Start by marking “Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World” as Want to Read:
Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World

Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World

You’d better stand up for this bit of news.

Sitting can wreak havoc on your health, and not just in the form of minor aches and pains. Recent studies show that too much sitting contributes to a host of diseases—from obesity and diabetes to cancer and depression—and literally shortens your life. The facts are in: your chair is your enemy, and it is murdering your body. I
Published April 26th 2016 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published September 15th 2015)

Start your review of Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World
Raphael
Sep 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Raphael by: Fearmongering
What a bunch of quackery. It's been a while since I've read of page of this, and I've since learned that most of what is in this book is crap and exaggerated.

See the following links for much less biased information (backed by non cherry-picked sources, and meta-studies) than what is present in this book:

DNF.
Phoebe
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't read this book. I did, however, check it out of the library because I was highly tickled by what I felt was a somewhat unchecked use of hyperbole. I perused the very expressive text, looked at the pictures and giggled (yes, all at the same time.) Then I returned the book to the library -lugging the enormous tome in my bike panniers. Following, a curious thing happened: I started using the laptop bars at cafes as standing tables, I discovered ways to stand and do work at my local librari ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the book in ebook format, which I regret doing. This format is not well suited for the book as it encourages constant flipping between pages and the images were hard to see on kindle (they were just too small and when enlarged you had to scroll around).
The book itself was well written and during the introduction and setting of the situation it read like a doomsday story, making you feel bad about yourself and your sedentary future.
I came to this book as an active person who recently (18 m
Mark Moon
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Important stuff! I will probably be using this as a reference for years to come. My posture has already improved, and I am continuing to make progress, both on my range of motion and on combatting my sitting habits.
Cody Lasko
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Comprehensive and eye opening, this is a good resource for those struggling with postural related physical ailments. The text is presented in typically well organized Starrett fashion and if this is your first exposure to the MOB WOD guru then there’ll be a lot of value here. But, if you’re like me and many others and have already worked on much of the Supple Leopard material, there isn’t going to be a lot to add to your already vast library of mobilization tools and strategies.

I commend what K
Katherine Green
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Ten stars. This book literally changed my life. I am so grateful that Kelly Starrett wrote a book for people who are not athletes. I never knew how to care for my body, and as I got older it had become a challenge to figure out how to get in shape without hurting myself. I had terrible back problems - to the point I couldn't get dressed or out of a car without pain - until I found this book. I've learned how to work my muscles in ADDITION to stretching to find relief and allow myself to ...more
Vinod Kurup
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Erin Mullaney for recommending this. I agree that anyone who sits at a desk should read this. It was worth it just to learn how to stand properly without getting tired. I had to return it to the library before I got to follow any of the"exercise prescriptions" but I'd like to try them sometime.
Sir Readalot
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
★★½

The content of this book, at best, deserves to be no longer than 30 pages long (that's just me being polite, I think this book can be summarized in one of those fact filled images you see on Instagram). Although the message it wants to convey is important, and it's tips are useful, but flipping through 360+ pages long is not worth it. I'd just suggest the reader to Google this shit and save their time.
Fullfaun Faun
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear directions on how to transition to a standing desk, how to help you in airplane seats and driving in a car.

The first elementary school that only has standing desks and how much healthy the kids are.
Jamie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a super comprehensive book and was too much to get through on a limited library loan period, but I do recommend it for anyone who is looking to realign their bodies and get healthier from the inside out!
Glenda
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sitting is the new smoking"... yeah, yeah - we see this everywhere. At least this book gives you some practical exercises and adjustments that can help you do something about it, since for most of us, our day jobs aren't going to chance anytime soon.

I like that he acknowledges that not everyone can go immediately from sitting to standing all day, that you can create bad standing habits as well, and it's more about moving more that will be the most beneficial.

I've started doing the exercises; it
Greg
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book by genius physical therapist Dr. Kelly Starrett. The book postulates that much of our physical dysfunction is rooted in the fact that we sit at desks (or behind the wheel of a police cruiser) for too much time. The book provides specific prescriptions to counteract the damage of sitting too much. It goes beyond that, however. If you have random knee pain, an aching low back, TMJ issues, or even "tennis elbow" from shooting too much, this book has a prescription to fix i ...more
David
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here's the way I see it: most of us spend the majority of our lives sitting (yes, we sit more than we sleep or do any other activity), so we should spend at least a few hours reading about how to do it.

The great thing about Deskbound is that it looks at the whole picture when it comes to our relationships with our chairs: posture, body mechanics, risks, exercise, prescriptions. I would take it a step farther and say that this book should be titled The Office Worker's Manual for The Body.
Zach
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Certainly worth reading by those of us (myself very included) who spend most of our time sitting, either at work or at home or both. This book does a good job presenting the various negative health effects of that lifestyle, debunks some common myths, and offers useful suggestions to incorporate more movement into your lifestyle. I'd recommend it to other lazy bums.
yamiyoghurt
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: body
Easy to read, easy to apply. The advice resonate with my beliefs and the mobilization techniques were particularly useful. This book is a good reference for taking care and doing something for the body.
Sebas JP
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I only have one word for this book: Essential
Tiberiu Pana
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Found Kelly Starrett through youtube video, than his website and finally this book.

