Start by marking “Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)

Dead Heat

(Alpha & Omega #4)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  25,487 ratings  ·  2,083 reviews
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.
Holly Why are you being rude about the question Peter??????
Reanne That's why I just get them from the library, even if I have to wait a little while for them. Briggs's books aren't all that long, so it seems…moreThat's why I just get them from the library, even if I have to wait a little while for them. Briggs's books aren't all that long, so it seems especially ridiculous the prices they charge for them. (I know this is her publisher's decision, not the author's.) She's definitely on my "get from the library, read it, and then decide if it's worth purchasing when it comes out in paperback" list. Not because I don't like her stuff--I do--but because the cost/value ratio to me just isn't where I think it should be to shell out the money up front.(less)

·  25,487 ratings  ·  2,083 reviews

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
10 Love This Series Stars

It was a vacation trip. Visit an old friend who wouldn't be around much longer, buy a horse for Anna's birthday and have a break from the emotional strain that being the werewolves' hitman always puts on Charles.

But sometimes trouble finds you even when you least want it and when a Fae goes around replacing children with changelings right on their friends' doorstep, Charles and Anna will do their best to find the threat and eliminate it.

If I had to use one word to descri
Anne
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

Fantastic, solid, emotional...everything I've come to expect from one of Briggs' novels.
Including a hideous cover.
*shrugs*
Eh, what can you do?

Charles decides to buy a horse for Anna from an old friend, Joseph. He's hoping to use the visit to catch up with him, and finally introduce his wife. The years have gotten away from Charles, however, and Joseph is now an old man. A very sick old man. Instead of a friendly visit, Charles has come just in time to say goodbye.
Oh, the feelings!
The fr
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Rather disappointing, the majority of it didn't feel much different from the last book. There were some parts that I really enjoyed though (mainly Chelsea/Hosteen and Charles/Joseph), but a lot of it was quite dull and predictable.

-This had the usual investigation-of-the-week type plot. It was fairly entertaining but nothing that I hadn't already come across before. It was pretty much the same as the previous book with Charles/Anna hunting for a serial killer, only in a diff
JeniReadABook
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, urban-fantasy
2015 is not nearly soon enough! This series is even better than the Mercy Thompson series. I ADORE Anna and Charles and I hope they go on to have a 10+ book series. This is definitely my new favorite urban fantasy series. The dynamics between Anna and Charles and then Anna and the others she comes into contact with is just so cool!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
3/3/15: Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

5 Stars!

This is a fantastic book! I need to be clear up front that I am a huge fan of Patricia Briggs. I have read and enjoyed all of the books in the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series. I enjoy each series but I think that the Alpha & Omega series is my favorite out of the two. I just love Charles and Anna. I love each of them as individuals and I adore them as a couple.

"The day I met you was
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ★'s

My favorite part about this series from the get-go is the relationship between Charles and Anna, The Alpha and The Omega. Sometimes they aren't the only focus but they are always the main focus.

description

Charles is taking Anna on a short vacation to see a friend of his...and to get Anna a horse for her birthday. Naturally, there is trouble and naturally, Charles and Anna jump right into the middle of things.

It was awesome seeing how in tune Anna was to Charles, reading his little nuances...I just
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I paused my Kate Daniels readathon to inhale this installment in a different urban fantasy series - the one in ALPHA AND OMEGA that I managed to skip over when reading all the others. I went into this one a little leery because of a few negative reviews ... but I actually really enjoyed it!

Though it does help if you are fond of horses. (Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry were a huge part of my junior high school reading diet, so no trouble there.)

Add to the horses a murderous fae, children in g
Angela
February 2018 Reread. Buddy read with Sarah and Erica. I liked this even more than my previous reads. It's still missing something I can't quite put my finger on, but it's a good story - if a lot of about horses.
February 2017 Re-read: I liked this better than the last time. Quite a lot more. But it's still my least favorite of the Alpha and Omega books. There's something missing for me.

