Start by marking “A Woman in Arabia: The Writings of the Queen of the Desert” as Want to Read:
A Woman in Arabia: The Writings of the Queen of the Desert

A Woman in Arabia: The Writings of the Queen of the Desert

The writings of one of the great woman adventurers of the twentieth century - the 'female Lawrence of Arabia' - and the subject of a new film starring Nicole Kidman.

In the last century, few people lived more astounding - or influential - lives than Gertrude Bell. During World War I, she worked her way up from spy to army major to become one of the most powerful woman in th
Published September 24th 2015 by Penguin Classics (first published March 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman in Arabia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman in Arabia

Jul 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Bettie, Broken
Gertrude Bell Archive

Having most relevance for research in Archaeology, History, Politics and Travel, the books and papers of Gertrude Bell (1868-1926) were given to Newcastle University Library by Gertrude's half-sister, Lady Richmond, although part of the Doughty-Wylie correspondence came from St. Anthony's College, Oxford.

Her diaries are available online here

Her letters are available online here
Kyle
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story about a woman ahead of her time. Her contributions to the world have gone unsung for too long, and it is good to see that she is finally getting her due. It is uncanny how her observations of the British mishandling of post-WWI Middle East accurately describe the next century's slide into the chaos we see there today. another reason why women worldwide should have an equal role in any political process.
Mandy E
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
-orientalism & the imperial project; the extent to which the "orientals" she meets are othered & western identity & intellectuality always the standard against which

-the annoying tendency of biographers/editors to justify/rationalize any character failings of their subjects; both come off looking shoddy and compromised.

-annoyed by the continual references to her "love of beautiful clothing". Why is this of any importance?

"I sat in my tent & read Hamlet from beginning to end &
Dolly
Oct 09, 2016 marked it as dnf-or-set-aside-for-now
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading biographies
This book combines commentary with letters written by Ms. Bell to portray a true Renaissance woman of her age.

interesting quotes:

"While the franchise was denied to so many men, Parliament could not have contemplated giving the vote to women. In discussions about giving the vote only to women of property, Parliament came up against an insuperable difficulty: the property laws. The possessions of wives automatically became their husband's property on marriage. This was the law that led Gertrude's
TheSkepticalReader
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, classics
There is too much justification on the part of the editor about anything that Bell was doing which might be deemed ‘controversial’ (like the fact that Bell didn’t want women to get the right to vote). And I think this causes what Bell actually thought and what the editor wants you to believe to become blur together too easily.

Honestly, I don’t think the book is all that unpleasant or anything, but it certainly wasn’t what I was expecting. A lot of parts were actually quite interesting to read ab
Kathy Duffy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had read Gertrude Bell's Biography Desert Queen and then found this book with her letters in it. What a truly fascinating and exciting woman. Wish I had known about her when I was younger - a marvelous role model. She was brilliant spoke 11 plus languages and multiple dialects of several of them, she graduated from Oxford with honors, she was a mountain climber, an archaeologist, an explorer, a politically savvy individual with extensive knowledge of the Middle East that the British Government ...more
Shelley
Gertrude Bell should be as well known as Laurence of Arabia. She actually had a more interesting and wide-ranging series of adventures, in my opinion. This book is a good introduction to her amazing life...
Olga Vannucci
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not too many English ladies
On the banks of the Euphrates.
Elena T
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Very interesting and informative, especially in its second half where we get to follow Gertrude through her long advocacy in favour of Arab self-determination. Eventually, the nation of Iraq, which used to be made up of three separate regions of the Ottoman Empire, is established with King Faisal I on its throne and we, as readers, get to experience it all through the words of one who was there when these events took place, one without whom things would, perhaps, not have turned out as they did. ...more
Roslee Saad
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pasti ramai yang mengenali Lawrence of Arabia, pegawai British yang mengapi-apikan semangat kesukuan Arab untuk bangkit melawan kerajaan Othmaniah.

Gertrude Bell juga antara individu yang memainkan peranan di dalam melakarkan sempadan negara-negara di Timur Tengah khususnya Iraq dan Jordan.

Lahir di dalam keluarga aristokrat. Keluarganya antara keluarga terkaya di era Victoria kesan daripada revolusi perindustrian di Eropah.

Beliau menamatkan pengajian di dalam bidang sejarah di Universiti Oxford d
S
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to reading this book since I had heard about Gertrude Bell and her vast accomplishments; adventurer, writer, traveller, political officer, archaeologist, explorer and cartographer.

