Start by marking “A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)

A Book of Spirits and Thieves

(Spirits and Thieves #1)

Modern-day sisters discover deadly ancient magic in book 1 of this Falling Kingdoms spin-off series!

Worlds collide in this suspenseful, page-turning Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, which explores a whole new side of Mytica—and an even darker version of its magic.

Crystal Hatcher, Modern-day Toronto: It’s a normal afternoon in her mother’s antique bookshop when Crys witnes
Published June 23rd 2015 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Spirits and Thieves, please sign up.
Kami Morgan decided it didn't connect with Falling Kingdoms before. Now it looks more like the Falling Kingdoms series.

Emily May
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016, young-adult
"My name is Becca Hatcher. I don't know what's happened to me, where I am, or how I got here, but I know one thing. You're going to help me get back home."

There are some authors who just know how to hook you immediately and keep you on the edge of your seat. I don't know exactly what they do - it's something about the perfect tension, perfect amount of surprises, perfect balance between interesting characters and fast-paced plot - but Morgan Rhodes is one of those authors.

I started out quite l
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy
*4.5 stars

This book was not at all what I expected! Specifically the secret society aka basically a cult thing, I didn't see that coming but it was really quite interesting. It was one of my favourite parts of the story because it was so unexpected and interesting to read about.
This book does urban fantasy is a very unique way. It is a bit difficult to explain, but typically urban fantasies (aka low fantasy) have a modern urban setting where there's this magical world that is a part of the real
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don't know what is happening right now!

I love Morgan Rhodes and I love the Falling Kingdoms series, but this one I didn't really like =( The first of it was awesome with Crystal loving photography and the family owning a books store but then I just couldn't get into the rest of it.

I just knew I was going to love this book. Sigh. . . . Now I'm sad. er
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

"As she passed him without even glancing in his direction, he caught the scent of strawberries.
Strawberries were his favorite fruit."

Well, then. Here's my first (and probably last) strawberry review (you're welcome, dickhead) -

Note : please bear in mind that 2 stars from me means that it's okay, and it definitely is, I guess. Not nearly enough to create a great book, but okay. Yet there's nothing in Morgan Rhodes's writing, plot or characters that makes me want to go further than the 50%
Ahmed  Ejaz
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-lengths, 2018
"Weakness was unacceptable. The weak didn’t survive very long—not in the society, not in the world at large."
My expectations weren't high for this book. I didn't even wanted to read this series that much 'cause I couldn't find it. 😅 But when I did, I thought 'why not?'. So ended up finishing the first book of this series.
This is a spin-off series of one of my beloved series, Falling Kingdoms (FK). Well, I can't say it's better than FK. It definitely has potential, but not that of FK's. You c
Jiana
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of Morgan Rhodes's other series, Falling Kingdoms (FK). Naturally, I was beyond excited for the spin-off series, despite that fact that it doesn't feature any of my beloved FK characters and it is set a gazillion years prior to the events of FK. I was also somewhat scared I wouldn't like it for that exact same reason.

Morgan Rhodes never disappoints, that's for sure. I absolutely loved this!

Honestly, I would read anything Morgan Rhodes writes. She has eas
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As many of you probably already know, the Falling Kingdoms series is one of my favorite series of all time! It's definitely one of those types of series that gets better with time as more books come out. But as much as I love Falling Kingdoms, book one was probably my least favorite so far. It's still good, just not as good as the later books.

However, I strongly believe that A Book of Spirits and Thieves was a much better start, compared to Falling Kingdoms, to this wonderful spinoff. I love t
Anne
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, fantasy
Wasn't sure if I would like the fantasy-meets-reality thing, but this turned out to be a lot of fun.
Lainey
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read: January 2015
Reread: June 2015

My non-spoiler video review of ABOSAT can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFUlH...

I love this book, I love this world. This is my series.

------
Jan Review:

A lot of people know how much I love the Falling Kingdoms series and Morgan Rhodes, so I still went into aBoSaT with an open mind. I'll admit, I was unsure how the combination of Mytica and modern-day Toronto was going to play out, but no more than thirty pages in, I was hooked.

Since this boo
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

A Book of Spirits and Thieves introduces a new series set in Falling Kingdoms’s Mytica universe.