February 2016 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah

This is the book I've read most recently in the Mercy World prior t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4), Patricia Briggs
For once, mated werewolves Charles and Anna are not traveling because of Charles’s role as his father’s enforcer. This time, their trip to Arizona is purely personal--or at least it starts out that way... Charles and Anna soon discover that a dangerous Fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The Fae’s cold war with humanity is about to heat up—and Charles and Anna are in the cross fire. Originally published: March 3,
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: werewolves
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

This book started out as a sweet vacay type story line with Anna & Charles traveling to Arizona to buy a horse from an old friend. We got to see a different side of Cornick, witness a couple of flashbacks, reconnect with an old love, and meet Hosteen's pack. There was of course some mild tension, but that's to be expected whenever two alpha males are in the same room; however other than that it was looking like this was going to be a relatively tame installment. Ha!
Regina
Badass Book Reviews is giving away a free copy of this book, stop by to enter to win:

If I could, I would give it 10 stars. The best yet.
AH
Update 3/3/15: Check out Badass Book Reviews where we discuss our thoughts about Dead Heat. There's also a chance to win some books!

Thoughts before reading:Want it...want it...want it....NOW!!!!

Can't wait to read this one.

The Review:
Another fantastic addition to the Alpha & Omega series.
When I read a series, I like to watch the character development over the course of the series. This book has one of my favorite UF couples - Anna and Charles and they have grown together nicely over the cour
1st Read March 2015
2nd Read February 2016
3rd Read February 2017
4th Read March 2018

Full Review

Buddy read with Ange

I read this book last year but never got around to writing a proper review for it so here we go:

I absolutely love Anna and Charles, they're one of my favourite couples and I can't get enough of them. What I enjoy most about them is the way that even though Charles is protective of Anna he also understands her need to stand on her own two feet, he wants her to be an equal partner and h
Brigid
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What the fresh hell is this?

Charles and Anna you say? No way, those books are awesome! This book was decidedly not.

I mean, do you really expect me to believe that the badass author who wrote the glory of Mercy Thompson wrote this nonsensical piece of boredom?

To my utter and complete fucking surprise: YES.

*What the crap just happened?*

Anna and Charles travel to Arizona thinking it'll be a relaxing trip visiting old friends and looking at pretty horses. But, lucky for them they get to solve a ni
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans
4.25 Stars – Love, Loss, & Promise

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Tennyson's poem comes to mind after completing Dead Heat. Bran, the dominant werewolf of North America and recurring secondary character in the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series, and his son Samuel have reacted to love and loss their own way. As with many werewolves, there are some that anchor their
MelissaB
** 4.5 stars **

A very nice addition to a good series. We are starting to get into the implications of the Fae being out in the world, I think it's going to get ugly in this series and Mercy Thompson. Can I say that it is so nice to read a book that is well-written for once!
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf
Another outstanding addition to this fabulous urban fantasy series. Well done Patricia Briggs. Set in the same world as her Mercy Thompson series, the Alpha & Omega series follows Charles (son of the alpha Bran) and Anna (an Omega wolf). I’m not going to recap who Charles and Anna are and how they came to be – I highly recommend this series and reading them in order. I even recommend you start with the novella in the On the Prowl anthology. I also want to note, at this point I’m enjoying thi ...more
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
3.5 Stars
Beautiful story in itself, but also a tiny disappointment. It doesn't quite fit to the previous Alpha & Omega books.
There was way too little Anna and Charles time, as we have come to know and love it, and way too much talk about horses, which made certain passages of the book quite boring.

------------------------------------------

Edit 02.02.2015

SO jealous of everyone reading this! :(

------------------------------------------

This book is calling me...
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A whole lot of time has passed between books three and four in Briggs’ Alpha & Omega series, and yet most of us haven’t forgotten a single thing about Fair Game or any of the previous books. The explanation is rather simple: it’s all due to the quality of Briggs’ writing. She is, and always was, incredible. I dare say she’s the reigning queen of urban fantasy.

Dead Heat is not her best book to date, though, not even close, but Briggs at her weakest is still better than 90% other authors. It r
Alex is The Romance Fox
I love this series…..eagerly wait for the next installment of Charles and Anna. They are what make this series so incredibly enticing and addictive.

Dark Heat is the 4th book in the Alpha & Omega Series, which is linked to Patricia Briggs awesome Mercy Thompson series.

