Start by marking “The Traveling Tea Shop” as Want to Read:
The Traveling Tea Shop

The Traveling Tea Shop

(LoveTravel #11)

Love isn't always a piece of cake...

Laurie Davis has always followed her passion. After escaping family drama to start a new life in New York City, she’s up for whatever challenges life brings. So when an opportunity arises for her to use her travel industry expertise and serve as an assistant and tour guide for her idol, Pamela Lambert-Leigh, star of television’s Tea-Tim
Published March 3rd 2015 by Berkley (first published May 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Traveling Tea Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveling Tea Shop

Jan Moran
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A road trip in a red double-decker British bus in Maine with friends, family, and cakes? Yes, please, sign me up! This novel is just that -- a fascinating road trip of a novel.  Laurie and Gracie, Pamela, Ravenna -- each one of these characters is so well drawn you feel like you know them. Belinda Jones writes a lot of travel-inspired novels. My only problem is which one to read next....

Traveling Tea Shop is sure to bring a smile to your face. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and two thumbs up.
Natalie TBGWP
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm ashamed to say that this is the first Belinda Jones book that I've read. I am now kicking myself with what I have been missing out on with her. I have never in all my years of reading read anything so descriptive like The Travelling Tea Shop. It was an utter delight. The travel element to the book is sublime and you honestly do just melt into the gorgeousness, and for someone who wants to travel across America this has only made that yearning for it increase. Jones has such a clever way of n
Suze Lavender
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurie is very well prepared when she's got the chance to become Pamela Lambert-Leigh's travelling guide for her next cookbook. She is thrilled when Pamela chooses her to plan the trip. Their means of transportation will be a vintage London bus which is amazing. The driver is Pamela's mother and as a surprise Laurie finds out on the day they're meant to leave that she's also brought her daughter Ravenna. Even though Laurie prepared an easy and fun trip filled with dreamlike destinations and lots ...more
Nancy
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and fast read. The star of a British baking show tours the northeastern United States to trade recipes for famous cakes in the region. Lots of fun facts about cakes with engaging characters. Gracie was my favorite character.
Annamaria
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
"The only F-word on this trip should be frosting"

3.5

Because of this book I drank cups of hot tea when outside there were 32-fricking-Celsius-degrees and baked muffins that were little chocolate bricks. To be fair though the blueberry ones were oh so dreamy! ♡

The Traveling Tea Shop was a cute read that included loads of cakes, a double-decker bus, terrible puns and juicy family drama. A perfect read that pulled me out of a looming reading slump!
Totally recommended to all of you desserts lovers
Celeste_pewter
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok. Let's be honest.

As someone who has lived on and off in London for her entire life, it's pretty much impossible for me to not want to read a book with the words "tea shop" in the title. Throw in the fact that The Traveling Tea Shop is also a book about cake AND four women learning how to empower themselves, I kenw I had to read this book immediately.

Beloved British author Belinda Jones introduces us to Laurie, a British ex-pat who has moved to New York City to start over. When given the cha
Jenny Hart
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I NEVER drop books halfway through (weak beginnings have turned into strong stories more times than I can count, so the benefit of the doubt is important to me), but I had to chuck this by the time I got to pg. 45. It was a frustrating decision, too, because I had already planned to add this to the lineup of a women's travel book club I'm starting--it sounded perfect! I grew up in New England, have lived in New York for nine years, work in the travel industry and love chick lit, so it seemed lik ...more
Bookevin
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a massive fan of Belinda Jones’s fabulous books where they are purely escapist reads. Her books are normally set in exotic locations that will definitely pull you in and promise you a book that will leave you breathless and her latest book, The Travelling Tea Shop is another book you simply can’t resist!

The book follows the story of four women on an extraordinary adventure. Laurie (if you’ve read Belinda’s previous book, Winter Wonderland, you will recognise her!) is to guide British
Mary
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour
Laurie couldn’t wait to set off on the tour with Pamela and her mother, Gracie and daughter, Ravenna. Almost immediately, though, she saw that things between the three women were tense. As the days go on Laurie learned the reasons for the strained relationships. She becomes involved in a secret that she’s not pleased to know and hopes it will be out in the open very soon. The other principals have their own thoughts on how the secret should be revealed.

