Start by marking “Cupid's Way” as Want to Read:
Cupid's Way

Cupid's Way

When Evie Stone's grandparents enlist her help to save their home in Cupid's Way, Evie is happy to oblige. On the cusp of her thirties, and still disappointingly single, Evie's so-called dream job with a firm of architects has been driving her crazy for months. What she needs, even more than a new man, is a challenge. But saving Cupid's Way won't be easy. A perfectly prese ...more
Published June 27th 2014 by Mirrorball Books (first published June 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cupid's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cupid's Way

Debbie Young
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A pleasing romantic comedy that tells the story of a community's fight to save their street - the Cupid's Way of the title - from demolition.

Revolving around the nearly-30 heroine Evie Stone is a varied cast of characters of all ages. I especially enjoy the way Phillips weaves interesting and dignified elderly characters into her books, adding depth to the romantic themes played out by younger people at the heart of her stories.

The story's not only about the seemingly doomed romance sparked in t
Vanessa Wester
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
If you enjoy a British drama with romance and a feel good ending this is the story for you.

I enjoyed the style of writing and read it quickly. The characters were interesting and it had that TV drama tension many love - innocent locals versus the blood-thirsty corporates!

Personally, it was all too sugar coated in the end - I like good endings, but this one was too predictable for me.

Either way, an easy summer read...
Jody
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

Evie Stone is set to give an important talk at an event, but of course it is one of those days where everything just seems to go wrong and she’s running late. Thankfully, a handsome stranger named Michael is there to help her out and Evie immediately feels a connection between the two of them. However, Evie has other things on her mind. Her grandparents Mavis and Frank have lived in a Victorian street named Cupid’s Way in Br
Marina
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Evie has only one job to do, make a presentation at the conference for the firm she works for. When she messes up, again, the only friendly person who is there for her is Michael, a gorgeous guy she meets at the conference. They talk, drink, spend the night together (not in same bed). Next morning, Evie gets a phone call from her grandparents. Their home in Cupid's Way is in danger. A big firm is trying to buy the whole street and build a medical center. The lovely Victorian terrace is a home of ...more
Simona
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Book provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Evie is not really happy with her job and her love life sucks. She has to speak at a conference and that’s where she meets lovely Michael. The two of them get along really well and there is a connection between them from the beginning. She even finds herself telling him something about her job nobody knows.

When he suddenly has to leave, she is confused, but she’ll found out soon enough. Evie goes to Bristol to help her grandparent’s s
Martina Munzittu
I find that there are two types of books I read. There are the ones that I start reading, I like them, and every time I go back to where I left, it's like picking up a conversation with an old friend. Then there are the books I really like, the ones I absolutely love, the ones I miss throughout the day, and I can't wait to go back to them because I miss that conversation, that dialogue, that story that I was being told. Cupid's Way falls into this second category.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly wh
Jo Hughes
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank author for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

We meet Evie as she is on the train to go to a conference in Cardiff, one disaster after another and she arrives late for the speech she is giving. This is where she meets Michael Andrews the CEO of Dynamite Construction, little does she know that in less than 24 hours they will be on the opposite side of Cupids Way fence.

Cupids Way is a row of Victorian Terraces in Bristol, there is a real s
Maria
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and I was impressed at how the author was able to create a very believable community with the residents of Cupid's Way.

This story is mainly about the character Evie Stone and her attempts to help out her grandparents who live at Cupid's Way. The Victorian terrace is at risk of being demolished when a company with ideas about how to develop the area shows an interest in buying out the properties.

Cupid's Way contains just the right amount of en
Julie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the very beginning I loved Evie Stone – the fact that she tries to boost herself up but is full of self doubt and criticism too – all this makes her very human. It makes a pleasant change to read about somebody who is not perfect. Then there are all the quirky characters from Cupid’s Way – so realistically portrayed that I’m sure you’ll find someone you recognize there. The plot in itself is fairly predictable but Joanne Phillips makes it look easy and as I know to my cost, writing a humoro ...more
Rachel Cotterill
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2015
Evie meets Michael at a conference, but she doesn't realise he's the CEO of the property developers looking to bulldoze the terrace where her grandparents have lived for years. As Evie sets about a campaign to save their street, she keeps crossing paths with Michael - and neither of them can deny the inconvenient mutual attraction. Charming, easy-reading romance.
Sarah Watson
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
a good read
Shaz Goodwin
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Evie is on the train, on her way to deliver a talk at the Go Green conference on behalf of her architecture employer. Inference is there is something draining in her life with bags under her eyes and she is so tired.

Falling asleep, she misses her stop and has to get off at the next one and make her way back.

Checking in to Reception, there’s another attendee there, Michael. After the rudeness of the receptionist, Michael is polite and helpful. She finds out he’s been sent to see if she’s arrived.
MoHurley
AKA A Cat Called Cupid: A Romantic Comedy Novella
A sweet, simplistic short story about a clever cat named Cupid who lives up to his name and sets his Lady Ann up with a new boyfriend as she has purrfectly dreadful taste in men. Bella, a green-eyed Siamese, Cupid's lady cat love interest, has a nice owner, a downstairs neighbor, Craig, who's slovenly and single, so Cupid sets them up.

