Start by marking “Evolving Ourselves: How Unnatural Selection and Nonrandom Mutation are Changing Life on Earth” as Want to Read:

“We are the primary drivers of change. We will directly and indirectly determine what lives, what dies, where, and when. We are in a different phase of evolution; the future of life is now in our hands.”Why are rates of conditions like autism, asthma, obesity, and allergies exploding at an unprecedented pace? Why are humans living longer, getting smarter, and having far fe ...more
Published March 10th 2015 by Current (first published March 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Evolving Ourselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolving Ourselves

Cara
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is possibly the single worst pop science book ever written. It is in fact one of the worst books I've ever read, and I'm including self-published tripe with multiple spelling errors. It is the book equivalent of those Facebook science memes. You know the ones, spurious "science facts" propagated by people who supposedly love science but have absolutely no idea what it is. Everything about this book is bad. From the writing, which is peppered with liberal doses of the most cringe-worthy joke ...more
Morgan Blackledge
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evolving Ourselves:

I have to say. I really liked this book. It's smart and visionary and irreverent and just plain fun. A great summer read.

BTW: It's featured on the edge.org summer reading 2015 list. If you're not familiar with edge.org, do yourself a favor and go check it out.

It's like new wave for old smart people :-)

Evolving Ourselves is authors Juan Enriquez (of TED talk fame) and Steve Gullans (also a TED talk guy) book length argument that the Neo Darwinian model of evolution via natural
José Angel Hernandez
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am still in between speechless and a stunning achievement...
D.L. Morrese
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-nonfiction
Is humanity now driving the evolutionary bus? Are we bypassing the slow, scenic route and speeding it down the expressway? Do we know where we're going? (Have I just overextended a metaphor?)

Seldom do I find a nonfiction book that I can't put down. This is one. It is a fascinating account of the complex interplay of things beyond genes that affect how species evolve. I highly recommend it.

Not that I don't have a gripe. It's probably petty, but "unnatural selection"? Really? Unnatural? It's not
Noura Noman
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Complicated Made Simpler

An extremely educational book by two authors who have so much to say - covering a broad spectrum of complicated issues - and opt to summarize them in the simplest language possible. I am grateful for this book (as I was grateful for As the Future Catches You.)
Anne Jones
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I had to pick one person to have a conversation with at a party, it would be Juan Enriquez! This book talks about all the things I ponder all day, everyday. It's a must-read.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book and the many jumping off points it provided for future research.
Teo 2050
~5.5h @ 2x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Maggie
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fascinating book about the speed-up of evolution in a largely human-controlled (for now) world. I disagree with the point of view of the authors that modern technology, including genetic engineering, is mainly a good thing, and that science is leading us in largely positive directions. I may own and use all the modern conveniences, but I'm a neo-Luddite at heart, and very concerned about human-caused climate change, the extinction of other species, etc. In fact, I think science and tec ...more
Karen
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I'd like to thank the author for a copy of the book and the chance to review it through the GoodReads First Reads program.

Wow! I loved this book!

“Evolving Ourselves” is the perfect marriage of history and science with little punches of humor mixed in here and there. While it dealt with important/complex issues of biology, genetics, and evolution, you don’t need a Ph.D or MD. to understand the information. It was written so everyone can understand and benefit from it. It was very informative and
Kelly Reed
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is possibly the best book I've ever read! When reading fiction and you finish a book that you really enjoy, whose characters you are really invested in; it is a bittersweet feeling. You're happy that you've reached the final milestone and tackled the whole book, but wait...I don't want it to end! I want to keep reading more about these characters! This is the first non-fiction book I've read that made me feel that way! Oh no, it can't possibly be over already?!
This book instills fe
mylesbreen
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frightening

The potential in the book is frightening.Humans are capable of doing things that are not necessarily for the better of mankind , ok maybe not in my life,but still frightening.
Julie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. The book is well researched. It gave me some new insight.
Scott Schank
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very thought provoking book. Whereas most books look BACK at Human Evolution (by natural selection), this book looks FORWARD at Human Evolution (by UN-natural selection).
Staci Suhy
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free as part of a first reads promotion
Peter
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
after the first 40 pages, this book went from 2 stars to 5. very interesting info and thoughtful analyses.
Joseph Hamilton
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an extensive consideration of humanity’s active role in shaping the course of our evolution, particularly when considering relatively recent advances in genomics and synthetic biology. I highly recommend as the authors effectively portray the potential of our impact, although the examples do sometimes verge on science fiction (which they note).

