Start by marking “You Have a Brain: A Teen's Guide to T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G.” as Want to Read:
You Have a Brain: A Teen's Guide to T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G.

You Have a Brain: A Teen's Guide to T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G.

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  523 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Throughout his life, renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Benjamin Carson has needed to overcome many obstacles: His father leaving the family; being considered stupid by his classmates in grade school; growing up in inner-city Detroit; and having a violent temper. But Dr. Carson didn't let his circumstances control him, and instead discovered eight principles that helped shape his f ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by Zondervan (first published January 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about You Have a Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have a Brain

Michele Morin
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even if Ben Carson’s mother had foreknown her son’s future as a neurosurgeon, she could hardly have come up with a more fitting rhetorical question to challenge him throughout his childhood: “Do you have a brain?” Mrs. Carson never doubted the affirmative response to that question, and the resulting story is one that deserves to be told, as much for the re-telling of Dr. Carson’s remarkable life as for the revelation of Sonya Carson’s mothering style that anchored her two sons.

Ben Carson got off
Katie Gordon
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone! it is meant for teenagers, but I think anyone will enjoy this story and become a better person because of it.
Lizzie Lashbrook
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good reminder of how reading can change someone's future, and teach them to use their brain in ways they never thought of before. Also how to determine and develop your God given talent for the good of others. I liked the Think Big statement in this book that is an acronym for
T - Talent

I - In-depth learning
G - God
Jerry
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I'm well past my teenage years. Still, I found this book to be the most inspiring one--other than the Bible, of course--that I've read in a long time. I saw the telefilm Gifted Hands, so, I knew Dr. Carson's story, but, to hear him tell it himself and share what he learned, as well as steps to success, made for wonderful reading. If you're stuck in a rut, I recommend this book to you.
Thais Winzen
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
inspirational and deeply moving!

Since I had very little knowledge of the author, I picked up this book to help my son gather background information on Dr. Carson for an essay he's writing. I didn't expect it would be such an inspiring book for myself as a mother! I highly recommend this book to parents and teens! A must read!
Geoffrey Abrams
I wish most of the young people can read this book. Yes, we all have BRAINs and it is important that we should THINK BIG!
Jaina Rose
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
4.5 stars. I'm just really stingy with my fives. This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

It's highly misleading of the synopsis to suggest that the mnemonic is the focus of the entire book. He doesn't even mention it until over halfway through! He spends the first half of the book explaining his own humble beginnings and tracing his path to success. Then he turns around and tells the reader how "you too can become a famous neurosurgeon by following this one simple trick!"

Haha, n
Kari
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves more than 5 stars, maybe 9 or 150 or something.

I kept liking how he chose to put things more with every page, but I was still so pleasantly surprised by the second to last page turn, where I saw at the bottom, "It's all right to live by godly principles." I don't care who you are; these days, even the most religious people, when they write for as general an audience as Dr. Carson does, don't really use that adjective. And even though I shouldn't underestimate him by now, I wou
Michael DiPaolo
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Fantastic book. It's written for a teenage audience, so the chapters are short and the reading is easy. He still uses some good vocabulary words though.

The first half is a brief autobiographical account that sets the reader up for his lessons on the eight parts of T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G. Dr. Carson did an amazing job of boiling down his entire life experience into eight very brief "lessons" or "principles." He has interesting stories from his own life or about people he knows, and he'll keep your inte
Jasmine Brandt
Not being much of a nonfiction fan, I happened to see this in a Walmart store and thought, "Ok, I only buy books if they are on sale or in a used bookstore, or something except full price in store for a brand new book!" So, being me, I made a mental note to get it from the library.
And I did.
And I'm so glad I did.
This book is so touching, not like some other "motivational/inspirational" books you read. He starts out raw, honest, and simple. He tells his story. Then, gradually, he explains his pri
J.C. Morrows
WOW!

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Ben Carson is not only a gifted surgeon, he is a wonderful writer – funny, interesting and this book is exceptionally difficult to put down.

Even the descriptions of brain surgery, which should be nothing but gross, had my complete attention because they were phrased in such a way that made them interesting but not at all gross or disgusting.

And the stories about Dr. Carson’s mother… WOW!

No wonder he is such an intelligent and learned man – she is clearly a GENIUS!

I refuse to sp
Caitlyn Sahlberg
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone! It is written specifically for teenagers but adults could still enjoy this book. I am not a big reader, but this book was written clearly and it was very easy to read. Dr. Ben Carson gives advice on what things made him successful through the acronym T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G. The letters stand for Talent, Honesty, Insight, Being Nice, Knowledge, Books, In-Depth Learning, and God. The last chapters of the book go through each one of these topics in more detail. Thi ...more
Andy
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Ben provides very intriguing background information as he was growing up and how he made it to becoming a neurosurgeon. Ben provides the reader with his philosophy of T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G. and explains in detail each individual point.
He started out as the class dummy and eventually made it all the way up to an world renowned neurosurgeon. This book teaches how to use your brain to your full potential and really provides great insight on Ben Carson's views.
Amy Talbott
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Carson has some wonderful ideas that can benefit young and old alike from all financial backgrounds. Our society today is one that feels entitled to things they have not worked for, yet Dr. Carson reminds us that this country was founded by men and women who didn't assume others would do for them. in fact those men and women assumed it was their responsibility to Think Big to better themselves and our country.
Jackson Park
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like Ben Carson as a writer and public figure. I believe our nation needs a man like him as President. In this book he gives a brief synopsis of his story and then the simple principles he lives by that have pushed him towards success. Let's just say that this book inspires me to read more books.
Rachel Miller
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A great read!

Who knew Dr. Carson was so funny...