The short story is told from the cat's point of view. Lawyer Craig is a slob and her previous boyfriend, Jimmy t
Rosie Amber
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cupid's Way is a cosy romance set in Bristol, UK. Evie Stone is due a couple of weeks holiday where she'll help her Grandparents attend a meeting about the future of their house. But first she must give a talk at a Go Green Conference for her boss in Cardiff. She's late because she fell asleep on the train and she arrives flustered.

A lovely man called Michael finds her in reception and helps her arrive in time to present her lecture on "Cladding For The Cost Conscious". With a storm blowing in,
Lisa Crane
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Cupid's Way is a sweet story with a good premise. Two people on opposite sides of a battle to save or tear down a small community.

What worked for me: Good, strong characters, especially the H/h. I did find Evie's grandmother, Mavis, irritated me in nearly every scene in which she was included, but other than that, I liked the people of Cupid's Way. Michael, I felt, was an especially strong hero, torn as he was between his job and his growing feelings for Evie. And every single time he called her
Annette
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Evie’s grandparents live on Cupid’s Way. Cupid’s Way is a street of Victorian homes which has some residents who have lived there all their lives. But now the street is threatened with demolition for a medical center and more modern housing.

For her job, Evie must give a presentation at a conference and while there she meets a lovely man named Michael. She and Michael have an immediate connection which is so strong it makes her rethink her decision to give up men forever.

(Spoiler)
When Evie finds
Elaine Jeremiah
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Evie Stone is determined to save the Victorian terraced street her grandparents live in. But things get complicated when she meets the CEO of the developers, Michael Andrews. They're immediately attracted to each other. Can Evie and Michael even have a relationship? And can Cupid's Way be saved?

I thought this was a lovely, well told romance with a difference, the difference being the numerous memorable characters who populate Cupid's Way, not least Evie's grandparents. I thought the author portr
Erin
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Cupid's Way from the author, Joanne Phillips via Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

And... I found it thoroughly enjoyable!

This novel moves at a fairly quick pace, which I appreciate. The story is full of characters who are eccentric and believable. I suppose it was obvious that a conclusion would work out for the neighbourhood the story involves, however, it was interesting to see the plot unfold and discover the spirit of the community members.

Cupid's Way is an ent
Pauline
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-author
Joanne Phillips has done a terrific job with this book. Her fans already know they can rely on her for smooth-flowing writing, realistic dialogue and pleasing plots, but in this novel she adds a diverse cast of supporting characters to a simple but engaging central problem. Throw in a love story, with a protagonist whose own life needs a bit of a shake up, and we have the ideal recipe for an entertaining and engaging read. I don't know if Phillips plans more books set in Cupid's Way, but there i ...more
Carol Cooper
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Warm and frothy like a good cappuccino, but a little too much sugar. It's a thoroughly fun romance, interspersed with some more serious issues that vividly recalled my own recent battles against planning applications... I found the end a little too neat, but I enjoyed the book very much none the less.
Nishant
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Can't believe I persisted to read through the book. The first 200 pages read like they have been written by a teenager with a poor grasp of creating a plot. It becomes a little interesting towards the end, but only because humans crave for a happy ending.
Sarah W
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really struggled with this book. Unbelievably twee and overly sentimental, I don't think there was a single character I actually liked and that didn't infuriate me. From the reviews I can see lots of people liked it, it just wasn't for me.
Alison
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun, sweet contemporary romance with an interesting storyline on trying to save a row of Victorian houses - i.e Cupid's Way.

I would have liked a bit more interaction between the h/h, but it had a satisfying end.
Julie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With a quirky main character and suave leading man, the reader takes sides in a fight to save homes that are supposed to be destroyed while hoping for a solution between the two, so the leaders can be a couple. This is a romance with that great push and pull between characters that I love.
Leah
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Sort of cute, but I got bored after the beginning. Evie just seems rather dumb to me. I don't see why they can't just sell their house and move somewhere else.
Joan
Sweet and enjoyable. Chick-lit with a bit of bite. Strong 3 stars.
Pawan Pandey
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book

Must read to know about why not to make concrete jungle a fantasy , get hold of it and read now.
Abby
Sweet story. All works out in the end of course!
Sonia
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun read. It dragged a little in the middle - made me wonder if it was ever going to get to the end - but the beginning and ending was the best. I really enjoyed both.
Carly

• Naebody's Hero
  • The Aunt Sally Team
  • The Piano Player's Son
  • Snapped
  • Love Is Relative (Defining Love, #1)
  • doG Backwards
  • Don't Look At Me In That Tone Of Voice!: Memories of a Confused Sixties Childhood
  • Holly & Ivey
  • Alaska or Bust
  • The Born Again Virgin
Joanne Phillips lives Cheshire, England with her nine-year-old daughter Lulu, and spends her days (and often nights!) writing commercial fiction, romantic comedies and contemporary mysteries. Her first novel, Can’t Live Without, was an Amazon top 100 bestseller in 2012, and the stand-alone sequel, The Family Trap, won the coveted SpaSpa award in 2013 for Best Romantic Comedy.

Joanne developed a lov