Start by marking “Dog Crazy: A Novel of Love Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
Dog Crazy: A Novel of Love Lost and Found

Dog Crazy: A Novel of Love Lost and Found

The USA Today bestselling author of How to Eat a Cupcake and All the Summer Girls returns with an unforgettably poignant and funny tale of love and loss, confronting our fears, and moving on . . . with the help of a poodle, a mutt, and a Basset retriever named Seymour

Published March 10th 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Dog Crazy, please sign up.
Courtney Stout There are several uses of the word f**k (in all forms), so one may want to be aware of that in advance.

Bark
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, dogs
This book features a heroine who is a grief counselor for pet owners but who also suffers from debilitating panic attacks. Don't ask me why I decided to read this next when all I wanted was a happy book. I am easily seduced by cute puppies and didn't bother to read the synopsis. Cute puppies? How could it possibly be sad? So it’s my own damn fault, as usual, and I only have myself to blame.If you’ve ever loved and lost a dog this one has the ability to bleed you out by a million small cuts. Heed ...more
TL
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a theory among books that I think applies to other things too, this was brought to my attention regarding the former by a good friend of mine and I think it fits so I will paraphrase: Certain things (people, dogs, books. music) come to you at the time when you need and for a reason.

This book snagged me almost right away... Maggie's profession is pet bereavement therapist and she's a dog lover to boot. Those two things endeared me to her quick.
The things she said about grieving and rela
Ian
When Maggie moves across the country it's for a fresh start and to open her own practice as a grief counselor specialising in the grief of losing a beloved pet. Then her dog suddenly dies and her fresh start comes to a shuddering halt and she is crushed with anxiety. Agoraphobia, mysophobia, fear of heights and social anxiety have all worked together to make her a prisoner within her home.

Then Anya, a surly young woman meets her at the insistence of her older brother. Anya insists that her dog
Carol Brill
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Dog Crazy" is an enjoyable easy read about love, loss, hope, a touch of suspense and romance, and of course, dogs.

There's a cast of vulnerable and likeable characters. Don't be put off that some of those characters are dogs. You do not have to be a dog person to enjoy this book.
Maggie Brennan who is a dog bereavement counselor and recently moved to San Francisco to live in her best friend, Lourdes's refurnished duplex. Shortly have getting there her beloved dog, Toby dies> Maggie suffers fr
Stephanie Fitzgerald
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult dog lovers!
Shelves: donated
Maggie is great at helping grieving people cope with the loss of their pets. People seek her out as their counselor frequently, which gives her hope that this career move will be successful. Only problem is, Maggie could use some therapy of her own. She’s mourning the loss of her own beloved dog, and her agoraphobia has gone out of control because of it.
A beautiful story about how much absolute joy pets can add to our lives, and also about the emptiness that comes when they leave us.
Jenn O'Brien
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love dogs. I love books about dogs and the people who love them. With that said, I had a hard time getting through this one. The writing itself is good. I loved the setting. The characters were interesting. And the story itself was decent, but just not for me. It is more of a story of the main character getting over her own issues with the help of dogs (of course.)

I've said this more than once and I'll continue to say it again, drives. me. bonkers. when book covers feature images of dogs that
Tonya
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads

As a pet bereavement counselor, Maggie Brennan uses a combination of empathy, insight, and humor to help patients cope with the anguish of losing their beloved four-legged friends. Though she has a gift for guiding others through di
Andrea Guy
I don't know what I was expecting when it came to Dog Crazy, but it sure wasn't what I got. Before you get scared and step away, what I got was a wonderful read that really made me laugh and cry and generally feel wonderful while turning the pages.

This is definitely a novel for dog lovers or animal lovers. Anyone that doesn't know the love a dog/cat etc definitely would not "get" this book.

Maggie is a pet bereavement counselor who could stand some counseling. Anya lost her dog, Billy who eithe
Lisa
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy, light read for me, though having recently lost a dog, it had me teary-eyed in places. The main character is likable, quirky, and has a deep love for helping dogs and people. Set in San Francisco, the story has beautiful, scenic images of the cityscape and its landmarks, and the author includes some insightful takeaways that are worth highlighting. The best writing is where the author describes the dogs of the story to make it feel as if they are in the room with the reader!
Heather
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good read for dog-lovers everywhere. Maggie moves to San Francisco and starts a dog bereavement counseling business out of her apartment. Only Maggie suffers from agoraphobia and hasn't been outside her apartment gate since her dog died 100 days before. Yet she puts on a brave face for her clients. That is until she meets Anya who has been searching for her own lost dog. In order to make headway with Anya, Maggie has to accompany her on her daily quests searching for her dog. How can she do th ...more
Andy Plonka
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
This is the second book I have read lately where one of the main characters is afflicted with (Is this the way to phrase the condition?) Agoraphobia. I liked this one better than the other because the character was actively trying to deal with her problem instead of resorting to medication or believing it was someone's else's job to help her. The dog connection was well done.
Lynn
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This proved to be a much more interesting read than I was expecting! I really like Donohue's writing! Will definitely be reading more of her books!!
Lynnie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
"Sometimes grief cuts us off from the people and activities we love for the simple reason that we don't want to feel happy, which feels too much like moving on" (Donahue 101).
Bella's Books
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The bad man took the dog from her hooman, the Anya.
The Maggie is helping the Anya find the dog.
Kerry
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I preface this by saying I own a rescue dog, I will always have a dog and love all dogs.

