Start by marking “Blocked” as Want to Read:
Blocked

Blocked

(Blocked #1)

College freshman Lucia Ramirez has a secret crush on Dane Monroe. He’s a tall drink of water — blond, brash, and one hell of a volleyball player. ¡Híjole! Lucia hopes her volleyball scholarship to his school will make him notice her.

Too bad what’s noticeable is Dane’s obvious hatred for Lucia. Her family’s politics contradict everything he stands for. And politics are
Published October 21st 2014 by Psyched Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blocked, please sign up.
Jennifer Lane Hi Victoria, YES! I'm finishing writing the sequel ACED (Blocked #2) and hope to release it in November of 2015.

Start your review of Blocked
Anne OK
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I had a hard time settling into this one. The set up seemed stretched to the limits and I never really felt close to either main character. With the age and storyline, I was expecting more of a NA-aged feeling to this storyline. The characters were well-developed, had their flaws, and were having a rather “different” type college experience. The “opposite side of the fence” political situation put a little different spin on it as well.

Sometimes I felt that the political portion of the story was
NiCoLeTa E.
***ARC kindly provided via NetGalley for the exchange of an honest review***
✶Rachelle✶
1 star

eBook provided by Netgally in exhange for my honest review

Rant ahead

This was awful

Dane is by and large the WORST hero I have ever had the (dis)pleasure to read about. There was nothing redeeming about him. He is a caveman who thinks he is God's gift to Earth and I just can't. Our first introduction to him meeting his "love" interest is by blowing a gasket and calling her "Hitler's spawn" and "Satan's spawn" because she dared to come to his university....and her father dared to run against
Patty
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a New Adult book with substance!!
Shelves: ibooks, romance
**Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.**

"As I plopped down on the bleachers and scanned my new teammates around me, one word came to mind: heaven. I wasn't the tallest girl in the gym for the first time in my eighteen years on earth."
It is actually so hard to write a review for this book without giving anything away! For some reason the idea of Dane's mother and Lucia' father running for president made me hesitant to read this at first. I don't know why, but I wasn't sure how that would
Alicia
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
First, I need to get this out of the way.

6'8" blond hair, blue eyed male athlete?

(Photo from Jennifer's blog)

description

Ok - now that's out of the way....

I've been waiting to get my hands on a copy of Blocked since I read its synopsis. I played volleyball in grade school and high school (although I was never starting material) so I know the game and I've never read a book centered around this sport. I was excited to see how the sport played into the story. I also read a teaser that was released on
Valerie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, new-adult
I enjoyed this book. It has a coming to understand different believes kind of feel to it. Though I don't see it as New Adult but closer to Young Adult. Here are my impressions...

It's a great book for seeing different points of view.

It's a great book for finding common ground.

It's a great book for taking it slow and finding a friendship first.

It's a great book for seeing how the choices of one person have such huge impacts on others.

It's a great book for understanding eating disorders.

It's a
Lauren Jones
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She stared at the cereal for a few moments. At first she seemed to give the box a longing look, like she’d discovered a deep cache of oil on a barren stretch of land. Then her eyes tightened into the same hostile look I’d seen so many times on her father. Despite this, I noticed dark hollows beneath her eyes and felt a smidgen of concern for her. That level of exhaustion typically didn’t occur until later in the season, when Holter’s constant demands would inevitably wear down the girl’s team.

Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls
I enjoyed this book but, outside of the MC's being in college and out of their parents home, it read more like a YA romance than an NA romance. This was a completely clean novel, which I don't mind at all, but I know a lot of readers who expect some sort of sex, even implied, and that is not a part of this story so this is just a FYI for those readers.

I really enjoyed the whole volleyball aspect of the book. I learned a lot of things about the game that I didn't know prior. It was always just a
Carol Oates
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, Blocked is out in the world and I recommend you get your hands on this great read. This is a supersized romance with some much more.

Dane(6’8) and Lucia(6’2) are both volleyball players at Highlands University and both are offspring of powerful politicians who are both nominees for President of United States. On opposing sides of course.

Being from Ireland and knowing nothing about volleyball, I was a little concerned about being lost here. Not at all. I should have known better. In the past,
Beck Anderson
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Jennifer Lane's spiked this one straight down the line! And with that, I am done using volleyball metaphors because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Loved the plot -- the son and daughter of political opponents falling for each other. Loved the secret service agents. They added a fun element to the book.

