Start by marking “The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #1)

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest

(A Medieval Fairy Tale #1)

A beautiful maiden who poaches to feed the poor.

A handsome forester on a mission to catch her.

Danger and love are about to unite in Thornbeck Forest.

The margrave owns the finest hunting grounds for miles around—and who teaches children to read, but by night this young beauty has become the secret lifeline to the poorest of the poor.

For Jorgen Hartman, the margrave’s forest
Published May 12th 2015 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest, please sign up.
Melanie Dickerson The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest is the first book in a new series. It's based on Swan Lake and Robin Hood.
BUT, The Princess Spy, which comes out in…more
BUT, The Princess Spy, which comes out in November, connects The Merchant's Daughter to the rest of the books, because the hero is Colin le Wyse, the grandson of Ranulf and Annabel, and the heroine is Margaretha, the sister of Gabe and Valten. :-)(less)
Melanie Dickerson Hi, Coralie! I like Zondervan too! :-) It was a business decision, based on the fact that I wanted to write more than one book per year and Thomas…moreHi, Coralie! I like Zondervan too! :-) It was a business decision, based on the fact that I wanted to write more than one book per year and Thomas Nelson offered me the opportunity to do that. But it's all good. I think you will like Thomas Nelson's handling of my books just as much. They have excellent editors. Both are top-notch publishers and are actually both under the umbrella of HarperCollins Christian Publishing.(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I had such high hopes for this book. I love stories that involve female's that don't just stand around. Odette takes her bow and arrow into the woods and slays for food for the town's poor children.

She herself is now rich but was orphaned and had faced poverty before. So she has a heart. She does not enjoy the killing but needs to feed the kiddies.
Then a new forester is appointed to guard the margrave's woods. Jorgen meets Odette at a Midsummer Nights festival and they both are moony eyed over
Abigayle Claire
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
While perhaps too much of a romance for some readers, the originality the author brought to two familiar and distinct tales (Robin Hood & The Swan Princess) was admirable. The medieval setting was vibrant the plot a perfect mix of suspense, intrigue, and satisfaction. I enjoyed all of the characters, for being just stereotypical enough to picture, but unique enough to hold my attention and keep me wondering at their motives. I look forward to reading more by this author!
Shantelle
Melanie Dickerson's beautiful, romantic fairytales have once again captured my heart! ^_^ Though some of her books I don't enjoy quite as much as others, I always like reading by Melanie! And The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest was definitely a five-star for me!

Mixing Robin Hood and Swan Lake, Melanie creates a lovely, poignant retelling set in the medieval day (non-magical). Odette is a young woman living with her wealthy uncle; yet determined to poach the king's deer in order to feed the poor chi
nicklein
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Incredibly adorable.
J.C. Morrows
I LOVE being a book reviewer!

Thomas Nelson has made an excellent choice with Melanie’s newest story and they’ve made this fan a very happy reader!

“I could hardly wait to get my hands on this one and once I did, I couldn’t read it fast enough!”

Melanie Dickerson tells – or I should say retells – fairy tales better than anyone else I’ve ever read!

Once you start reading, you won’t be able to put it down either. Not only are the stories fascinating, the characters are exceptionally crafted and the fa
Sierra Faith
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fairy-tales

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson.

Genre(s): Christian, Romance.

Favorite Quote: Jorgen kissed her like a man dying of thirst and she was the only source of water.

Age Range: I would recommend this to ages 13+ due to hunting and romance.

POV: Switches between Odette and Jorgen.

Stars: 5/5

I was super impressed by this book. Melanie's other books are YA and she did a fantastic job of transitioning to an adult story. I enjoy Melanie's characters and her writing.

I love Odette's person
Haley S
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book but I still really want to READ it! The whole story was amazing but the reader was horrible. She had a monotone voice and her accent was hard to understand. She never took a pause between paragraphs. Because of that I want to read it instead of listen.
Okay, so I finally read this book!! It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that it wasn't before!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“A Beautiful Maiden who Poaches to Feed the Poor.
A Handsome Forester on a Mission to Catch Her.
Danger and Love Are About To Unite in Thornbeck Forest.
The margrave owns the finest hunting grounds for miles around—and Odette Menkels spends her nights poaching his deer to feed the hungry orphans of Thornbeck. By day, Odette is a simple maiden who teaches children to read, but by night this young beauty has become the secret lifeline to the poorest of the poor.
For Jorgen Hartman,
Charity Andrews
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me be clear. This is Melanie’s best book yet.

