Start by marking “Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World” as Want to Read:
Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World

Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World

You’d better stand up for this bit of news.

Sitting can wreak havoc on your health, and not just in the form of minor aches and pains. Recent studies show that too much sitting contributes to a host of diseases—from obesity and diabetes to cancer and depression—and literally shortens your life. The facts are in: your chair is your enemy, and it is murdering your body. In
Published April 26th 2016 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published September 15th 2015)

Phoebe
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't read this book. I did, however, check it out of the library because I was highly tickled by what I felt was a somewhat unchecked use of hyperbole. I perused the very expressive text, looked at the pictures and giggled (yes, all at the same time.) Then I returned the book to the library -lugging the enormous tome in my bike panniers. Following, a curious thing happened: I started using the laptop bars at cafes as standing tables, I discovered ways to stand and do work at my local librari ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
I read the book in ebook format, which I regret doing. This format is not well suited for the book as it encourages constant flipping between pages and the images were hard to see on kindle (they were just too small and when enlarged you had to scroll around).
The book itself was well written and during the introduction and setting of the situation it read like a doomsday story, making you feel bad about yourself and your sedentary future.
I came to this book as an active person who recently (18 m
Raphael
Sep 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Raphael by: Fearmongering
Shelves: did-not-finish
What a bunch of quackery. It's been a while since I've read of page of this, and I've since learned that most of what is in this book is crap and exaggerated.

See the following links for much less biased information (backed by non cherry-picked sources, and meta-studies) than what is present in this book:

DNF.
Cody Lasko
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Comprehensive and eye opening, this is a good resource for those struggling with postural related physical ailments. The text is presented in typically well organized Starrett fashion and if this is your first exposure to the MOB WOD guru then there’ll be a lot of value here. But, if you’re like me and many others and have already worked on much of the Supple Leopard material, there isn’t going to be a lot to add to your already vast library of mobilization tools and strategies.

I commend what K
Fullfaun
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear directions on how to transition to a standing desk, how to help you in airplane seats and driving in a car.

The first elementary school that only has standing desks and how much healthy the kids are.
Jamie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a super comprehensive book and was too much to get through on a limited library loan period, but I do recommend it for anyone who is looking to realign their bodies and get healthier from the inside out!
Zach
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Certainly worth reading by those of us (myself very included) who spend most of our time sitting, either at work or at home or both. This book does a good job presenting the various negative health effects of that lifestyle, debunks some common myths, and offers useful suggestions to incorporate more movement into your lifestyle. I'd recommend it to other lazy bums.
Vinod Kurup
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Erin Mullaney for recommending this. I agree that anyone who sits at a desk should read this. It was worth it just to learn how to stand properly without getting tired. I had to return it to the library before I got to follow any of the"exercise prescriptions" but I'd like to try them sometime.
Mark Gomer
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Important stuff! I will probably be using this as a reference for years to come. My posture has already improved, and I am continuing to make progress, both on my range of motion and on combatting my sitting habits.
Sebas JP
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I only have one word for this book: Essential
Tiberiu Pana
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Found Kelly Starrett through youtube video, than his website and finally this book.

Usually health books tend to push some products, some more aggressive than others, but most annoyingly they use words like: probably, should, maybe and expressions like: not researched, but I believe, I'm sure that, other stuff is well researched but I don't believe it...and so on. None of that here.

The author gives pure advice from years of experience of working with patients of all ages. Nothing ground breaking
Mattheus Guttenberg
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, fitness
Designed to combat the evils of perpetual sitting, Deskbound is both an education in the principles of human mobility and a complete recovery kit for those living the "deskbound" life. Starrett relates the importance of posture to your health and mobility, teaches the reader how to stand, sit, walk, and even lie down correctly, and offers a comprehensive mobilization strategy to fix stiff joints, rounded shoulders, tight muscles, back pain, etc. that accompanies endless sitting. Office workers n ...more
Glenda
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sitting is the new smoking"... yeah, yeah - we see this everywhere. At least this book gives you some practical exercises and adjustments that can help you do something about it, since for most of us, our day jobs aren't going to chance anytime soon.

I like that he acknowledges that not everyone can go immediately from sitting to standing all day, that you can create bad standing habits as well, and it's more about moving more that will be the most beneficial.

I've started doing the exercises; it
Kaja Trees
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book teaches you to stand the right way (at the standing desk) so you don't hurt yourself. It also teaches a series of exercises and tells you to do a set of those each day for 15 minutes - but let us be honest, barely anyone beside fitness fanatics will do it that often. Rather, it convinced me to put more focus on yoga and stretching exercises instead, to balance out the sitting I unavoidably do at work every day (which is soon to be changed!).
David
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here's the way I see it: most of us spend the majority of our lives sitting (yes, we sit more than we sleep or do any other activity), so we should spend at least a few hours reading about how to do it.

