Start by marking “Tails, You Lose (Witch City Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tails, You Lose (Witch City Mystery, #2)

Tails, You Lose

(Witch City Mystery #2)

Her instincts may be killer--but can she catch one this wicked?

After losing her job as a TV psychic, Lee Barrett has decided to volunteer her talents as an instructor at the Tabitha Trumbull Academy of the Arts--known as "The Tabby"--in her hometown of Salem, Massachusetts. But when the school's handyman turns up dead under seemingly inexplicable circumstances on Christmas
Mass Market Paperback, 365 pages
Published March 31st 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Tails, You Lose, please sign up.
chrisa They celebrate Christmas in the first couple of chapters and the rest of the book takes place during January in Salem, MA.

Lynn
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tales, You Lose is the second book in A Witch City Mystery Series. I ordered it after reading and enjoying the first book Caught Dead Handed so much. I found that I liked the first book better but did enjoy this book. What I enjoyed about the first book was Lee was learning how to be a late night TV psychic due to the death of the previous psychic. It was humorous and a unique story line. In this book she is a volunteer instructor at Tabitha Trumball Academy of Arts (Tabby). The Trumball was mai ...more
Ian
What can I say...I just love this series.

From the characters to the location, everything blends in beautiful in these well crafted, plotted and written Witch City mysteries.

This was my second reading and my tarot cards say that it won't be the last! And you know River is very rarely wrong.

If you haven't tried this series yet, you are missing out! So why not go grab a copy of the first book 'Caught Dead Handed' and see what the future holds in your tea leaves?

If you like the review and would like
Kevin
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked parts of the crime story and didn't care for the supernatural parts as much as in the first book, I'll probably read one more book in the series and if it doesn't get better then I might drop it.
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
Another fun edition in the Witch Mystery Series, Tails, You Lose may actually be even better that Caught Dead Handed. I love first books in series…that whole getting to know you honeymoon period with new characters and places. Tails, You Lose did a great job of building on the first in the series.

Lee grows as a character.

I love how much more we get to know her and her personality. We know her back story and her insecurities and can really feel her personal struggle with acknowledging and accepti
Mystereity Reviews
Tails You Lose I struggled with how to rate this one, because the plots in this series are completely fresh and unlike any other book I've read.  Just very creative, unique and thrilling. The writing in this book was even better than the first (which was still a pretty good book) and having read the third book in the series, I know that it's improving as time goes on.

Lee takes a volunteer position teaching TV production at the new Tabitha Turnbull School Of Arts.  Just before the school opens f
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Author Carol. J. Perry has conjured up a good mystery, brewed with a paranormal flare.

Lee Barrett is back in this second installment of the Witch City Mystery series. She’s is a strong protagonist with mystical powers. Cat lovers will simply adore O’Ryan her cat. It was fun reading scenes involving him.

There were wonderful twists and turns. So many that I wondered if it was all done with smoke and mirrors. But it was done by a talented author who clearly loves her craft of writing.

TAILS, YOU
Melodie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I really liked the first in this new series and was happy to find the 2nd was just as good. I had a good idea who the bad guy was, but wasn't sure until almost the big reveal. Lee is a very believable character and I have no trouble buying her "gift". Once she gets a good handle on it, she's gonna be golden! Looking forward to the next one and seeing where Lee's relationship goes.......oh, and Aunt Ibby's, too! Recommend!
Mel Sunshine
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This wasn't as good as the first one but I still enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the point of Lee's 'gift' is when it's mentioned a handful of times and then forgotten like a bad blind date.
Linda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is fast becoming a favorite cozy mystery series for me. This is book #2 and I've read another one- #4 or 5 maybe. I need to find #1. The series are great mysteries with just a touch of the paranormal- after all, the books take place in Salem, MA.