Anya walks into Maggie office, a pet bereavement counselor, after her brother pushed her when her dog was lost/stolen. Maggie has her own struggles but decides to help Anya search for her dog. She uses the help of her best friends dog, as her own personal therapy dog. Anya is stubborn and convinced her dog was stolen even though her family doesn't believe her. So many emotions in this story, so many great ch
Cindy. Brown
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly what I needed. My copy was gifted to me by a friend who knew I was struggling with the loss of my Pitt Bull. Donohue’s story hits everything that I felt. How to overcome such a loss when your pet in more than just an animal but a family member.
Bethe
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic-fict
Bookaday #26. Sweet and light romance about dog lovers. Pet peeve when the cover art has nothing to do with the story - no wagon full of lab puppies!
Dorothy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this a disappointing read and in fact I did not finish it.
Allie Larkin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Anyone who has ever loved and lost a dog will find wisdom and comfort in this sweet, smart story.
Lili Naghdi
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great work from Meg! I really liked it.
Carol Boyer
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a dog lover and I loved this book, nothing can describe the emotions like Meg Donohue has captured, they are so true for anyone whose heart has belonged to a dog. Maggie is a grief counselor and helps those who are dealing with the loss or death of a dog. Not only must she help Anya who has lost her dog Billy, but she also has found that in doing so she needs to leave her house and go outside....there is a poignant loss of her own dog Toby she can not get over, without having panic attacks, ...more
Denise Westlake
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
..dogs make us bettet (18).
GRIEF is a shapeshifter. Sometimes the shape it takes is fog so thick and gray that you find yourself forgetting the places where you once saw color (137). Sometimes GRIEF cuts us off from people and activities we love for the simple reason that we don't want to feel happy, which feels too much like moving on (144).
.. one of the hardest things about losing someone you love is that you have to allow yourself to seek and accept comfort in other areas of your life (169)
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Ok, I have to say this is by far one of my favorite books I have read in a long time. I adored the backdrop of the dogs. The unparalleled and incredible bond between human and their furry companionsst incredible. But the book is so much more than dogs...it is about fear, illnesses, friendship and love. It is about how interactions, even those that seem small and uneventful at the time, can be amazing life changing interactions. The book is about how certain people are brought into your life for ...more
Lh
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sappy, surprising gem

I am a voracious but picky reader and wondered if downloading a book about a dog grief counselor would be a corny mistake. But it wasn't. Decent writing, great descriptions of San Francisco that make me want to revisit locations, interesting info about anxiety issues, and some surprisingly comforting and thoughtful words about grief added up to a dang good read. Coincidentally I downloaded the book a week before my own beloved dog died, and when I could stand to read it
Debbie
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. I loved all of the characters, human and canine. None of them is perfect, and each of them is realistic and a distinct individual, even the bit players. “Every dog is a therapy dog.” That sums things up nicely. I think every dog person can appreciate this story, whether the reader has experienced Maggie’s problems or not. I enjoyed it very much.
Darlene
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books
I did really enjoy this book. The main character moves to San Francisco and starts her new life as a pet bereavement therapist. Through sad circumstances she begins to suffer from agoraphobia. Then a whole set of circumstances happen and miraculously and beautifully she begins to live a normal life again.
There are so many lines in here that are so wonderfully said, that apply to all of life.
Annalie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Compulsory reading for dog lovers!
I wish every person running a dog rescue organisation would read this. Falling in love with a dog and feeling that special human-dog bond is all-important when adopting a dog. Dog rescue organisations are becoming increasingly bossy and insist on matching rescue dogs to potential owners without taking the "love factor" in account.
Kathryn
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, animals
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads Giveaway, however I never received it. I really wanted to read it so I borrowed a copy.

This was a very well written book. It was a very enjoyable and sweet story. I felt as though I was a part of the characters lives. Definitely recommend.
Mindy
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a brain candy book. I just needed a little breather from some of the heavier stuff I've been reading. I thought this book was very sweet. It was a super fast and enjoyable read, but then I'm a sucker for anything dog related.
Briana Alzola
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the showtunes sung about agoraphobia and the celebrity doppelgangers for the dogs. Basically this book was like a romantic comedy. It went exactly where I knew it was going to go and that was ok.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Dream Hatcher...: June Book 1 3 Jun 24, 2016 08:39PM

• Bad Dog: A Love Story
  • Recipe for Disaster
  • Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery, #1)
  • An Echo Through the Snow
  • An Unexpected Grace
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Dog Gone, Back Soon (Cyrus Mills, #2)
  • The Dog Who Saved Me
  • The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
  • Rose in a Storm
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • A Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other--and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
  • A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home: Lessons in the Good Life from an Unlikely Teacher
  • Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure
  • Cardinal Cabin
  • Stay
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
Meg Donohue is the USA Today bestselling author of You, Me, and the Sea, Dog Crazy, All the Summer Girls, and How to Eat a Cupcake. Her novels have been translated into Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish. Born and raised in Philadelphia, she lives San Francisco with her husband, three daughters, and dog.
“Love is love," I told her, as I tell all of my patients who are ashamed to find themselves shattered by the death of a dog. "Loss is loss.” 19 likes
“I'm convinced that petting a puppy is good luck.” 12 likes