Start by marking “The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove, #1)

The Inn at Ocean's Edge

(Sunset Cove #1)

Claire’s visit to a luxury hotel in Maine awakens repressed memories, threatening all she holds dear.

In 1989, Claire Dellamare disappeared from her own fourth birthday party at the Hotel Tourmaline on the island of Folly Shoals, Maine. She showed up a year later at the same hotel, with a note pinned to her dress but no explanation. Nobody knows where Claire spent that year
Published April 14th 2015 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Inn at Ocean's Edge, please sign up.
Carolyn I have been in classes where the teacher tries to help the writer use all 5 senses when writing because it draws in the reader. Our sense of smell is…moreI have been in classes where the teacher tries to help the writer use all 5 senses when writing because it draws in the reader. Our sense of smell is quite powerful when it comes to feelings/memories, and I see what Ms. Coble was trying to do, but it was a bit "obvious". I think it could be very effective to draw in the 5 senses (taste and smell being the most difficult), but I wouldn't know how to do it as a writer. Maybe not naming the brand of cologne/perfume would have made it more natural and believable? (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jan Locke She saw him burying the child as I understood the story.…moreShe saw him burying the child as I understood the story. (less)

Start your review of The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove, #1)
Carmen Blankenship
This is not easy for me. I'm such a fan of books and of the authors who write them. I will always point out the positive when writing a review. The positive points of Colleen Coble's The Inn at Oceans Edge is that the concept of this mystery was a good one. Unfortunately, the execution of it was horrible.

Claire heads to Maine to assist her father in merger that they hope will save their hotel. Once she steps foot inside she has a panic attack but isn't sure why she is so distressed. To relax,
Katherine Jones
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I never like saying I couldn’t get into a novel, especially one like this with so much clout behind it. I want to get hooked on every book I read. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen here.

It wasn’t the story itself, which is–in and of itself–intriguing. Rather, it was something, somehow, in the way it was told. Starting, perhaps, with the way that I didn’t feel the author trusted me, the reader, to connect obvious dots. Like in this brief snatch of narrative: “What had gotten into her today? First
Beth
Colleen Coble is another author that I’m a little behind the curve on reading, and I hope to remedy that further in the future. The Inn at Ocean’s Edge is only the second of her novels that I’ve read, and while I wasn’t blown away by the other novel, this one was a great suspenseful read. This novel provides really great set up for upcoming books in the series, while still in keeping with what appears to be Colleen’s trademark romantic suspense.

I think what impressed me most with this story is
Cara Putman
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Inn at Ocean's Ridge is Colleen Coble at her best. The story is richly layered around the theme of what makes us a family. Is it blood relationships? Is it love? Is it something else?

Claire Dellamare arrives at Hotel Tourmaline ready to help her father close a merger with another company. But the moment she arrives, she has a flashback or panic attack that sends her running for the ocean. Luke Rocco is in a quandary deciding between staying in the Coast Guard or coming home to run the
Hannah
Honestly, I think this is Colleen Coble's best plot yet. There are more twists and turns to it than there are chapters, yet it unfolds at an even pace and is not too challenging to keep straight. Claire is an interesting character and easy to empathize with, while Luke is a good steady hero. (His being a Coastie just makes things even better!)

Also, I have to add that I found the part about the injured orca, and the facts about them and their pods, both endearing and educational! A great
Jerry
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an exciting story; quite a few twists and turns!
Aerykah
I love this author-- she's a long-time favorite of mine. Her writing style almost always draws me in from the moment I start reading and refuses to let me go until after I close the book.

This book was wonderful! I really enjoyed it. The characters were great and the plot was terrific!

However, I figured out too much of the mystery too far before the end of the book. It was still pretty intense, though. That alone wouldn't have made me take the rating down a star, but there were a few scenes that
Staci
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This suspense novel was filled with lots of twists and turns. I didn't figure out who the villain was until it was revealed. While the suspense and plot were strong, the romance between Luke and Claire was just o.k. In particular, the endearment "honey" bothered me each time it was used. Do thirty year olds call each other "honey"?