In this book Maralee gets a job as an instructor at the newly opened school for the Arts nicknamed "The Tabby". She has experience as a TV psychic but is now unemployed. The Tabby was previously an old department store belonging to the Trumbells an
Chaitra
I hadn't been majorly impressed by Lee in the first go-around sleuthing-wise, but this time she seems to have learnt some organization and researching. She's also the hot cop's girlfriend, and while he does his job and keeps his mouth shut about most things, he's also genuinely interested in what she can learn independently. I found that non-alpha male crap refreshing. I still like Lee, and O'Ryan is still a highlight whenever he happens to be around. I listened to this on audio. CSA Cooney isn' ...more
Pam
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series. It has a good mix of mystery and ghost story. The characters are fun and likable, and I'm so pleased that the main character (Lee) is not a dimwit. So many cozy mysteries make the characters just plain foolish, so I'm always thrilled when the characters are intelligent.
Sue E
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but...

I like this series, but I found I didn't get into this book as much as I did in the first one. The first book was very descriptive and I felt I could basically see the settings as the author was describing them, but just didn't get the same feel with this book. Hopefully the third one will get back to the original in its tone and story.
Diane ~Firefly~
I really like the characters and setting in these books, but for some reason they are always slow reads for me. This time Lee is teaching a media class in the new Trumbull Academy when a secret tunnel is discovered under the building. This leads to stories of ghosts and gold coins.
Sherry
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This series is what it claims to be: a cozy, quirky, curled-up-with-a-blanket-and-herbal-tea, type read. The background on Salem has inspired me to actually cross the item of visiting there, sooner, rather than later, from my bucket list. On to the next.
Dawn Frazier
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this series, some of my favorite characters. And the setting is the best.
❂ Jennifer
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first book, but I enjoyed it and it held my attention. The cat continues to steal the show.

Slightly wordier review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/127310...
Karen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic follow up book and a great series. I enjoyed this story and loved how Lee grew in this book. I am so looking forward to book 3!
Rachel
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a review copy from the author. All opinions are my own. This review was originally published on RachelPoli.com.

Book Cover

Like the book before it, I enjoy the over. It shows off a lot of what the story entails and the woman on the front is pretty spooky, especially for a paranormal mystery.

First Thoughts

I enjoyed the first book and was eager to read the sequel.

Plot

Lee finds herself in wrapped up in another murder mystery as well as mysteries from the past. With the help of Pete, her d
Roberta Biallas
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-and-own
So I had to take a little break between when I started this book and when I was able to pick it back up again due to Book Club Reading commitments, but it was easy to pick back up and finish. Carol Perry is very good at characterization, though. All of her characters are nicely built up throughout the story. The more I read her work, the more I like it. The only thing that was a little irksome, however, is that there are a few time where she reuses some phrases. But that is minor. What is intere ...more
Bookgirlr
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tails, You Lose is a perfect continuation of the Witch City Mystery series. The world that Perry has created is opened up to us as we learn about the Tabby and the secrets that lie below the town. The character development continues as Lee grows in her career choices as a teacher, and with the persistent development of her psychic abilities. My favorite character is still O’Ryan the cat. His character has developed a lot from the first book in the series; he is more magical in this book, which I ...more
Sean FWJ Fowler
Easy, explained clues to murders in Ultrawhitesvi!le

NASCAR. Country music. Christian church. Boy scout cop. Comfortable wealth. A woman lead perfectly hitting a 1950's stereotype of women.

Those should be the meta tags to this book series. Your reaction to those tags likely tells me your voting behavior.

This is not Salem at all. It should be based somewhere in Texas, maybe.

And then the mystery itself. This is the second I read, hoping it would be better. But these are just really easy mysteries s
Rachelle
This isn’t my favorite series, but I like the location and theme so I’ll keep trying.

Lee is a bit annoying, but I can’t exactly pinpoint why. Also, in the end of this story she just stands and watches [insert killer’s name] sneak up behind a security guard and choke him with a rope - why she doesn’t call out a warning to him is unknown, and kind of dumb.

