Start by marking “After (After, #1)” as Want to Read:
After (After, #1)

After

(After #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  74,721 ratings  ·  8,545 reviews
Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way.

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos, and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to.

But he’s also rude—to the p
Paperback, 2nd edition, 582 pages
Published October 21st 2014 by Gallery Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.
Jen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  74,721 ratings  ·  8,545 reviews

Neesa
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anti-feminist, Masochist, People with no self-respect
Recommended to Neesa by: Some girl at school
I am so done.

Look at this. Does this sound like a character we know? (Sorry if it's hard to see.)

Okay, I love Wattpad, but seriously? How can they promote this garbage?

First of all, my reading the book was completely my fault. I know I'm not even a fan of One Direction and I really shouldn't be getting recommendations from people who've never picked up a hard copy of a book before, so this was completely my fault.

My main issue with this book . . . I mean the amount of slut-shaming, romanticizi
Evey
EDIT 11/22/14

“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”

This appears as a quote from After.

THIS. APPEARS. AS. A. QUOTE. FROM. AFTER.

I can't even. I just can't even. My fuck-o-meter exploded with this. Emily Brontë would be choking herself to death if she were alive.

So, really, to those who believe this book is well written and Todd has a way with words, better to know this lovely quote belongs to Wuthering Heights.

* * * * * * *

You know what?

FUCK THIS.

Fuck the industry, fuck the
Sasha Alsberg
Im going to re-read After. I read the Fanfic and wasn't too impressed with it but I've heard from friends that the book is better so i'm giving it another go!
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and it was great. I don't want to spoil anything, so the rest of this review is going to be invisible.
Mila Temnyalova
I don't normally read fan fiction on Wattpad. One Direction fanfiction, even less so. But given that this trilogy nearly has one BILLION reads altogether, I thought to myself: this can't be that bad -- after all, it's literally the most popular unpublished trilogy on the internet right now. I should give it a try.

And I regret it. I'm never again judging a book by its popularity. I honestly have no idea how the movie rights for this were bought, much less how a Big Six publishing house like Simon
Sana
this shit is becoming a movie? [faith in humanity has left the server]
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
First of all I just want to say that I was 100% ready to hate this book with a passion. I’m not a fan of Harry Styles or One Direction (haha this has since changed), but I honestly just wanted to read it so that I could form my own opinion of it and let you guys know how I felt about it.

I want to start off by saying that this was a Harry Styles fanfiction on wattpad that received so many views that it got published. Anna Todd has never written anything else and it’s a fanfiction, so I had to tak
Natalie Monroe
Jun 01, 2014 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this  ·  review of another edition
After blurb reveal:

Hardin? Seriously? You couldn't be bothered to make it an entirely different name from Harry?

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn’t the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every
Angela
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
You can go ahead and judge me for reading thing, it’s okay really, I’m
already judging myself for it. When I first heard of/picked up After and saw that it was originally 1direction fan-fiction I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life. Then I kept seeing people post pictures and reviews on it all talking about how they are now hooked on this series. It physically hurts me to say thing, but I’m hooked too. After is the epitome of what most would call “a guilty pleasure read”. I have nev
♥Booklish Reviews♥

Another fanfiction P2P.

Except instead of using Twilight to establish a fan base, this idiot used British boybander Harry Styles. Now I'm not a fan of One Direction & Co in the slightest, but even I know how messed up this is.

No one knows how this POS/After got out of control. And yea, it is a POS. While reading through the first chapter I was mentally editing it in my brain. Run on sentences, lack of semicolons, past tense bullshit. And knowing that it was bought for six figures by one of
Pearl Angeli
First DNF book of the year.

description

One of the things I hate doing so much is DNF-ing a book because it feels bad to leave it when you've invested yourself in it in the first place. But sometimes you just have to quit because it just doesn't work out for you. And you can no longer fool yourself and hope that things will get better as the story goes.

So yeah.. I DNF-ed this book for these reasons:

1. Writing Style - This book is poorly written and executed. I see so much potentials in this book but it fails
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! After, book 1 of 5. The unlikely against-all-odds romance between tatted rebel Hardin Scott & good girl Tessa Young!

“Hardin is like a drug; each time I take the tiniest bit of him, I crave more and more. He consumes my thoughts and invades my dreams.”

Books in The After series should be read in order:
Book 1: After
Book 2: After We Collided
Book 3: After We Fell
Book 4: After Ever Happy
Book 5: Before

The After series is the epic love saga between flawed rebel bad boy student and edito
Ashleigh 🥀
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
yeah so this was not fuckin great...However, there was this page where there were two Is lined up and I made a doodle:
 photo IMG_8892_zpsfmwk21ym.jpg
Candace
If you thought the 'Fallen Crest High' series was full of angst and teenage melodrama, you haven't seen anything yet! 'After' is like many other teenage/college-aged romances, with all the "end of the world" dramatics...on steroids. I found this book to be equal parts irritating and addicting.

The "adult" part of me has to acknowledge the truth in much of the criticism I've seen regarding this story. Hardin and Tessa's relationship was a train wreck. I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes and thi
Chelsea
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: very-very-bad
update: 11/16/15

wow this review is actually getting some attention, so i read the whole thing again and wow i was so embarrassing. please don't judge me lmao. this was written over a year ago (still hate the book with just as much passion tho)

CORRECTION: this book does not even deserve one star. it deserves 0/5 because you cant even call this thing a "book".

