Start by marking “The Stranger” as Want to Read:
The Stranger

The Stranger

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  49,646 Ratings  ·  4,161 Reviews

Adam Price has a lot to lose: a comfortable marriage to a beautiful woman, two wo
Published March 24th 2015 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger, please sign up.
Anirban Bose Take up any of his books except for "Missing You" and you will see the master at work. My personal favorites would be Six Years, Tell No One and The…moreTake up any of his books except for "Missing You" and you will see the master at work. My personal favorites would be Six Years, Tell No One and The Woods (less)
Maureen If you have a local library, check to see if they offer ebooks through Overdrive. My local library system is very large and there was a short wait…moreIf you have a local library, check to see if they offer ebooks through Overdrive. My local library system is very large and there was a short wait time for the ebook. I, however, pre-ordered this one and it was worth every dime of the $10.99 I paid. Excellent read. Cheers! (less)

Patrice Hoffman
I am not ashamed to say that I am one of Harlan Coben's loyal fans. I love his fast-paced, all engrossing mystery suspense thrillers. He is my go to when I just want to forget about my crappy life and read about someone else's crappy life. These stories remind me how things could be so much worse. Coben has mastered the art of convincing people the ones we love the most just might not be who we think they are or they may harbor some type of secret that could shatter our lives and cause everythin ...more
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
I am a huge fan of Harlan Coben. My favorite, like everyone else, is the Myron Bolitar series. Just the best! This one is a stand-alone suspense novel that fully delivers in true Coben style.

Can you keep a secret? Not if The Stranger is nearby....

There is a man, who refers to himself as The Stranger, traveling the country revealing everyone's darkest secrets. The consequences can destroy families.
The focus is on Adam and his wife Corinne. The stranger approaches Adam one evening to reveal a s
Carol
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Hook - My number came up on the reserve list at the library and I thought “Why not?”

The Line –“Feeding teenage boys was like filling a bathtub with a grapefruit spoon.”

The Sinker”The Stranger appears out of nowhere, perhaps in a bar, or a parking lot, or at the grocery store. His identity is unknown. His motives are unclear. His information is undeniable. Then he whispers a few words in your ear and disappears, leaving you picking up the pieces of your shattered world.”

If that isn’t an in
Debra Gray
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I gave this book 2 stars for 2 reasons- 1, the author was Harlan Coben whom I love and 2, it kept me needing to finish it to find out how the ridiculous plot and storyline ended. It was like watching a train wreck-- you know you don't want to look, but you have to. This was by far the WORST Harlan Coben novel I have ever read -- and I finished it! The storyline was convoluted, the characters were unbelievable and the ending was so perfectly tied up it almost made the book a joke. However, I will ...more
Diane
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This latest Harlan Coben novel is all about secrets: Who has them? Who reveals them? What happens when a dangerous secret is told?

Adam Price has a good life with his wife, Corinne, and their two sons in a wealthy New Jersey town. One day a stranger approaches him in a bar and says Corrine faked a pregnancy a few years earlier. The news devastates Adam. He investigates and confronts Corinne, who then disappears.

Meanwhile, we see the stranger approach others and share more devastating secrets. Wh
James Thane
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Harlan Coben long ago cornered the market on the New Jersey Suburban Family Thriller sub-genre, which involves average, ordinary American folks--almost always wonderful people with great families--who are suddenly thrown into chaos and danger when some powerful negative force intrudes into their daily lives. Such is the case here.

Our protagonist is a New Jersey lawyer named Adam Price. He and his wife, Corinne, are living the American dream with excellent jobs, a very nice, comfortable home, and
Deanna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

Harlan Coben is a favorite author of mine. I was really looking forward to this book.
The book was even better than what I had hoped for!! I only started reading his books a year or so ago and I am so happy I found him.

I would suggest starting this book if you have a bit of time on your hands as it's very hard to put down once you start. Just when I thought I figured out where the plot was going I was surprised again. Fast-paced and easy to read but with fantastic twists and turns.

Highl
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars!

I have been a fan of Harlan Coben for a very long time. I have read almost every book that he has published and I have been lucky enough to meet him twice. I am always eager to get my hands on any new book that has his name on the cover. I realize that I expect a lot out of a Harlan Coben book. I not only expect not only to be entertained but to be completely sucked into the story having no idea what twists will happen next. This bo
Liz
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I am a big fan of Harlan Coben, so I was anxious to listen to this book. Now, the premise of this book is that a stranger shows up in town, tells you a secret about your family member and then disappears. And he does this over and over again. For example, Adam Price learns that his wife of 18 years faked a pregnancy two years previously. Ok, I can understand why he would be upset. But I had trouble with the idea that she would bother. I could have bought into it if she had done it to hook him in
Perry
Dec 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
"Well, Mr. Secret Revealer!!!! "

This quote from dialogue between a victim and the titular character bears repeating: "Well, Mr. Secret Revealer!!!! ."