Overall, a solid suspense novel. I look forward to the next in the series.
Gretchen Scott
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was by far my favorite Colleen Coble book yet! The suspense was so intense I felt as if I was right there with the characters. Claire was so realistic I felt for her the whole time. I thought that it was interesting that all of the characters said "fudge." I don't think there was anything in this book that I didn't like. Strong reccomendatuon!
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Romantic suspense

Rachel B
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF'd at 7%.

I picked this up for a book club and, to be fair, didn't realize it was a romance. I decided to read it anyway, hoping that the emphasis would be on the suspense/mystery, but I find that I can't get past the characters themselves.

So far, everyone seems to be highly successful and beautiful, and the writing is ridiculous.

For example, the male lead is in the coast guard and when his appearance is described, these sentences happen: "...impossibly dark eyes that seemed to look right
JoJo Sutis
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Inn At Ocean’s Edge is a mesmerizing, compelling, mysterious tale.
As haunting as a Hitchcock, this story will keep you reading late into the night. An eerie beachside hotel, brings back haunting memories for the main character and as the reader, I got to follow in her footsteps as she desperately tried to uncover the truth of the past.
Family secrets, mysterious attacks, and murder all lead to the final shocking conclusion.
If you are a fan of suspense, you will love The Inn At Ocean’s Edge!
Brittany
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This mystery grabbed me! And, wow, what a great romance! The Inn at Ocean’s Edge was a great and spooky suspense.

I loved Claire and Luke’s relationship story. The attraction between these two made for a great romantic read. I also thought that the tension they both experienced in the beginning of the story, as they realized that they came from extremely different financial and societal positions, added an extra layer of complexity to their romance.

The mystery that must be solved in this book is
Jane Stewart
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it even though I did not like the author using heroine stupidity and some lack of logic.

The mysteries were good and kept me guessing. I liked the family ties ideas.

Wealthy Claire meets coast guard guy Luke. A nice bond develops. They have similar interests - whales and the sea. There is no sex in the book and I’d say no sexual tension, but there is a comfortable romantic relationship developing.

(view spoiler)
Patty Carpenter
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Horrible. Only finished it because it's short, and I wanted to see if the ridiculous "twist" I guessed in the first 20 pages was actually the way it would go. It was. The dialogue was some of the worst I've ever read.
Loraine
"Sometimes we dabble in sin, and think it will never come back to haunt us; but it does, it comes back so much worse than if we'd just been honest from the beginning."

Coble always seems to pen riveting suspense, and this one did not disappoint. In fact it was so convoluted that it was almost a who's who? I did have an inkling as to who the culprits were, but the twists and turns kept me guessing the answers for sure until the very end. Definitely a great suspense read for those who like twists
Freda Malone
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really great murder mystery. I was stumped up until I was well past the halfway mark. I tend to fall for the 'coastal' murder mysteries because the terrain, the setting, the characters and lifestyles are so creative and different than my own 'city girl' life.

Lots of twists and turns with this novel and you can't seem to catch your breath before another twisted revelation appears as clues are revealed. It left some threads open to interpretation and/or continuation for the next book.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Whew! There are some stellar plot twists in this book! I had an idea of how things were going to play out but I did not dream it would go in the directions it did. What a great ride! This entire series is one of Colleen Coble's best to date!! Suspense, romance, faith nudges - all just spectacularly done.
Ginger Johnson
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I can't believe all the rave reviews. I only finished it to just finish it! It was so predictable. Not very mysterious for me!
Would not recommend and this is the first written review I've done on here. Sorry... Not worth the time.
Noela
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, can't wait to read the next in the series!!
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas Nelson-Fiction and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

After reading Colleen Coble’s Hope Beach series, was delighted to receive an ARC of THE INN AT OCEAN’S EDGE (Sunset Cove #1). This is one intriguing and complex multi-layered mystery suspense page-turner thriller!

Coble is at the "top of her game" with this new and exciting series of lies, dark family secrets, murder, and conspiracy.

The story opens with a brief encounter from 1989 with
Shondra
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I have read a Colleen Coble book, but this one definitely had my attention with the ocean and beach theme! Let me first start out by saying...I am so glad this is the beginning of a new series with her!