As you probably know, her books are based off of fairy tales. This one is a reversed Robin Hood story where a female, Odette, is a poacher in the king’s forest. She is only acting as such to provide for the poor. Of course, the man she falls in love with happens to be the forester hired to keep poachers off the land. Ahhh…Thus we have a great story!

What I really love about this book is how faithful the characters are. They seek God and both are ma
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Religion, love, family, crime, hunting.

This was a bit of a love-hate read for me. But ultimately I didn't really enjoy it that much. It wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't read more by the author, I'm very likely to pick something she's written in future.

An awful lot of this story felt forced and because of that it wasn't a fluid read. Then there was the fact that I actually studied this time and place in history at college, so I just knew too much. At first this was great, I knew the con
Galaxy Adventurer
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*happy sigh* this book was amazing, I will try and have a review up soon! =)

Review:
*warning this review may contain spoilers*

(view spoiler)
C.B. Cook
This book was pretty good. I enjoyed the plot and the characters, but it was a little predictable to me... or maybe I've just read too many of Melanie's books. ;) Really enjoyed it, though. For some reason I was thinking that it was a Robin Hood and Cinderella crossover, and I saw a little of that in there, but I'm still not sure...
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

An Atheist Reads Christian Medieval Romantic Fiction

First of all, why would an atheist read Christian romance? Apart from the fact that it’s absolutely no one’s business but my own what I read, I do actually have a reason for trying this. I know that Christian fiction is generally clean content-wise, with heat rising from perhaps a forbidden kiss but no sex before marriage. Since I was sexually assaulted as a child and didn’t lose my vir
Muse-ic ♬
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
*starts awakes*

What?? Whaddidimiss?!

Answer: pretty much nothing

It took me forever to get through this book.
And by "forever" I mean about a week and a half.
I was so bored most of the time.
It wasn't a terrible premise, but just the way this book was written and the pacing didn't make it enticing for me.

The pacing felt very strange. It was fast enough that I didn't really get a feel for any of the characters but slow enough that I was bored to death. Maybe I w
Rachel McMillan
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is a reason that Dickerson continues to be one of the most accessible voices in the current CBA. Her books, well-placed in their time period, offer a unique and historically accurate glimpse of faith. Challenges are woven throughout that force deeper thought and introspection through subtle weaving rather than over italicized prayers. While Dickerson has found a strong audience with her books for Young Adults (gobbled equally by adults!), Huntress is a somewhat more mature read that allows ...more
Emma Fleming
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how amazing this book was. Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous cover. Dickerson hit it on the spot with this wonderful book. *MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

First of all, can we please talk about how beautiful the front cover is? I mean all of Dickerson's books have beautiful covers on them, but this perfectly portrays who Odette is. Dickerson is quite the author herself and I hope that one day her books become movies. It truly is such an honor to know an amazing author such as Me
Noela
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest is an exquisite heart-stirring tale that emerges from a creative fusing of two timeless classics ~ Swan Lake and Robin Hood. Taking place during the year 1363 in the German reaches of the Holy Roman Empire, the ambience is detailed with a castle and its dungeon, the wealthy in stark contrast with the desperately poor, fair maidens with flowers in their hair, the common marktplatz, jugglers, and the joyous midsummer night dance. This is fairy tale escapism with ev ...more
Amy
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
And down we go again.
*sigh*
There was nothing particularly bad about The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest. It certainly had a great premise and the incorporation of the Swan Princess was clever. The Christian themes are prevalent but not overwhelming. The characters don't pray/kiss (one of my biggest pet peeves...where characters make out while simultaneously thank God for the attractiveness of their partner...) I also like that the girl is the wealthier/higher person. It was a switch from the usual
Zane Jones
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Ehh. The romance was a bit much for me. Instalove, focus on physical attraction, and a lot of kissy stuff. (If you kiss him ONE MORE TIME...!!!) But I (mostly) enjoyed the story and wouldn't be opposed to reading other books by this author. And I did love some pieces of it. So. Yeah.
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest ( A Medieval Fairy Tale )
by: Melanie Dickerson
Wow, What a story, The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest is the best book that I have read in a while . Melanie Dickerson weaves together a Medieval fairy tale based on Swan Lake and Robin Hood. I would say that this book is more for a broader audience and not just for the young. The Huntress grabbed me right at the first and did not let go till the end ,and then was sad to see it end. It seem like I could not read fast en
Molly Anderson
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is such a good book!! I loved the characters and the plot!!! 4.5 stars!!!
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
As much as i would love to say that i loved the book, i can't really admit to it.