Usually health books tend to push some products, some more aggressive than others, but most annoyingly they use words like: probably, should, maybe and expressions like: not researched, but I believe, I'm sure that, other stuff is well researched but I don't believe it...and so on. None of that here.

The author gives pure advice from years of experience of working with patients of all ages. Nothing ground breaking
Andrew
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book, which may be utilised in isolation or in conjunction (as a complimentary text) with Dr. Kelly Starrett's other publications, to utilise as a suitable reference for advancing & maintaining personal mobility.
Presented in like kind to the authors other publications, simply directly applied within an office setting.
I strongly recommend the authors fundamental mobility philosophies (opposing convention - by suggesting utilisation of athletic training to refine personal mobility via person
Mattheus Guttenberg
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, fitness
Designed to combat the evils of perpetual sitting, Deskbound is both an education in the principles of human mobility and a complete recovery kit for those living the "deskbound" life. Starrett relates the importance of posture to your health and mobility, teaches the reader how to stand, sit, walk, and even lie down correctly, and offers a comprehensive mobilization strategy to fix stiff joints, rounded shoulders, tight muscles, back pain, etc. that accompanies endless sitting. Office workers n ...more
Charlotte Rich-Griffin
I didn't read from cover to cover but I read about half and skimmed the rest.
Whilst I believe in the central concept of the book, sitting for long periods of time is detrimental to our health, I am unconvinced by Starrett's extremely prescriptive approach to solving it. After the first chapter, he forgoes any references or scientific reasoning for why his approach is good. A lot of his ideas do not seem to be evidence based and I do not buy into the idea that his way of standing is fundamentally
Jessica
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
So... if you listen to the authors, your f^cked if you sit at a desk. I am not one to be so extreme. I did find ingenious ways to add more movement to my day and some specific practices to prevent much of the pain I experience at the end of a 10 hour day.

In a perfect world, we'd all get to be hunter-gatherers again and full of life. Unfortunately, many of us become corporate zombies and are sentenced to a life of sitting.

The book is interesting. I found it tough to chunk the information into us
Kaja Trees
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book teaches you to stand the right way (at the standing desk) so you don't hurt yourself. It also teaches a series of exercises and tells you to do a set of those each day for 15 minutes - but let us be honest, barely anyone beside fitness fanatics will do it that often. Rather, it convinced me to put more focus on yoga and stretching exercises instead, to balance out the sitting I unavoidably do at work every day (which is soon to be changed!).
Ivan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book shows us how we hurt ourselves on a daily basis and how we can correct that. Very accessibly explains common causes of modern day aches , gives very easy to follow guidelines to addressing aches or how to setup your environments (work, sleep,leisure) for better health. Invaluable resource if you are a desk worker. I keep coming back to the book every time I feel any of my setups might not be working great for me.
Jordan Chicano
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good booking showing the importance of standing and moving compared to the sedimentary lifestyle. The mobility techniques at the end are all very similar to his 1st book Becoming a Supple Leopard.

Key Take Aways:
Stand if you can
Every 30 or so minutes, mobilize for 2
Pushups & Squats are great for you
15 minutes a day for daily maintenance
Proper prosture is crucial and will help eliminate pain.
Lyuben
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A big fan of Kelly already so this is a bit biased.
I really enjoyed how the information in the book is presented in a clear and simple way, giving simple and to the point steps on what to do to approach a problem area. Definitely worth a read(it's not that big anyway and we all care about our bodies).
Teemu Suoranta
Lot of good knowledge but book was not the best format for this. Two thirds of contents would have been better and easier to understand as a video series. Book also makes you flip pages back and forth as there is bunch of "read more here" links in Kindle version. One pages had total of five "here" links. All in all, I'm still glad I read it through.
Patrick Caldera
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good, though if you've followed mobility wod online for any length of time or taken their seminar there may be much less new information. The best parts for me were the parts regarding specifically to managing office life for mobility.
Kennedy Assoumou
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's changed the way I approach my body and it's capacities. There is a lot of adjustment and work to realise the benefits this book illustrates, but I'm already feeling better and looking forward to read more from the author
Lindsay
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great reference book from Kelly Starrett. I learned a lot about myself & my own sedentary lifestyle. I learned a lot about posture and some of the areas I need to focus on. ...more
Bas
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's good. If you have read supple leopard there isn't much new here, but it's good for the general population and I think every office should have a copy.
« previous 1 3 next »
Polska / Poland: Usunięcie edycji 3 43 Dec 27, 2018 04:33AM

• Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
  • Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • The Quick and the Dead: Total Training for the Advanced Minimalist
  • The World's Fittest Book: How to train for anything and everything, anywhere and everywhere
  • The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
  • Chasing Excellence: A Story About Building the World's Fittest Athletes
  • Move Your DNA Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy
  • Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
  • Glute Lab: The Art and Science of Strength and Physique Training
  • Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
  • Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Boost Brainpower, Increase Focus, and Maximize Performance-in Just Two Weeks
  • Beyond 5/3/1: Simple Training for Extraordinary Results

News & Interviews

“the cold, hard truth is that exercise will not reverse the potentially harmful and irrefutable effects that too much sitting has on our bodies.” 3 likes
“we had to solve the same set of physical problems related to sitting—tight hips, low back and neck pain, shoulder restrictions . . . the list goes on and on. It” 1 likes