Start by marking “The Professor in the Cage: Why Men Fight and Why We Like to Watch” as Want to Read:
The Professor in the Cage: Why Men Fight and Why We Like to Watch

The Professor in the Cage: Why Men Fight and Why We Like to Watch

NA
Published April 14th 2015 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Professor in the Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professor in the Cage

Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Professor, Jonathan Gottschall, asks why men like to fight, and in this book he is talking about fighting for sport, or for fun, not war or other life and death battles. While I don't quite get why men like to box or cage fight, I do get that competition is fun and that it's an extreme form of competition. Not that mysterious. But I am perplexed at the enjoyment seemingly civilized people seem to get from watching others batter each other to a bloody pulp. Although we are in a relatively pea ...more
Reynolds
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was a dried poodle turd. It could've been good, but the guy drones on and on about masculinity and science. I just wanted to hear about your training, bro. If I wanted to read a science book, I wouldn't read one written by an adjunct English comp teacher. I'd read one written by a scientist. See how that works?
Jess C.
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, bjj-mma
I can't even. This book is full of pseudoscience and gender stereotypes. Gottschall takes actual science and facts, relies only on nature arguments, discards nurture arguments, then he takes these facts and submerges them in a mixture of good ol' boys and wanna be a real fighter so bads. For example in one scene his daughter goes inside with his wife and tells him he can't come in and bake cookies (presumably because he is a man). He then waxes on about how men are always on the outside of the f ...more
Jay
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Animals fight; humans fight, too. Women fight; men fight, too. But men are more likely to fight physically and frequently. Some might say men are just asinine in so doing and men ought to be civilized. Jonathan Gotschall, an English professor, argues that men are the way they are owing to many reasons. Better yet, he places himself in the middle of fights to find out why men fight even if death might result. Gottschall had been a wimp, not being able to stand up for himself all his life. He deci ...more
Brad
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise is strong, unfortunately this book soon devolves into a Jordan Peterson-esque smorgasbord of soft science and half-baked philosophy. I think this idea would've worked better as a long personal essay, because as a full-length book it demands a rigorous approach to the many topics the author glides through. Or perhaps a series of essays as there are many disparate concepts in this book that are barely held together with a shallow thesis of reductive biopolitics Yes, people enjoy violen ...more
Rossdavidh
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grey
This is, despite the author's claims, a book about a midlife crisis. But, rather than the tedious routine midlife crisis of divorce, red sports car, and much younger girlfriend, Gottschall (an associate professor in English at a small liberal arts college) decides to take up MMA cage fighting. He's in his late 30's, and claims that deep down he thought it might be a good way to get fired, so that he can move on to something else.

You might conclude from this that Gottschall is kind of a jock, who
Jenn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read about a world I know nothing about.
Alain Burrese
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The Professor In The Cage: Why Men Fight And Why We Like To Watch” by Jonathan Gottschall is a fascinating look at fighting and violence through the eyes of a college professor who not only researching fighting and violence, but joined a MMA gym to train and actually enter the arena to fight. It is well written, eye opening, and an enjoyable read for anyone interested in why men fight and why so many enjoy watching.

Gottschall chronicles his own journey, including his apprehensions and fears, as
Joel Nichols
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bills itself as analysis of make violence but instead is an apology for the same, a repetitive scree about how gender is actually innate (with no evidence btw) and no interrogation of the homophobia he learned during childhood games of smear the queer. There is no scholarship here, just sad, thin memoir. Penguin press and Washington & Jefferson College, his employer, should be ashamed.
Chris Cameron
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out my free summaries at camsreads.com

Elevator Pitch: The Professor in the Cage takes a fascinating look at the historical connection between the civilized violence we express today and it’s origins. If you thought that we are any different from ancient societies you are wrong, we just package it and make it prettier.

Read Time: 5 minutes

Lets begin with this Jonathan Gottschall is hands down one of my favorite storytellers to read. He makes nonfiction and self development feel like a great
Earl Pike
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well researched and very enthralling. Insightful and entertaing. Gottschall spends a lot of time explaining what most conservative, blue collar males already know. so its interesting to see the journey of change he goes through by the end of his book. I really enjoyed the dismantling of martial arts and the subsequent anecdote that follows. All in all, the book, although monotonous at times, was enjoyable and not disagreeable. Give it a read if youre in the mood for male gender study.
jdotpitts
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book that explores why men and women fight and if not fighting why we like to watch fighting. Also makes a strong argument that all sports are really borne out of fighting. What I liked so much about the book is that the author intertwines the discussion with his own training for an amateur MMA fight.
Kusaimamekirai
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an ageing middle aged man who'd rather be home reading and who has never been in a fistfight, I felt an immediate kinship with this author. One of the more interesting questions he raises is how much of being a "man" is putting yourself at risk for physical confrontation? If you have never been properly kicked, stomped, or punched in the face, are you missing a vital part of something?
This in part what lead the author, a 39 year old literature professor, to start training in mixed martial a
Alexandre Contreras
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I started this book hoping to read about the author's experience trying MMA and learning about fighting. Unfortunately, this is only covered briefly in the first and last couple of pages. The book focuses on the history of fighting and why men like it. I was rather disappointed by this, as the basic explanation given is that men have always enjoyed fighting, and women not so much. Still a decent read for MMA fans, but keep expectations low.
Damon
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Nothing profound; an armchair anthropological examination of sports as ritualized violence and the centrality of violence in human nature, especially in males. This is demonstrated through the lens of anecdotes of a low level English lit professor preparing for an MMA match. Both have been done before, and the author admits as much. Nevertheless, it's a quick, entertaining, and thought provoking read if you're into that kind of thing.
Christopher
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The anecdotal / science balance was tilted too much in favor of the former. The gender facts will ruffle social constructivist feathers.
Luke
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is not a fight manual or narration of a fighter's journey. It is an exploration and discussion of why men like to fight, compete, and why we invest so much time, money and energy in competitive pursuits such as combat sports. It discusses the differences between men and woman, how sport is the modern version of ritualised combat/duelling, and how society and culture have changed over time with regards to ritualised combat.

