Start by marking “The Assassin (Isaac Bell, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin (Isaac Bell, #8)

The Assassin

(Isaac Bell #8)

Detective Isaac Bell tracks a killer across the nation’s oilfields in this adventure in the #1 New York Times–bestselling historical series.

As Van Dorn private detective Isaac Bell strives to land a government contract to investigate John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil monopoly, the case takes a deadly turn. A sniper begins murdering opponents of Standard Oil, and soon the
Published March 3rd 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin, please sign up.
Jason Corfman The Isaac Bell books aren't released in chronological order. "The Assassin" takes place in 1905. "The Chase", which is the book depicting him meeting…moreThe Isaac Bell books aren't released in chronological order. "The Assassin" takes place in 1905. "The Chase", which is the book depicting him meeting Marion, takes place in 1906.(less)
Carole I saw a program once where he mentored young authors. And, due to the historical content of his novels and the frequency of out put, I think his…moreI saw a program once where he mentored young authors. And, due to the historical content of his novels and the frequency of out put, I think his co-authors probably do some of the historical facts research. I am always amazed as to the topics for Cussler novels, and the amount of research that would be necessary to get all the facts straight. Based on consistency of style, I think Cussler still does the bulk of Novel style, character and plot development etc.(less)

Mahlon
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
One of the better books in the Isaac Bell series(#8) this time Isaac is hired by Standard Oil to protect John D. Rockefeller himself from a lethal assassin. This one has a twist you won't see coming! My only complaint is that it's another prequel, but I guess I'm in the minority because the next one is a prequel as well.
Monnie
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
As I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of history - as in the classroom learning of it. I do, however, enjoy learning how things that happened in the past impact the way we all live and work today as well as details that likely won't be included in any history textbook. My first and only experience with this series featuring James Bond-like private detective Isaac Bell, The Striker, was a pleasant one (like this one, I gave it, the sixth, 4 stars back in April 2013). But books by too many other ...more
Mike French
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable book in the Issac Bell series! Interesting since I lived near the JD Rockefeller estate on NY and now live in Erie,PA near Oil City. As with all Cussler books, non-stop action from start to the end!
Jerry
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most engaging mystery I've read in a while. With plenty of twists and turns, a charming historical setting, and wonderfully crisp writing, it's easy to see why Clive Cussler's books continue to sell like hotcakes.
J. Lawrence
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am such a sucker for an Isaac Bell adventure. Another great roller coaster ride all over the freaking globe.

I actually listened to this on a 600 mile road trip to Maine and back. There is nothing better than listening to Scott Brick read a Clive Cussler novel. What a cool way to start and end a vacation!

Well done.

As always, purchase and enjoy!
Nancy Steinle gummel
The Assassin by Clive Cussler is a first reads win a.d I'm giving g my honest opinion. Starts out with wildcat oilmen trying to lay pipeline to get their oil from the refinery to the Atlantic coast in New York. JDR (John.D. Rockefeller) comes with his breakers a.d railroad cops and busts up the pipeline. Zooms to 6 years laters Bill Matthers now works for JDR. VanDorn Detective Agency hired by a fledgling Commission out of Washington D.C. to determine if JDR and Standard Oil made a monopoly of t ...more
Linda Smatzny
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is the eighth book in the Isaac Bell Adventure series. The story is set in 1905 and is about John D. Rockefeller and the Standard Oil monopoly. Isaac is working to find proof of wrong doing by Standard Oil but becomes a bodyguard to Mr. Rockefeller when someone starts killing off other oil men.The action is fast paced for the time and moves overseas at times. The book was won by me as a First Reads from Goodreads. It was a fast and easy read.
David
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable read from the Isaac Bell stable of books. I suspect even more enjoyable for my american friends who can relate to the locations and the history involved in the John D Rockefeller oil baron era of American history better than I can.
Fast-paced action and adventure with settings all over the globe - and of course Isaac Bell to save the day!
Robert
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything you expect from Cussler, fast action, neat locations, exotic cars and historical tidbits scattered throughout.
Morgan Erwin
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and while it was not my favorite in the series it did not disappoint. You can never go wrong with Clive Cussler.
Mark Boyd
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good read by Cussler and Justin Scott. I haven't researched the history of Standard Oil and John D Rockefeller but the book centers around JDR and what an industrial tyrant he was. Once again Issac Bell comes to the rescue. It was an interesting read and full of historical facts about the wildcat business in the early 1900's. A good read that keeps the pages rolling.
Pamela
“On the Jump” drama - High-octane suspense – Rough-n-tumble action. An Isaac Bell historical adventure encompassing Black Gold, J.D. Rockefeller, and an assassin’s revenging deadly rampage. All the inventive page-turning action one expects from the master of adventure-thrillers – Clive Cussler.