He presented his medical facts in a way that even someone like me could understand (and I was NOT grossed out either) and made the story so entertaining - it read almost like a wonderful fiction novel.

I will certainly be seeking out more books by this author!

And I know it has nothing to do with it but... I'd vote for him for president too!
Joseph Wengerd
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book starts a bit slowly and seems more like the work of a ghost writer in the early stages. As it progresses, it seems more heartfelt and is written better. Dr. Carson's chapters on books and in-depth learning are necessary for all young people to read. They give a wonderful perspective on the hard work and reward of learning.
Spence Van
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the outstanding book, You Have a Brain, authored by Dr. Ben Carson, he illustrates his life journey and the struggles he had to go through during his escape from poverty in order to become successful. Through his journey Carson offers an abundance of wisdom, life lessons, and a path to success through his acronym T.H.I.N.K.B.I.G. Carson’s life right from the beginning shows the struggle he will have to pave his way through by having resilience in himself. From the beginning of the book, to th ...more
Tirzah
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although no longer a teen, I found this book to be interesting and inspiring because people –whether kids, teens, or adults – are constantly learning and can always strive to be and to think bigger and better. I definitely think teens can benefit from reading it as Dr. Ben Carson offers useful advice on how to identify one’s strengths and constructively craft their strengths to use them for the good of the world.

Some highlights that especially jumped out at me:

Be careful not to confuse informa
Rebecca
Úžasný človek napísal úžasnú knihu. Píše v nej veľké pravdy a múdra, ktoré učí iba sám život a Boh. Tento človek je darom a máme sa od neho hodne, čo učiť.

Čo v knihe nájdeme? Autor píše o svojom živote, o tom ako vyrastal až po dospelosť. Je to jednoznačne jedinečný životný príbeh, v ktorom mala veľký vplyv jeho jedinečná a úžasná mama, vďaka ktorej sa stal tým, kým je. Nepíše len o tom dobrom, ale aj o tom, čo v živote spravil špatne a ako sa učil zo svojich chýb. Pre mňa ako študenta je pán do
Priscilla Cho
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was inspiring to see how Carson worked his way through many obstacles and hardships with the limited resources he was given. Even through these difficulties, he was still a kid. Sometimes I read inspirational novels and I believe that to achieve something great, one has to have a superhuman character. Carson shared that in the midst of working incredibly hard, he still had thoughts and moments that all kids have. It made the book very relatable.
Andreea
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Chiar daca se adreseaza in principal adolescentilor in cautarea unei directii in viata, lectura biografiei doctorului Carson si a principiilor sale - influentate de credinta crestina- poate fi un puternic motor motivational pentru orice persoana ce cauta sa isi foloseasca mai eficient potentialul si sa isi provoace limitele.
Cioranu Mariana
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O lectura draguta de duminca, motivationala, a carui filozofie de viata si reteta a succesului este : THINK BIG :
- T (TALENT)
-H (HONESTY)
- I (INSIGHT)
- N (NICE)
- K (KNOWLEDGE)

-B (BOOKS)
- I (IN-DEPTH LEARNING)
-G (GOD)
Ben Carson este un neurochirung de exceptie, un scriitor pe masura si a participat la alegerile prezidentiale in America in 2016.

Mrs Kelly Benning
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Dr. Carson's fascinating life is an inspiration. Every American should read how he rose from the depths of poverty to become one of the world's foremost pediatric brain surgeons. Equally impressive is his mother, an illiterate (albeit intelligent) woman from a family of 24 siblings, whose faith in Jesus Christ guided her as a single mother raising two sons in Detroit.
Edwin Martin
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this before wrapping and giving it to an Angel Tree teenager for Christmas. Carson gives a good overview of his life. Not sure how appealing it would be to an average American teen, but worth a try as a Christian giving some hope to the next generation.
Dyanna
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, spiritual
I really recommend this book especially to the young ones that are at the beginning of their profession. This gives a lot of advises that make you think and act but in the same time changes your life forever. So do not be afraid to THINK BIG!
Marguerite
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wonderful insightful book. Highly recommend.
Precy Oprah
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: moltivational
beast motivational book I've ever read
Leo
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silvia Magda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
Such a great man of God! I've read 5 books from him and I loved them all.
  • Dear Son: A Father's Advice on Being a Man
  • Balanced: Finding Center as a Work-at-Home Mom
  • Katie's Choice (Clover Ridge, #2)
  • You CAN Write 50,000 Words in 30 Days
  • Finding Unauthorized Faith in Harry Potter
  • A Simple Hope (Lancaster Crossroads #2)
  • Huckleberry Summer (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #2)
  • A Love Undone: An Amish Novel of Shattered Dreams and God's Unfailing Grace
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt (Seasons of the Heart #4.5)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Love Still Stands (New Hope Amish #1)
  • A Road Unknown (Amish Roads, #1)
  • The Eye of Adoption: The True Story of My Turbulent Wait for a Baby
  • A White Christmas in Webster County
  • The Desire (The Restoration Series, #3)
  • A Dream of Miracles (The Amish Wonders #3)
  • Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)
  • The Liberation (Emancipation Warriors, #2)
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital who never worked in a public hospital. He's one of the most and worst politician of Trump's administration used by a puppet because he's BLACK.

Ben Carson is the Housing and Urban Development Secretary, and he's the worst one we've ever seen. He already came into
More about Ben Carson
“We want to make decisions based on facts. Many people do not. They make their decisions based on what their momma says or what their daddy says or what their political party says — without engaging their brains.” 1 likes
“If you wouldn’t join in a mugging you saw taking place on a street, if you wouldn’t physically attack or verbally abuse and cruelly insult an acquaintance in your school, why would you ever ridicule or hurl vicious and hurtful words at a person online?” 0 likes