I enjoyed the book a lot. It may not have convinced me on every
Anna Faktorovich
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This book captivated my attention in the “Preface” when Jonathan Gottschall confessed that he was working as a “lowly adjunct making $16,000 per year teaching composition to freshmen who couldn’t care less” in his late thirties (3). When I saw the blurbs and cover in the catalog, I had assumed that this will be a straight-forward history and sociological study of the phenomenon of humans fighting. When I started reading the “Preface,” I could immediately tell that it was written in the conversat ...more
Benjamin
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at the darkness within so many men and how it's kept at bay. Gottschall's observations on the fascination men have with violence and their relationship with it (shame, love, disgust) are worth a read.

It falls short of five stars because I feel at times it can drag on. In addition, it feels like there's something missing that I can't quite place. It's good, but it doesn't quite reach great.
Alexander Shkoruta
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Half of the time felt like "duh", quater of the time was entertaining. I would recommend it to people who thinks that "participating in contact sports indulge people's bloodthurst" and "violent behaviour is socially prescribed" but otherwise you can safely skip it. Especially if you boxed, wrestled, etc. as a kid/adult.
Matthew
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and well-researched look at the roots of masculinity, and how our bizarre forms of modern entertainment serve to keep it alive. For the first time in my life, the appeal of spectator sports makes sense to me. It was a bit slow in places, but the central theme of the book kept tugging forward hard enough to keep most readers engaged.
Abhi Yerra
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would say this part memoir, part a social understanding of male violence, and part him making fun of his colleagues because he was an English Adjunct Professor. It was interesting read because it covered some interesting aspects of how violence is transmitted socially but I thought Demonic Males was a better read for that.
Dave
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm someone that has what most people would consider totally insane views regarding sustainability and environmentalism so glorifying and supporting athletes who consume 6,000-8,000 calories per day and a couple hundred grams of protein (enough for several people), who rely on routine surgeries and expensive physical therapies to stay functional, and who make millions of dollars that they spend on sports cars and mansions and shit all because they have the ambition to be the best at something th ...more
Maria
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-behaviour
An intresting book that cover both behaviour and history linked to MMA and general fighting behaviour in animals.
If you are interested in MMA (and other material arts) or train it, or are a Biologist i would recomend it!
Marsha
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this for my book group and had a great discussion. I have three sons who like to fight and to watch fighting, which I don't understand. Gottschall gives some ideas and possible explanations that I found very interesting. My daughter listened to the audible book and LOVED the narrator.
Ian
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rang too many truth bells...
Rob
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me much more interested in receiving MMA training, but much less interested in taking an MMA fight.
Chris Hess
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was read as part of a Strenuous Life challenge and I was glad for it. Don't think it will turn me into a fighter, but I can certainly see the appeal.
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Refreshing point of view of MMA.
Dag Ryland

• The Code of Man: Love Courage Pride Family Country
  • Mr. Untouchable
  • Heroes, Rogues, and Lovers: Testosterone and Behavior
  • Is There Anything Good about Men?: How Cultures Flourish by Exploiting Men
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You'd Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking
  • Tangled Webs: How False Statements are Undermining America: From Martha Stewart to Bernie Madoff
  • Washington Burning: How a Frenchman's Vision for Our Nation's Capital Survived Congress, the Founding Fathers, and the Invading British Army
  • The Fighter's Mind: Inside the Mental Game
  • The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
  • Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities
  • Three Critics of the Enlightenment: Vico, Hamann, Herder
  • Self and Soul: A Defense of Ideals
  • The Noble Approach: Maurice Noble and the Zen of Animation Design
  • Parenting an Only Child: The Joys and Challenges of Raising Your One and Only
  • The Architecture of Community
Jonathan Gottschall is an American literary scholar, the leading younger figure in literature and evolution. He teaches at Washington and Jefferson College in Pennsylvania. He completed graduate work in English at State University of New York at Binghamton, where he worked under David Sloan Wilson.

His work The Rape of Troy: Evolution, Violence and the World of Homer describes the Homeric epic poem
“At my local big-box bookstore, the gun nut, muscle head, and martial arts magazines are all shelved together in what I call the “masculine anxiety” section.” 3 likes
“Quick. Don’t think about it. Imagine an English professor in your head. No, a male English professor. What do you see? Tweeds? Elbow patches? A high pale forehead with thinning hair combed over? Eyeglasses with designer frames? Oh God, do you see a cravat? His fingernails are clean and white. His palms are silky and uncalloused. If you grip him by his upper arm, your fingers plunge to the bone. He prefers wine to beer. But when he drinks beer, he favors pretentious microbrews that he sniffs and swirls, while waxing on about oaky hints and lemony essences. You are imagining a man, yes, but one whose masculinity is so refined, so sanded down and smoothed away, that it’s hard to see how it differs from femininity. It has been said that the humanities have been feminized. In English departments, where the demographics of professors and students now skew strongly female, this is literally so. But English departments have also been feminized in spirit. There’s a sense in which if you are a guy who wants to be a literature professor, it’s wise to actively suppress all of the offensive cues that you are actually a guy. Or at least that’s how it has always seemed to me. And I think that’s how it seems to most people. In the public mind, teaching English is about as manly as styling hair.” 2 likes