Start by marking “After (After, #1)” as Want to Read:
After (After, #1)

After

(After #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  98,574 ratings  ·  10,689 reviews
Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way.

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos, and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to.

But he’s also rude—to the
Paperback, 2nd edition, 582 pages
Published October 21st 2014 by Gallery Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.
Jen There aren't any differences; they're both trash…moreThere aren't any differences; they're both trash (less)
Jen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  98,574 ratings  ·  10,689 reviews

Start your review of After (After, #1)
Neesa
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anti-feminist, Masochist, People with no self-respect
Recommended to Neesa by: Some girl at school
I am so done.

Look at this. Does this sound like a character we know? (Sorry if it's hard to see.)

Okay, I love Wattpad, but seriously? How can they promote this garbage?

First of all, my reading the book was completely my fault. I know I'm not even a fan of One Direction and I really shouldn't be getting recommendations from people who've never picked up a hard copy of a book before, so this was completely my fault.

My main issue with this book . . . I mean the amount of slut-shaming,
Evey
EDIT 11/22/14

“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”

This appears as a quote from After.

THIS. APPEARS. AS. A. QUOTE. FROM. AFTER.

I can't even. I just can't even. My fuck-o-meter exploded with this. Emily Brontë would be choking herself to death if she were alive.

So, really, to those who believe this book is well written and Todd has a way with words, better to know this lovely quote belongs to Wuthering Heights.

* * * * * * *

You know what?

FUCK THIS.

Fuck the industry, fuck the
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and it was great. I don't want to spoil anything, so the rest of this review is going to be invisible.
Sasha Alsberg
Im going to re-read After. I read the Fanfic and wasn't too impressed with it but I've heard from friends that the book is better so i'm giving it another go!
Mila Temnyalova
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read fan fiction on Wattpad. One Direction fanfiction, even less so. But given that this trilogy nearly has one BILLION reads altogether, I thought to myself: this can't be that bad -- after all, it's literally the most popular unpublished trilogy on the internet right now. I should give it a try.

And I regret it. I'm never again judging a book by its popularity. I honestly have no idea how the movie rights for this were bought, much less how a Big Six publishing house like Simon
chan ☆
Apr 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
"u wont to succ my coq tessuh????"
Sana
this shit is becoming a movie? [faith in humanity has left the server]
ashleigh
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
yeah so this was not fuckin great...However, there was this page where there were two Is lined up and I made a doodle:
 photo IMG_8892_zpsfmwk21ym.jpg
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
First of all I just want to say that I was 100% ready to hate this book with a passion. I’m not a fan of Harry Styles or One Direction (haha this has since changed), but I honestly just wanted to read it so that I could form my own opinion of it and let you guys know how I felt about it.

I want to start off by saying that this was a Harry Styles fanfiction on wattpad that received so many views that it got published. Anna Todd has never written anything else and it’s a fanfiction, so I had to
Angela
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
You can go ahead and judge me for reading thing, it’s okay really, I’m
already judging myself for it. When I first heard of/picked up After and saw that it was originally 1direction fan-fiction I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life. Then I kept seeing people post pictures and reviews on it all talking about how they are now hooked on this series. It physically hurts me to say thing, but I’m hooked too. After is the epitome of what most would call “a guilty pleasure read”. I have
Natalie Monroe
Jun 01, 2014 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this  ·  review of another edition
After blurb reveal:

Hardin? Seriously? You couldn't be bothered to make it an entirely different name from Harry?

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn’t the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every
♥Booklish Reviews♥

Another fanfiction P2P.

Except instead of using Twilight to establish a fan base, this idiot used British boybander Harry Styles. Now I'm not a fan of One Direction & Co in the slightest, but even I know how messed up this is.

No one knows how this POS/After got out of control. And yea, it is a POS. While reading through the first chapter I was mentally editing it in my brain. Run on sentences, lack of semicolons, past tense bullshit. And knowing that it was bought for six figures by one
Pearl Angeli
First DNF book of the year.

description

One of the things I hate doing so much is DNF-ing a book because it feels bad to leave it when you've invested yourself in it in the first place. But sometimes you just have to quit because it just doesn't work out for you. And you can no longer fool yourself and hope that things will get better as the story goes.

So yeah.. I DNF-ed this book for these reasons:

1. Writing Style - This book is poorly written and executed. I see so much potentials in this book but it fails
Charlotte
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

! After, book 1 of 5. The unlikely against-all-odds romance between tatted rebel Hardin Scott & good girl Tessa Young!

“Hardin is like a drug; each time I take the tiniest bit of him, I crave more and more. He consumes my thoughts and invades my dreams.”

Books in The After series should be read in order:
Book 1: After
Book 2: After We Collided
Book 3: After We Fell
Book 4: After Ever Happy
Book 5: Before

The After series is the epic love saga between flawed rebel bad boy student and editor
Lia
Mar 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Before you read this, please remember that this is my own personal opinion and that, with this very negative review, I'm by no means bashing those who liked this book or its characters.

That being said, I think this is the first time in my reading experience where I wish I could rate a book -5 stars. Why? Because After is the most horrible thing I've ever read in my life.
It praises moral/verbal abuse and very unhealty relationships. Not to mention the slut-shaming and the way it speaks to good
Chelsea
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: very-very-bad
update: 11/16/15

wow this review is actually getting some attention, so i read the whole thing again and wow i was so embarrassing. please don't judge me lmao. this was written over a year ago (still hate the book with just as much passion tho)

CORRECTION: this book does not even deserve one star. it deserves 0/5 because you cant even call this thing a "book".