This is not a line in a romantic comedy nor a line offering comic/satiric relief in an otherwise serious novel. No. Instead, and I am not joking, this line is a direct quote taken from serious dialogue in what was intended to be a suspenseful scene.

I acknowledge I'm partly to blame for my inability to overlook scat left floating in the pool of
Lee
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow another great book from Harlan Coben, if you are a fan of his this one will not let you down. We are taken straight into a world full of suspence, excitement and tension, just the way I like it. Great plot and characters that were well developed, you felt like you actually got to know them.
How would you react if you were sitting there, minding your own business, and then someone aka "The Stranger" sits down next to you and says something that will dramatically change your life and make you q
Liz Barnsley
I am a fan, generally speaking, of this author. I havent loved EVERYTHING but for the most part I never fail to get a darned good yarn when I pick up a Harlan Coben novel – I was especially fond of the Myron Bolitar series and his standalone books always have a gorgeously twisted centre to them, a mysterious edge that means you cannot help getting involved.

With “The Stranger” I was utterly hooked. I read it all yesterday, a one sitting read (well interspersed with real life stuff like feeding th
Paula Kalin
Harlan Coben's thriller, The Stranger, is a terrific fast-paced book. Coben, a favorite author of mine, has come up with an interesting novel about web-based secrets.

Out of nowhere a "stranger" approaches Adam Price and tells him about a devastating secret that his wife, Corinne, has kept from him. Then all hell breaks loose. First his wife takes off and a lot of surprises follow. Interesting is all the characters in the book trying to maintain the "American Dream".

Although not Coben's best, it
Cathrine ☯️
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: group-challenge
2.5★
Meh. Just too typical and over stocked with the all too common over-stretched ending.
In particular a main character is referred to as "The Stranger" which struck me as rather silly. I kept thinking of stranger danger and the shadow knows. Pretty much only read the dialog the last quarter of the book in a quest for closure. It left me feeling as lukewarm as this review and obviously outside of the pack with my rating.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
WHO IS THE STRANGER & WHY DOES HE TELL ADAM PRICE A DEVASTING SECRET ABOUT HIS WIFE?? that's what we want to know, I could not stop reading this book I think Harlan Coben is at the top of his game with this one his characters are strong & the plot outstanding I was gripped by every chapter the tension kept building up to a peak then bang were off again.

He is the master of the twist that you didn't see coming I think he is a very highly talented author that keeps up the pace.

What we have
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Someone, a stranger, approaches Adam Price and tells him something provocative about his wife, Corinne...a secret she's kept from him. And so begins a story of deception, mystery and conspiracies that escalate dangerously.

I was immediately drawn into this story, even though much of what we know about all the players is learned after the initial conflict. Determining who's lying, telling the truth or just being deceptive was made much more difficult until I co
Carolyn
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Harlan Coben has been one of my favorite mystery writers , but I was disappointed with this book. I understand I am in the minority here as most readers have rated it highly. I found the many supporting characters lacked sufficient development to make them interesting to me. Coben is the master of suspense and surprising twists, but thought it lacked character development. You may guess the direction it is going from the Gone Girl story, and you may be wrong.
Linda
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Secrets....everybody has them. But there are those individuals who store past actions in a dusty locked box away from prying eyes. Feeling safe? Not necessarily.

The Stranger begins with a beckoning premise. What if someone is privy to that stored information? Just how far would the concentric circles from the thrown stone extend?

Harlan Coben presents the supposition of how safe is safe? Technology allows us access to gazillions of bits of information. Social media spreads nuggets of background i
Andrew Smith
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Adam Price has it all, the beautiful wife, two boys he dotes on, a house in the right part of town and a well paid job as an attorney. He’s living the dream. Then one night a stranger sidles up beside and whispers something in his ear. The nightmare has begun.

I’ve read quite a few Coben thrillers over the years and have found the quality to be variable: from the excellent Tell No One to the dire The Woods. I’d picked this one up cheaply some while ago and was prepared to ditch it if it didn’t
Brenda
4.5s

Adam Price was minding his own business, waiting for the results to see if his son had made the team, enjoying a beer when he heard a quiet voice in his ear – astounded he turned around. The stranger had news to impart; shocking words which were destined to shatter the family unit he was secure in – had been secure in for many years. His wife Corinne, sons Ryan and Thomas and he were extremely happy with their lives; was it all about to come to an end?