From Pennsylvania, to Kansas, to Texas, DC, and the oilfields in Russia on the Caspian Sea, via Locomobile, horses, hot air balloons, trains, and ships; the action didn't stop as the pages flew by with Cu
Susan Krich
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This ia another Goodreads book and it was a good read.
I have read a few other Isaac Bell books and was a little confused that his wife seemed to be missing. This was a recurrent thought as I continued to read but was explained in the last chapter.
I had to go back over the prologue a few times to understand what was happening but from the first chapter on it was a continuous great read. The action was fast with just a little pause between events. I stayed up late to finish this great story and lo
Mayda
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
There’s action galore in this thriller about oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller. Isaac Bell finds himself in the middle of a case involving a sniper, shady dealings, big business, poisoning, accidents that really aren’t accidents, a missing man, and pretty women, not to mention foreign intrigue and suffragists. Will Bell solve the case before it all blows up – literally – in his face? Great characters and a plot that rushes on through all 400 pages makes this tale an exciting page-turner.
David Squires
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
love clive cussler just can't put it down. a great read with great characters and great narrator. Det. Isaac Bell is eager to secure an important government antitrust contract to investigate John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil monopoly. Then a killer picks off Bell's key witness and blows up the man's independent refinery—just the beginning of the shootings, poisonings, and staged accidents that darken the narrative.
Jeanne (love2cook)
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, first-reads
This is a first read edition from Goodreads. What a theory Isaac Bell against Standard Oil and a deadly assassin. Bell is now on a goverment contract to investigate John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil monopoly. An assassin kills one of Bell's witnesses. This is a fast paced, page turner. I enjoyed some of Bells other stories better, but all in all it was a good read. An interesting story.
Al
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
So far typical Isaac Bell... Which is pretty good
Julie Kellner
Mar 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Bell novel I struggled to finish. I doubt Cussler had contributed much to this trite & confusing story. Very disappointed
Darren
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. I liked it a lot. It was full of action/adventure. It was a well written book. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Craig Carignan
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good read but predictable
Claudia
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 8th book written regarding the private operative of the Van Dorn Detective Agency, Isaac Bell.
As Bell tries to capture a sniper taking out the opponents of John Rockefeller's Standard Oil even as he investigates and travels with Rockefeller to the oil fields of Russia with Bell stopping in Kansas, Texas, Washington, DC and New York City.

There is a bit of romance as Bell is equally attracted to the lovely daughters of a former wildcatter.

Interesting - as this is his historical operative rathe
Sojourner
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
The Assassin by Clive Cussler with Justin Scott is the eighth book in the Isaac Bell Adventure series. It is a gripping fast and easy read, full of adventure, action, mystery, thrill and suspense. Though The Assassin is a co-written book, there is Cussler’s trademark presence all over it.