So what’s the latest book all about????? Apart from us getting more of Alpha & Omega???
 photo Fair20Game_zps517rp0x7.jpg
Charles & Anna travel to Arizona to visit an old friend of his and from the first moment of them arriving, they are thrown into a
Yodamom

Anna and Charles, bonded pair, deeply in love, set out to find the person involved in threatening the family of one of their pack members. They plan on making it a two birds type trip, they will find the source of danger an pick up a new horse for new rider Anna. The threat becomes more then expected, dangerous, deadly and full of hidden truths. During this already horrible time Charles must deal with the mortality of humans, his best friend. The Fae are not following the rules lives will be los
Danielle (Love at First Page)
This may be the first time I've mentioned Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega books for my blog, but it's absolutely one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. It centers around werewolf mates Charles and Anna Cornick, whose story begins in Alpha & Omega. Though Charles is not the Alpha of his pack - that would be his father - he's very much his father's second, and one of the most dominant wolves in existence. He dispenses his father's justice wherever he goes. For this reason, many fear him and ...more
Beth
Another awesome story from Patricia Briggs. There are a few authors that I immedi-click without caring about the synopsis of the book...Patricia Briggs is one such author. Yes, I did read the synopsis but I already new this was a story of worth.

Charles and Anna are called to Arizona, a purely personal trip...a trip to visit one of the people that mean something to Charles. But as soon as they arrive they are pulled into an incident that involves Fae magic. The war between the Fae and humans is h
Kathleen
Great urban fantasy series! Suspenseful and scary, and not too predictable. It's book 4, and by now the kinks have been sorted between Anna and Charles, making way for the alpha and omega to get playful and tender when not storming the gates of hell.

This book is set in current day Arizona, at a Navajo horse ranch outside Scottsdale, with scenes of the Arabian Horse Show in Scottsdale. After the concluding events of book 3, Fair Game, the wronged and enraged Fae are out for blood. Innocent human
Susana
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who don't mind long talks about horses

There were times I almost forgot what the plot was supposed to be about, with so many horse references!
Full review to come...

Arc provided by Ace /Penguin Group through Netgalley

Release Date: March 3rd

In a perfect world I would have had time to re-read all the previous volumes, so I could fully compare them.

Not being able to do it, the best I could do was re-read my reviews of the previous books...and they weren't all that helpful. In fact, my previous reviews suck!
And this one, also isn't all
D.G.
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
**3.5 stars**

After the amazing end of Fair Game, which for me had the best ending to all the books in the Mercyverse, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Dead Heat. I mean, I knew that it couldn’t measure up to the previous book but still, there were several things missing for me. I felt that the villain was obvious, some things were important one minute and dropped the next, and all the talk of horses made some sections interminable. Not a bad book but definitely not great.

Let’s start with the go
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Charles and Anna travel to Arizona to buy a horse for Anna. Of course, they run into trouble along the way, and have to deal with a fae who is taking children. Will they be able to find the most recent victim before it’s too late?

Opening Sentence: The fae lord stalked back and forth in his cell of gray stone.

The Review:

I was really excited to have a chance to review Dead Heat, as I really love the Alpha and Omega series. I’m happy to say my
Beanbag Love
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I still love Charles and Anna. They have an amazing bond and I love how they continue to heal each other with every book.

This one has the couple visiting a dear friend of Charles's whom he hasn't seen in decades. The friend, of course, has gotten very old and he's very sick. There are other quirks in the relationship, but the inevitable death of his friend is what has kept Charles away.

With this story line, we get to see some of Charles's past. I'd have liked to have seen more about Charles and
Aly is so frigging bored
I missed you so! I so wish Patricia would write faster *sigh*
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted at The Book Nympho

READ IT, TRACK IT IS A WAY FOR ME TO TRACK BOOKS FOR MY READING CHALLENGES AND THE REVIEWS WILL BE SUPER SHORT.

Either reading or listening to a Patricia Briggs novel is always an excellent experience. Briggs is a master at weaving plot lines and developing her complex characters and the worlds they live in. Dead Heat is another very enjoyable installment in her Alpha & Omega series.

Holter Graham delivered an A+ performance.

Play Book Tag: Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs - 4 stars 1 10 Dec 15, 2016 10:08AM
Shut Up & Read: Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs 32 64 May 10, 2016 06:18PM
Goodreads Librari...: Dead Heat - disjoint sets? 2 16 Mar 20, 2016 07:37PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Cover 3 13 Jan 26, 2016 07:31PM
A Million More Pages: 4 - Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega): Oct 19 9 17 Oct 23, 2015 01:03PM

• Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a n

Alpha & Omega (5 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
“But that is the dual gift of love, isn’t it? The joy of greeting and the sorrow of good-bye.” 30 likes
“If you make my children, make any child, feel bad for who they are, I will teach you why people fear mama grizzlies more than papa grizzlies.” 24 likes