One point is that, although there is a brief section on this, the authors describe science as fact quite often and base conclusions on previ
Catherine
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for. The first part of the book was interesting, as it looked at the ways that modern advances are shaping human evolution, which was what I was curious to learn more about. However, most of the book focused more on the future of humans and all the cutting edge ways we are learning to guide and control human development. The ideas were thought provoking, but I found much of it to be really "out there", bordering on science fiction. I also ...more
Mathijs  Aasman
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
An overview of how man has shaped the natural environment, and the feedback which results from that. Semi-interesting. Must admit I consumed it as a fast audiobook (3.7x normal speed), so my comprehension was less than ideal. Faustian in its outlook. Sections on genetic differences between humans prefaced by humanitarian universalist advisories, as expected for most books.

Reading this book does have the effect of orienting one's sights towards the long future I found, particularly the talk of s
H.S. Rivney
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genetic engineering is here, and Juan Enriquez, the author, a TED Talks presenter and among many other distinctions serves on the board of The Harvard Medical School Genetics Advisory Council. Fortune magazine has profiled him as "Mr. Gene."

If you have any curiosity about the human genome and how we are changing more rapidly than any other species, naturally and unnaturally, you want to pick up this work and see what the potential of humanity holds in store.

This is not an introductory read but
Andrew
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, medical
Enriquez explores the pace of evolution and gene mutations. Modern advancements in genetic engineering have shaped pivotal changes in evolution. The authors discuss the evolution changes in homo-sapiens in respect to other hominids. The Neo Darwinian model of evolution via natural selection no longer applies to humans. Unnatural selection and nonrandom mutation are building as major forces in the evolution of humankind.

The first part of the book focuses on modern advances evolution. The second
Stephen
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting overview thoughts on the idea that we have already evolved ourselves and other species in ways that are appear unalterable. The book is full of promise--things that can be done that will make lives better--as well as a few warnings. There's not as much "new" here as a good collections of ideas about how we are evolving to adapt to a changing world and how we are changing the world intentionally and not.
Elif Ozcan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is very badly written. There is no logical connection between the chapters and the subject is constantly changing. I felt as if somebody has been talking to himself without listening other people or without letting others to express themselves. I am not going to discuss the scientific content of this book in detail, but readers should be cautious about accepting the stories in this book as facts.
Charlie
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, this book poses far more questions than it answers. If you have not considered what things like synthetic biology, new DNA base pairs, and gene editing techniques like CRISPR mean for the future of humanity, then you will be blind sided by technological advancements so extreme are grand children will be a variety of different species.
Traian
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Great read for the first half, pretty disappointing afterwards. An interesting read to get up to date with the news and (some) science in genetics, robotics, and some other fields through which humans can alter themselves and other species.
Vinod Krishnan
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an incredibly insightful read about our biology, challenging stuff that Darwin believed to be true, and posing critical questions as we push the boundaries of innovation with gene editing and how we're going to proceed
Fabian Il.
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gives an great overview of current (relatively) approaches to modify our biology. I liked the authors point that we are switching from natural selection toward unnatural selection (man-made) this can he observed with dogs very well ...
Clint
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

one of the better evolution books. It touches on all the aspects of evolution, selection and survival of the fittest.
Curt
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
explains how epigenetics and our diet and sendentary situations are changing our dna and its expression
Marisol Luna
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book on what scientists are working on to cure disease in embryos etc in near future plus much more
« previous 1 3 next »

• How Economics Shapes Science
  • The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans
  • Regenesis: How Synthetic Biology Will Reinvent Nature and Ourselves
  • The Crossley Id Guide: Eastern Birds
  • Cured: How the Berlin Patients Defeated HIV and Forever Changed Medical Science
  • Behavioral Genetics
  • DNA: The Story of the Genetic Revolution
  • Introduction to Bioinformatics
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
  • Molecular Biology of the Cell: The Problems Book [With CDROM]
  • Life's Ratchet: How Molecular Machines Extract Order from Chaos
  • The Coming Swarm: DDOS Actions, Hacktivism, and Civil Disobedience on the Internet
  • Algorithms on Strings, Trees and Sequences: Computer Science and Computational Biology
  • The Incidental Steward: Reflections on Citizen Science
  • Life at the Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of Digital Life
  • March of the Microbes: Sighting the Unseen
  • The Big Ratchet: How Humanity Thrives in the Face of Natural Crisis: A Biography of an Ingenious Species
Juan Enríquez Cabot is a Mexican-American academic, businessman, speaker and best selling author.
“twenty-three chromosomes lie 3.2 billion ATCGs. All of this code equals one human genome, which you could print out in a very boring 6.4-million-page book. A strand of DNA is so thin (two molecules across) that if all of the chromosomes in a single cell were stretched” 1 likes
“if Darwin were alive today, he would likely revise a significant part of his great works, because the basic logic of evolution has shifted away from capital-n Nature toward two new core drivers: Unnatural selection* Nonrandom mutation*” 0 likes