Start by marking “That One May Smile (Garda West, #1)” as Want to Read:
That One May Smile (Garda West, #1)

That One May Smile

(Garda West #1)

When Kelly Johnson's husband disappears, her perfect world in the Foxrock suburb of Dublin falls apart. Then she stumbles on a dead body in the graveyard behind her house.
A coincidence? Garda Sergeant Mike West thinks so until he finds a link between the dead body and Kelly's missing husband.
And then to add to the problem, Kelly disappears.
The investigation takes West f
Published June 16th 2014

To ask other readers questions about That One May Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That One May Smile

Start your review of That One May Smile (Garda West, #1)
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I really liked this book when I started it, and had great hopes for the development of both the plot and the characters. Unfortunately this never happened.

The first 30% of the book was engaging, and then it just failed to go anywhere. The characters don't develop; we know no more about them by the end of the book than we did at the 30% mark.

The text was marked by errors like "crown gathering" instead of "crowd gathering"; "her hear racing" instead of "her heart racing", a
Linda Strong
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

Kelly Johnson's husband disappeared 3 months ago. She waits for his return ... eating, bathing, almost breathing is forgotten in her grief. On the one day she manages to leave the house. she discovers a dead man in the graveyard behind her home ... only this man has never been buried.

Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate and finds a link from the dead man to Kelly's missing husband ... and then she goes missing.

Mike West is intense and detail oriented. Kelly s
Janel
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hope you’ve got room for one more crime series as this book is the perfect summer read, a solid mystery with some great characters. The themes don’t run too dark or sinister, this is more of a light-hearted read.

I enjoyed the mystery, it was well thought-out and came together nicely; I loved that Kelly kept disappearing, the first time she disappeared I was not her biggest fan, and I thought she wasn’t the most likeable character but as events unfolded I came around to her way of t
booklover BEV
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping book

Set in foxrock village Dublin,Kelly Johnson husband simon vanished three month's ago. Walking home from shopping through the graveyard she stumbled across a boxed body with a Sharp wound in the stomach. the garda is called and find a sheet of paper with a message"come to good" written,this message is also found in Kelly's coat pocket on the day simon disappeared so what's the connection? I got so engrossed in the book from the start, fast pace, so many twists, sergeant Mike wes
Laura Turner
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found on my blog: https://pageturnersnook.wordpress.com

I really enjoyed That One May Smile. It is a great thriller with a lot of twists and turns that kept me gripped and sitting on the edge. If you’ve got room in your suitcase for one more book this summer, please use that room for That One May Smile as it’s a great light hearted mystery to read by the pool!

The writing style of That One May Smile really makes the novel and if you’re a one for police procedures, then this novel is definite
Britney
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from booklover catlady in exchange for an honest review.

I was looking forward to reading this book as it takes place in Ireland. Valerie Keogh is a good writer. Some words threw me a bit since it takes place in another country but not enough to throw the book off.

This is the kind of book you read if you want to know police procedure when investigating a crime. It's walks you step by step on how investigating crimes go. I guessed what was going on earl
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am grateful to booklover catlady for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kelly Johnson's husband, Simon, disappeared 3 months ago and she has become a bit of a hermit since. One morning she leaves the house to go shopping and on her way home stumbles on a body. This body is later discovered to have her husband's identification on him.

The police are called and are launched into an investigation full of duplicity and intrigue.

I enjoyed this book on the w
J. Kahele
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very intriguing thriller and there were quite a bit of twists that kept you on the edge of your seat. I loved the interaction between Kelly and Mike West, it was very cute and innocent. The one thing that kept me from giving this story five stars was Kelly's character at times seemed a little off and it took away from a lot of the depth I felt her character needed to pull this story off. Other than that, this was a great read.
IReadBooks
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Valerie Keogh, and I think this book is excellently written. The cover sort of intrigued me and each page just leaves me wondering. I love her style of writing.
Susan Godenzi
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story. And I really liked the main characters. Look forward to the next in the series.
Jacob Collins
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at: http://jacob-reviews-books.blogspot.c...

That One May Smile is the first book in the Garda West Crime Novels by Valerie Keogh. I really enjoyed reading this book, Valerie has created a cast of intriguing characters and a mystery that will keep you guessing until the final page. This series is definitely one to watch.

Kelly Johnson has lived the past three months in limbo. Her husband has disappeared and Kelly is still trying to piece together what happened to him. When she finally finds th
SUE
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
very good story. Easy to read, character are well suited for each other. The suspense as to who was
murdered is the question because they were talking about 2 different people, and as who did the killing. At the end the issue is cleared up. I was disappointed with the ending, I was wishing for the alternate
Mrs. R M Hannent
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read with lots of twists and turns.