Really enjoyed the inside look at the world of Division One varsity athletes. They are under an extreme amount of pressure.

I felt like the issues the hero and heroine wrestled with
Autumn Review
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I loved Streamline so much and it took me by surprise that this one fell short. I felt like the story was a forced and a lot of the dialogue was a bit cheesy. I did finish the book in hope that something great would happy to make up for the shortcomings. Bottom line: it just didn't work for me.
Yelania Nightwalker
Can opposites attract release graphic

Cuando la autora me escribió para que revisara las frases en español que se usan en el libro, de inmediato quedé enamorada de la sinopsis (aún no había visto esa portada jejeje), y fue un verdadero placer empezar un libro que me atrapó por completo y que me fue casi imposible de dejar. Blocked es uno de esos libros que te exigen leer "sólo un capítulo más"... ya saben a lo que me refiero.

Lucía y Dane son jugadores de voleibol, van a la misma universidad y si las cosas fueran de otro modo,

Susan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blocked is a new take on a sports romance and Jennifer Lane does this genre proud.

This is the story of two elite level college volleyball players, Lucia Ramirez and Dane Monroe. Not only do they attend the same college and play the same sport but their parents are running against each other in the next Presidential Election. Thrown together by the Secret Service agents assigned to protect them, they are forced to deal with their opposing views of the world, emotional baggage and their growing
Sophy Sorn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Lane is a new author to me and I’ve enjoyed reading this book and can’t wait to read about Maddie and Alex!
S.M. Koz
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GraceMyBookSnack
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review also posted at My Book Snack

3.75 Stars

Dane and Lucia won me over!

I’m going to be straight up and say that I liked Blocked. I do have a mixed bag of feelings, but overall Dane and Lucia won me over. I’m a huge fan of college sports, and this is the first time I’ve read a college sports romance featuring volleyball. In that regard, I found this read absolutely refreshing!

Blocked begins with volleyball player Lucia Ramirez ready to begin her freshman year at Highbanks University. Everything
Kelley
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

I want to start off by saying that when writing new adult romances, it can be hard to find something "new" to write about. So, to have a sport that isn't traditional--volleyball--compared with a presidential campaign? That is something fun and different to read about.

Overall impression: It was a great rainy day/sit at the beach/pass the time while traveling read (which is not a bad thing at all!). The pacing is consistent, and situations the
Misty Nickels
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review of Blocked by Jennifer Lane

I have to start off by saying….the ending!!!!! Seriously??? When do we find out? I am dying to know! The entire book lead up to this so you have to tell me who won!!!

Ahem, moving on. As usual I started reading this book thinking that I wouldn’t like it because it had something to do with sports. I think I am just going to think like this from now on because every time I think that I am not going to like a book, I end up loving it! I really enjoyed playing
Faith89
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
copy received for honest review
I had a hard time getting into this story. It had a lot of political rhetoric. The characters were a bit immature even for college underclassmen. I didn't like Dane at all in the beginning. He acted like a spoiled brat. Lucia seemed a little naive. However, the situation they found themselves in, did allow for growth. It ended up being a ok read for me.
Jackie
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author for sending me a copy of her book to review. I

Mexican-American volleyball player Lucia Ramirez is having a difficult start to her college career. Not because her classes are too tough, but because her father is running as the Republican candidate for President of the United States, and the son of his political rival is a fellow schoolmate. And Lucia has a major crush on said son, despite his obvious liberal leanings.

Sophmore Dane Monroe is less than thrilled when he
Roche
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** ARC provided by the author ***

Salted caramel. French fries and milkshake. Garlic ice cream. These combinations may seem unthinkable, but they surprisingly make sense together. If I were to describe this book's young couple -- Lucia Ramirez and Dane Monroe -- in terms of taste, I would say they are deliciously odd.