I think my favorite characters of the book
Robin
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-books
This was a sweet and fluffy pastry with the requisite family issues and a dollop of romance mixed in the middle that you know all will be resolved by the satisfying ending. The travel descriptions were so tantalizing that I'm ready to fly to the east coast to visit Newport and New Hampshire, and for the most part the characters were an appealing bunch. Oh, and there were also a couple of handsome guys who knew a lot about books and authors. With that and the fabulous descriptions of pastries, ho ...more
Barbara
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I was happy to receive a pre-publication copy of this book for an honest review

A lovely light read that made me want to put the kettle on and stock up with cupcakes! The descriptions were full and enhanced the reading experience as the differences between the states was described.
I am old enough to remember the movie "Summer Holiday" so loved the idea of them travelling on a red bus!
The characters were kind of predictable, as was the story line; I must admit not being surprised by the revelat
Heather
Wow... What an amazing discovery, a book dedicated to two of my most favourite things... cake & travel! Perfection.

I had never read or even heard of Belinda Jones until a friend lent me the book and I will definitely be checking out more of her books.

The Travelling Tea Shop is a trip around New England, a part of America I am very familiar with, but have never visited on a London Double Decker Bus... although now I really want to.

A story of a British TV baker, her daughter, mother & Laur
Karen Mace
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
Seduced by the gorgeous front cover, this way of choosing a book to read normally doesn't let me down but I'm sad to say the inside didn't match the outside for me :(

I've read a few of Belinda Jones' books before and have always enjoyed them but there was something about this book that just didn't grab me - normally the mention of cakes has me hooked straight away, but i just felt there were too many mini stories that weren't given enough attention amongst the backdrop of the travelling tea shop
Leah
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belinda Jones is one of my favourite Chick Lit authors, and she’s earned her place by bringing out books I love, time and time again! There aren’t many authors willing to set their books in different destinations every time they bring one out, but Belinda does that and I have visited many wonderful places thanks to her writing – Las Vegas, California (twice), Costa Rica, Crete, Buenos Aires, Seville, Havana and Quebec. It would actually be quite amazing to visit all of the places Belinda has wri ...more
Eldarwen
The first half of the book was slow going. The travel tidbits were really interesting, but there was just too much of that and I felt like I was reading a travel brochure rather than a novel. The cake intermissions weren't enough to deviate from that feeling, mostly because they read like research and lessons as well.

The little character background received in that first part wasn't a lot though it set the scene for what was to come in the second half of the book. Yet it all read very slowly.

It
Zarina
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This novel combined two of my favourite pastimes - travelling and eating cake - making it a deliciously addictive read.

British expat Laurie lives a pretty charmed life in New York City. She works for the girlie travel-planning website she and her best friend set up, through which gets to visit all sorts of exciting places and get paid to do so! When beloved baker and fellow Brit Pamela Lambert-Leigh comes over to the States to find inspiration for her next
drey
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
Oh, how much do I love The Traveling Tea Shop? Let's count it out:

#1. Road trip! Who doesn't love a road trip? Especially one on a double-decker bus, through towns, cities, and states, based around a theme, replete with historical factoids and trivia? I want to do the Traveling Tea Shop tour on the double-decker bus! Where do I sign up?

#2. Tea time! I did say theme, right? And boy does The Traveling Tea Shop have a treat of a theme - tea time. Not the drinking kind of tea, but the eat-yummy-tre
Jill
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Travelling Tea Shop by Belinda Jones is an amazing read....I loved it! If you love cake, life and love then this is a must read for you.

The book introduces us to Laurie who is interviewed by Pamela, who is a famous baker from London. Pamela is writing a new book about cake, and hires Laurie to organise a tour which takes in different states and allows her to exchange traditional local cakes in return for an English recipe. We also get to meet her Mum and daughter, and some other key characte
Bookworm
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really weak chick-lit book. I loved the idea of a traveling tea shop. The quirky US cover (with tea, pies/cupcakes, etc.) all seemed like a neat story. I have never read anything by this particular author, but of course I wanted to try a new book by an author I've never read before.