The story is set in 1905 and is about John D. Rockefeller and the Standard Oil monopoly. Isaac Van Dorn, a detective who works for an agency, is sent to find who is blowing up railways in the west. Isaac is inve
Rlygirl
Although this was book #8 in the series, it went back in time, portraying a younger Isaac Bell before he had met Marion and the events of "The Bootlegger" had taken place.
That threw me off track for a bit, (since I had seriously JUST read about Isaac's wedding in book 7!) until I got into the swing of the story. A redeeming factor is that Isaac's character is written the same. I especially love his interactions with the boss (VanDorn) and his college buddy Archie.
But the plot was a hot mess to
Matt
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the the first Clive Cussler book I have read and it certainly won't be my last. Being book 8 in the Isaac Bell series, at no point does it feel like I need to have read the previous entries in the series. I'm sure once I have read more I will pick up subtle references to other events in the series.
The Assassin is a great action packed, noir styled detective adventure.
There is a great mixture of history (1900's oil business in America and Russia), detective work and explosive action that
Victoria
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always find it hard to just read the dang books without looking up historical facts. There is a whole section in "Book Three" that could be cut out and the story would flow just as well, if not better. Cussler takes it upon himself to make Rockefeller such an important character that he has lines and a place in Bell's case. When fiction mixes with real history, it can become distorted in what really happened. It also lends to real figures doing things they never did, or would never have done. ...more
Scott
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is not number 8 in the series! It might have been the 8th book written, but this Falls early on in the Isaac Bell story :-(I wished it was listed chronologically. This book has Aloysius still working for Van Dorn, Isaac unmarried and still flirting, and other early on events. It really is before all the others out, including the first. It's a great place to start the series even. I would recommend this book to anyone as a starter, or as book 2 perhaps. Don't go until he's met Marion, or it ...more
Preston
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, adventure, history
Fast-paced read about regional and international intrigue in the oil business during the early 20th century. Cussler's unflappable detective, Isaac Bell, and the Van Dorn Agency move heaven and earth to figure out who's creatively killing opponents of Standard Oil, John D. Rockefeller's behemoth oil company.
An interesting cast of characters that bring to light political and national conflicts of the day. The nascent roots of modern companies are revealed for people wanting to see where modern co
John Grazide
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Although the story was a little thin, it was very entertaining. This one was of Isaac as a younger investigator. And the oil craze is taking over the the world. JD Rockefeller is in the center of it all. A good lesson in the early days of oil. And the ruthlessness that came with it. JDR uses all his power to get a stronger hold on any and all wildcat oil men. Now there is an assassin trying to help him along. Isaac goes semi-undercover to find out what is really going on. And along the way a lot ...more
Lisa Brown
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Issac Bell is investigating one of the most powerful and wealthy men in the country, but he stumbles upon another plot in the mix - one that involves a very successful assassin. While trying to find the murderer, he meets two beautiful and talented sisters, and it may just be harder to decide which of the two ladies he is falling in love with, than to find his man.

An exciting adventure, with lots of twists and turns. Very reminiscent of the first few Isaac Bell novels. I thoroughly enjoyed it :
Woody
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A change-of-pace from my usual reading. This book was given to me by a guy on a flight from NYC to Seattle. It is certainly fast-paced and entertaining. The underlying premise for all the violent action was Standard Oil's attempts to force independent oil producers to sell, give up and/or quit competing. At least in this book their tactics were brutal. It's a page turner and a refinery burner (sorry about that):)
  • The Missing (Tom Clancy's Endwar, #3)
  • A Time for War (Jack Hatfield, #2)
  • Mirage by Clive Cussler - Reviewed
  • The Death Trade (Sean Dillion, #20)
  • Solemn Graves (Billy Boyle World War II, #13)
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #1)
  • Gideon's Rescue (Gideon and Sirius #4)
  • Blood Vengeance (Matt Drake, #7)
  • Alanna (When Hearts Dare, #2)
  • Marked Masters (Bodies of Art, #2)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Le Frere de Sang (Antoine Marcas #4)
  • The Breakthrough (Precinct 11, #3)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #9)
  • Pirate Alley (Jake Grafton #15 Tommy Carmellini #5)
  • The Cruiser (Dan Lenson, #14)
  • Brad Thor Collectors' Edition #2: Blowback / Takedown / The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #4-6)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Isaac Bell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Chase (Isaac Bell, #1)
  • The Wrecker (Isaac Bell, #2)
  • The Spy (Isaac Bell, #3)
  • The Race (Isaac Bell, #4)
  • The Thief (Isaac Bell, #5)
  • The Striker (Isaac Bell, #6)
  • The Bootlegger (Isaac Bell, #7)
  • The Gangster (Isaac Bell, #9)
  • The Cutthroat (Isaac Bell, #10)
  • Untitled Isaac Bell (An Isaac Bell Adventure Book 11)