I knew my review date was quickly approaching for this book, but I'd been putting it off because my plate is completely overflowing at this time...school, work, my family, and so on. My husband was going to be gone this past Friday evening, and all 3 of my children were
Wendy Sparkes
Lots of twists and turns in this solid suspense.

I loved the inclusion of the baby orca.

I was disappointed the Lord's name was used in vain during this story, so I've dropped a couple of stars off the rating.

Favourite Quotes:
“Sometimes we dabble in sin and think it will never come back to haunt us, but it does. It comes back so much worse than if we’d just been honest from the beginning.”

“Reach deep to find the bedrock of your faith as the winds begin to blow.”

“Always remember who you are,
Sadie
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Sarita
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I waited so long to read another Colleen Coble suspense.

The story pulled me in from the first chapter. It was intriguing and filled with a lot of mystery, twists and turns. I did figure out the mysteries and also the villain, but not the villain's motive. Even though I did figure out what is going on, it didn't take away the suspense for me, since the truths were revealed shortly after I figured something out.

I enjoyed both Luke and Claire's characters, though by the middle to
Julia
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Inn At Oceans Edge is the first book that I have read by Colleen Coble, and it definitely won't be the last. The action gripped me from start to finish. It was one of those books that just had me asking questions all the way through it. and thankfully, I had answers by the end of the novel.
Twenty five years before the story opens, Luke and Meg's mother had disappeared. At the very same time, four year old Claire had wandered away from her birthday party, and was not seen again until she came
Lisa Johnson
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Inn at Ocean’s Edge (Sunset Cove #1)
Author: Colleen Coble
Pages: 324
Year: 2015
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Luke Rocco is on leave from the Coast Guard for a month to help take care of the family business and his father who has had a stroke. His mother disappeared 25 years ago and hasn’t been heard from since so his sister has held down the fort for a few years, but now it is his turn. She has been offered a job that would take her away from their small town in Maine, but Luke isn’t sure he
norcalgal
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Karen R
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colleen Coble does romantic suspense like a seasoned pro, and this first book of her new Sunset Cove series is no exception! Full of action, mystery and multiple plot twists, it kept me guessing up to the last exciting scene. Meaningful interjections of faith, detailed descriptions of the locale, plus a few swoonworthy kisses, added that extra touch that makes her books so memorable.
A satisfying, fast-paced read for Christian contemporary romance and suspense fans!
Dana
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This I felt was a mystery within a mystery. Even though I had figured out one of them, I was compelled to keep reading to figure out the other! There were alot of twists and turns and I found it fast moving and didnt want to put it down towards the end. It was filled with mystery, suspense and of course romance, with lots of family drama thrown in. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next one in the series! Bring it on!

• Cowboy Fairytales Books 1 & 2 (Cowboy Fairytales #1-2)
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom, #1)
  • The Face of the Earth
  • Brentwood's Ward (The Bow Street Runners #1)
  • Hidden (Jacobs Family #1)
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • The Impressionist
  • The Forgiving Hour
  • Until I Don't (The Resolutions Series, #2)
  • Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1)
  • Where There's Smoke (Montana Fire, #1)
  • Distortion (Moonlighters, #2)
  • The Curiosity Keeper (Treasures of Surrey, #1)
  • Thin Ice (Men of Valor, #2)
  • All in One Place (Leslie & Terra, #2)
  • Hidden Currents (Lantern Beach Mysteries #1)
  • Lily of the Valley (Hymns of the West #4)
  • Nearly
USAToday bestselling author Colleen Coble lives with her husband, Dave, in Indiana. She is the author of dozens of novels including the Rock Harbor Series, the Aloha Reef Series, the Mercy Falls Series, the Hope Beach Series, the Lonestar Series and two Women of Faith fiction selections, Alaska Twilight and Midnight Sea. She has more than 2 million books in print.

Sunset Cove (3 books)
  • Mermaid Moon (Sunset Cove, #2)
  • Twilight at Blueberry Barrens (Sunset Cove #3)
“A mermaid’s tears are precious. Sea glass is said to be made of mermaid tears.” 0 likes
“know” 0 likes