Start by marking “Jhegaala (Vlad Taltos, #11)” as Want to Read:
Jhegaala (Vlad Taltos, #11)

Jhegaala

(Vlad Taltos #11)

Fresh from the collapse of his marriage, and with the criminal Jhereg organization out to eliminate him, Vlad decides to hide out among his relatives in faraway Fenario. All he knows about them is that their family name is Merss and that they live in a papermaking industrial town called Burz.

At first Burz isn't such a bad place, though the paper mill reeks to high heave

Published July 8th 2008 by Tor (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jhegaala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jhegaala

Bradley
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
This 11th book takes us back in time to the point where he'd just left his wife and needed a place to hide away from all the hoards and hoards and hoards of people he'd pissed off, long before he became a godslayer.

Wanna move back home, Vlad? All fine and dandy, except these human yokels have never heard of you and the reverse is also true. Oh, Vlad, what are you doing here?

Well, suffice to say, he gets embroiled in a murder investigation, gets tortured, and discovers that going back to the old
Jim
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Another interesting, but rather confusing story from Brust with one of my favorite characters in fiction. That means I was somewhat disappointed. I don't know if I'm just not able to pay proper attention since I only get to read in snatches of 30 minutes or so at a time or if Brust is just getting more obscure, but I have a feeling it is the latter. I like books that make me think, have subtle story lines & mysteries, but this was too unsolvable. When the story finally came together, it just ...more
Terence
Apr 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Followers of Vlad Taltos' checkered career
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I've enjoyed Steven Brust for many years now, ever since reading To Reign in Hell, though I think he has a tendency to become too self-consciously arch in his writing (a tendency that ruined all the subsequent novels in his Khaavren Romances sequence after the first one). Fortunately, that habit is more often muted than not in the Vlad Taltos novels.

I enjoyed the first few novels in the sequence when they seemed to be going...somewhere. But now they seem to have fallen into a holding pattern not
Jamie Collins
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another entertaining Vlad Taltos book. This one is set chronologically just after Phoenix, and Vlad is newly on the run from the Jhereg, who will kill him completely dead if they find him.

Not having any particular place to go, Vlad decides to visit his mother’s hometown, where he discovers that something hinky is going on. The first half of the book is slow - Vlad walks around, asks questions, eats dinner, complains about the coffee, etc.. The action picks up significantly in the second half, wh
Contrarius
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This installment in the Vlad Taltos series was a sort of comedic murder mystery/comedy of errors -- only with waaaay too much pain to be funny. And Brust made certain that readers drew this parallel by including snippets from a fictional murder mystery play (think Thin Man mysteries, or Jeeves and Wooster) at the beginning of each chapter. Those snippets were pretty hysterical at times; the mystery itself, not quite so much. But I understood the spirit of the thing -- there was poor Vlad flounde ...more
Susan
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I'd have to call this one of the less exciting reads in an outstanding series. If you like fantasy, Brust's Taltos series is just amazing. It's about an assassin (who eventually leaves his trade) and his dragon familiar and their adventures with the Empire, a goddess, various near-immortals, and occasionally his very wise grandpa.

The problem with this particular book is that Vlad is sort of wandering around, wondering what to do, filling time, and then trying to make sense of a town and situatio
Hallie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
I loved this step back in time, although the truth about Vlad's time back east (immediately after he fled the Jhereg) is pretty grim. I'll possibly come back to this but whether it's simply me or whether it's that Vlad and I share very few personality traits, or whether Brust and I see relationships differently, I DO NOT GET the one thing Vlad and Cawti have in common: a hatred of having been saved by anyone. It would make sense if one was relatively powerless and had to sit at home waiting to b ...more
Christopher
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
A forgettable episode, probably irrelevant to the overall story. It's a fast read, like all Vlad Taltos stories, but this one is low on action, low on wit, low on fantasy elements, and devoid of interesting characters other than the protagonists. It's basically a pulp detective story--a man comes to a small town, gets beaten up, and tries to figure out why (cf. everything from Hammett's Red Harvest to Child's Nothing to Lose)--but it's missing the gritty violence and stark imagery. A bunch of cr ...more
Ties
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
A story without all the characters I like. Not worth it to be honest
Becky
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, dragon
It was good to see Vlad among the Easterners.
Karen
Oct 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
I like some of Steven Brust's other books in the Taltos series but really didn't care for this one. There were very few interesting characters, I spent a bunch of the book confused about what was going on, and overall the story was very dark (torture, dead children, etc). I really didn't enjoy this one.
Michael
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, epic-fantasy
This book was not that good of a Vlad Taltos novel. The first 60% of the book was Vlad going out, complaining about the smell, talking to one or two people, then going back to the inn he was staying at.

I will say that the last 15% of the book was actually pretty good.

I really hope that this ends up being the low point of the series.
Guy
Aug 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Wow. I really like almost all of the other books in this series (Teckla is the other one I didn't really like), but this has to be the worst. In fact, let's all just pretend this book never happened.
Chy
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Okay, seriously, lay it out straight for me: What is this cover?

Heh.