IM PRETTY F****** SURE EVERYONE WHO RATED THIS HIGH DONT EVEN READ REAL BOOKS. YOU ALL JUST LIKED THE SMUT (read: sex scenes)
Karen Mc
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Sometimes you read a story that strikes you hard where you're drifting in the haze left from characters who clenched every part of you. After by Anna Todd rendered me SPEECHLESS for the first time ever after finishing a book. I was left in a DAZE, my mind SPINNING. My heart pounded fast like drums in my chest. I was struck so hard by this TORNADO of a TALE that twisted and turned my heart so many times that I could barely breathe. After removed me from everything where I did nothing but LIVE thi
chan ☆
"u wont to succ my coq tessuh????"
Lia  °booksnpenguins°
Before you read this, please remember that this is my own personal opinion and that, with this very negative review, I'm by no means bashing those who liked this book or its characters.

That being said, I think this is the first time in my reading experience where I wish I could rate a book -5 stars. Why? Because After is the most horrible thing I've ever read in my life.
It praises moral/verbal abuse and very unhealty relationships. Not to mention the slut-shaming and the way it speaks to good gi
peachygirl
I read After when it was the 'It Book' on wattpad a couple of years back. And I'm embarrassed to admit that I read all the 3 books in the series. In my defense, I wanted to see if the girl would grow some balls and dump Harry's sorry ass, which does happen time and again, till Harry strips and Tessa falls head over heels in lust. Needless to say I was repulsed.
The girl in me hated the character Harry/Hardin. But the reader in me was furious with the way the author romanticised abuse.
Still I suff
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is harmful garbage. Don't read it. Just don't.
Evgnossia O'Hara
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, buddy-read, romance
This was my first buddy read along with my girls Mareira and Maria Vrisanaki. I have to thank those two amazing ladies who made the experience unique and one of the funniest in my life! Even though the book was quite terrible, they made me laugh and enjoy the whole process.

I have to admit that the first impression of the story was a positive one. Although, I knew that the first impressions aren't always accurate, I didn't even think about it. I was too into the story and the love interest betwee
Elyse Walters
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook....
Don’t even ask me to explain - or justify!
🧐
Rachel E. Carter
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
You know when you pick up a book you are prepared to hate? Hello book.

*I do not love One Direction. I actually LOATHE all their songs. And their boyband routine and all their mysterious tattoos (you are throwing rocks at me, aren't you?)
*I do not love most NA. I hate the genre's overdone tropes. Look at my TBR. It's 90% YA, 10% NA.
*I love this book.

description

...Yea, throw all the popcorn you want at me. I can't explain it. Well, yes, I can. This book never fizzled out. You know where they fight and then f
Clumsy Storyteller
I loved this book , the story was good enjoyable i read it on Wattpad this summer ( those who did read it on wattpad knows the struggle of waiting for Anna Todd to update a new chapter ! Maaan that was torture) back when the characters were named After one direction members Harry,Liam,Niall, louis, and the douchebag Zayn malik , Sorry pillowtalk but you are a jerk in this series ! There are some things i didn't really understand like WTF is wrong with tessa ! she is painfully naive it was both h ...more
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you

Wow! that ending!

description

I can't believe how addictive this book was.
I'm a directioner, but when this book appeared on wattpad I avoided it. If there's something I don't enjoy is when horny girls who have the hots for Harry Styles project themselves on the heroines of their stories to make Harry f@ck them. It's good that they get some release, but I just don't like reading that, it makes me uncomfortable.

However, after seeing the hate that this book was getting on goodreads I decided to give it a try.
Marnie
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Another book that romanticises an emotionally abusive relationship...I think I'll pass.
Taylor Knight
Apr 03, 2015 rated it did not like it

A couple of my friends had read this book and said they loved to hate it and that they couldn't put it down.
I was insanely curious about this book and I got an e-copy of it and started it right away. First, I'm so glad I don't have a print copy of this book because if I had to look at it on my shelf, I would poke my eyes out.

This book is extremely poorly written to the point that I couldn't even take it seriously. I was laughing so hard at how amazingly crappy the writing. At some point, it st
Farith
Oct 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars.

I read this book a couple of years ago because well, a couple of years ago I saw this even in my soup. I was on Facebook and what appeared? AFTER. Goodreads? AFTER. Instagram? AFTER. Everyone was talking about it and to be honest I'm quite relieved they don't anymore? Why? Simply because this is trash, yes this is trash. And if you don't believe me try to read the entire book without hating any of the characters or the flat plot.

Let's start with TESSA. Tessa Tessa Tessa... My dear Tes
Nicis
Dec 07, 2014 marked it as never-reading-this  ·  review of another edition
NO VOY A LEER ESTO. JAMÁS DE LOS JAMASES. DEJEN DE RECOMENDÁRMELO, POR FAVOR. SI QUISIERA LEER FANFICTION LO HARÍA (Y HAGO) A TRAVÉS DE FANFICTION.NET

• The World Rose
  • Finding Cassilia
  • Dusty
  • A Proscriptive Relationship
  • The Blessing and the Curse
  • Finally...One Summer (Just one of the Guys #2)
  • Starlight (Starlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Kathleen Hale Is a Crazy Stalker
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Geminiderne (Spektrum, #2)
  • The Other P-Word (In Other Words, #3)
Anna Todd is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of the After series, The Spring Girls and The Brightest Stars.

Hailed by Cosmopolitan as “the biggest literary phenomenon of her generation,” Todd began her career on the social writing and reading platform Wattpad where she wrote stories on her phone, publishing a chapter almost daily for over a year. Her hobby soon became h

After (5 books)
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • After We Fell (After, #3)
  • After Ever Happy (After, #4)
  • Before (After, #5)
“Just because he can't love you the way you want him to doesn't mean he does't love you with everything he has.' Liam says.” 436 likes
“I can't help but think of the phrase '' sometimes it is better to be kept in the dark than be blinded by the light.” 197 likes