Start by marking “Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature” as Want to Read:

Peter Scazzero learned the hard way: you can't be spiritually mature while remaining emotionally immature. Even though he was a pastor of a growing church, he did what most people do:

Avoid conflict in the name of Christianity
Ignore his anger, sadness, and fear
Use God to run from God
Live without boundaries
Eventually God awakened him to a biblical integration of emotional
Published August 12th 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature
Oct 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Katy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I confess I didn't read the whole thing. I got half way through and didn't need to go further. What he writes about combining emotional health with contemplative practices is by no means new and his theology is bad. Henri Nowen is a much better source.
Jason Kanz
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I had not heard of Peter Scazzero's Emotionally Healthy Spirituality (2006) until a few months ago when a pastor friend of mine mentioned it in passing. Since then, when I have shared that I was reading this book, many friends and acquaintances told me how excellent it was. I am not sure why they left me in the dark so long.

As a pastor of a church, Scazzero was trying to lead through pure effort with no attention to his emotional life. Only when his relational life began to fray at the edges
Jillian Saldaña
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My leader prefaced this book by saying, “His own wife left the church he was Pastor of, because of the lack of emotional heath.” I was hooked, and also thoroughly impressed with Peter Scazzero’s wife, Geri. From beginning to end, this book honestly digs at you. It prompts you to be more aware of self, and to set out truthful ways of making your soul and heart more mature through God’s love. The content was so rich, but the practicality of it all is what I treasure most. I hope to keep copies of ...more
Sarah Malone
There are some solid thoughts and sentences in this book, but the overall ideas seem to get lost in the authors wordiness. I think the author took his personal life experiences and the way he resolved them, then used Scripture to support that. There are some good practices that he suggests, but they're not from the Bible.
T.M.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Had a few good points throughout, and some ideas for improvement, but most seemed to only scratch the surface of the topic. Overall, it seemed as if the book was more geared toward a preparation for getting into a deeper small group study through the related material on the subject. Still liked the book, but would have preferred a little more depth on the various subjects mentioned.
Johnna Boone
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think he has good principles in the book and it reminds me that I have far to go and grow. By far my favorite chapter was the one on the sabbath. I didn’t give it a 5 because sometimes I would question how he uses scripture- in my opinion, they were sometimes taken out of context.
Kayla
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
so so so so good

p.s. anna if you see this sorry for reading ahead ily
Jessica Gillies
Quite a few of the reviews on here commented that this book was not so flash theologically; I don't feel qualified to comment on that, nor comfortable rating the book for that reason. What I did enjoy about this was that it gives the reader permission address, rather than ignore and repress, their emotions- including the more negative ones. As someone who has been hurt by a church's interpretation of mental health issues in the past, this (alongside to be open and honest about doubts and ...more
Nathan Schneider
Surprisingly, very good. The thesis of the book is that one must be emotionally mature in order to be spiritually mature. And in order to be emotionally mature one should focus on introspection, spiritual priorities, and Sabbath rest.

The most helpful part of the book was the development of one's rhythms in life. How will you work the intake of Scripture into your life on a consistent basis? How will you prioritize prayer and solitude? Etc.
Even though this book was first published in 2014, I am just now getting my hands on it in 2019. How I wish I could go back in time and give myself a copy of it five years ago! It is a life-changing read that is bound to become a contemporary classic.

Peter Scazzero reveals how many of us are emotionally unhealthy, even though we may have spent years in church, attended Bible studies, formed a daily prayer habit, and practiced other Christian traditions. He hooks you with a powerful personal
Andy Montero
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first half of the book can be summarized as "Be authentic and present with God. Be authentic and honest with yourself. Be authentic and humble towards others."

Scazzero describes a right use for feelings, a better way to approach conflict and avoid "false peace," a return to living out of grace and healthy contemplative spiritual practices from the "Desert Fathers" to maintain it all.

Notable ideas/quotes I want to remember (though I may not be fully convinced):

