Start by marking “Where Is the Grand Canyon?” as Want to Read:
Where Is the Grand Canyon?

Where Is the Grand Canyon?

(Where Is...)

There are canyons all over the planet, and the Grand Canyon in Arizona is not the biggest. Yet because of the spectacular colors in the rock layers and fascinating formations of boulders, buttes, and mesas, it is known as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

Starting with a brief overview of how national parks came into being, this book covers all aspects of the
Published February 5th 2015 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Where Is the Grand Canyon?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Is the Grand Canyon?

Alia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book !

The Grand Canyon in Arizona is one of the United States' fifty-nine national parks .

Here are some awesome facts about the Grand Canyon:

1- Native Americans have lived in the area for ten thousand years .

2- It's known as the Seven Natural Wonders of the World !

3- About five million tourists visit the Grand Canyon every year .

I really feel going to the Grand Canyon someday !

😁👌🏼
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
My four year old wants to go to the Grand Canyon so I figured this was a good place to start. She loves the maps that come with some of these texts and every time we read, she gets out the map and shows me the trail we are going to take to get to the Grand Canyon. It is so darn cute, I don't have the heart yet to tell her how long of a trek her way would be.
Natalie
As usual for this series, well done. Admittedly, I was reading it right before bed and kept dozing off, but it wasn't for lack of interest. The grand canyon is fascinating and I love learning about the geology. It's part of the science core for the fifth graders and I show them this documentary about the grand canyon every year. It never ceases to amaze me even though I've seen it so many times.

In another book about the Hopi I read it mentioned how they would go to the grand canyon for salt so
Amy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book that provides information about the Grand Canyon, including the history and information about the people, flora & fauna that lives in the area.

Some interesting things that you may or may not know:

The Grand Canyon is considered one of the 7 NATURAL Wonders of the World.

Although the difference in climate (traveling from the canyon floor up to the North Rim) "is like traveling from Mexico to Canada, amazingly these biotic communities are only a mile apart!"

At the end of the book i
Diego Palomino
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I read with my ten year old girl as part of her Accelerated Reading school project. Though I have visited the Grand Canyon I found a lot of information I did not know. One was about the explorations that were done and another about the woman architect Colter responsible for many historic buildings there. Remarkable that a woman was afforded that opportunity a century ago. My girl was impressed by this fact. As a whole I find these series well done, concise but full of informa ...more
Tayden Christians
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It was OK. I really don't like non fiction but I managed reading it. I really learned a lot about the Grand Canyon. Like that apparently 7000 people have died from falling off the side. Ummm a little scary but it was interesting I guess. Many people have tried and failed to explore the whole thing. No one has actually. I recommend this book to anyone who likes non fiction.
B
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Broadly informative from history, geology, Native American life, flora and fauna, architecture, and the damage humans have caused. I just wish this series would put the money into photographs instead of cheap looking black and white drawings, especially when you are showing off the beauty of a place like the Grand Canyon.
Leslie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
An informative read about the history of the Grand Canyon--how it was formed, how it was discovered, and the different Native Americans and now tourists who live and visit there. I was intrigued with how wide the Colorado River is and reading it made me want to go visit the Grand Canyon and its grandeur. The Grand Canyon itself is fascinating, but this book had me nodding off.
Michelle
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm preparing to hike from the North to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in a little over a year. This book was an excellent overview and discussed some pretty neat things about this beautiful canyon. I'll read it again shortly before my hike!
Ashley
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love this series, but this particular title is out-dated, using the now inappropriate term of "Indian" in both historical and modern-day context.
Marie Bosma
Informative, though a little dry.
Yvonne
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guess I need to list the Grand Canyon on my bucket list now. This was a very educational book.
Alyssa Ruehl
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal reaction
I personally enjoyed this book. It discussed the Grand Canyon, which I know little about. It discusses President Teddy Roosevelt's trip to the Grand Canyon, who realizes that we need to preserve this rarely important landmark. He then decides to take action, and get his name as the "conservation president". I also did not know this about Roosevelt, so it was a great piece of information that showed how much he cared about our country.

read aloud to make a curricular connection
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This children's book shares many enlightening details about the Grand Canyon - its location, its formation, its people, plants, and wildlife, etc. I enjoyed this book. It’s amazing what erosion can result in! I especially liked how the author really spelled out the erosion process for the reader rather than simply indicating wind and water resulted in the canyon’s formation. Although I understand why we built two dams on the river system, it's kind of sad that it has forever changed the ecosyste ...more
Kaleb Harding
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We're is the Grand Canyon by Jim O'Conner I love the Grand Canyon. I live in Arizona were the Grand Canyon is. I have been to the Grand Canyon twice. My family's best friends son goes to Grand Canyon university.

The Grand Canyon is located in Arizona and as a huge canyon. you can travel the Grand Canyon on a mule but it might take days. Their is a glass bridge to were you can see the bottom. You can park far away and take a shuttle bus to the Grand Canyon.

I recommend this book for people that lik
Nathaniel
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked it. It talks about the tribal nations that lived in the grand canyon and some of the tribal nations still live there and it was interesting. It also talked about exploreres and there's one person who explored the Grand Canyon. He was in the Civil War and had lost his arm, but he still climbed the cliffs from the very bottom to see how tall they were.
Olivia Bretting
This is a great book for students to learn about how the grand canyon was formed and how people lived near it back in the day. It has vivid pictured and uses fun illustrations to show detail.
Caleb
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it. It tells a lot about when the Grand Canyon - before people were visiting the Grand Canyon like this one person who explored it at the very start who only had one arm.
Maureen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
read with my 3rd grade daughter
Lindsey
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, factual, easy to read.
Johanna
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
dreaming one day I will see it again!
Karen
Dec 09, 2016
Lora Gianardi
Dec 27, 2018
Karen Mira
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2015
Joe
Nov 13, 2018
Cheryl
Sep 03, 2016
Felicia
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Where Is... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Where Are the Galapagos Islands?
  • Where Are the Great Pyramids?
  • Where Is Alcatraz? (Where Is?)
  • Where Is Area 51?
  • Where Is Easter Island?
  • Where Is Hollywood?
  • Where Is Machu Picchu?
  • Where Is Mount Everest?
  • Where Is Mount Rushmore?
  • Where Is Niagara Falls? (Where Is?)