The great thing about Deskbound is that it looks at the whole picture when it comes to our relationships with our chairs: posture, body mechanics, risks, exercise, prescriptions. I would take it a step farther and say that this book should be titled The Office Worker's Manual for The Body.
Lyuben
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A big fan of Kelly already so this is a bit biased.
I really enjoyed how the information in the book is presented in a clear and simple way, giving simple and to the point steps on what to do to approach a problem area. Definitely worth a read(it's not that big anyway and we all care about our bodies).
Teemu Suoranta
Lot of good knowledge but book was not the best format for this. Two thirds of contents would have been better and easier to understand as a video series. Book also makes you flip pages back and forth as there is bunch of "read more here" links in Kindle version. One pages had total of five "here" links. All in all, I'm still glad I read it through.
Patrick Caldera
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good, though if you've followed mobility wod online for any length of time or taken their seminar there may be much less new information. The best parts for me were the parts regarding specifically to managing office life for mobility.
yamiyoghurt
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: body
Easy to read, easy to apply. The advice resonate with my beliefs and the mobilization techniques were particularly useful. This book is a good reference for taking care and doing something for the body.
Bas
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's good. If you have read supple leopard there isn't much new here, but it's good for the general population and I think every office should have a copy.
Liaken
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Lots of good stuff. Very big and heavy book, I think to make it seem more "authoritative," but it also made it awkward and burdensome (which seemed at odds with the thrust of the book).
Lindsay
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great reference book from Kelly Starrett. I learned a lot about myself & my own sedentary lifestyle. I learned a lot about posture and some of the areas I need to focus on.
Ikarus
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe zum Glück einen Stehschreibtisch. Und ich habe mir gleich einen Plan gemacht, wie ich noch weniger Sitzen kann.
Jacob Cruzan
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-exercise
This book has great ideas for those that sit at a desk all day.
Michael Scibetta
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kelly's awesome and he knows what he's talking about.
Erin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who works at a desk should read this book. It's full of informative photos with plenty of information on how best to stand, sit, walk, live.
Hokomoko
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Useful. Hardly any fluff.
Claire
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the one. I've been following Kelly's work for a few years now piecing together mobilizations from his site MobilityWOD.com and previous books Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance and Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally, but Deskbound is the one aimed at my non-athlete self.

Even if you are an athlete, you should read this, particularly if you still spend a lot of your day sitting. Everyb
Thomas Douglas
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book about mobility
Ryan Shackelford
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, and many of the same principle included in "Becoming a Supple Leopard". Has great practical application when it comes to standing desk setup, proper spine organization, and tips to improve mobility.

Highly recommended if you are interested in kinesiology, or interested in breaking out of desk jockey posture.
Goodreads Feedback: This topic has been closed to new comments. How manage editions of book? 4 39 Dec 27, 2018 06:43AM
Polska / Poland: Usunięcie edycji 3 21 Dec 27, 2018 04:33AM
  • Complete Calisthenics - The Ultimate Guide To Bodyweight Exercise
  • Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
  • Relax Into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • What the Yuck?: The Freaky and Fabulous Truth About Your Body
  • Fat Loss Happens on Monday
  • Big Fat Lies
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • Unbreakable Runner: Unleash the Power of Strength & Conditioning for a Lifetime of Running Strong
  • Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease
  • Beyond 5/3/1: Simple Training for Extraordinary Results
“the cold, hard truth is that exercise will not reverse the potentially harmful and irrefutable effects that too much sitting has on our bodies.” 3 likes
“PRESCRIPTION 5 Low Back and Trunk   This prescription can be used to treat these symptoms and restrictions: Abdominal pain Compromised breathing Hip extension range of motion Hip pain Low back pain Sciatica Spinal rotation, flexion and extension range of motion   Overview Methods: Contract and relax Pressure wave Smash and floss Tools: Small ball Large ball Small bouncy ball or under-inflated soccer/volleyball Total time:  14 minutes   This prescription is great for treating low back pain and supporting the hardworking muscles of your trunk. We’ve established that poor spinal mechanics and sitting can cause adaptive stiffness and irritation in the discs, ligaments, and muscles around your spine and trunk. And when that happens, low back pain is often the result. Although there are other contributing factors to consider, like previous injuries, arthritis, obesity, and stress, we would argue that one of the leading causes of low back pain and trunk-related problems stems from poor posture, prolonged sitting, and a lack of basic self-maintenance. Having spent the majority of this book outlining a protocol for preventing and resolving the issue from a mechanical standpoint, let’s turn our attention to the maintenance side of things. This prescription targets the muscles that are responsible for keeping your spine braced, as well as the muscles that may get stiff when you move poorly or sit for too long.” 1 likes