- (speaking of David's sin with
Bethany
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
All and all, it was an easy read and had some practical advice that one could reflect + implement in his/her own life. Much of it felt like Scazzero was just re-iterating ideas from others and nothing was truly original content. I would not say anything he wrote about, I hadn’t already heard before. There were times that when reading this and listening to his study, I sometimes felt like he presented himself as having already arrived. I would be curious as to how this book would change if “ ...more
Brennan Penner
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book brings a lot to the surface to think through. My biggest regret with this book is what I find to be the lack of biblical basis for his conclusion. There are lots of good ideas but I failed to see a biblical root. He quotes monks and other religious figures who I am not confident would be considered biblicist. He uses them as evidence for his conclusions more than a scriptural basis. All in all, whether I agree with the book or not it gave me a lot to think about and the opportunity to ...more
Gabrielle Engle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was crucial! It could prove useful to the systematic health of church bodies and discipleship communities. In essence, we must stop using Jesus as a band-aid for our own emotional infancy. Particularly, for leaders in the church it is so easy to hide behind religious language and not do our work. This book provides practical tools such as a creating a genogram and fostering a rule of life. These tools have been helpful in my own journey. It was a quick read but the work this book ...more
Jillian Armstrong
I finished this book but I’ll for sure be revisiting parts of it to apply it to my life. I feel like this is a book that should be read by every Christian! I have witnessed and caused hurt to others because of emotionally immaturity, I think as believers we could really benefit from growing in understanding our/others unique identity and calling in light of God’s love.
Jenelle Hovde
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Christian. Oh, I wish I had read this book fifteen years ago. It is worth buying in paper and keeping on the bookshelf. I read it a year ago. Peter Scazzero writes with tremendous compassion. Encouraging and challenging.
Leslie Hall
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Required reading in your apprenticeship to Jesus
Justin Hawk
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Has some great concepts and functions well as a small group discussion but didn't love it as a stand alone read.
Gavin Breeden
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First, this book confirmed something I've been suspicious of for quite some time: I'm not all that emotionally healthy. Second, this book game me a bunch of tools to cultivate an emotionally healthy spirituality. Life-changer. Highly recommended.
Suzi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I normally choose fiction novels over self-help, but I’m glad I picked up this little piece. Scazzero’s book is honest, his stories raw, and his wisdom unpretentious. The real challenge begins now, beyond the back cover, as I attempt to implement these truths, and accept the inevitable mess along the way to emotionally healthy spirituality.
Gabrielle Prose
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I’m grateful to have read this book! I was so curious & excited to hear what was coming next as I read it the first time, and I cannot wait to go back slowly though again. I feel short for words to express how I have been challenged by this book. It is going on my favorite reads list! I highly recommend to everyone.
Ty Sharron
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Content is great. Not always super interesting, and sometimes a bit drawn out. But potentially life-changing stuff if you’re ready for it and seeking it out. Would recommend more as a gateway to the journey.
Jane
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, Richard Fosters book on Prayer and a recent sermon preached by my husband are all really meeting me right where I'm at in my spiritual journey. I am going to buy a hard copy of this book because I really feel I need to revisit it. I especially loved the final chapters and believe that my personality lends itself to this approach to life.

My mum was brought up brethren and my dad baptist. We attended a Presbyterian church and then an Anglican and then back to Presbyterian (these
Allie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Read as part of a church-wide series. This was okay, not great, in my opinion. Personally, I thought Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life was better at explaining some of this content, and was more practical in application. My biggest issue with this book was that it didn't go far enough in its applicability. A lot of personal anecdotes, a lot of monasticism and text from religious figures throughout history, a little scripture (but not nearly enough to make ...more
Alex
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I'll give this one 3/5. It was honestly hard at points for me to read this book. I kept coming back to feeling like his points weren't fully fleshed out and weren't deeply rooted in scripture. He made reference to scripture sparingly so it made it seem like the reason behind his message wasn't fully motivated by the text but often as a means to further his ideas (which aren't horrible). Often when reading I would gain some good insight into what it means to be "emotionally healthy," but then the ...more
Megan
I read this nearly all in one day--not because it was that good, but because I was trying to read it before our new book club discussed it. This is not the kind of book to hurry through; it would have been preferable to take some time and think through it.
It was pretty good--the biggest takeaway for me was to try to align your inner life with your outer beliefs and to take time out daily to prioritize your spiritual development and growth.
There were some stories from the pastor that have really
Kaitlin
This book offers a lot of good advice, but fails to ground itself in Scripture. Instead, the author seems to prefer the traditions of several monastic societies. While he quotes Godly men, he leaves their quotes either open for interpretation or interprets them through his worldview. I also find his writing style a bit sloppy and cumbersome. I read the updated 2017 version, and it still lacks much-needed editing. This is not a book I would ever recommend, but I still encountered some ...more
Hannah
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has some good nuggets of wisdom but overall, too heavy on personal experience and early church historians/monks/fathers and not heavy enough on scripture. I particularly disliked his statement that “to know god, we must know ourselves” which is totally not true, we know God from scripture which also tells us who we are. I did really appreciate the chapter on families of origins and how they affect our emotions/sin patterns/view of God. chapter 7 had some good points as well, but again, ...more
Hope
Feb 22, 2016 added it
A class at my church read and worked through this book for the past ~4 months. While I really dislike the title, I, unfortunately, do not have another suggestion for the author. The material covered in the book, though, is fabulous! I really appreciate the author's perspectives and all that he shared. I have learned a lot from this book, and I have benefitted from the discussions that have resulted from it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Emotionally Healthy Woman: Eight Things You Have to Quit to Change Your Life
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • The Relational Soul: Moving from False Self to Deep Connection
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
  • The Emotionally Healthy Woman Workbook: Eight Things You Have to Quit to Change Your Life
  • Life Without Lack: Living in the Fullness of Psalm 23
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • Reappearing Church: The Hope for Renewal in the Rise of Our Post-Christian Culture
  • The God Ask
  • Letters to the Church
  • God Has a Name
  • The Sacred Enneagram: Finding Your Unique Path to Spiritual Growth
  • Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation
“When genuine love is released in a relationship, God’s presence is manifest.” 6 likes
“Loving well is the goal of the Christian life.” 4 likes