God’s healing grace. My heart was moved by lovely Sara, overshadowed with despair and uncertainty despite the sunny shores of modern-day San Francisco’s coast; and Kája, lonely and anxious amidst the frightening ambience of WWII Europe. C ...more
Emily
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!!! One problem: I was so wrapped up in Kaja's story of fleeing Prague during WWII, her relationship with Liam, and the horror and struggles of life in Terezin that I wasn't as interested in the present day story. But still ... another wonderful story by Kristy Cambron! I look forward to reading more of her work. ...more
Schuyler
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! Loved reading almost the entire thing in one day. I'm excited to review it soon! Kristy's work is beautiful as always! ...more
Karen Collier
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kristy Cambron’s The Butterfly and the Violin (see my review) was one of my favorite reads of 2014. I was impressed by its beautiful portrayal of hope in the form of art amidst the horrors of war. I also loved the way the contemporary and historical storylines complemented each other. This second novel in the series follows in its predecessor’s footsteps, continuing William and Sera’s contemporary story, while introducing a new set of historical characters through which to portray hope in seemin ...more
Jamie
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
What a story of hope, sacrifice and finding beauty in the darkest of places and times! Kristy Cambron’s sophomore novel, A Sparrow in Terezin, is another beautifully written tale, drawing you into two different times and eras, but connected through a child who survived the war. It’s not an easy story to read (stories surrounding WWII rarely are), but it’s 112% worth it!

This history of what happened around the world during WWII, especially the horrific things done to Jewish families who crossed p
The Overweight Bookshelf
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review here: http://www.overweightbookshelf.com/20...

What drives humanity back from the brink of despair and capitulation during histories darkest hours? Hope. Like a single ray of light permeating the darkness, hope illuminates even the deepest desperation. Kristy Cambron’s sophomore novel weaves a singular thread of hope through the lives of two women separated by time but connected through a Holocaust survivor.

While I found Sera and William’s contemporary story to carry weight and heart,
Joy C.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, beautiful story! Oh my word, I am going to need some thought before plunging into a review. Suffice to say I loved it as much as "The Butterfly and the Violin". . . If not more! It was so good, so moving and heart-wrenchingly sad.

There were a few flaws, I felt, in the way Cambron would sometimes reveal big information in a narrative style and tell us what happened, or rush through in between details instead of showing us what actually happened especially regarding the historic
Linda Klager
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who has courage enough to be able to encourage others while in a concentration camp? I am not sure many people would have the strength to lift up others in such dire circumstances. Kaja was such a sweet and caring soul. She loved her parents so much that she gave up her sweetheart and the life they would live to face the dangers of going into a camp to try and rescue her parents.

What a terrible time in the history of the world when the Jewish people were hated so much that many of them were murd
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Review to Come

• Memories of Glass
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • Yours Truly, Thomas
  • A Bound Heart
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)
  • Hidden Among the Stars
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Butterfly Palace (Love Across the Sea #1)
  • For Such a Time
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Catching the Wind
  • The King's Mercy
  • A Bride of Convenience (The Bride Ships, #3)
  • Until the Dawn (Until the Dawn, #1)
  • The Best of Intentions (Canadian Crossings, #1)
KRISTY CAMBRON is a vintage-inspired storyteller writing from the space where art, history, and faith intersect. She's a Christy Award-winning author of historical fiction, including her bestselling debut, The Butterfly and the Violin, and nonfiction, including the Verse Mapping series of Bibles and Bible studies. A self-proclaimed history nerd, she loves to chase all things research, going behind ...more

Hidden Masterpiece (2 books)
  • The Butterfly and the Violin (Hidden Masterpiece, #1)

News & Interviews

“Sparrows soar on high; they are light and agile. They fly through the clouds unafraid and travel where the skeleton could never go. That is strength on little wings. And they fly about inside the tower, waiting for the sun to go down so they can open the windows and escape out into the night sky.” “And what do they do when they come out?” “They rain tiny blessings down on the Jews of Prague while we all are asleep. They shine light in the darkness.” 3 likes
“Of the 15,000 children who are believed to have passed through the walls of Terezin, fewer than 100 ultimately survived the Holocaust. I pray, with so many of you, that we would never forget. For every one of those little sparrows who fell, God’s hands were open.” 2 likes