IM PRETTY F****** SURE EVERYONE WHO RATED THIS HIGH DONT EVEN READ REAL BOOKS. YOU ALL JUST LIKED THE SMUT (read: sex
Candace
If you thought the 'Fallen Crest High' series was full of angst and teenage melodrama, you haven't seen anything yet! 'After' is like many other teenage/college-aged romances, with all the "end of the world" dramatics...on steroids. I found this book to be equal parts irritating and addicting.

The "adult" part of me has to acknowledge the truth in much of the criticism I've seen regarding this story. Hardin and Tessa's relationship was a train wreck. I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes and
jessica
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
everyone: omg. a wattpad fanfic of harry styles got published AND turned into a movie!? fdlafkjdlakdakjsl.

me, an intellectual: niall is actually the best member of one direction and thats a fact.
____________________________________

my boyband preferences (and truth) aside, i really dont know what to say about this. it was... well, it just was.

can i see why its so hated? absolutely. this is one of the most toxic relationships (real or fictional) i have ever seen. i have no respect for either MC
Karen Mc
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Sometimes you read a story that strikes you hard where you're drifting in the haze left from characters who clenched every part of you. After by Anna Todd rendered me SPEECHLESS for the first time ever after finishing a book. I was left in a DAZE, my mind SPINNING. My heart pounded fast like drums in my chest. I was struck so hard by this TORNADO of a TALE that twisted and turned my heart so many times that I could barely breathe. After removed me from everything where I did nothing but LIVE
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is harmful garbage. Don't read it. Just don't.
peachygirl
I read After when it was the 'It Book' on wattpad a couple of years back. And I'm embarrassed to admit that I read all the 3 books in the series. In my defense, I wanted to see if the girl would grow some balls and dump Harry's sorry ass, which does happen time and again, till Harry strips and Tessa falls head over heels in lust. Needless to say I was repulsed.
The girl in me hated the character Harry/Hardin. But the reader in me was furious with the way the author romanticised abuse.
Still I
may ➹
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as uhhh-no
in response to my friend request question, someone really said this was their favorite diverse book.....hello goodreads 911
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you've never been on a roller coaster before, this book will fix it. I have read this book 3 times already and I’m not tired of the relationship between Tessa and Hardin. It’s constantly changing and you don't even have time to get bored.
Two fools. Oh God.
Evgnossia O'Hara
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, romance, buddy-read
This was my first buddy read along with my girls Mareira and Maria Vrisanaki. I have to thank those two amazing ladies who made the experience unique and one of the funniest in my life! Even though the book was quite terrible, they made me laugh and enjoy the whole process.

I have to admit that the first impression of the story was a positive one. Although, I knew that the first impressions aren't always accurate, I didn't even think about it. I was too into the story and the love interest
Elyse  Walters
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook....
Don’t even ask me to explain - or justify!
Marnie
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Another book that romanticises an emotionally abusive relationship...I think I'll pass.
Rachel E. Carter
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
You know when you pick up a book you are prepared to hate? Hello book.

*I do not love One Direction. I actually LOATHE all their songs. And their boyband routine and all their mysterious tattoos (you are throwing rocks at me, aren't you?)
*I do not love most NA. I hate the genre's overdone tropes. Look at my TBR. It's 90% YA, 10% NA.
*I love this book.

description

...Yea, throw all the popcorn you want at me. I can't explain it. Well, yes, I can. This book never fizzled out. You know where they fight and then
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards

Wow! that ending!

description

I can't believe how addictive this book was.
I'm a directioner, but when this book appeared on wattpad I avoided it. If there's something I don't enjoy is when horny girls who have the hots for Harry Styles project themselves on the heroines of their stories to make Harry f@ck them. It's good that they get some release, but I just don't like reading that, it makes me uncomfortable.

However, after seeing the hate that this book was getting on goodreads I decided to give it a try.
Books for 20 somethings 7 163 Dec 30, 2019 07:27PM
Movies that are actually better than the Books? 7 55 Dec 30, 2019 04:16PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: After (After #1) by Anna Todd - Restarting May 10th 2019 25 180 May 28, 2019 04:58PM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 119 - After 13 85 May 20, 2019 09:45AM
Inevitable Hessa ...: All Things After 3 28 May 08, 2019 10:27PM

• Did I Mention I Love You? (The DIMILY Trilogy, #1)
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Did I Mention I Need You? (The DIMILY Trilogy, #2)
  • Did I Mention I Miss You? (The DIMILY Trilogy)
  • Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • Paper Princess (The Royals, #1)
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • Culpa mía (Culpables #1)
  • Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • A través de mi ventana (Hidalgos #1)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • Ugly Love
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
ANNA TODD (Author/Writer/Producer) is the New York Times bestselling author of the After series of books, The Spring Girls, and the recent The Brightest Stars.

Always an avid reader, Todd began writing stories on her phone on Wattpad, the reading and writing multiplatform for original stories, with After becoming its most-read series with over 1.5 billion reads.

The print edition of After was

After (5 books)
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • After We Fell (After, #3)
  • After Ever Happy (After, #4)
  • Before (After, #5)
“Just because he can't love you the way you want him to doesn't mean he does't love you with everything he has.' Liam says.” 494 likes
“I can't help but think of the phrase '' sometimes it is better to be kept in the dark than be blinded by the light.” 224 likes