Both are volleyball scholars in the same university and their parents are running against each other in the presidential race. And their similarities end there. Lucia's family is
JMV
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-review
Received from the author for a honest review. 3 1/2-4 stars. Talk about a book with current issues...
When I signed up to read the third book, the author gifted me with all three books. I'm one of those reads that look at the cover to try to get a feel of the story. Sometimes it will keep me from reading the book if it looks to cheesy. I don't think I would have picked this series but all I can say is "You can't judge book by its cover!" I know, I know.... More cheese!
Now my review- This story
Brittany
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from the New Adult Book Club*

What initially drew me to this book you say? I would have to say that very alluring cover! I am finding myself to be ever the sucker for sports romances. I also just so happen to looooovvveeee volleyball!! When you combine volleyball, campaign elections, loads of drama and tension you get Blocked! Lucia's dad is the Republican candidate and Dane's mom is the Democrat candidate. Not only do the
Hannah Smith
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, romance
Actual Rating: 4/4.5
For a more detailed review please check out my blog https://mortalreader.wordpress.com/20...

Summarized:

Blocked was 300 pages of strong serious content, from Politics to eating disorders and sport. There is a lot packed into this novel and itself is an easy to get into book. Lizza and Dean are flawed characters therefore making it easy to identify with them and they each go on a personal journey to deal with their own growing issues whilst going on a journey to trust one
Christina
This is a new adult sport romance - and you don't even need to know what volleyball is to enjoy the battles these two children-of-Presidential-candidates engage in on their quest to stop repressing their feelings towards their polar political opposites.

Lucia Ramirez, daughter of the Republican Presidential candidate, has a secret crash on Dane Monroe, son of the Democrat's Presidential candidate. When Secret Service bundle them into a single safe-house, things move in entirely unexpected (for
Letty  (Cover to Cover Book Blog Reviewer)
Crazy family dynamics…political agendas…secret service… what a combination…
This is fast paced sports romance of two volleyball players on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Lucia and Dane are fighting their attraction to each other as well as the fact that both their parents are vying for the presidency. Will their political differences cause more of a drift between them or will their desire to be together be stronger than anything else?
Fun story covering many topics, full of chemistry
Haley Anderson
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when Secret Service throws you together with your enemy? Well if that enemy happens to be Dane Monroe, then by all means, throw me in!! ;)

Lucia Ramirez is your typical college freshman that happens to also play volleyball. Not only does Lucia play but so does Dane.

Dane being the hot, sexy guy that he is, is totally hating that fact the Lucia's Secret Service and Dane's Secret Service happens to throw both of them together in the same house for security purposes.

Will they throw their
Carissa Lynch
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an enjoyable read! It's a love story between two volleyball players whose parents are opposing nominees for President of the United States. Talk about star-crossed lovers!!!
They have so much in common, but at the same time...so many differences too. This is a great story. The writing is good, the plot is clever and well-crafted, and the story itself was paced to perfection! Wow, I'm excited to read the next in the series!!!
Marija
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a love story between two volleyball players whose parents are opposing nominees for President of the United States. It's a great story. I can't wait to read the next in the series!!!
CeCe
HNRY - Its me, but may work for you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New Adult Book Club: #5/15 Blocked by Jennifer Lane 57 125 Aug 26, 2015 10:16AM

• The End Game
  • Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)
  • Game. Set. Match. (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #1)
  • A Game Worth Watching (Worth Series, #1)
  • Boarded by Love (Bellevue Bullies, #1)
  • Scoring Wilder
  • Out Of Her League (Suspense Series, #1)
  • Pepped Up (Pepper Jones, #1)
  • Out of Bounds (The Summer Games, #2)
  • Offside (The Barker Triplets, #1)
  • Love Aced
  • Got Game?
  • Without Regret (Pyte/Sentinel, #2)
  • Tall, Dark & Heartless (Pyte/Sentinel, #3)
  • Stepbrother Untouchable
  • Off the Edge (The Associates, #2)
  • All Pepped Up (Pepper Jones, #2)
  • Game of Love
Psychologist/author (psycho author) Jennifer Lane invites you to her world of romance, sports, and suspense! By day she’s a therapist, and by night she’s a writer. She can’t decide which is more fun.

Jen’s most recent novel is psychological thriller, Twin Sacrifice. Psychologist Matthew Durante risks his own life to save his twin brother’s as their foster father tries to take them down.

Jen loves

Blocked (3 books)
  • Aced (Blocked #2)
  • Spiked (Blocked, #3)
“There was no 'I' in team, but there was meat in team. And we were all dead meat.” 15 likes
“Suppressing feelings gives them more power.” 3 likes