As much as it's against me to rate a book before finishing (i have no idea if this is true or not, i don't have standards), i had to rate this book. I really wanted to like it, but it was impossible for me to even remotely get close to it. Our main character (who's name i will not utter because i don't remember it) is greatly liked by everyone.

•She's rich, yet she cares for the poor. The guy she likes also care for
Sep 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I will try not to rant, as I think some of the reason I didn't like the story was my mood, but I also have to be honest and say I thought this was Dickerson's weakest story.

The was very apathetic to the whole story from the beginning it felt forced and even dumb in places.

My biggest complaint is actually a theological point which brought the book from three stars to one. (view spoiler)
Hannah
I had to wait months to get this from the library because there were so many people ahead of me on the holds. It's well worth the wait! A delightfully pleasant retelling of a fairy tale that left me feeling satisfied and ready to grab the next Dickerson book I have an opportunity to read...very clean and with some excellent points about what true charity really is. Highly recommended for all ages.
Deborah O'Carroll
THE HUNTRESS OF THORNBECK FOREST is quite an enjoyable read, one I accomplished in most of an afternoon. The writing seems at times almost deceptively simple, but perfect for the book, painting a rich tale of a young woman and a young man as they seek love, purpose, and God's will amid mysterious plots against the gorgeous backdrop of medieval Germany.

I loved the main characters, Odette and Jorgen, and their well-written struggles. Odette had a little bit of growing on me to do, but I soon found
Faith
*happy sigh* Ahhh, this is such an amazing book – with a delightful and satisfying ending!! :) I had heard a lot of good about Melanie Dickerson's novels, but I hadn't tried one until last month. Everyone was so right! Her books (so far, anyways) are AMAZING. So sweet and lovely!! :D This was my first, I've read one since it, and I can't wait to read more! :)

I think of this book as a sort of different twist on the classic tale of 'Robin Hood'. I haven't read Robin Hood, but I know the general s
Melanie Kilsby
She has a heart of gold trying to do what is right by giving to the poor. He has memories that haunt him and is given the chance of a life-time, catch and kill the notorious poacher!

This creative story, masterly parallels Robin hood and The Swan Princess with such a different result than what you would expect. How I love the story of faith that drives these great characters towards what they know to be right. Fascinating!
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
3 1/2 stars. Review to come.
Sarah Amelia
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-by-me
Really good! The setting and characters were amazing and well developed.
Rissa
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐ ...more
My YA Obsession: Dickerson's New Series 1 5 Jun 07, 2018 09:10AM
Christian Teen Books: Great Recent Teen Fantasy Releases 1 5 May 09, 2018 09:02AM
Book Review #3 1 3 Oct 24, 2017 05:23PM
What if your favorite book by Melanie Dickerson? 1 8 Jan 04, 2017 12:56PM
Melanie Dickerson...: The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest 165 48 Jun 07, 2016 01:16PM
Free Book Giveaway: Giveaway: The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (Ends 5/9) 1 7 May 04, 2015 10:46AM
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
  • For Castle and Crown
  • Dauntless (Valiant Hearts, #1)
  • A Duke's Promise (Forgotten Castles #3)
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • An Elegant Façade (Hawthorne House, #2)
  • Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #3)
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • Prelude for a Lord (The Gentlemen Quartet, #1)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • Deception on Sable Hill (Chicago World's Fair Mystery, #2)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Faerie Tale Collection, #2)
Melanie Dickerson is a New York Times bestselling author, a two-time Christy Award finalist, two-time Maggie Award winner, Carol Award winner, two-time winner of the Christian Retailing's Best award, and her book, The Healer's Apprentice, won the National Readers Choice Award for Best First Book. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). Mel ...more

A Medieval Fairy Tale (3 books)
  • The Beautiful Pretender (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #2)
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #3)
“He had danced with fair maidens before, but Odette was different. She was graceful and beautiful, but there was something in her eyes and in the things she said, an intelligence and a boldness that belied her quiet demeanor.” 9 likes
“The world needs more people like you, Odette." She smiled to lighten the mood."And you, Jorgen Hortman.” 7 likes