Start by marking “What Was D-Day?” as Want to Read:
What Was D-Day?

What Was D-Day?

(What was...)

In the early morning hours of June 6, 1944, an armada of 7,000 ships carrying 160,000 Allied troops stormed the beaches of Nazi-occupied France. Up until then the Allied forces had suffered serious defeats, yet D -Day, as the invasion was called, spelled the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany and the Third Reich. Readers will dive into the heart of the action and ...more
Published April 21st 2015 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about What Was D-Day?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Was D-Day?

Start your review of What Was D-Day?
Blake
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it was a good book acutally probaly my favroite book ever if you like learning about WW2 then you might want to read this book
Teri
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
After visiting Normandy with my grandsons we read this book which is a great summary for young readers. A powerful history lesson which covers some of the most important facts about the events occurring on June 6th and shortly after. ...more
Keelan
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pat
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book because it teaches you all about the story of WWII.
Victor
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What was D-Day, By: Brennan Demuth
D-day was about how over 160,000 allied soldiers came by air and sea to the beaches of France. The allied forces dropped paratroopers dummies from airplanes to fool the nazis. Over 72 million people died in world war 2. While 11,000 people died on D-Day. The allies also made a entire fake army base out of inflatable tanks. D-Day was the beginning of world war 2!

I loved this Book because I have always been interested in World War II and D-Day. Another reason I
Naomi
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good, both for students and as refresher and summary for adults. Some details were new to me, but all were well-presented and engaging. Illustrations were helpful. Our 14-year-old boy enjoyed it.
myunghwa lee
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book.

I really didn't even know about D-day before I read this book. But after reading I learned a lot more about this military assault. It's awesome. Props to Eisenhower👍
Alex
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In August 1943 Churchill and Roosevelt meet and set d day for 1944. Nov 1943 General Dwight D. Eisenhower is promoted to Supreme commander of all allied forced in Europe. In June 3rd 1944 soldiers begin boarding ships for Normandy. On June 5th he gives the order for the invasion on D day. On June 6th 1:20 am German forces open fire on paratroopers over Normandy. After 3 am D-day German radar discovers the invasion fleet ; enemy troops prepare for battle. At 9;50 Allied destroyers open fire at ...more
Tillman Cummings
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like the last pages I read. I thought the author did a good job at giving very good and important detail. Saying how we attacked, where we fought, and what we did if the plan went wrong. I was happy in the events that we won, but then sad cause of how many innocent people died because Hitler was crazy. I was questioning why Hitler blamed the Jews for their loss in World War 1. I also was wondering why the Italians changed to our side after they lost one battle. I was predicting the ...more
Stacy M. Patton
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This book is an excellent overview of what D-Day was, the plan, how some of the plans failed and succeeded as well as true stories of war heroes. This book also includes a whole chapter on how they fooled Hitler by using spies, lies and clever tricks. My boys especially found this chapter fascinating when it explained how Allied troops set up a phony army base in Dover, England across from Calais, France. And all the ways the Allied troops had Hitler fooled by this fake base by using rubber ...more
Heather Shembarger
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of information concerning D-Day and WWII. It is a quick read as it is just a little over 100 pages. Actual photos and timelines are included at the end just to tie everything together. D-Day was truly a masterpiece plan that was almost 2 years in the making. Unfortunately, weather played a role in contributing to many failures in the attack and massive loss of life to the Allies. The courage and heroics of the survivors allowed the D-Day attack to continue. Regular soldiers had ...more
Natalie
I love this series!

These books are so fabulous at giving a brief, yet informative overview of important topics. Perfect for kids and adults alike!

I didnt realize there were so many colossal problems on D-Day! Its amazing the Allies were able to pull it off.

I thought all their trickery was brilliant. I especially loved the pretend base at Dover with the blow-up tanks. I can just imagine Ike walking around inspecting the base.

WWII is such a horrifying event. Its hard to distill it down for the
David
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, this book was written for a younger audience, but someone needs to check the content for completeness and accuracy. And who better than someone who has read several detailed first-hand accounts of the D-Day Invasion? For a younger generation wanting to learn about this major historical event the author does a great job presenting all the important facts in a very comprehensible and coherent narrative. All this while keeping it interesting. Great read for all ages; dont let the youth have all ...more
Liesl
Definitely the most intense book in this series that I've read with my son so far. The detailed material went a little over his head at times, but I appreciated Demuth writing about these events with a younger audience in mind and the focus on this single, pivotal day. I appreciated the closing timelines of both D-Day and World War II as well as the inclusion of personal stories from the front lines.
Trent
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was about D-Day. It was on the invasion of the allied forces into France on June 6, 1944. It discussed that the invasion was top secret and about the base near England to make the Nazis believe that Normandy was not the target. This book had lots of great information about this important day in history.
Jayda
Nov 18, 2019 added it
I liked the historic of the book because I am really into history, and I learned new things about history that I didn't know. Also this book was very easy for me to read, and just these types of books I really enjoy because the book just shows more to what I didn't know, and I learn new things. In conclusion I would really recommend this book if you are into historic books.
Tonya
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this with Jackson. I have read a lot about the holocaust, but not as much about specific battles and nothing about D-Day. This was quick and easy and I learned from it. The sacrifices made by Americans and other soldiers in fighting Hitler / Nazis was well portrayed for a young audience.
Loni
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, easy to read. I just visited Normandy and listened to a guide. He was enlightening, but this book was even better. Wish I had read it before we arrived at the scene. Great insight into the planning, the weather problems, the challenges of getting on and then across the beach. I highly recommend this book, even if it is for young kids.
Zack
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i like how they had facts but not to much
Megan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thomas
i really liked all of the survival and history in this book i think it is awesome for a war history book.
Spencer
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this whole book!
Taylor Hennessee
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot of new facts for this being quite a short book.
Diana
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned alot from this

To tells about how sad d-day was
Omaha beach
Rawr XD
Its egacational!
Brooke Fradd
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative, even for this adult who doesn't recall her world history lessons from high school.
Yvonne
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every educational book on the planning of and execution of D-Day by the allied troops. I also loved that there were real photos included at the back of the book.
Tyler
Mar 11, 2020 added it
good
Jacob
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I mean, the book was good, yes, but it didn't stand out as one of the best. The story of D-Day is depressing, so the book did whatever it could to capture the same feeling by quotes and details.
Emili
Aug 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoy this series, and this is an important part of history. I like how these books are interesting and easily understood.
North Landesman
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Clear narrative with good photos and primary source quotes.
Heather
I loved this book. I think it was well-written. It read quickly.
I am fascinated by D-Day, and this book is a great introduction.

Other books in the "Who was?" series had a font that was so hard to read. It was refreshing to read this book and not have to struggle with font. The pictures were very good.

I have a student who loves anything to do with the military and WWII. I know he would love this book. It made me remember going to the Omaha Beach cemetery, so I dug out my old photos to show to my

• Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Babe Ruth?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Where Is Alcatraz? (Where Is?)
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Who Was Winston Churchill?
  • Where Is Area 51?
  • Who Was Milton Hershey?
  • What Was the Vietnam War?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Blackbeard?
  • Who Was John F. Kennedy?
  • Who Is Malala Yousafzai?
  • Who Was Neil Armstrong?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Henry Ford?

What was... (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • What Was the Battle of Gettysburg?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • What Was the Gold Rush?
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • What Was the First Thanksgiving?
  • What Was the Alamo?
  • What Was Ellis Island?
  • What Was Pompeii? (What Was?)
  • What Is the Statue of Liberty?