Adam was sure what he’d been told wasn’
Alafair Burke
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's impossible to say why THE STRANGER stands out as one of Harlan Coben's best works without giving away too much. So here's what I can say. It has all the trademark stuff that brings you back to his books: a good, decent guy (from Jersey, natch) whose world is turned upside down, dangerous secrets, plenty of nice twists provided by technology and the internet. But on top of familiar landscape, THE STRANGER lays down surprising and risky layers that pay off in spades, putting it right up there ...more
D.B. Woodling
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars

Adam Price, attorney, has a beautiful wife, Corinne, and two sons (Thomas and Ryan) who excel on the Lacrosse field and off. He has a good thing going. Until he doesn’t. The Stranger brings it all to a crashing end when he reveals Corinne’s well-kept secret.

In this cat and mouse tale, Adam’s low-key reaction regarding his missing wife seems discordant, but, in the end, perhaps his lack of concern speaks to the crux of Corinne’s deception. And, as is often the way with fanatics, The Str
Monnie
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, the first thing I'll say is wow! It's been a long time since I really, really didn't want to put a book down - and even longer when I actually put off something important (like cooking dinner) so I could have a few more minutes to read. Okay, you say, then why just 4 stars?

In fact, the dropping of the 5-star rating was decided somewhere around the 80% mark; all the loose ends were tied up neatly by the end, as far as I could tell, but somehow the final package wasn't quite as satisfying (o
Barbara
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it

Adam Price, husband and father of two sons - Ryan and Thomas - attends the youth lacrosse team draft in his New Jersey town to make sure Thomas makes it onto the premier team. Just before the draft begins a young man - who identifies himself as 'the stranger' - tells Adam that his wife Corinne faked her recent pregnancy and miscarriage. Shocked, Adam finds proof and - when Corinne returns from a teacher conference in Atlantic City - confronts her. Corinne basically admits the deception and asks
Gary
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great read by Harlan Coben. This outstanding stand alone novel is action packed and I felt the need to finish it in almost one sitting. I really enjoy the way he writes with a touch of humour and lots of action intermingled with twists and turns. A must read for his fans but I really do recommend his books to any mystery thriller reader.
Jan
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Being a huge fan of Harlan Coben, the long waiting list from the library for the ebook version of Stranger was painful, but expected. (Its now at 169 people waiting so it looks like I jumped on the bandwagon at the right time)
While this certainly wasn't one of his best books that I've read, it certainly doesn't disappoint.
With his usual style he draws you in with solid characters and story lines that keep you guessing and wanting to know more. The pace is perfect, never dragging on, sharing just
Carol
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the pretty wife of attorney Adam Price disappears after an unresolved confrontation regarding a big lie, he seeks out to locate the mysterious stranger who divulged the secret to him discovering a conglomeration of deceitful and ruthless characters.

Although not my favorite COBEN novel. (the Myron Bolitar series remains top dog for me...pun intended) this super fast-paced and engaging mystery was entertaining and filled with a multitude of surprising secrets!

Mandy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Coben has done it again. Another fast paced mystery with a 180 head spin at the end. This novel really makes you think about the "American Dream" and the secrets that our neighbors might harbor. Great novel and I look forward to more of his. Where does he get these great ideas?!?!?!
Emma
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5 star read.
I find myself at that place again: the one where I look for that perfect ratio balance between readability and memorability ( is that even a word?!).
This was 5 star readability but will I recall much of it a month from now? Doubt it. It was formulaic in that most comforting of ways- one I often seek after a tough work week- where I do everything the author is wanting me to do..I ask myself the right questions at the right points in the book, I puzzle over the whodunnit,
Carolyn
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Price is living the American dream, happily married to a woman he loves, two handsome sporty boys, nice house in a peaceful American town. That is until The Stranger comes up to him and whispers a secret in his ear that will threaten everything he holds dear.

This was another excellent mystery from the master storyteller Harlan Coben. The Stranger is a spooky character who goes around wrecking people's lives by telling them secrets about their loved ones. Who is he and why does he do this?
Around the Year i...: The Stranger, by Harlan Coben 2 26 Jun 09, 2016 08:02AM
Girlfriends Book ...: June read 2016 2 3 Jun 04, 2016 12:22PM
your thoughts 4 51 Apr 01, 2016 04:50PM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Stranger, The - September 2015 27 132 Oct 30, 2015 02:40PM
pub date is default of jan 1 1 13 Aug 25, 2015 08:32AM
  • Suspicion
  • Broken Promise (Promise Falls, #1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
  • Motive (Alex Delaware, #30)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • Cane and Abe
  • Desperate
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
  • The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • Someone Is Watching
  • Hostage Taker (Eve Rossi #1)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
“We get mad at someone for cutting us off in traffic or for taking too long to order at Starbucks or for not responding exactly as we see fit, and we have no idea that behind their facade, they may be dealing with some industrial-strength shit. Their lives may be in pieces. They may be in the midst of incalculable tragedy and turmoil, and they may be hanging on to their sanity by a thread. But we don’t care. We don’t see. We just keep pushing.” 19 likes
“but every home is its own island with its own secrets.” 6 likes