Also she goes off on this weird tangent where she says she’s not a good driver, but since her husband was a race car driver, she knows how to
Michelle Coleman
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one was a bit harder for me to get into as opposed to book #1 that I couldn't put down. As the chapters went on I really got into it! It was a mystery & ghost story all mixed into one! Plus there was history (even tho I'm almost sure it's made up) I love history and the author telling the history of the old store and characters digging up more history kept me on my toes! I thought I had things figured out only to later be surprised that I was way off track the whole time! The surprise a ...more
Bobbi
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I was beginning to despair over this novel because in the beginning I couldn't get in to it. Even with the death of poor Mr. Sullivan I just couldn't seem to read more than a page or two at a time. But oh boy did that change when I reached the midway point. It went from a fairly boring encounter to not being able to put it down. Such a wonderful story that I didn't let myself truly get into and I won't be making that mistake again. The characters are extremely well written and the story moves al ...more
Morven
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in A Witch City Mystery Series. I listened to the first book on audiobook (a great listen, by the way), but chose the Kindle version for this book.

The author did a great job of developing the cat's character from his fairly normal cat self in book 1 to this one. I think if he had been Magic Cat from the start, I would have had a hard time accepting it.

Speaking of the cat, I laughed at the purple mousie -- that's exactly what I buy my cats, and I think I even know where s
Deb
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Maralee becomes an instructor at a local private school which is in the building that used to be the Trumbull department store. The building is old, has tunnels underneath it, a ghost, And possibly a treasure that has been hidden for a long time. Maralee has a class of six students who have chosen to reenact the life of the Trumbull’s. A handyman‘s death on Christmas eve at the school leads to all sorts of problems. Maralee, Pete and her students begin to sort the mysteries out with the help of ...more
BefuddledPanda
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This wasn't my favorite cozy mystery. It was okay and enjoyable for the most part. But I felt the mystery was too drawn out and there was a lot of Maralee telling other people something happened after it happened. That got a bit tiring and seemed like lazy storytelling. I had expected the paranormal component to be a bigger aspect of the story but it seemed like it appeared only when it was very convenient. I'll give the next book in the series a try but if that one is a let down as well, I don' ...more
Sandra Hernandez
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this series I found the characters interesting as usual. Lee is a good teacher I was sad she wasn't on tv no more but like her new job hopefully she is still their in the next book. I'm glad the aunt is still heavily in the book I like her personality. Overall a nice series this time a worker is killed at first they thought it was suicide. Their were so many questions but as time went on the pieces fit in. Some mysteries I figured out right away maybe not completely but close.
Sherrie
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Actually this is a mystery with paranormal. Lee is a good strong character and since she was also a reporter tends to find out what is going on with her instincts and some of her witch instincts keep her out of trouble. The local handyman does not come home one night and is found out near the lake with someone else's coat and Lee becomes curious as to what really happen because he was murdered at the place she is now teaching a class and there was not way out.
Emily Cullen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Salem, MA born and bred Lee Barrett has a new job as a teaching instructor at the Tabitha Trunbull Academy of the Arts. "The Tabby" is formerly Trumbull's Department Store and is rumored to have a ghost. When the local handyman turns up dead on Christmas Eve, Lee starts seeing visions that might lead to who the killer is. I really enjoy the "Witch City Mystery" series, complete with witches and Lee's clairvoyance. Lee and her Aunt Ibby make a great team and Lee has a nice romance going.

• Familiar Motives (Witch's Cat Mystery, #3)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Be Careful What You Witch For (A Family Fortune Mystery, #2)
  • What's a Witch to Do? (A Midnight Magic Mystery #1)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Daisies for Innocence (Enchanted Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Horse of a Different Killer (Call of the Wilde #3)
  • Keeper of the Castle (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #5)
  • Putting on the Witch (Retired Witches Mystery #3)
  • Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop, #2)
  • Sketch a Falling Star  (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #3)
Carol J. Perry was born in Salem on Halloween Eve. She has written many young adult novels, in addition to the Witch City mystery series. She and her husband Dan live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida with two cats and a black Lab.

Witch City Mystery (8 books)
  • Caught Dead Handed (Witch City Mystery, #1)
  • Look Both Ways (Witch City Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Go Round (Witch City Mystery, #4)
  • Grave Errors (Witch City Mystery #5)
  • It Takes a Coven (Witch City Mystery #6)
  • Bells, Spells, and Murders (Witch City Mystery #7)
  • Final Exam (Witch City Mystery #8)