The thought process of the author is very imaginative. To think of the ideas portrayed is very clever. Held my breath until the book was finished.
Nancy Mikos
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books that started out boing something I thought I would put aside. It was slow going at first. But as I kept reading, I really got into it. Finished it rather quickly. Sure do hope in one of the next in series, the detective and the girl get together..
Rob Pearson
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page turner.

Compex plot, nothing to realy give the game away until the final pages.
Well written and easy to read. Highly reccomended.
June Moonbridge
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this fast paced story. Main charters were believable and so were the twists.
If you like guessing who did it and why through most of the story, this one is for you.
Hugh W Allen
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Crime Thriller

Very well written crime story. Got me hooked from the start and was not one that had a predictable outcome. Well done
Lady Delacour
Enjoyable start to a series
that I personally will enjoy.
Picked because of the author.
Listened with TTS.
Cleanish.
Foul Language.
Sue
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and would have given it 4 stars if there hadn't been so many typos.
Debra Pritchard
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Plenty of twists.

A well written and gripping tale of deceipt and murder, I just couldn't put it down. I shall look forward to reading more from this author.
Linda Cole
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense

Amazing who done it with many facets to the crime. The characters were believable and I wanted to read more about what happens for them next
Ann Thompson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

I really enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to read the next books from this author. Intriguing, held my interest and didn't want to put it down.
Digital Book Freak
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime readers
Review rating: 4 stars.

Thank you to the author, Valerie Keogh, and Booklover Catlady Publicity for providing me with a free copy of That One May Smile (Garda West Crime, #1) in exchange for an honest review.

description

My first novel by Valerie Keogh and what great read!
Great title.
Well-developed characters.
Page-turner.

Can't wait to read Close Ranks (Garda West Crime, #2).

Blurb

"When Kelly Johnson's husband disappears, her perfect world in the Foxrock suburb of Dubli#2).
"When
Natasha Orme
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was keen to read this book after having finished the Nicola Connelly series but I wasn’t sure how I would feel about a new main character as I really loved Nicola.

This was a great story with loads of twists and turns. I loved the chemistry between Mike West and Kelly Johnson. The tension throughout the story is great and the journey to find the answers at times feels impossible but the way the author keeps us moving along is amazing.

My only negative comment is the confu
Margaret A Register
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

In spite of a few grammatical errors, the book ebbs and flows and draws the reader in. Into an intriguing web of love and lies and deceit. Good read!
Nicki Southwell
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The complicated plot uncovers identity theft, murder, drugs and blackmail. The story is set in a suburb of Dublin and then takes the story to Cornwall and Cork.

One of the key characters is Kelly who's husband disappeared 3 months earlier. She is so stressed and worried about him that she has trouble coping. Only when she has to venture out for food, she finds the body of a man in the churchyard behind her house.This, the first book of a series by Valerie Keogh, sets off at a fast pac
Misfits farm
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable detective novel. I had to keep my brains in however, as 2 characters had the same name (with a very good reason) which at times made me think carefully- which is not a bad thing! Twists and turns continue to the last chapter in this tale of deceit, drugs, money and love, but not in the way you expect. The main character does appear a little “ditzy” at one point but then again who is to say what anyone would do if put in that situation. Me? I wouldn’t have gone anywhere or ...more
Patricia Hudson
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: june-2014
Always dubious reading a book by new author, but this was very enjoyable, your interest was held from the first chapter, and you were led into the development of the characters as the story progressed, interest was held throughout with a few surprises. Reader was left with hoping to read more by this author and to see the development of the possible romance between the main two characters. Well worth a read.
Lara
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I am so glad I read this because it has rekindled my interest in mysteries! Thank you Valerie!

This says 4 stars but, really, I would give it a 4.5. The story drew me in immediately and I didn’t lose interest. There were also some good surprises!

The only thing I found lacking was more background material about Garda West and Kelly, in particular.

Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the story; it was very well written.

Looking forward to reading the next installment.
Paula Hofmeister
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked this story and the twists and turns - I only gave it 3 stars because the end was disconcerting

• Murder at the Holiday Home
  • Murder in the Air
  • Murder on Pay Day
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on the Peninsula
  • Crime in the Convent (Detective Markham Mystery #3)
  • Crime in the Choir (Detective Markham Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Pony Show
  • Crime in the School (Detective Markham Mystery #2)
  • A Lover Too Many (Inspector John Crow #1)
  • Murder in the valleys: A cozy Welsh crime mystery full of twists
  • Murder Undeniable (Kat and Mouse Mysteries #1)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • Murder for Money (Inspector John Crow #4)
  • The Innocent and the Dead: gripping Scottish crime fiction (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Fear on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at the old abbey: Murder, mystery and suspense in South Wales
  • Snow Fallen

Garda West (4 books)
  • Close Ranks (Garda West, #2)
  • Murder on Clare Island (Garda West, #3)
  • Death in Foxrock (Garda West #4)