Start by marking “Pulled (A Flawed Short Story)” as Want to Read:
Pulled (A Flawed Short Story)

Pulled

(Flawed)

Eight-year-old Juniper has been labeled many things—troubled kid, orphan, runaway—but none of her foster families have known what she really is: a girl with a unique and brutally inconvenient ability to teleport.

Her spontaneous jumps are not only beyond her control, they get her into trouble. When Juniper disappears, no one believes her wild stories, so she's stopped tryin
ebook
Published July 1st 2014 by Surreal Media Studios (first published June 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Pulled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulled

Camilla Kyndesen
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Pulled” is a great introduction to Becca J. Campbell’s writing and to her “Flawed” series.

The main character is the 8-year-old Juniper, a runaway with a strange ability that she can’t control. Juniper is searching for her place in the world, and along the way she meets other people with a whole range of extraordinary abilities.

The premise is similar to the X-men universe: it’s the real world as we know it, but a few people happen to have a little something extra. Sometimes it’s a dangerous skil
Julz Arimah
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My rating: 10/10, two thumbs up, and a standing ovation.

I was the luckiest girl on Earth to get to be a beta reader for this story.
I fell in love with Juniper right from page one and my adoration for her, and the story in general, only grew with the more pages i read.
The title "Pulled" couldn't be anymore fitting because that's exactly what this story does to the reader. It pulls you in, secures you in a choke hold and doesn't let go until you're finished reading. By then, you're left writhing
Maria
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
After reading Empath, Book 1 in the Flawed Series, last year, I was super excited to see this release from Becca J. Campbell. Pulled is a short story within that series, and it is a departure from Empath as it introduces readers to new characters.

The first character readers meet is 8-year-old Juniper, who has the ability to get pulled to people with other individuals with special powers. At first I was worried that Juniper's being eight would prevent me from falling into the story, but that prov
Laura Thomas
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Juniper is getting ready to sit down to dinner when she’s ‘pulled’ from her foster home and finds herself alongside a deserted highway. Deserted except for a hitchhiker. She knew it was him that had pulled her here. Even if he isn’t aware of it himself. Maybe he doesn’t know he’s a Unique. Someone who can do things ordinary people can’t. Like Juniper.

Now she must find out where she is and get back home, again.

Eight years old now, Juniper has had to deal with this for 5 years. That’s a lot of exp
Keep Calm Novel On
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author provided a copy of the short story in exchange for an honest review.

Becca J. Campbell’s short story Pulled is a companion piece to her Flawed series. It can be read as a stand-alone but I would certainly recommend that it be enjoyed as part of author’s well-written series.

Juniper is an eight-year-old living under the care of social services. She is misunderstood and missing the nurturing that all children require. Her secret ability to teleport adds another layer to her dangerous and
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
Title: Pulled
Author: Becca J Campbell
Genre: YA Fantasy
Format: Ebook
Pages: 30
Rating: 5
Heat: 0

Thoughts: Oooh, I hope we see more of these characters! I find it somewhat amusing that Juniper is a jumper, just the name and the ability lol. I totally feel bad for her though, no one believes that she's anything but a runaway. And not being able to control the jumps makes it that much harder. I really do hope we get to meet her again in the series. Great little story and left me wanting more!

Plea
Mark
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
i just read this advance copy of the short story of pulled. i loved it! you meet juniper and understand more of her world in a few short pages than most folks would of many characters found in full length novels. you may not completely understand her plight but i was rooting for her as she jumps from one quick adventure to the next in quick succession. for those who want an easy and enjoyable read with a bit of sci-fi/fantasy/super-power flair, then i highly recommend this short story that by th ...more
Christina
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pulled by Becca J Campbell is a stand alone short story in the Flawed series about an eight year old girl named Juniper who has a vey special gift.
Just like Empath, the first in the series, Pulled immediately draws you in and gets you invested in the story, which is especially impressive when talking about a short story vs a novel which has the length to get you really hooked.
I'm eager to read more about Juniper, and I hope Becca continues her story in the future.
So don't miss this great insta
Prismseven
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this short story from the author in exchange for a honest review.