When old and present worlds collide? What will happen?

When Crystal Hatcher opened the package that is not address for her. She saw the impossible.  Becca, her little sister slips into a coma after touching the magical book. She was somehow transported in Ancient Mytica, there Becca met Maddox Corso. And he is the key on her way home.

Introducing Farrell Grayson, one of the membe
Radmila
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
4,25 STARS!!!

"Bright is life. Dark is death."

Another great book from my favorite author Morgan Rhodes. This book is different from her previous series Falling Kingdoms. Why? Because the action of the book take places in Mytica and in our world.

The book starts with Crystal/ Crys.

Crys is a rebel teenager, without any plans for her future. She enjoys taking photos of random people she sees on the street. She is living with her mother and sister Becca, working in their own bookshop. One day, packag
Caitlin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, 4-stars
Bright is life. Dark is death.

Buddy read with the only person who understands my addiction to the Falling Kingdoms series and anything related to it, May, who I actually spent the last hour arguing with about who gets Magnus.

After absolutely loving the Falling Kingdoms series I had extremely high expectations for this. I wasn't disappointed at all but there was still something missing from this book that left it at 4 stars. Now, you're probably wondering, is this better than Falling Kingdoms?
Joelle (Throne of books)
*3.75 stars*
I want to start off by saying that Falling Kingdoms has become one of my all time favorite series. While Falling kingdoms was more along the lines of an introduction to the world of Mytica, it captivated my attention and made me fall in love with the world.
However, that being said, A Book Of Spirits and Thieves fell a little flat for me. In my personal opinion, ABOSAT was a far more inferior start to this spin-off to Falling Kingdoms. While I really enjoyed this, I believe Fallin
Cheska
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually not a fan of urban fantasy books but wow this is an exception! Like always, Morgan Rhodes delivers a fast-paced story with a gripping plotline and likable characters that you can't help but ship together. However, I definitely enjoyed the modern time more compared to Ancient Mytica (which is a first) and I'm looking forward to seeing more of what goes around in Modern Toronto in the second book The Darkest Magic !

I can't help but constantly compare this book to Falling Kingdoms while
Jillian
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

A good start to what I think will be a really cool series, but ultimately it fell short in a few areas. However, some really great exciting moments that really fleshed out the history of Mytica for FK fans. I do prefer FK to this though.

My more complete thoughts to come.
ambsreads
I love it! Jesus, this book wasn't quite as good as Falling Kingdoms, but still enjoyable and falling under my favourite genre - urban fantasy.

Full review to come.
Fables&Wren
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

Well hey, this was pretty neat.

Rhodes basically just made me believe that there is a book out there waiting for me to touch it so I can go into the worlds she created. I mean, how neat is it to think that some of the amazing worlds you read about are real? Like Narnia? Middle Earth? These too classic worlds have lead you to believe they are connected to our world.
This book leads you to believe our world is connected to Mythica.

So there is this secret society that basically pl
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating 4.75 stars
---------
I really loved this one - not quite as much as the original series, but it was a great start to a new one! I really enjoyed the new characters and thought it was so interesting to learn the origin stories of our new cast! Excellent ending that had good wrap up for book 1 but also lots of intrigue for the next book! :D
may ❀

V v v anticipated buddy read with real life Cleo I refuse to believe I'm Nic, I will fite you on this till book #6 is released

I initially thought that this book was would a very close fitted spin-off of the Falling Kingdom series but wow, it’s so much more fast paced and interesting.

description

A Book of Thieves and Spirits, offers a wonderful rendition of a modern spinoff of the Falling Kingdoms series. It shares the same various point of views that were offered in the initial series but in a m
Drew
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Here we have yet another traditional YA fantasy.

I think everyone knows what "traditional" means by now - a main character who has magical powers but doesn't know they're special yet, an evil ruler dictating the land, plot twists, action, and some romance thrown in the batch.

I'm sorry to say it, but the world building was laughable. The fantasy realm literally consisted of an evil villainess ruling over everyone, some people having magical powers, and some poor villagers. There were no details or
Maria
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Carol
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can I just give this book ALL the stars?! I can't even write down my thoughts at this moment.