The only thing I can figure is that it's the that's-not-Loiosh-dragon-thing they like to put on the covers, only...metamorphized (I like this word better than any 'real' ones). I mean, it's definitely not a jhegaala (which is very near like a winged frog.)

So...anyway. Enough about the cover.

I skimmed my previous review (immediately follows this one), but I don't feel right about rereading it. I know I probably both enjoyed it mo
Jefferson
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steven Brust plays a long game. The Vlad Taltos series is planned to be 19 books, one book for each of the seventeen Dragaeran houses, one book for Vlad himself, and one to wrap it all up. Here, in the 11th book, we find Vlad traveling East to the land of the humans to find his family. Wait... he already had traveled there, he talks about it in previous books, and he sustains some serious injuries which he already had, but now he's healed though he never explained... hold on...

Oh, that's right.
Alex
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok really, it's like 4.5. I highlighted so many little turns of phrase that just tickled me. I always do with these books.

They're fun, dammit.

If the model for these books is "Vlad acts like a member of the house mentioned in the title, which acts like the animal for which the house is named," this is a bit of a stretch. I get that Jhegaala are known for metamorphosis. They adapt to their environment, but also they go through a cycle of change. Ok maybe that works here?

Mostly, this felt like a
Suz
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a bit of a departure from the previous books. It does another jump back in time to just after Teckla, wherein Vlad travels to the East to find his mother's family, only a bunch of trouble shows up instead.

I really appreciated the "aw shucks" unpleasant keystone caper that happens around him, and how it's different from the usual mob style stuff that's going on.

I wasn't as much of a fan of the play snippets at the beginning of each chapter, and honestly, I thought the "Jhegaala" natural
oguz kaan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
Scott Shjefte
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Book grasps the concept that great accomplishments can occur with minimal actions. Perhaps that hurricane causing flapping butterfly wing in Africa was really Vlad Taltos. In someways this story is not as interesting as previous ones as it deals with our own well defined stereotypical human characters instead of nonhumans but it is a nice change of pace, although the action also boughs down here and there. Revenge and justice served are motivational and ethical issues left at the readers doorste ...more
Scott
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In where we find out what happened to Vlad when he went east. The story was good and typical of Brust, but I did not care for the ending much. Basically just a large info dump after the main events are over.

Still, it was entertaining and fun and exciting and that’s what I’ve come to expect from this series
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent novel in this series. Interesting to see what a village of Easterners looks like. The end of the book gets a little difficult... I have to remind myself that we have seen Vlad in books chronologically later than this, so he does make it past these difficulties.
D.
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read and entry to Vlad's journey. I think what I loved best was how much Vlad was out of place among his own biological kind and seeing him have to deal with an investigation without his crew.
Miramira Endevall
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story more than the last two. I really got bogged down in the few books that are nothing but the 'breakup blues.'
LadyCroft86
Not the best Vlad tale, none of the better characters were in this one, so it was a bit boring to get through. Ready to go to the next one. 3 out of 5 stars.
Kristjan
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pulp-fantasy
Enjoyed his humor as usual

Enjoyed his humor and story as usual. He is very tongue and cheek which makes the story fun and entertaining as well as intriguing.
Pascale
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it. I was hoping he'd find more about hs family though...
Gene
A bit of a slower pace than the last few Taltos books. Interesting to see an all-human story.
Devon H.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The take in which Vlad goes to live among his own, the people his wife left him to save, and discovers they’re just as awful as the Dragaerans. Yippee skippee.
David Fuller
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In a genre better known for sprawling, multi-volume epics, American writer Steven Brust's fantasy novels are a tonic: short, snappy and blessed with a sense of humour.

His take on a tired genre is to use it as background for noirish thrillers and mysteries -- complete with a cynical, honest and wisecracking narrator, Vlad Taltos.

Jhegaala is the 11th in his long-running series about Vlad, an assassin-turned-fugitive, which began with 1983's Jhereg.

Brust has drawn from his own Hungarian ancestry fo
John
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nothing except moving and getting married in the same week could have stopped me from reading this book when it came out July 8. As it happened, I only got my grubby paws on it a couple days ago and tore right through it.

First, some background. This is the 11th book in the adventures of Vlad Taltos. The story started with a book called Jhereg, originally published in 1983 and now reprinted in a collection with the next two books in the series. Here, we were introduced to Vlad Taltos, an "Eastern
Dragaera: Jhegaala 1 4 Oct 12, 2012 01:40AM
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Paragon Lost
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • The Skewed Throne (Throne of Amenkor, #1)
  • Knighthood of the Dragon (DragonMaster, #2)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • Precious Dragon (Detective Inspector Chen, #3)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume II
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)

Vlad Taltos (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1)
  • Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2)
  • Teckla (Vlad Taltos, #3)
  • Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5)
  • Athyra (Vlad Taltos, #6)
  • Orca (Vlad Taltos, #7)
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)
“Most people seem to take pleasure in feeling superior to someone. I'm not like that, which pleases me because it makes me feel superior.” 36 likes
“There’s nothing worse than a smartass who pretends not to understand hyperbole.” 4 likes