This short story introduces us to some new characters in the Flawed Universe. The young main character has the ability to be pulled any where there are humans with a special ability. The possibilities of the storylines are endless with this new character. The characters are so interesting that you finish this snippet of a story before you realize it. Great preview of things to come!
Jennifer Porras
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is originally for young adults, but I found myself very much caught up in the story line. Very well written. Author makes you 'feel'... Feel the characters pain, love, fear etc.. I'm only sorry it's a short story! I would love to follow and read about Juniper in a full length book! Thank you for this.
Bobbi
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bobbi by: Author
Juniper is so young but bears a huge burden. I couldn't imagine being pulled away from my home to someplace strange, to me it would be scary at that young of an age. Juniper handles things quite well considering. From beginning to end, this short story was packed with action and excitement and mystery.

I received this complimentary copy for an honest review.
Jerry Dougherty
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Story about a girl with abilities she doesn't know how to control and a race of people she doesn't know much about. It keeps pulling you in more and more which impressed me for a short story, I was sad that this story ended. Cannot wait until the next one comes out.
Robert August
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
PULLED is a short story in Becca J. Campbell’s “Flawed” series. The first novel in the series, EMPATH, is already out. PULLED is told from the perspective of eight-year-old Juniper. She's a runaway plagued by unplanned and unwanted teleportation incidents; one moment she is one place, and the next moment another. This is her "flaw." It means she is constantly being accused of running away from her foster homes, and of course nobody believes her outrageous explanations. All she knows about this f ...more
scribes23

Amazing! A great new read for supernatural YA readers out there.

(I have been complimentary copy by the author, in the condition that I will post an honest review)

Here is what the story is about:

Juniper is an eight year old adopted kid with the ability to jump,(like the movie "jumper") She has the ability to teleport or leap through place to place.

I was actually kind of hesitant to read this book, because I was afraid I wouldn't fully understand what this is about (because of Book I: Flawed) Bu
J.C. Morrows
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
22 pages is NOT enough!

Darn you Becca!

“Pulled” is a short story in Becca Campbell’s Flawed series and the only complaint I have is that it’s TOO SHORT!

I want more! And I’m sure you will too!

She give us just enough of these new characters to whet our appetite and then she yanks the rug out of from under her reader.

Hopefully, we will see the characters again soon in one of the other novels planned for her Flawed series!

You can find this short novella for Kindle and Nook and I’m told it will short
Rebecca Lovell
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pulled is a short story from the Flawed universe, which I have become completely immersed and attached to. After falling in love with the characters from the main series, I knew I had to read this as soon as I read the description.

I was really able to identify with Juniper, who couldn’t control her power and was frustrated because no one believed her. All of Campbell’s characters are so wonderfully written that it’s like I know them, and the story is so rich that it’s hard to believe it’s just a
Saronai
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this short story more than the first novel in the series, Empath. Considering it's a short story, there's not much to say, other than I wish it were novel-length. I definitely would have enjoyed a Juniper-centric novel in the series. I imagine, however, that the bulk of her story fits in with others later in the series.

This probably isn't great as a stand alone. You can read and understand it without the novels, but there are a few loose ends hanging around after the final scene
Lissyiszy
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Pulled from a younger person's perspective. It's been awhile since I've read a story from an eight year old's perspective but don't let the age deter you. Juniper is clever for her age. I'm terrible with directions so I'm sure if I was her age I would have gotten lost easily.

I had a good time following Juniper on her adventure as she struggles with her ability and trying to find a place to belong. It's something people today still struggle with and I think it's still a universal proble
Jaclynn
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was captured into the world of Juniper almost immediately. Juniper is what they call a Jumper, and I liked the correlation between the two words of Juniper and Jumper. So alike that it is perfect.

The concept of a Unique 8 year old girl with the ability to jump from place to place is a great idea. The concept did remind me of a favorite TV series that was cancelled years ago: Heroes. Both had characters that didn't quite understand what was going on and both had Doctors who were figuring it all
Dormaine G.
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main character is about an 8 year old named, Juniper, who has an ability that she can’t control. She gets pulled away from numerous foster homes to strange cities without her control or any warning. She is considered a runaway by social services because no one believes her gift so she is bounced from foster home to foster home. She wants to belong somewhere but how can she with this ability?