She was an English woman and after finishing her studies at Oxford, she went around the world traveling and for a decade, she was a Mountaineer, climbing some of the most difficult peaks and setting records first as a climber and second as a female climber. You have to remember that this was the
Harajyuku
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very interesting. And what a cool fucking lady! Not at all what I usually read. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to call this book - a biography? Miss Bell's letters are indeed the primary reference, but this is hardly a compendium. The editor, clearly a dedicated fan, shows her handiwork a little strongly for my tastes, but she has obviously done her homework and should be proud of that. (Anyway, there is hardly any such thing in the world as an objective biography.) Moreover, the ...more
Joanne
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book. I never knew anything about this remarkable women until I saw the movie Queen of the Desert. I immediately went in search of her books. What a woman, truly inspirational story and achievements. I wonder what she would think of the events now in these areas that she loved so deeply. There are comments to suggest she was against the right for women to vote. After reading her book I don't believe this at all. Her life was certainly different than most women, she was given ...more
Rachel Rogers
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Didn't quite finish this one but what I read was fascinating. Nothing like reading about someone like Bell (or Ben Franklin) to make you feel as though you have accomplished nothing in your life. I'm intrigued by the idea of a film about Bell coming out in a few months; could be excellent, could be horrible. Fascinating person. I wish the American government had paid a bit more attention (e.g. Any) to Bell's observations and learning about Iraq, seeing as she was the unofficial queen of the coun ...more
Sheila
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anna
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Gertrude Bell was a woman ahead of her time although she was rich so she could pretty much do as she liked! But she was interested in languages and archaeology and politics and travel. It is always interesting to me how much easier it was to travel in Iraq at the beginning of the twentieth century than it is now, especially for women. I always find books of letters to be sort of weird to read but this is annotated and organized by theme rather than by chronology.
pax
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
entertaining & well edited review of a life that began in romantic wanderlust & adventure seeking before devolving into nation creation & colonialism.

Far from being a pioneering feminist, she was against women's suffrage. also, her & TE Lawrence love of Arabs & championing of their rights was in fact the championing of the rights of a few blue blooded -or green blooded to coin a term- tribal leaders who could be counted on to be staunch British clients.
Savannah
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Gertrude Bell was an incredibly interesting lady. I'm glad she was such a prolific letter writer so we have a glimpse into her world. The book is broken up into chapters about her different roles throughout her life--archaeologist, kingmaker, desert traveler, etc. This is a bit confusing at first because you don't know the scope of her life yet, but it evens out by being roughly chronological overall.
Megan
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Although the grouping of writings into areas such as 'The Archaeologist' seems logical I found this disjointed. Perhaps better to read the biography by the same author, Georgina Howell, or another?
Seems the movie mentioned on my edition's cover is Werner Herzog's 'Queen of the Desert' with Nicole Kidman (2015)
Flora
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can this single woman have done these amazing journeys through the Middle East? Her descriptions are mind boggling. The adventures, the sheiks, the physical endurance and cultural insights tumble out faster than I can absorb. But her vivid language and sheer velocity propelled me through the book. Now I am reading her biography by G. Howell. Amazing.
Abdullah Başaran
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The worst thing that can happen to someone's diary or writings is an editor who adores the figure, who is blind in being critical. The editor, by rationalizing every step Bell took, ruins everything since the historical figure is constituted superficially. Also, the book needs lots of explanatory footnotes for the details we find in Bell's writings.
J.
Its unfortunate that the recent move about Gertrude Bell was such a dud. The woman was incredible. They just don't make people like this anymore. What a life she had! And what an ending...this should be on every school curriculum, instead of the YA drivel they read these days.
Larry
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting fragments from an interesting and influential woman are too short to give a strong impression, but they should lead one to read the editor's highly detailed biography of Bell. They'll lead me there, anyway. My wife recomends the book.
Angela
Nov 20, 2016 added it
Readers who are interested in learning about Bell should not read this book first. It is a compilation of her letters but the timeline is all out of order and all over the place. I'd recommend reading a traditional biography of her first.
Wilhemina
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was simply a delight to be able to learn about Gertrude Bell and her contributions to the Arab world by reading her diary entries, her letters and travel writings! She is truly a woman beyond her times.
Karen
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the life of a very interesting woman, combining short biographical vignettes with excepts from Bell's own letters and writings.
Karen Cramer
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much is known of Lawrence of Arabia but little is known of Gertrude Bell. What a remarkable life she lead. She had more impact than he did and she should be remembered.
Duncan M Simpson
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, history
Disappointing. I had expected more writing by Gertrude Bell and less editorial intervention.
Andrea Barlien
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible collection of letters and essays by one of the most important (previously) invisible women of the era and the region.
David Illingworth
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diplomacy
A good overview of a remarkable personality. Only slight negative was the intrusive editorial style which slipped into apologia at times.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of Hannah Breece
  • Herstory : Women Who Changed The World
  • The Brontë Cabinet: Three Lives in Nine Objects
  • Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations
  • Pro-Voice: How to Keep Listening When the World Wants a Fight
  • O My America!: Six Women and Their Second Acts in a New World
  • The Story of Alice: Lewis Carroll and the Secret History of Wonderland
  • The Ice Museum: In Search of the Lost Land of Thule
  • The Crossing: My Journey to the Shattered Heart of Syria
  • The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation After the Genome
  • My Husband and My Wives: A Gay Man's Odyssey
  • Do It Like a Woman... and Change the World
  • Rachel Calof's Story: Jewish Homesteader on the Northern Plains
  • Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight
  • Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth
  • Alone atop the Hill: The Autobiography of Alice Dunnigan, Pioneer of the National Black Press
  • Born Ready: Unleash Your Inner Dream Girl
Gertrude Margaret Lowthian Bell, CBE was an English writer, traveller, political officer, administrator, and archaeologist.