Honestly, I thought this was terrible. I was shocked to find the author was actually from the UK. Something about the writing was off and made me think that maybe this author had perhaps visited the UK, maybe studied
Meghan Wilson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. It was fun, and the characters were wonderful and believable, and all the plot elements worked so well. I loved the development of the characters, and the silly love story element. Possibly the best "chick-lit" I've ever enjoyed!
Chrissie Parker
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books by Belinda Jones, she has a great way of combining a good story with exciting locations, and The Travelling Tea Shop is no exception. I don't like giving away plots, but I will say that I loved the clever combination of cakes from specific US towns, combined with a mammoth road trip along the East Coast of the US on a red London bus!

The reason I like Belinda's books so much is that she wholeheartedly drops you into the location she is writing about. She wraps you in the history, cu
Debra Schoenberger
I love to travel. I love to eat. I love to travel and eat at the same time. The Traveling Tea Shop was just up my alley. It was a fun book but with lots of interesting and historical tidbits thrown in. I found Laurie's character to be believable and could sympathize with the different issues she needed to deal with, both in her professional and personal life. I don't read a lot of chick-lit but found this book to be so much fun!

The characters were well developed, the plot had a few twists, a bi
Christine
Well... a really cute cover, and a fun concept, but ultimately a disappointment. Not horrible, but not engaging enough. I had high hopes, but the main character was just too self-involved to be a sympathetic character. The humor fell flat also. The story was just too "light," silly, and scattered. I like a bit of fluff reading now and then, but I quickly lost interest in this book. I stalled on it about one-third of the way along, and couldn't make myself care enough to keep going. I really disl ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of finding...

Finding tea shops/cakes, finding friends, feelings and family.

The story makes you think its all fluffy clouds but when you actually get into it, you find all the flavors. Think i liked this book for the descriptions of US and the places they travel, as well as learning about the different things that originate from where. Not only a story but a good history/knowledge lesson too.
Lauren
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely entertaining. The pace at which this book is laid out meant I just kept going with it as I was desperate to find out how things played out. Laurie is a really relatable character and makes a great narrator. The extra knowledge I have of cakes and their history is an added bonus that made me positively hungry at times! I hope there is a sequel...
Jana
Mar 19, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the message it conveyed, but I didn't enjoy the book itself at all. I feel like it was all too "grown-up" for me and couldn't relate to anything that happened.
Dawn Watson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Absolutely loved this book. Loved how it made me want to just dive into the book and see and feel these beautiful serene places and taste esp taste all these beautiful cakes. Best book iv read in a while. A must read.. :-)
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every second of The Travelling Tea Shop. Another example of Belinda Jones combining great travel writing with a brilliant story. Was also nice to catch up with Krista from Winter Wonderland.

Helen Juarez
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A silly very predictable story of no substance that is not particularly well written. I found myself a few times trying to decide if I sound finish it. Disappointing.
Catherine
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining New England travelogue sprinkled with interesting characters and relationships, luscious baked goods, and fascinating historical tidbits.
  • Summer at Shell Cottage
  • Moonshine
  • Just Haven't Met You Yet
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • The Teashop on the Corner
  • Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • The Summer without You
  • The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week
  • Ivy Lane
  • High Tea
  • Girls on Tour
Belinda Jones was born in Turnbridge Wells, Kent England. At the age of 19 she moved to London, where she resided for the next ten years before moving to California. She now lives in Los Angeles.

Belinda Jones writes books for women which focus around travel and womens issues, particularly relationships. Her books tend to fall into the romance, chick lit and women's fiction categories

LoveTravel (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Divas Las Vegas
  • The Love Academy
  • Out of the Blue
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • California Dreamers
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
“Move toward your dreams, not away from your problems.” 3 likes
“In the concrete jungle it's sink or swim: you can't be timid or tentative; you have to forge through, make your mark, enter the fray.” 0 likes