From the beginning you are sucked right into a world of this young girl’s travels to various places. A
Michael Andrews
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Pulled” is an interesting short read that introduces the reader to the “Flawed” universe. I have assumed this is written as a prequel to a future story, “Pulled” introduces the eight year old Juniper, a girl with the ability to be physically transported to the location of other ‘Uniques’, other people with special abilities.
The story is fast flowing, which at twenty eight pages it needs to be, but you are drawn into the plight of the young girl who has been in and out of foster homes due to her
Lindsay
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a copy of this short story for an honest review.

This is certainly a short story. Unless of course I enjoyed it that much, I read it very fast!

Juniper is only age 8, and she has had more foster parents then 'jumps'. Her ability is 'jumping' (or teleports). However, she doesn't do this of her own accord. She seems to jump to others with abilities.

The story seems to be a scene setter for future stories in the series. I like the one reviewer describes it as similar to the X-Men unive
Robin Morgan
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
As an author who has written a book containing 100 Flash Fictions, where the vast majority of which are only 5 sentences long and the longest is about 390 words, I can understand and appreciate what it takes to write a short story like this.

In her short story Ms. Campbell has not only given her readers a beginning, a middle and an ending; she has made sure has given them a short story with decently developed characters, emotions and vivid imagery. With a story package like this, how can I not gi
Justin
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
After Receiving an advance copy of this book, I have to say that I want more! I really like this story of the "special people" who are just learning about their abilities. The Characters are vivid, and easy to read. They feel tangible, as in, I can feel the people and their struggles. The only complaint that I have for this book, is it is way too short. This feels like the first 1-2 chapters of a larger book, and I was disappointed at the end. I was left hanging, hoping for some more short stori ...more
Darlene
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darlene by: Becca J. Campbell
What a cute little story to add to the Flawed series. I loved the young girl who was the main character. I loved the way Becca J. Campbell tells her stories. They always seem believable. Her writing is clear.

BUT I hate short stories. They always leave me with more questions than answers. This is no different. Though the story didn't end in a cliffhanger, it still left me wondering what happened next. What causes the Pull? How did it start?

Oh, it is refreshing to read about a person that isn't i
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eight year old Juniper can transport to different places, sometimes even different cities and she hates it. She wants to belong to a family but how can she when they all think she is intentionally running away?
I loved this short story. It drew me into it's world of ordinary seeming people with unique abilities and left me wanting more about Juniper and the other characters in the story. Anyone that loves super hero, or X-men type stories will love this one. I'd try it even if you don't. Junipe
Hayley
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
To be honest I don't usually read this kind of book BUT when I started to read I was gripped by Juniper and her story of the unknown as a 8 year old girl she is pulled into different situations that she has to get out of.
I would of liked a longer story but as a short story I was gripped and wanting more when I was finished

Worth a good 4.5 * and definitely worth the read
Amber Jones
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This was a very different and intriguing novella

compared to the rest in the flawed series.

I absolutely loved little Juniper. What a sassy

little runaway. She definitely know what she wants

whether other people like it or not.

I would absolutely love to see a full length book

with her story.

5 stars
Elizabeth C
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling Short Story

Juniper stole my heart from the first page. Because she is only eight years old, she faces different challenges than the other characters in the Flawed Series. I would love to read more about her in the future to see what happens to her after this story ends.
Linda Hamonou
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is at the same time cute and terrible.
Cute because it's the story of a little girl who managed to accept herself despite adversity. No matter how the adult react, she knows better.
Terrible because the lack of understanding pushes her away from home.

Pulled is a well written story of hope in a world of unexplainable abilities.

Totally worth the read.
Becca writes New Adult (college age) fiction that's typically Urban Fantasy but often ranges anywhere from Science Fiction to Thrillers. Her writing typically involves a bit of the fantastical with an emphasis on relationships. She is addicted to thinking up cool, super-human abilities and the tragic downsides that go along with them.

Flawed (7 books)
  • Empath (Flawed, #1)
  • Outsider (Flawed, #2)
  • Protector (Flawed, #3)
  • Enchanter (Flawed, #4)
  • Constricted (Flawed #1.5)
  • The Father Hunt (Flawed #3.5)