BOOK REVIEW (NON SPOILER): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcc9X...
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

AGH I LOVE MORGAN RHODES!! And I LOVE Farrell. What a yummy specimen of a boy :P

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Erica 📚♋️✨🌸
Loved loved this book so much the characters were all amazing just as good as the characters in the falling kingdoms series if your hesitant to pick this book up please don’t be it’s amazing
Melanie
I think I made the mistake of expecting too much from this book, because I was coming off a Falling Kingdoms binge reading high. I wanted so much, and this story just fell short. It wasn't that I was expecting Magnus and ended up being disappointed, this story just lacked the magic (pun not intended) that Falling Kingdoms has.

It took me forever to even care about these characters, maybe with the exception of Maddox. I'm all about slow burns, but people help me figure out what is going on. Once t
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Loved this! I can't wait to find out what happens next. I loved Becca and Maddox and I look forward to them being reunited. I also love Crystal. She was kick-ass. Didn't care for Farrell too much though. Even before he got his second mark he was a bit of an asshole. I am curious to see what happens to his character though, especially after that ending. He's a troubled young man but he is certainly no Magnus.
Nazeefa
4.5 but Farrell Grayson though ^-^
Morgan Rhodes's characterization is my favourite part about her books.Just like in Falling Kingdoms, she perfectly executes the flawed, addictive yet endearing characters. The characters sucked me in and the plot is super twisty and fast-paced, making for an overall extremely engaging experience.
Morgan admitted that as she's kept writing the series, she's become more in tune with the magic and the mythology of Mytica and it shows. A Book of Spirits in Thieves e
Maye
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
“His fear vanished and was replaced with steely determination. He would not let the spirit hurt this girl. He would not let anyone hurt this girl.”
Daaang, the disappointment is real. I'm a big fun of the Falling Kingdoms series which is why I had the highest expectations for this spin-off series. Sadly, this was the flattest Morgan Rhodes book I've ever read. I didn't find the characters exciting or interesting, the plot was slow and predictable, and I just didn't care what happens next. Howev
Ishmeen
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooo I just binged this book in a day but no surprises there since it’s a Morgan Rhodes book and once you pick one of those up... well good luck putting that down 😂 And guess who just bought the second book coz boiii I need more of:

• Crystal’s sass (teach me yo ways gurl 🔥and some of your photography skills too)
• Farrell’s ACTUAL emotions plz yes thank you now would be a good time to end the torture (both his and mine🌚)
• for that ship to sail^^^^^
• AND MORE OF MADDOX COZ MY BOI IS POWERFUL A
Nadhira Satria
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dear ladies and gentlemen,
I am here to say that I’m Inexplicably, unequivocally and utterly in love with Farrell Grayson. Thank you for the attention and good night

RTC

Buddy read with this little shit again
Falling Kingdoms ...: Book Talk: A Book of Spirts and Thieves 2 11 Apr 30, 2016 06:34AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 27, 2015 10:46AM

• Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Daughter of Dusk (Midnight Thief, #2)
  • The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3)
  • A Fool's Errand (The Gypsy King #2)
  • Blood Passage (Dark Caravan Cycle, #2)
  • Runaways #1
  • Zodiac Starforce #1
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • Woven
  • The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise, #1)
  • Stone in the Sky (Tin Star, #2)
  • Souls Untethered (The Souls Untethered Saga #1)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Daughter of Deep Silence
  • An Inheritance of Ashes
  • Nameless (Nameless, #1)
Morgan Rhodes lives in Ontario, Canada. As a child, she always wanted to be a princess -- the kind that knows how to wield a sharp sword to help save both kingdoms and princes from fire-breathing dragons and dark wizards. Instead, she became a writer, which is just as good and much less dangerous. Along with writing, Morgan enjoys photography, travel, reality TV, and is an extremely picky, yet vor ...more

Spirits and Thieves (4 books)
  • The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)
  • The Cursed Heir (Spirits and Thieves, #3)
  • Obsidian Blade
“Tears aren't just for babies. They're proof that you feel something and aren't afraid to show it. It's those that won't ever allow themselves to cry that are the weak ones.” 24 likes
“I want to be respected. I want to be powerful. And yes, I want to be special. I want to leave a mark on this world so no one forgets who I was.” 10 likes